Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Tuesday evening Ace Fund Options
matthew_blakely
Posted: Tuesday, August 14, 2007 6:54:25 AM

Is it at Airy tonight?
Fred Salaz
Posted: Tuesday, August 14, 2007 7:53:15 AM

Yes, Mt Airy again this week. I won't be there again, 25th Anniversary, that's why.
Liz
Posted: Tuesday, August 14, 2007 8:57:51 AM

congrats Freddie, I still have your Pro Wraith...
Fred Salaz
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2007 6:51:09 AM

Due to the fact that doubles will be at Mt Airy on Friday, the Tuesday ace fund will be at Harbin tonight. More ace opportunities and a chance to practice the course for the pig. Bring a basket if you can so we can set up the temp holes. Thanks
Fred Salaz
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2007 2:31:53 PM

Tuesday ace fund will be at Idlewild this week. Bring your A game.
EliteZPuttr
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2007 4:48:01 PM

Fred, you seem :censory. Did I read it correctly that you lost a Wraith disc?....rookie mistake. Be careful at calling yourself an extreme veteran.
EliteZPuttr
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2007 4:48:54 PM

In my last post I said c o c k y. I didn't realize it would get censored.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2007 5:29:39 PM

EliteZ, not sure what you mean? Please elaborate...
Liz
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2007 5:53:30 PM

Don't think he was calling himself an "extreme veteran", it's his status on the message board according to how many posts he has made....Why would losing a Wraith at Pro Worlds be a "rookie mistake"?
EliteZPuttr
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2007 7:57:28 PM

I don't know the man personally....but some of his posts seem short and condescending. i.e. someone posted that they notcied a lot of trash on Monroe - Salaz made a quick short response "did YOU pick up any trash on the course." I didn't know that disc golfers were now Rumpke trash men or park employees. In another post, he told an out-of-towner that he better "bring your A game." Also, I saw a post where Salaz said that he was tired of dealing with the weather. Just seems a bit c o c k y to me. Maybe Salaz can prove me wrong and that I am just interpreting his posts in the wrong way. I just don't want one of Cincy's pros to come across as a typical roid-head deusch bag athelete. This sport was started by mellow dope-smokin hippies, and that should be the image that continues. Hopefully Salaz can prove that I am wrong...just haven't seen it yet.
KevinB
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2007 8:44:40 PM

Fred Salaz was just inducted into the Disc Golf Hall of Fame this year. A huge reason for that induction was because he believes in giving back to the sport of disc golf. Be it showing a new player some tips, volunteering countless hours of course work, or picking up a piece of trash on a course he didn't put there, Fred is constantly giving back to the sport of disc golf.
He is not the only one that thinks, if every player picked up just one piece of litter on a course and put it in a trash can it would make a huge difference to making the course that much more beautiful. You don't have to be a trash man or park employee to care about where you play.

It's safe to say Fred doesn't come across as a "typical roid-head", but I'm pretty sure he could out throw you.

As far as bringing your A game, Idlewild is ranked one of the most challenging courses in the country by the PDGA and Fred has a lot to do with that in the designing of the course. He's just giving people a heads up, that if you go out there with one disc in hand looking to deuce all day, you will be disappointed.

I can't be sure if disc golf was indeed started by mellow dope-smokin hippies as you say, but I have seen that demographic littering on courses such as Banklick, Mt.Airy, and Idlewild. I would think that there are more than a few people that are part of this association that might not want that image to continue.
Rob J
Posted: Monday, August 27, 2007 9:07:49 PM

Ace fund is at Idlewild today

It is a little ironic that you are calling him condescending but it is you accusing a Disc Golf Hall of Fame inductee of rookie mistakes.

Fred is as generous and cool as they get -- walk in his shoes for a moon before you try and judge the man. Fred has spent more time picking up trash and developing and maintaining courses than anyone i know. if ten percent of us did half of what Fred does -- there'd be no trash on courses to pick up.

and "Bring your A game" is sound advice when it comes to Idlewild ;-)
berto
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2007 2:21:14 AM

wow Elite z you have just shown what a rookie you are by bashing on a local disc golf icon.... Next time you decide to talk trash on a board full of the people making disc golf what it is around here, maybe you should ask yourself what you have done for this sport....... it's pretty obvious that with the attitude that only park employees or garbage men should be picking up trash that you contribute nothing! The fact that there is even a board for you to be posting such ignorant nonsense on is a testament to the countless hours that volunteers have put in right here in cincinnati. Also this is not the place for adolescent name calling, stereotyping or such complete narrow mindedness.. this person sounds this way or that way...... these are the people that will be running this club, all the tournements, weekly events, and selling you your disc's.... anyone who is anyone in disc golf around here will see you stick your foot in your big mouth.... If you plan on being part of that scene then don't go running down people who you may be spending lots of time with..... Take fred here, If you can get over yourself long enough to watch and listen, you may just learn something from him...... :blade
Dizk Golfur
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2007 6:54:46 AM

As the taste of shoe leather gets richer in Elites mouth........lol

Of all the people in Cincinnati to talk sh@t about, he picks the hall of famer that runs the nicest manicured course! LOL, that's pretty funny. Seriously though, sometimes in a message board you can't hear someones tone. I doubt very seriously that he was being c o c k y.

Fred's throwing a great tourney at Idlewild on the 29th if you want to apologize to him in person, bring a partner its a good time. Oh, yeah bring your A+ game 'cause Idlewilds no joke and you'll be tellin your friends what a cool course it is.
Ben Shooner
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2007 7:04:17 AM

Bill's totally right-written communication can't convey intended tone very well. It's easy for words to not be well composed, and easier for them to be mis-understood. Either way, bickering is lame-Liz plugged this website on TV last week and it would be nice if the general public thought of us as something other than a bunch of whiners.
bobherb
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2007 7:28:54 AM

FRED HAS BEEN MISUNDERSTOOD MORE THAN ONCE IN THE PAST - CAN LIKELY HANDLE THIS UNWARRANTED CRITICISM AND...
EVEN FORGIVE THIS EliteZPuttr CHARACTER WHO, OBVIOUS TO EVERYONE, HAS MADE FALSE ASSUMPTIONS ABOUT FRED.
FRED MAY SOMETIMES SOUND C O C K Y, BUT AS JOHN WAYNE SAID "IT AIN'T BRAGGIN' IF YOU CAN DO IT".
FRED REPRESENTS DISC GOLF IN A PROFESSIONAL WAY AND WORKS HIS TAIL OFF JUST BECAUSE HE ENJOYS THE GAME - AND WE ALL BENEFIT FROM THIS.
COME ON OUT AND MEET FRED EliteZPuttr, HE WILL FORGIVE YOU, AND GIVE YOU A REWARDING JOB TO DO AT IDLEWILD.:homeimp   

EVERYTHING WILL BE COOL!!!  :cool :palm :cool

Dizk Golfur
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2007 7:47:42 AM

Holy capital letters, Bob. There's another example of how written communication can be misinterpreted. Sometimes when I see capital letters I think the person writting is yelling or speaking at a raised level. lol Kind of like a WWF "wrestlers" interview.

SNAP INTO A SLIMJIM!
Fred Salaz
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2007 8:53:37 AM

I think we all know(or all that know me know) that I am not the greatest communicator and my sense of humor is dry but I do the best with what I have been dealt. There are several things I don't do or try not to do. That is make fun of people(unless I know you well), hate litter(will pick it up) and I don't play in the rain, even if I'm pre registered. C o c k y, I don't think so. I will however show off if given the chance, especially if freestyling.
I was there during the mellow DS hippie days, I didn't partake but that could be the reason disc golf has taken so long to be recognized as a sport.
STEVO
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2007 9:09:22 AM

Right now, I only have a B game. Can I still come out to Idlewild tonight?
NEngle
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2007 9:18:03 AM

That'll cost you an extra $5! ;)
Lingo1976
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2007 1:55:10 PM

My air-condition has frozen the doors on my house closed so I will not be attending (not that anyone cares). lol

Fred, you do the things for the sport that I only dream of. Keep it up.

"It's too damned hot, what it is?, what it is?, it's too damned hot"
Rob J
Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 2007 2:01:29 PM

Ace Fund is at Idlewild tonight -- see you there.
EliteZPuttr
Posted: Thursday, August 30, 2007 7:19:04 PM

Ok, maybe Fred isn't a bad dude...guess I just misinterpreted his posts. I'll have to play Idlewild sometime since Freddy had a hand in designing it. Is it a lot tougher than St. Bernard? That is my home course. Fred, if you want to play St. Bernard with me sometime let me know. I shot a +13 at Winton Woods last weekend... I'm pumped because that was my best score ever. I think I'm on my way.
bobherb
Posted: Friday, August 31, 2007 7:57:20 AM

Now you're stylin' EliteZPuttr.:cool

Please do come out to Idlewild, play the short course first, of course, and let everyone here in cyber world know what you then perceive to believe the web Fred weaves. :shades

I can attest (from a historical, factual, and firsthand viewpoint) that Fred, with a little help from many different volunteers since the Winter of 1997/1998, has helped to manicure/transform a dense, overgrown with vines, briars, etc. woods, into a very beautiful yet extremely challenging disc golf masterpiece.   :palm  Yes, there is some water!

Do yourself a favor and check it out. You will need to commit 3-4 hours of play, and I think you may find it a little more challenging than St. Bernard!!!:smile :smile :smile
berto
Posted: Friday, August 31, 2007 11:31:02 AM

Elitezputtr seriously, st. bernard???? That course is short even for a putt putt version of disc golf..... Have you played anywhere besides winton and there? Look all I am saying is that you should really go play some other courses... mt. airy, banklick, woodland mound , turtle creek, monroe, or just about any others.... If you can drive yourself to any of these you will start to get it.... If you haven't seen real disc golf you might not understand how someone could lose a disc..... Guys like fred can throw it far enough to lose track of it........ just look at the courses tab on the main page and take your pick.... you can even see how your scores match up to averages on those courses..... :stickpoke