Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Mt. Airy Options
Fred Salaz
Posted: Friday, January 19, 2007 10:23:52 AM

A lot of the erosion could have been avoided if the club would have dug out a hole for the tee pads instead of laying them on top of the ground. But that's water under the bridge.
Keith, contact him today and set something up for next Monday or Tuesday. I can meet him anytime on either day.
You should run for office....
M_Boland
Posted: Friday, January 19, 2007 10:59:37 AM

where is the "club money" at? gravel isn't that expensive. It's all about man hours. You have 10+ people working on the course, you will get things done.
Kool Keith
Posted: Friday, January 19, 2007 11:44:55 AM

I agree Mr. Boland.

I think there's enough of a motivated base for the cause of Mt. Airy to make this happen.

Club money I don't foresee being a problem. Best case would be for Cincy to drop a load off (I'm sure they have mounds of it available for other uses), but I think I can get enough support from both sides of the aisle to help preserve one Cincy's most loved courses.

Flank
Posted: Friday, January 19, 2007 12:02:17 PM

I'm in for any maintenance of Mt. Airy. I dont know most of you guys, but i've played with a few members i think. Namely Hans, Russ, and Adam. I live right down the road from Mt Airy, so count me in if you guys ever decide to work on the course.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Tuesday, January 23, 2007 1:02:39 PM

Keith, any word from Mt Airy about gravel?
Kool Keith
Posted: Tuesday, January 23, 2007 1:20:46 PM

No, not yet.
RBFaul
Posted: Wednesday, February 07, 2007 3:55:39 PM

Ugh... Mt. Airy. It's the closest course to me (within about 5 minutes), and yet my circle of friends and I always avoid playing it (I think in the three to four years I've thrown, we've thrown it twice), and certainly not because of its difficulty.

1. It's subject to vandalism, albeit stemming from either pranks (thanks mostly to LaSalle HS as some have mentioned seeing in the past doing such acts as dumping the garbage to destroying part of a hole) or profit (Haiwaian Terrence isn't a real nice piece of town... okay, it's like Over-The-Rhine-Lite).

2. Its layout goes over picnic grounds, making it an absolute annoyance to play in the warm weather -- especially having to deal with those guys that wanna throw while they're drinking. That's saying nothing about the litter that comes with it.

3. The park system's almost unwillingness to help out the situation.

I know that we would love to throw Mt. Airy more, and even adopt a hole if we knew it wasn't going to be a money sink (whereas I'm putting in improvements multiple times due to the above mentioned theft or vandalism - erosion isn't something that I would let deter me as I would want to have the best hole possible in the course). It would seem that something major would have to happen to the course in order to get it improved or it would be removed completely (I would be very curious to see what the park service would do if all the holes got pilfered). Is there any chance/talk of the course being possible rerouted or moved completely to another portion of the park, further away from the geographical spots I mentioned above?

Sorry ahead of time if this seems like :censoring - believe me, it depresses me that this popular course always has constant problems.
Blotz
Posted: Thursday, February 22, 2007 8:04:50 AM

(Haiwaian Terrence isn't a real nice piece of town... okay, it's like Over-The-Rhine-Lite).

Having lived in both neighborhoods.. trust me Haiwaian Terrace makes OTR look like Frickin paris... 

RBFaul
Posted: Saturday, February 24, 2007 7:05:40 AM

Quote:
Blotz - 2/22/2007 8:04 AM

Having lived in both neighborhoods.. trust me Haiwaian Terrace makes OTR look like Frickin paris...

Bonjour! Pourriez-vous passer s'il vous plaît le tuyau de fissure?
AdamJ
Posted: Tuesday, February 27, 2007 6:29:22 AM

Quick update:

I will be meeting with Larry Parker sometime this week to discuss our goals this year and primarily find out some info about Burnett, at the time he is predisposed with all the critical damage that this winter has caused in the city parks.

There is a large pine tree that has fallen over the path from hole 2 to 3. PLEAE BE CAREFULL. It hasn't completely fallen yet. I have brought it to Larry's attention already and will be delt with soon.

I will be heading up clean-up days on saturdays from this upcoming weekend from 10-2pm.
Will have bags and gloves available.
May even have donuts and coffee if that sounds good to you all.

Any questions or concerns contact me at 513-255-7275

More to come soon
Thanks,
Adam Jones
Fred Salaz
Posted: Tuesday, February 27, 2007 9:40:23 AM

Adam, any news on getting the basket on #6 replaced?
AdamJ
Posted: Thursday, March 01, 2007 4:24:43 AM

I will be meeting with Larry this weekend and will have alot of news for everyone real soon.

New holes 5 and 6 will be changed slightly and hopefully he passes most of our ideas on beautifying the course.

Fred, call me sometime if ya can.

Saturday clean up days at Mt. Scarey are back in full effect.
10-2pm. please contact me at 513-255-7275 to give me some idea of how many will be showing in order
to provide enough tools and refreshments please.

Thanks, Adam
AdamJ
Posted: Saturday, March 03, 2007 4:48:27 AM

Morn'n eveyone., Hope to see some peeps out there today

Mostly I would just like to see trash and fallen limbs and stuff picked up.

I have to help my brother beforehand so I'm not sure if I will have time to stop for refreshments prior to getting to Airy by 10 am.

Ciyas in a few hours
Adam
AdamJ
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2007 6:40:17 AM

Just like to give a huge THANKS to Mike McGue for showing up to help out yesterday.

Nice to see that atleast one person could make it. But hey, I'm not mad, I understand the weather wasn't exactly wonderfull and many already had plans. Hope to see more in the upcoming events.

I did meet with Mr. Parker and we chatted about some issues that need to be taken care of.

1. He forgot that he had an xtra basket to replace hole 6 and will let me know when he remembers where they
stored it. Going to get back to me on ordering other baskets.

2. Burnett getting a back 9 and replaceing hole 9 will go forward with his encouragement this year.
2a. Teepads for Burnett: I ran the idea of using pavers for tees to keep that oldschool image of the area and he
really liked that and will let me know.

3. We also discussed haveing a seperate Green-up Day to work with the parks Maintenace Dept. other than the
City's April 28th Green-up Day since it shares the same weekend as the Lexington Open. We might use
another weekend in April to allow more volunteers from the club to attend. This was his idea aswell.

4. Did not have time to show him any new layouts for moving hole 5 and 6 but will meet with him again soon to plan
it out.

5. We are going to tryout a paver system in front of the Teepads that holds topsoil and aloows for grass to grow
through them, more news on that soon.

6. Gravel to be used in certain areas like 3's path down the fairway and the path leading to 4's Tee and such are
Ok'd. Other options to decrease eroison are being discussed also, more to come later.

7. I will be contacting some of our local Lumber Distributors that I deal with about sponsoring aka. donating
materials for beautifying the course (new benches, Board sign, etc.). This will have to be done on behalf of the
GCFDA rather than the Parks dept, since they already have contracts with Home-Depot and we need to keep this
a seperate matter.

More to come very soon. Hope to seeyas on the course, play well and take care

Adam Jones

pcaldwell
Posted: Sunday, March 04, 2007 6:52:52 PM

Excellent Adam! See - eventually even the Parks Department can be worn down with the noise of the squeeky wheel. If your talking about the pavers with the open pattern that people use for driveways - where grass grows through the openings and from the side they look like a lawn, but they can bear the weight of cars without indenting, then I think that would be a good solution for the mud at the end of the teepads at Airy, and even a decent tee pad itself for Burnet.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2007 7:33:34 AM

Even though the parks are finally starting to come around the overall club participation in course work is pretty pathetic. I'm not talking about the members that are involved with running the course challenges or club functions but your everyday disc golfer. Seven people at Banklick and only two people at Mt Airy is sad, very sad. The parks can't do it alone and the courses are getting more and more play, hence more damage and erosion to all the courses.
I know I'm wastiing my time but if we could all just pick up one piece of trash or one downed limb off the the fairway it would go a long way in helping out the parks and those of us that do care what our courses look like.
I'd like to see the club concentrate on more course improvement projects and loosing up the purse strings so that we(the people that do work) don't have to spend our own money on projects we want done.
RBFaul
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2007 10:20:06 AM

Hey Fred, would it be out of the question to making a new officer position within the GCFDA that would be in charge of scheduling/running clean-up days and keeping a general eye out for issues on courses? Also, would it be pertinent to have a fundraiser held where the funds would go directly to the clean up of the courses?
Kool Keith
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2007 10:39:25 AM

Those things sound like great ideas.

We currently have "course pros" that really are nothing more than titles in most cases. Adam is the exception. The rule is out there in the minutes somewhere, if you'd like to look that up (if you can find the minutes).

A central course adviser would be a great idea. It would take guesswork out of who you should talk to if you have comments or complaints about a course (other than the local presiding parks dept). It would also be a great intermediary between the people who play and the people who complain.

If we were to do this, I'd love to see the position given a budget from the GCFDA. That way, we can do things like fix/replace baskets, teepads, signs and cleanup on an as needed basis, with the surplus being diverted to course remodeling and projects.

A course care/maintenance fund raiser sounds like an EXCELLENT idea.
NEngle
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2007 2:13:05 PM

There will be another cleanup day at Airy on Sunday, March 18th. I'm sure Adam will post more soon but I just wanted to let people know.

Some of the things I think he hopes to accomplish are:

-Clean up the fallen limbs from the ice storm. There are several areas that are pretty bad.
-Hopefully plant the newly redesigned holes 5 & 6. This depends on if the parks can find the pole hole they have & if they approve the design (I think they will).
-Gravel some of the perpetually muddy areas.

This is the Sunday before the Course Challenge there, so it's the perfect opportunity to make the place look it's best for a tournament. There will be another cleanup day in April like we had last year, with parks help & stuff.
bobherb
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2007 2:42:49 PM

If some gravel could be dropped in piles near the aforementioned areas, volunteers could show up with wheel barrows and shovels to distribute said material at their convenience.
berto
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2007 2:47:23 PM

Sorry I couldn't make it saturday.... I will be out at the next one. We need to get more people involved.. We should send out e-mails. and make phone calls to bring more folks out.
Kool Keith
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2007 3:53:53 PM

Good Idea Rob.

We could use the message board as a way to communicate, as in, have the message board admin send an email notification to all users signup email that we are having a cleanup or tourney event.

Privacy concerns are there, of course, but if you signed up for a DG message board, then I believe that you are asking to be informed of the DG scene in the area, and that includes notifications for things like this. You could opt out of future messages I'm sure.

There's only one member who has the keys to start that vehicle though - Paul, how about it?
NEngle
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2007 7:01:56 PM

Quote:
NEngle - 3/5/2007 4:13 PMThere will be another cleanup day at Airy on Sunday, March 18th. I'm sure Adam will post more soon but I just wanted to let people know.Some of the things I think he hopes to accomplish are:-Clean up the fallen limbs from the ice storm. There are several areas that are pretty bad. -Hopefully plant the newly redesigned holes 5 & 6. This depends on if the parks can find the pole hole they have & if they approve the design (I think they will).-Gravel some of the perpetually muddy areas. This is the Sunday before the Course Challenge there, so it's the perfect opportunity to make the place look it's best for a tournament. There will be another cleanup day in April like we had last year, with parks help & stuff.
AdamJ
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2007 7:14:26 PM

Thanks Nengle, ya beat me to it.

Like he said, Sunday the 18th at Airy

Time will be from 12 till 4 basically,

I have my brothers bachelor party that previous day/nite and
the fact that the 17th is not only St. Patricks day it is also March Madness
which I hope many of our club members
attend and represent :censor

As far as what will be on the agenda, more on that soon.
Hopefully the new placements of 5 and 6.

I will be out there this weekend, probably a few hours on both saturday and sunday.
Will post later on times. But probably the 12-4 format.

Laters peeps.
Adam
Flank
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2007 8:28:01 PM

Hey Adam, this is Jack, i played a few times with you, Hans, and Russ if you remember. I should be able to make it out this weekend to give you a hand, probably both days. Just post the times you will be out there.