Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Mt. Airy Options
pcaldwell
Posted: Wednesday, August 02, 2006 8:53:49 PM

If anyone has some time and skills - you can make 2 signs for those holes and laminate them and just tape them on the existing tee sign. It would help until permanent ones are produced.

Adam was working on a tee sign/ tee pad effort.

I also talked to the park manager recently, and he's going to see if there's enough money in their budget remaining to purchase either replacement signs or an entire set (my recommendation - so we can rehab the old ones and keep them for emergency usage when some knuckleheads break the new ones). The Parks are trying to purchase some extra baskets to use for replacements or as I tried to convince them, as a deposit on the back 9 at Burnet. He hasn't gotten back to me, yet, on the budget issue.

One more example of the Parks realizing that the DG course is THEIRS and WORTHY of maintenance. Just another example that simple phone calls and letters can pursuade governmental agencies to DO THEIR JOB!
Flank
Posted: Thursday, August 03, 2006 8:46:09 AM

Quote:
Originally written by pcaldwell on 8/2/2006 11:53 PM

If anyone has some time and skills - you can make 2 signs for those holes and laminate them and just tape them on the existing tee sign. It would help until permanent ones are produced.

Adam was working on a tee sign/ tee pad effort.

I also talked to the park manager recently, and he's going to see if there's enough money in their budget remaining to purchase either replacement signs or an entire set (my recommendation - so we can rehab the old ones and keep them for emergency usage when some knuckleheads break the new ones). The Parks are trying to purchase some extra baskets to use for replacements or as I tried to convince them, as a deposit on the back 9 at Burnet. He hasn't gotten back to me, yet, on the budget issue.

One more example of the Parks realizing that the DG course is THEIRS and WORTHY of maintenance. Just another example that simple phone calls and letters can pursuade governmental agencies to DO THEIR JOB!

Thanks for the info as well. Actually, a full tee sign replacement would be great, as you recommended. Some of those up there are very faded and provide little to no direction about the hole. All the baskets up there are fine with the exception of hole #4, where the basket has come loose and leans one way or the other.
TheBestKeith
Posted: Sunday, August 06, 2006 2:13:08 PM

For those who have asked about the teesigns at Mt. Airy, I was able to find out a bit of information. The signs were made by the HALL OF FAMER John David. Here's a bit that I know of him. I haven't done a lot of research, and haven't found any contact information. His PDGA # is 790. From what I know, his last known residence was Atlanta, GA. He once owned (and maybe still does) a company which my father remembered started with a "K"....something like Keunkel, or something. Whoever is interested, you can research a bit more to find some contact information. I'll try to do more research myself, and post any findings.
discndat
Posted: Monday, August 07, 2006 5:07:08 AM

Oh and Kunkel is Patti Kunkel - both her and John are members of the Hall of Fame - Patti was in a recent issue of DGWN doing Tai Chi.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Monday, August 07, 2006 9:08:13 AM

Jason, I wanted to know who actually made the aluminum supports that the tee signs go on. I'm pretty sure IFO didn't make those, I'm thinking they were made locally. Your dad would know.
Thanks
TheBestKeith
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2006 6:09:11 AM

Fred, those supports were designed by my father, and were specially made by a company called Langdon Sheet Metal, my dad knows the owner. You're right, they are aluminum, and they weren't cheap. Message me if you'd like my dad's contact info, to get any more information.

Oh, and IFO DID make those tee signs, FYI.
AdamJ
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2006 6:18:31 AM

Thats the info im lookn for J
call me please :)
AdamJ
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2006 11:13:06 AM

Have taken new hole measurements and pulled the tee signs for the next few days in order to have the new ones made up. Sorry for any inconvience, please be patient and the new signs should be ready shortly.

Hole four will be getting a new basket installed

Yes Shick, as far as I know we will be playing the original 7 and 8 with the use of temp baskets, I plan on using the Bengals basket I got from Fred on 8 so all I need is a volunteer to bring one for 7.
pcaldwell
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2006 12:58:20 PM

Great job, Adam.
Yes - we'll be playing old 7 and 8.
Flank
Posted: Friday, August 11, 2006 2:49:05 PM

Quote:
Originally written by AdamJ on 8/11/2006 2:13 PM

Have taken new hole measurements and pulled the tee signs for the next few days in order to have the new ones made up. Sorry for any inconvience, please be patient and the new signs should be ready shortly.

Hole four will be getting a new basket installed

Yes Shick, as far as I know we will be playing the original 7 and 8 with the use of temp baskets, I plan on using the Bengals basket I got from Fred on 8 so all I need is a volunteer to bring one for 7.

right on man. Much thanks for the effort. If you need any help with the course setting up for the tournament, I may be able to help. I'm less than a minute from Mt Airy. Shoot me a PM if you might need some help.

pcaldwell
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2006 7:15:01 PM

Thanks go to Adam Jones and Keith Dailey and Fred Salaz, who have been working on a new set of tee signs for Mt. Airy. They look sweet - and will be set up for the new set up with the holes behind the lodge.

You'll see some significant changes to some of the distances - some were way off (because the original signs were printed before we poured the tee pads, where some adjustments were made). Plus, some of the baskets were shifted for the 98 Worlds.

Attached is an example.

Thanks guys.
This is the kind of energy we need around here - see a need and fill it!
Fred Salaz
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2006 7:18:26 PM

Keith has been a huge help. Brad Anderson has stepped up as well. Hopefully the sign guy can come through.
Kool Keith
Posted: Thursday, August 24, 2006 8:40:41 PM

Brad did ALL the work on the initial set of signs we had. ALL OF IT! I massaged a few things to get it to print, but Brad did most of the work on this (and did a DAMN good job, too).

I did get the vinyl GCFDA banner done also. It LOOKS great and is in my possesion. Very happy with the way it turned out.

AdamJ
Posted: Sunday, August 27, 2006 4:44:50 AM

Big THANKS to everyone that stepped up to help out at Airy these past few weeks. Play well well and have a great weekend.
Craig
Posted: Monday, August 28, 2006 4:39:15 PM

About making the two new holes harder, you could move #5's tee pad back so you go through the pines and keep it a little lower and still make it turn that much. And #6 I see most people go right and long, so I wouldn't move the basket that way maybe just extend the tee a little. ???????
perica
Posted: Monday, August 28, 2006 5:57:57 PM

Why not have the hole 5 tee over near 6 basket and then play to the normal pin placement for hole 5? After that, you could play along the back of the building to a pin placement near the road for 6.
AdamJ
Posted: Tuesday, August 29, 2006 4:08:55 AM

To help answer a few ?'s, New hole 5 basket is actually just in front of a walking trail and has already come into some conflict with walkers and I have been asked to adjust its placement. As to were, I was pondering clearing out a very long yet narrow section of the woods left of the pin to bring play back into the wooded area to try and keep the same level of difficulty the previous old 7 had. This may involve changing the current Tee position aswell, possibly moving the Tee out more and further to the left. Won't know for sure till I discuss this with The Park dept. and others.

As far as new hole 6 I want to push it back further another 80-100 ft. into that small round clearing behind its present position. This could be a permanent position or hopefully an added pin sleeve.

Thank you all for the ideas and keep em comin.
bobherb
Posted: Tuesday, August 29, 2006 1:30:35 PM

Hey Blotz, you have a good point but, Airy was designed to be exceptionally challenging. The greater Cincy area has "many" easier courses where you can get lots of easy deuces. Making the two holes tough just keeps with the flavor/following suit with the rest of the course.
Phil Miller
Posted: Tuesday, August 29, 2006 2:20:51 PM

I think there should be a pit of fire and 3 tiger traps between each of these holes. That way it's not only challenging but life threatening as well.

Craig
Posted: Thursday, August 31, 2006 8:25:23 AM

Yeah #5 doesn't need changed it's nice having a lefty hole on the course.
frizgolf
Posted: Thursday, August 31, 2006 10:06:24 AM

Another case of seeing a post in the Recent Threads preview, but not showing up in the thread...

So, I'll bump it just to read the last post...
berto
Posted: Saturday, September 02, 2006 11:03:51 AM

In response to the points on the pig thread, 5 and 6 need to be reconfigured. what if you started where the current basket for 5 is and changed the direction of the hole.... then have the basket down the treeline to the right... have 6 be an uphill around and past where the basket is now. then you have two lefty shots in a row.( somewhat more difficult to most righty/backhanders ).....whatever happens they need to be changed.
rangel
Posted: Friday, September 08, 2006 5:22:56 AM

I hope you didn't think the deer droppings were a problem....:uhoh laugh
Phil Miller
Posted: Sunday, September 10, 2006 4:57:12 PM

I hope Adam or the park pulled the basket, but I am afraid the new hole 6 in the back by the old lodge is gone. We played some doubles out there today and there is just a big hole there. If it's stolen I have two words.
People Suck.
frizgolf
Posted: Sunday, September 10, 2006 5:05:56 PM

It was there Friday when I played.
When I saw Karen and Jim out there today, they said it was gone yesterday when they played.