Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Mt. Airy Options
pcaldwell
Posted: Friday, March 08, 2013 10:48:41 AM

What holes are still available?
AdamJ
Posted: Friday, March 08, 2013 4:10:33 PM

Big Thanks to all those that sponsored a hole. Here is the list, please contact me(513-255-7275) if there are any typo`s, the name listed is what it will read on the sign, final adjustments to the signs will be done on Sunday so anything not brought to our attention by then will be as it is below.
All checks need to be in Fred`s hands by Monday the 11th, if not possible please contact Fred(859-630-4142) and arrange when you can.
Make checks payable to the "Cincinnati Parks Foundation".

1- Nati Disc Golf (logo)
2- Gary #10298, Brayden, Kylie Costa
3- OBryon`s Irish Bar and Grill (logo)
A- Sam Antoline
B- Sam Antoline
4- David Wright - GCFDA League Director 2004-2012
5- Adam Jones #27655
6- Ken Donathan + (logos)
7- Tim Langenderfer
8- The Caldwells - Pete, Karen, Tori, Calvin, Ellie, Bradley
9- OBryon`s Irish Bar and Grill (logo)
10- The Cupp Clan
11- Ryan Warrior#52169, Lisa Albertin, Tim Vandegraft, George Collett
12- OBryon`s Irish Bar and Grill (logo)
13- Jerry Williams#4129
14- Ben Culshaw
15- Crosley`s Bar and Grill (logo)
16- Brad Enzweiler, Matt Sawyer, Tim Blanchet
17- Joshua Lea, Isaac Thorn
18- Guardian Alarm
AdamJ
Posted: Monday, March 11, 2013 9:31:26 AM

We need to know if there are any mistakes or needed changes. Everything you see above is how it will be on the signs. Last chance to make any modifications so please contact Adam or Fred asap, thanks.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Friday, March 22, 2013 10:40:57 AM

If anyone is interested in helping put up tee sign posts today please call me at 859 630 4142 or just show up at Mt Airy. We have removed all the old posts and dug the holes(except for a couple) so all the hard work is done. We just need to put up the new posts. Any help would be appreciated. FYI, I got stuck on hole #11 yesterday(it wasn't as cold as I thought) so I created a mess. I will clean it up asap. New signs are getting made and should be done and installed by the end of next week. Thanks to all that sponsored a hole, it is much appreciated. They are going to look awesome.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Saturday, March 23, 2013 10:26:34 AM

We got most of it done yesterday. Just need 7 more to install. If anyone wants to help, stop by the shop for tools. Ability to use of a post hole digger is recommended. Thanks to Bob Herbert and Sam(didn't catch the last name) for the help on Friday.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Sunday, March 24, 2013 2:55:13 PM

I tweaked something in my shoulder and wasn't able to dig the last 5 holes(#3,A,B,6and 15) and also busted the post hole digger. If anyone is interested in getting a good work out and helping out later this week, it would be appreciated(bring post hole digger if you have one). Serious inquiries only.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Wednesday, March 27, 2013 2:36:52 PM

Here's the deal. Shoulder is still hurting, tee signs will be ready tomorrow. Post hole digger is fixed. I need 5 holes dug by tomorrow so the posts can be ready for the tee signs. First one to volunteer and help Jason will get a Nati incentive package, which will include 1 disc, a Nati minis, a Nati towel. If interested call(513-541-7305 or show up at The Nati Disc Golf this afternoon. Jason will be out there on either 3,A,B,6 or 15. Thanks
Fred Salaz
Posted: Thursday, March 28, 2013 6:12:12 PM

Signs are done and in. Check them out on facebook at The Nati Disc Golf. Thanks to Bob Herbert, Sam ? Jason Kerl, John Reschulte, and James Dillaman for helping in the installation of the signs. Best signs in The Nati.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2013 10:36:07 AM

Today, we move mulch. Anyone interested in helping out stop by Mt Airy. Jeff Armstrong please call me @859 630 4142 I need some tech help. Thanks
sisyphus
Posted: Friday, March 29, 2013 10:10:00 PM

Got that first one posted, Fred, with a 'course condition update' to note it. I'll plan to do more over my spring break (next week), if that's OK. We'll talk more when I visit the 'Nati, OK?
Fred Salaz
Posted: Monday, April 01, 2013 2:57:40 PM

I will be spreading more mulch this week to help keep tees and basket area playable during the normally wet springs we get in the Nati. Call the shop or stop by if interested in helping. Thanks to John Reschulte and Andrew Bruce for helping with the last load of mulch on Saturday. I have big plans for major course improvements at mt airy this spring. Hopefully they will be approved by the parks dept. If anyone sees something that needs improvement let me know, here or in person.
discndav
Posted: Thursday, May 02, 2013 7:57:06 AM

How is Mt Airy affected by the potential 2014 budget cuts? I unofficially heard the golf course is on the list.
AdamJ
Posted: Thursday, May 02, 2013 8:01:10 AM

I am in constant contact with the Parks department and they have not mentioned anything about that. Will check with them next time.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Friday, May 10, 2013 11:17:05 AM

If you are looking for someplace to play this weekend, consider playing Mt Airy. All or most of the baskets and tees have mulch or grass around them so you won't get muddy. All the pins are in the A position(except for #4, needs clearing) so the course is playing easier. Plus its the most beautiful disc golf course in the area. What more could you ask for.
AdamJ
Posted: Friday, May 10, 2013 4:14:56 PM

We have just been informed of the following per Cincinnati Parks,

To Disc Golf Course Users:

Yesterday we recieved some very discouraging news regarding budget from City Managers Office. The proposed reduction of parks budget is severe if not catastrophic. It will include closing of Mt Airy Forest on July 1, 2013 including the disc golf course. If you or any other disc golf couse users want to speak on the park boards behalf please plan on attending the Public Budget Hearings at Duke Energy Center 6pm on Monday 5/13/13.

Myself and the other Club Officers will be attending to speak on our side of things but please feel free to attend for a show of support. There are many other parks that will be closing, like Caldewll and Seymour, plus all restrooms will be closed, all floral beds, and mowing cycles cut in half with other definite cuts I don`t know of yet.
What this means is, if something drasctic doesn`t change in the budget very soon, No more Mt.Airy DGC for atleast a year and probably more. Baskets, signs and other course materials will be removed and stored until the park reopens sometime in the future.
Please help us spread the word, we will be planning for the worst and hoping for the best.
Madmike
Posted: Friday, May 10, 2013 4:23:12 PM

holy ****!
Old Bassman
Posted: Friday, May 10, 2013 5:41:06 PM

It's time to circle the wagons!!!

As Adam said:

If you or any other disc golf couse users want to speak on the park boards behalf please plan on attending the Public Budget Hearings at Duke Energy Center 6pm on Monday 5/13/13.

Myself and the other Club Officers will be attending to speak on our side of things but please feel free to attend for a show of support.
DrewMiller(RH)
Posted: Friday, May 10, 2013 6:58:04 PM

We need to fill as many seats as possible, if you can rearrange your schedule to attend please do so, or if you can, bring the whole family. If you are part of the disc golf community your attendance and participation in this event is greatly needed and sincerely requested. This park is more than just part of our disc golf community it's part of our local and national heritage. It's our nations first large scale urban reforestation project, it is the legacy of thousands of our grandfathers and great grandfathers whom toiled over decades under various depression area programs, it's played host to countless wedding days, birthdays, and graduation parties. Our council members are faced with financial challenges, we not only need to remind them what this Park means to their constituents but that we all have been faced with financial challenges, businesses and families alike, and when we faced these challenges we didn't take the path of least resistance, we rolled up our sleeves and got to work, because that's what Americans do, it's what we expect out of ourselves, and we need to remind them it's what we expect out of them. We need to remind them that the Park has hundreds of visitors everyday, that it attracts people from not only across the tri-state, but regionally as well. They need to be reminded of how Hamilton County and other Metro parks have faced these challenges and if that doesn't get their attention, then they need to be reminded how unpopular a decision this will be to their voters. Thomas Jefferson is quoted with the saying "Dissent is the highest form of patriotism". If there is one thing we disc golfers got down, it's dissent. For once, let's all do it together.
brutalbrutus
Posted: Friday, May 10, 2013 9:13:02 PM

what time are the hearings? they should institute a parking pass system they would raise some cash
Fred Salaz
Posted: Saturday, May 11, 2013 12:30:32 AM

For what it's worth, I would rather the course stay than the shop. Drew if you could speak for us as a group that would be great. Your comments above really hit home. If anything about the shop comes up I'll be able to cover it. If you guys would want to meet and brain storm we could meet at the shop after doubles on sunday. 3ish. I've gotten lots of text's from locals that aren't club members that want to get involved. Hopefully we can save Mr Airy, it just wouldn't be disc golf in Cincinnati without it.
Lingo1976
Posted: Saturday, May 11, 2013 12:36:46 AM

I'm going to throw our visitors log book at them.
Jay Dub
Posted: Saturday, May 11, 2013 6:32:25 AM

This long url below (That doesn't seem to work) is a search on Disc Golf Course Review. http://www.dgcoursereview.com/browse.php My search criteria was a course in the state of Ohio with 20+ reviews. It shows Mt Airy 3rd on the list. This might be some info to add to your presentation for Monday.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/browse.php?cname=&designer=&holes=0&length_min=&length_max=&holetype=0&coursetype=a%3A2%3A{i%3A0%3Bs%3A1%3A%221%22%3Bi%3A1%3Bs%3A1%3A%222%22%3B}&terrain=a%3A3%3A{i%3A0%3Bi%3A1%3Bi%3A1%3Bi%3A2%3Bi%3A2%3Bi%3A3%3B}&landscape=a%3A3%3A{i%3A0%3Bi%3A1%3Bi%3A1%3Bi%3A2%3Bi%3A2%3Bi%3A3%3B}&teetype=0&mtees=&mpins=&num_reviews=20&rating_min=&rating_max=&yem=&yex=&country=1&state=41&city=&photos=&videos=&tourneys=&camping=&nopets=&private=1&paytoplay=1&extinct=&partner=&exclude=&ext_results=0&page=1&zipcode=&zip_distance=&sort=rating&order=DESC
Jay Dub
Posted: Saturday, May 11, 2013 7:32:02 AM

Another thought.
Most don't remember or know but the original reason this course was approved for installation is because they saw it was the first thing they tried that worked to stop the illegal activity going on in the park at the time.
That could be a point used in the presentation.
SamA
Posted: Saturday, May 11, 2013 10:18:50 AM

Well, what a great thing to wake up to after finally joining the club after many years and just donating for two tee signs at Mt. Airy.

As Drew said above, this is larger than just the course. We are being held hostage in Cincinnati by a mayor that tells voters not to sign a petition putting the parking plan up to a vote. The streetcar is a boondoggle that will serve few, while enriching the select as does the parking plan and the sports stadium deals. 

http://www.fox19.com/story/22136408/reality-check-is-saving-the-streetcar-project-really-feasible

I plan to be there on Monday and will do what I can to remove Mt. Airy and the course from being a bargaining chip in this poker game. Please read and watch the Ben Swann clips to educate yourself before the meeting.

As a last resort, I think a pay to play parking pass for only the course area is a good idea.

Jowsepi
Posted: Saturday, May 11, 2013 11:06:13 AM

I would pay to play at Mt. Airy if it meant keeping that course.