Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Mt. Airy Options
Kool Keith
Posted: Thursday, March 23, 2006 10:20:30 PM

Hmmmm...

It sucks that it's going to be the same day as a semi-local (regional?) PDGA event, but an excuse is an excuse is an excuse. There will be a certain group of people there anyway, the ones that come and volunteer everywhere else. Any of those people that have already made arrangements to play in the LexOpen shouldn't feel bad, it's the begining of tourney season and really less than 30 days official notice is a little tough for some people.

I'll be there for you Adam, with bells on. Hopefully we can get some more people up there and make a demonstrative effort to the parks that will have a lasting effect on our future requests.

And, maybe we'll get some work done, too!

I just hope they bring some good pizza...
bkaplan10
Posted: Friday, March 24, 2006 8:05:22 AM

I should be able to be there.  Wasn't planning on going to Lexington this year anyway. 
Fred Salaz
Posted: Friday, March 24, 2006 10:35:19 AM

I don't get it. Why ruin a perfectly good(warm) weekend when you could have done the same work on a cold winter day. That's what I try to do at Idlewild. Don't count on me being there, I'm already committed to going to Lexington. Have fun.
M_Boland
Posted: Friday, March 24, 2006 10:46:25 AM

Indeed for Lexington. Something about that tournament makes me want to go back every year.
Kool Keith
Posted: Friday, March 24, 2006 4:22:30 PM

Fred, I completely understand. I would much rather do the work in the Winter also, but I think that Adam and Pete were really trying to do this cleanup event WITH the assistance of Cincinnati Parks and Rec, and they had this day scheduled long in advance.

If people are already committed to a PDGA tourney, they should definitely go play. People know who goes out and contributes, and who does not... I think you will be safe from whisper-ers Fred. Especially when they play the Supertour at what is basically your course.

Adam, I should be there for you. Same for Missy. Looks like daKappgun and maybe we'll get one or two more. The timing sucks, but if everything was perfect, we wouldn't even have to have a cleanup day.

AdamJ
Posted: Wednesday, April 12, 2006 1:43:49 PM

Anyone coming out to help on April 22nd all you need to bring is yourself.
I will try and get some work gloves and stuff and I understand the park will supply everything else for us. There will be pizza for everyone and I think t-shirts also. We will be moving 7 and 8's baskets to there new homes around the old lodge behind 4's basket, teepads to be done at a later date. If anyone has or wants to bring tools such as rakes, shovels, etc.(except no power tools, park will handle that), that will probably help. If you have a pair of gloves pls bring em.

In the future we may be lookn at alternate tee and basket locations and will need help with those later.

Thank you to all who have helped out in the past and to those that plan on attending. ciyas soon Adam
AdamJ
Posted: Thursday, April 13, 2006 7:00:54 PM

AdamJ
Posted: Sunday, April 16, 2006 6:08:37 AM

Time for the Green-up day is 9am till 1pm, but anyone can come out sooner and stay later if they wish to. Will probably play a round after we are finished.
frizgolf
Posted: Sunday, April 16, 2006 7:42:36 AM

Adam, I'll be there.
Anyone else?
Class?
Beuhler?
Class?
Kool Keith
Posted: Sunday, April 16, 2006 6:04:54 PM

I'll be there.

Missy is on-call this Saturday, so we won't know until late Friday if she will be able to make it. But I'll be there for sure.

AdamJ
Posted: Monday, April 17, 2006 6:29:45 AM

Awesome thanks guys, just a fyi, we will be moving 7 and 8 to their new locations behind the building after hole 4 and placing a few tee sign poles for those and ones for next hole directions. Also gonna try using some mulch on a few tee's to see if that will help the erosion around them. Was just out there this weekend and as usuall trash is pilen up. We may actually move a few baskets to new locations aswell to allow old pin placements to regenerate. Ones in mind are 4, 5, 17 and very tempted to put 16's pin across the new bridge :). 4 and 5 are need the most help but the others are just maybe's. Teepads for new 5,6 will be done at a later date unless i can get that together intme.
discintom
Posted: Wednesday, April 19, 2006 11:34:18 AM

I'll be there and looking forward to seeing everybody.
bobherb
Posted: Wednesday, April 19, 2006 11:59:30 AM

Which holes at Airy are the worse, in terms of trash?
And... are there plans to place anti-litter signs?
bkaplan10
Posted: Wednesday, April 19, 2006 3:42:11 PM

I'll be there. 
AdamJ
Posted: Wednesday, April 19, 2006 8:08:18 PM

I did discuss anti-litter signs with Mr. Parker and he sounded like it may happen. He also told me that he has crews that pick up trash from the 150+ cans throughout the park everyday. I told him that I would do my best to monitor the ones on the course and try and evaluate their use and see if we can figure out a better layout for pickups(every third hole or something that they can access by truck). I also asked about sings for vandalism. Problem there is even if we see it happen its our word against theirs and the cops have their hands tied on that. I do know that at tee;s 3,4,8,11(has a can),16 seem to be the worst for trash usually.
AdamJ
Posted: Wednesday, April 19, 2006 8:11:08 PM

I will be doing new hole sponsors soon for additional baskets and pads and tee signs. If anyone has an interest or knows of any business that would like advertisement please contact me at the number below.

Thanks to all that are coming, Ciya Saturday
AdamJ
Posted: Thursday, April 20, 2006 8:05:04 PM

bump
bobherb
Posted: Friday, April 21, 2006 10:03:09 AM

My girls and I may go to Mt. Airy today, pick up some trash, and place the bag(s) by the shelter near holes 13&14.
I am going to Lexington on Saturday.
Hope you have a good turn out and good weather!!!
AdamJ
Posted: Friday, April 21, 2006 3:47:23 PM

Dispite the rain today, Saturday should be nice.

Ciya ya's there, I may just park back by hole 6. I should be there around 8 or so to get a jump on things.
Ben Shooner
Posted: Friday, April 28, 2006 6:58:27 AM

Played the new layout for the 1st time and the new holes are pretty cool...not quite as challenging as old 7 and 8, but they are nice looking...it'll be interesting to see how scores are affected.
Blotz
Posted: Sunday, May 07, 2006 6:54:35 AM

Played the new holes Saturday. Is there any notice on Hole 1 that the change has been made? I ran into a couple of groups who had no idea and several people who were trying to find them.

They play nice. New six is a harder anhyzer shot than i thought when we put it in. New 7 plays like something at Harbin. The wind seemed worse up there than on 4.

frizgolf
Posted: Sunday, May 07, 2006 6:10:23 PM

There probably won't be a notice until the tee signs get made and tee pads get poured.
AdamJ
Posted: Wednesday, June 07, 2006 2:19:39 PM

Just a few thoughts,

1) How many people would be interested in a Adopt-a-hole at Airy.

2) How many people would like to sponsor a Hole.

All the holes have original sponsors that I plan on contacting soon, some of which may be difficult to reach. Basically we need more cash flow for Tee signs and Tee pads and new pin locations.

Airy will be growing in the future with added holes and alternate baskets and Tee locations. The park dept has informed me they have xtra cash on hand and would like to purchase some baskets and I am debateing on wether they goto Airy or add that long awaited final 9 at Burnett. Comments?
bobherb
Posted: Wednesday, June 07, 2006 2:56:12 PM

Both location/basket additions would be great.
I think the acquisition of the "land" across the street at Burnett would be a huge victory, so my vote would be for Burnett.
Airy is attractive too but if they (the Park) is willing to let us add more holes (at Airy), and they run out of $ after Burnett, I believe we (individuals and the Club) could come up with funding for more Airy baskets.
This is wonderful that the Park wants to allocate $ to Disc Golf!!!
YEA!!!
Could French Park be in the mix soon???
pcaldwell
Posted: Wednesday, June 07, 2006 4:06:20 PM

I think the priority should be on getting the back 9 in at Burnet. Opportunities like that don't come around too often. Once we have the course in, improvements can be made over time. The land grab is the toughest to pull off. Once 18 holes are there, the number of players will certainly increase, because people will drive a much further distance in their car if there's an 18 hole course, rather than a 9. More play will equal more muddy tee pads and erosion, which will better justify the parks to allow or install concrete tee pads.

Mt. Airy would benefit from converting some of the baskets to be able to use alternate basket placements with locking sleeves. It is a bit of work to knock off the concrete, but if the parks were willing to do some welding, we could saw off the original poles below the grassline, and then have them weld on an extention, allowing it to be slid into a sleeve.

Also have to figure out how to renumber the tee-signs without replacing all the tee-signs. There are 3 or 4 damaged signs, a couple more with missing plexiglas covers, which is what allowed some of the damage to the signs themselves, but I don't know if old 7 and 8 will ever be allowed to be installed again. When I talked to the Parks Managers, they were not leaning toward it, but were ok with the idea of us using it for GCFDA tournaments a couple times a year, with temporary baskets. I'm considering that for the Pig, this year.