Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Mt. Airy Options
Jay Dub
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2011 5:09:21 PM

Think how much $2 is. Most, if not all, of us $pend two dollars without thinking about it on a lot of $tupid $hit.
If you want the $port to grow in the future, pay to play has to be part of that future.

:)
perica
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2011 5:25:21 PM

I'm not against the idea of making Airy PTP. I am however very skeptical of the park's ability to enforce any such change. May be a bit of a pie in the sky.
shex44
Posted: Monday, September 19, 2011 1:10:18 AM

Are you guys really that big of snobs? My god, it is a game. A game anyone should be able to play. Sure I have been standing there waiting on someone to walk their dog through a course, or waiting behind someone who has no clue, but come on. Last I checked our taxes play for these parks. EVERYONE'S taxes. To all you holier then thou disc golfers. If you don't like it don't go. Just go to tournaments and complain about them too. Better yet build a course in your back yard and don't let anyone else play there.
rangel
Posted: Monday, September 19, 2011 8:26:44 AM

Adam, and whoever else is helping you.
I am very appreciative of the efforts that has gone into Mt Airy this year. I was very satisfied with the original layout, but find the changing pin locations more fun than an Easter egg hunt.
Thank you.
Tucker33
Posted: Monday, September 19, 2011 5:09:06 PM

First off I would like to start by saying that I think pay to play courses are heading our way. Outside of our area there are many ptp courses and it's just a matter of time till this concept makes it's way to the tri-state. The one problem that I see with this is who will be responsible for collecting the funds. Will it be up to the park, county, etc. How will you pay this person(s)? Just to pay wages in KY you would have to collect $2 from over 13,000 disc golfers in a year. This is based on collecting funds 10 hrs a day 365 days a year. Just rough guesses on hours. You figure more hours in the summer and less in the winter. All of this seams a little much.
AdamJ
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2011 6:49:38 AM

Thanks Rangel, I have been blessed with a small group of great people that have helped make all this possible.

I would like to suggest everyone check out websites for other Pay to play courses to see the actual benefits and data involved. I don't see this actually happening at Mt.Airy but it would be great to have a ptp course in town. Look into Blue Ribbon Pines, Highbridge Hills.

Volunteers needed this week, check the Course Work thread more details please.
Jay Dub
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2011 5:28:33 PM

Tucker, you bring up good points, but none of them have anything to do with the players or disc golf.

How the parks do it is their business and has nothing to do with disc golfers, except we pay the money.
Valet
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2011 8:59:33 PM

I think what Tucker is saying that economically it doesn't make sense and therefore it's not likely to happen. That's all.
Ben Shooner
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2011 2:26:20 PM

Seems more likely for courses on private property than for existing courses in multi-use parks. As mentioned, it'd be hard to enforce at places like Airy. Went out to the Fun Farm near L'Ville this weekend and it was great. $5 to play on a great, well-marked course and we were the only ones there. Well worth it.

agentdozzer
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2011 3:26:05 PM

Yeah I went to Holler in the Hills this weekend, well worth the five buck's.
Erik
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2011 9:48:24 AM

Pay to Play could be done on private lots of land. With the parks, people buy their park pass or pay taxes for the parks and feel entitled to be able to play the course. Same with basketball courts, tennis courts, playgrounds, etc. Public parks will always be subjected to the public. Good or bad players, slow or fast, it is how it will be. I am still questioning what potential revenue is even possible with a private course in this area with so many public alternatives. Sure a nice private course is nice to play every once and a while, but the longevity of paying $5 will fade as it is quite costly. Sure people are wasteful with money, but even wasteful people know $5 on a regular basis is expensive. Compare it to smoking… $5 a day or two is a ton of money. That extra expense will eventually drive down the demand. It will turn into a special occasion park instead a high traffic course and will its revenues will suffer.
AdamJ
Posted: Saturday, November 26, 2011 7:31:03 AM

Course update:  Holes A and B will be pulled out for the winter by December 1st. This is the last week to play those holes.  This is at the request of the Parks department, and will be back in late spring.

As for pay to play concerns,  I truly don't see this ever happening at Mt.Airy.  If the Parks ever insist on making this happen I will do all I can to have them make the area the course covers dedicated to just Disc Golf and eliminate any other amenity.

@Shex44...just so you know none of our taxes go towards City Parks,  the taxes we pay for parks all go to County Parks.

NEngle
Posted: Saturday, November 26, 2011 4:54:31 PM

AdamJ wrote:

@Shex44...just so you know none of our taxes go towards City Parks,  the taxes we pay for parks all go to County Parks.

Adam,

Here's a little education for you.  From http://www.cincinnati-oh.gov/cityparks/pages/-4407-/  : "The Park Board's budget includes funding from the City's General, Capital Improvement and Infrastructure Funds, program and facility fees/charges, a Citywide street tree assessment, investments a from private endowments, and Federal, State and private grants."

Just so there's no confusion, read this:  www.cincinnati-oh.gov/cmgr/downloads/cmgr_pdf44274.pdf

Cincinnati City Parks are absolutely funded by taxes.
AdamJ
Posted: Monday, November 28, 2011 11:11:16 AM

Thank you Nick for finding and posting that.  I did know that City Parks where funded by taxes, I just wanted to see if others would look into this to find the information, like you did.

I also have found the following data about City taxes.  Anyone that lives or works inside city limits pays a 2.1% tax to the City's general fund.  Of that only 1.6 cents per dollar goes toward the general park fund.  I also found that of the city's tax revenue 73% goes toward just 2 departments out of 18 which are Fire and Police.  City Parks budget consists of a average of 60% from taxes(fluctuates per year).  I contacted the finacial department and asked if they had any written data I could look at to see this more detailed info, but they could not.

Thanks again bud,  Hope to see ya out more next year.
Lingo1976
Posted: Monday, December 05, 2011 5:08:53 PM

18's New Tee-pad

STEVO
Posted: Monday, December 05, 2011 8:42:53 PM

Now, how does that tee pad enhance Fred's "360" drives?? laugh
GIES2525
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2011 9:42:48 AM

Hopefully this rain doesnt wash it all away. Unfortunately that tee box is right in the path of the water flow into the woods. Its going to have a serious durability test this week, lets cross fingers it holds up ok!
gary costa
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2011 1:24:40 PM

Body found at mt airy???? I hope it wasn't a disc golfer!
finnhawc
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2011 10:23:42 AM

gary costa wrote:
Body found at mt airy???? I hope it wasn't a disc golfer!

Um... huh?    Feel free to post what the heck you are refering to.   It was found on Oak Ridge Road, near the entrance, btw.
AdamJ
Posted: Thursday, December 29, 2011 7:52:55 AM

This Friday we will be moving a bunch of baskets to alternate pin locations, mostly shorter ones, due to the muddy mess and the current layout being the originals. This will probably stay this way most of the winter months or if we have an event they might rotate around a bit.

Please continue in helping us keep this course clean by picking up trash and fallen limbs from the fairways and nearby areas. A little bit goes a long way, and you can all see how nice it looks when we all pitch in. Thanks to all that have been helping.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Saturday, January 28, 2012 3:09:11 PM

We are having a 3 Man Best Shot Sunday at 1:00. Cost will be 8.00. Includes ace fund. Hope to see you there.   Random Draw.
NatiBuckeye
Posted: Thursday, February 02, 2012 7:40:45 PM

RED DGA baskets look awesome!
discndav
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2012 11:11:10 AM

How crowded is Mt Airy on Sunday afternoon's? I'll be driving over 8 hrs to get there want to know what to expect? (Hoping there is not a tourny is progress this Sunday).

AdamJ
Posted: Thursday, April 26, 2012 9:35:49 PM

You should be fine, no events at Airy that day. Check at the Nati shop for info and ask a few locals to show ya the course. I would but will be at another "course in progress" clearing fairways. Hope you have a great time and thanks for stopping by.
Fosterjon35
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2012 9:56:23 PM

I'm going here Thursday I'm so excited even though I know I'm gonna get my butt kicked , any Tips or anything I should look out for