Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Mt. Airy Options
perica
Posted: Wednesday, June 07, 2006 8:50:02 PM

What are the chances of putting 7 and 8 back in place for the pig? Those holes would be wicked if they grew thick over the summer.
Phil Miller
Posted: Thursday, June 08, 2006 6:17:13 AM

Pete, It's not that hard to knock concrete off the original poles. Concrete doesnt bond that well to metal. When Fred and I reset 3 and 7 a couple years ago and put in sleeves, we just used a 4lb sledge and the concrete came right off in two strikes. If we can get some alternate pins I would be willing to install any new sleeves and clean up any old baskets for this project.
bobherb
Posted: Thursday, June 08, 2006 7:44:24 AM

GO PHIL!!!
-and, Pete, I am glad you see the acquisition of "land" at Burnett (for disc golf) as I do - a great opportunity/victory. The last time we tried to get this land (about 10 years ago) we were defeated by "what", I cannot remember now. Do any old timers out there remember?
Airy is already a great 18 hole course and additional holes would be grand, but, the "land" at Burnett outweighs additional Airy holes, in my opinion.
Where would the additional holes be allowed to be installed at Airy?
discndat
Posted: Thursday, June 08, 2006 10:49:17 AM

I go for 18 at Burnett. Anytime you can get an 18-hole course you get it. Mt. Airy is great as is and yes, it would be fine to improve it, but add another 18 to this area. Burnett 18 would get a lot of play.
bobherb
Posted: Thursday, June 08, 2006 11:13:04 AM

AMEN!!!
STEVO
Posted: Thursday, June 08, 2006 11:48:49 AM

And 18 holes at Burnett would be a good complement to Mt. Airy for tournaments.
bobherb
Posted: Friday, June 09, 2006 10:36:02 AM

AMEN to DAN-O!
There you go and there you have it!
ShortandLeft
Posted: Thursday, June 29, 2006 10:12:26 AM

Hi All,

First time poster here on the website. Actually I'm really new to disc golf as a whole. I just started playing this spring.

I had been playing at Winton Woods, and played Mt. Airy for the first time yesterday, and wow what a difference in courses!

I really enjoyed Mt. Airy's course, but as you can imagine I got lost and confused when looking for #7 and #8. Now after reading all the postings on this message board I now understand these holes have been relocated to behind #4.

So my question is, are #7 and #8 behind #4 Tee or Basket. Also is there any type of marking to let you know where to tee off, since the pads have not been poured yet?

Also what is the total par for this course?

I'm really getting hooked on disc golf, and hope to make it back out to Mt. Airy Forest later tonite to play some more. Thanks for all the help!
dg03
Posted: Thursday, June 29, 2006 10:39:11 AM

you'll find tee for #7 behind the building that is beyond #4's basket. Walk back across the #7 fairway to get to #8 tee.
enjoy!
Kool Keith
Posted: Thursday, June 29, 2006 10:41:58 AM

After you finish playing #4, walk to the back of that shelter, under the pine trees. There's the tee for "new" #5. It's a left to right shot, about 240'. New #6's tee is very out in the field on your way back to the old course. It's about 350' straight ahead.

Neither of the 2 new holes has concrete tees at this time.

Par for the Mt. Airy course is 54. All of them are par 3's. However, if you are just starting, don't be worried if you aren't shooting par - Mt. Airy is one of the old school tough courses.
ShortandLeft
Posted: Thursday, June 29, 2006 1:43:38 PM

Okay now I am somewhat confused...

When I played Mt. Airy yesterday, there were defintely some Par 4's and Par 5's, indicated by the tee markers.

Also I thought it was 7 and 8 that were redone and not 5 and 6?

Thanks for the help...
Rob J
Posted: Thursday, June 29, 2006 2:25:01 PM

tee sign pars are set for recreational players, serious disc golfers consider almost all disc golf holes a par 3 (such as at Mt. Airy -- although hole 10 is more like a true par 4). A few courses like Idlewild that are designed to challenge the top pros have legitimate pro par 4's and 5's. (the tee signs at Idlewild are pro pars, otherwise hole 6 would end up being a par 8 or worse)

7 & 8 were re-done, but since they play immediately after hole 4 it makes sense to re-number the front 9...
ShortandLeft
Posted: Thursday, June 29, 2006 2:30:19 PM

Ah I see.. Thank you very for clearing that up. Headed out to Mt. Airy as we speak for some more fun..

Thanks!
bobherb
Posted: Friday, June 30, 2006 9:25:24 AM

Good job explaining Rob, except, I think hole #10 is actually bordering on being a "par 5". Holes 2, 3, and 4 are definitely par 4's, and are not as tough as #10.
bobherb
Posted: Friday, June 30, 2006 1:51:39 PM

No matter what we call a "54" at Airy, I think it plays closer to a par 60 course rather than 54. When I shoot a 54 there I feel I have broke par.
Not all par 4's are created equal. Hole #8 at Idlewild is certainly easier than Iwild #10 or #13. I think several holes at Airy could be considered "easy" par 4's, i.e. #'s 2, 3, 4, 9, and even 18 with the oak trees getting in the way. Also, as I wrote earlier # 10 is perhaps tough enough to be considered a par 5. Check the average pro score on #10 and the other holes mentioned above and you may find evidence to call the holes par 4's.
I think Chuck Kennedy strictly uses average score to determine the par of a hole. Being an old school ball-golfer, if I cannot drive onto the "green" of a hole in one shot it is at least a par 4. Some holes have tougher second (or third) shots which must be executed to successfully reach a green. I realize this is debatable!!!
Rob J
Posted: Friday, June 30, 2006 5:13:50 PM

Bob, i knew your stance would win a nuanced argument, but i liked my stance for the question: "when you shoot a 58, do you call it par or 4 up?" :)

maybe you could weigh in on the Idlewild controversy i created when i entered scores for the KY States and Masters at Idlewild. I called 72 par for the longs and 67 par for the shorts. Many were up in arms that i didn't call the shorts a par 69. Here was my reasoning. In 2004 shorts were considered par 69 but then we added Hole 2 long basket and hole 16 long basket. My thoughts were that either we had to raise the longs to a par 74 or lower the shorts to a par 67 (otherwise we'd be acting like the longs are equal in difficulty to the shorts on 2 and 16). Since the goal of Idlewild as i understood it was to make the Longs a Pro par 72 (Gold level course designed for 1000 rated players) i figured the two new longs helped bring the SSA for the longs closer to 72. Since the SSA for the shorts is 60 to 62 i figured we needed to drop the course par for the shorts to (at least) 67.

what's your take on all that? :brow
Craig
Posted: Saturday, July 01, 2006 3:33:45 AM

Rob #2 at idlewild doesn't get scored on much better. It's very hard to park the short and if you get a putt it's a long one. Now you have to throw an upshot and your lay in three. When I mess this hole up it's not going from the clearing by the short pin to the long pin.(More so with those dead trees fallen) What is the par on 16 short and long are they both par 4? If so it shouldn't change the course par, it just makes an easy par 4 a tougher one.

Even in ball golf most PGA tourneys are on par 71 or 72 courses. But yet you'll have people come in for the weekend 20 somethin down, go to a different course the same par and only the top few will be under.
Rob J
Posted: Saturday, July 01, 2006 9:50:29 AM

Craig, i think hole 2 and hole 16 long definitely added 2 strokes of difficulty overall. you can say hole 2 is a par 4 long or short but the short par is like 3.5 and the long 4.5 (1 stroke harder). same with 16. 13 plays at least 1.5 strokes harder short to long. to me calling par on the shorts only 3 different than the longs seems silly given that the SSA is 6 to 8 strokes easier from the shorts. the problem is when you try to use whole numbers to get overall par...

am i the only one who thinks calling the shorts a par 69 doesn't make sense now that 2 and 16 long were added?
Kool Keith
Posted: Saturday, July 01, 2006 10:14:48 AM

I think it should be called (AND ENTERED) as a 69.

The difference in 2 is not that much. There are birdies, bogeys, and the occasional duece on the short position. Same for 2 long, only the dueces are few and farther between.

16... I suppose it COULD be a par 3, but it's one hell of a risky one.

How does the course par being entered for tournaments affect rating? Would a higher par equal lower ratings? Vice versa? Somewhere in between?
ShortandLeft
Posted: Saturday, July 01, 2006 6:46:26 PM

Okay so when you guys are talking about short pars and long pars, could you please explain the difference?

Thanks Again for the help!
Kool Keith
Posted: Saturday, July 01, 2006 7:44:47 PM

Unfortunatley, this thread is getting clogged up with Idlewild stuff. The shorts and longs are different pin and tee positions at the Idlewild course. There are some easier (shorter) and more challenging (longer) options at the Idlewild course that both exist at the same time, offering options in round layouts.

There is only on set of tee's and pins at Mt Airy as of right now.

Craig
Posted: Saturday, July 01, 2006 9:12:05 PM

Rob, #4 got pushed back 60 or so foot but it's not a par 4 now. Just cause the hole gets a little trickier you don't a stroke. Like Bob was saying earlier, par fours should be holes that can't be reached(in ball golf) should be about the same except pro disc golfers distances have a greater range difference. So maybe a couple of the easier par 4's can get reached by the big arms.

Playing ball golf if you look at the score card most will have a overhead view of the hole. On each hole it will have a line connecting "dots" where the Ideal shots are. On most the hole take the amount of shots it takes to get to the green, and add 2 for putts and thats the par
Flank
Posted: Tuesday, August 01, 2006 11:35:27 AM

Anybody know when/if anyone will be putting in tee pads or correct tee signs on holes 5 and 6 at Mt Airy?
NEngle
Posted: Wednesday, August 02, 2006 3:02:31 PM

I spoke with Adam Jones last night.  He's been the one taking charge of things at Mt. Airy.  He said there's no real time table on pads/signs.  There may be more news on that after the 8/14 club meeting.
Flank
Posted: Wednesday, August 02, 2006 3:13:25 PM

Quote:
Originally written by NEngle on 8/2/2006 6:02 PM

I spoke with Adam Jones last night.  He's been the one taking charge of things at Mt. Airy.  He said there's no real time table on pads/signs.  There may be more news on that after the 8/14 club meeting.

Thanks for the info. I only asked because I've had more than a few groups of people ask about those re-located holes in confusion, as they are actually #5 & 6, but the signs still remain #7 & 8. Also, those people that don't play the course very often tend to pass by those re-located holes since they are not in plain site. I may post a little sign up there to give direction to go behind the lodge there.