Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Hillsboro, Rocky Fork State Park Options
Craig
Posted: Sunday, October 14, 2007 2:06:42 PM

Thanks
MSQ
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2007 10:39:55 PM

The targets are all in, plus the practice target. I'll be painting tees on Saturday morning for the open holes (1-11, 18), then probably start playing my inaugural round at noon. The wooded holes have crushed gravel tees that are ready to play, so said Jeff. There's no signage, yet. Practice target is the half-circle next to parking area... from there, follow the mowed path. Check the photos (see link on Chilli' board) that I took a month ago and you'll know how it plays. One more thing... holes 3,4,5 will have some modifications later on. Later. --Marc

Note to visitors: Lots of leaves on ground now, making it harder to spot the crushed gravel tee boxes that are in the woods. When some basic tee markers are in the ground, I'll post a note here.
STEVO
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2007 8:19:23 AM

That is great, more and more courses for the region....By targets, do you mean baskets?
MSQ
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2007 8:22:31 PM

yep.
discwidower
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2007 4:10:25 PM

great to hear of new courses..... thank you to all that were involved in getting it done!!!!!
will check it out wed.(21st) see you on the links....
discnforfun
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2008 10:43:31 PM

Has anybody played this course. We're thinking about making a trip there this weekend but I'm a little concerned about finding my way around the course.
MSQ
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 12:40:28 AM

could someone erase that old map and photos that are on the cinci site for rocky fork. the course is not at that location. it's at the south beach area at the end of blue ribbon rd. thanks.

Thank you Liz.
Liz
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2008 8:23:07 AM

I think that has to go to Paul, I will send him an email. He may be out of town right now, but will get on it when we can.
surgediscgolf
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2008 10:16:54 PM

Played the course last Saturday... ...yes, in the snow and ice. It took some time to figure out the front "open" holes, but we think we came pretty close. The holes in the woods were of course a lot easier. The tee pads were buried in the snow but recoverable. We used our "best guess" as to the tees for the front 9. Four hours later... ...we got a round in! We are a crazy bunch aren't we?
perica
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2008 10:15:20 AM

so, how was the course?
surgediscgolf
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2008 5:29:26 PM

It's not really too fair to judge it given the condition of the course, the weather, and the need to figure out the flow of the course without tee signs... ... but here's my opinion. What we figured to be the front nine holes are out in the open, similar to the Heritage course, flat with no obstacles. They will probably serve rookie players well. The back nine are more like the holes in the woods at Williamsburg. I liked those holes, but like any discer, I would probably make a few changes. There are a few trees at certain points in the fairway that I don't find provide much value. I do like the crushed gravel tee pads. Crazy as this may seem, I've always liked them better than concrete... ...go figure. The lake setting is nice as well. I look forward to playing the course again when the weather is more cooperative. It's a bit of a drive from my house, almost 50 miles, so I don't expect to play it too often.
MSQ
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2008 11:01:39 PM

surgediscgolf wrote:
There are a few trees at certain points in the fairway that I don't find provide much value.

The wooded holes are going to get a little overhaulin' once it warms up.  Some trees taken out, especially a few that are in the middle of fairways that don't add anything to the hole.  Some pin placements changed.  First two holes that are completely in the woods are going to be combined into one hole... then a new 18th hole added at the end, landing finally back at the parking area.

I wrote about most of the upcoming changes on the chilli message board, in case someone wants to read more.

Surge, that's crazy that you played in the snow on the unmarked course.  You must be a man of great patience.  =)

--Marc
surgediscgolf
Posted: Friday, February 29, 2008 6:52:21 AM

Really it's just the opposite. I don't have any patience. Discovering a new course to throw is like opening a Christmas gift as a kid. Who can wait for that? It was really entertaining, like solving a puzzle, trying to figure out the front holes based on the maze of snow-covered cut grass paths and a few orange flags in the ground (one or two with hole no.s indicated!) About the only concession we make when playing on a snow covered course is to leave our favorite discs at home. You always run the risk of losing one under those circumstances. As it was, the only one we almost lost was on the hole near the end of the wooded run where the basket is on a bluff overlooking the lake. My brother's disc skipped on the ice, passed the basket and hung on the cliff, teetering on edge, hanging by a thread above the drop to the ice. As for the trees that you plan to remove, I'd be willing to bet I could flag the ones that are destined for removal and we would probably be on the same page. I look forward to playing again this spring/summer, with the changes in place, and maybe with a little less "prep work" figuring out the course. Thanks to everyone who was involved with adding another course to our area.
agentdozzer
Posted: Monday, May 26, 2008 9:04:43 AM

I will be camping up here next weekend, is the course walking distance to the camp ground? How far of a drive is it from this course to the great seal? Thanks the pictures and maps on the chili website are not working for me today.
MSQ
Posted: Monday, May 26, 2008 6:04:32 PM

from rocky fork to pike lake is about 45 minutes, and to great seal is about 60 minutes.

it's not walking distance.  you'll drive to Marshall, then take Blue Ribbon Rd to South Beach area.

it's currently a construction zone:  some holes dug for tees, some framed, grass torn up, flags, paint, downed trees, etc.

here's my hand drawn map: http://marcandsara.com/images/rockyforkmap1.jpg
agentdozzer
Posted: Monday, May 26, 2008 8:04:53 PM

Thank you the map should come in handy.
LStephens
Posted: Monday, May 26, 2008 9:25:48 PM

that's like the best disc golf map ever...it's treasure map like.
MSQ
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2008 10:48:13 PM

I recently met with Jeff B, the park manager at Rocky Fork, and came up with what might be the final decision on where to plant the baskets for the campground course. This will be a fun little five-hole course, basically plays from the park store to the park office and back to the store. When it's navigable, I'll post again.

This campground course (which I've dubbed "Little Rocky") is at the west end of the lake, while the 18-hole course will be located over at the South Beach area. The park store already has a nice selection of discs for sale (Innova, $9 to $18 depending on the type of plastic) as well as some bags, and the disc golf target and disc set from Halex ($99).

By the way, more of you Cinci guys and gals ought to consider playing in the Chains of Fury (the PDGA doubles event scheduled for 4 courses, two days in 2009). (This started out as Double Trouble, then morphed into Triple Threat, and now looks like it'll become Chains of Fury) Jeff M has a thread started for it on the Chilli forum.
ccs
Posted: Wednesday, June 04, 2008 7:24:26 AM

I played Rocky Fork last weekend and overall it was pretty nice. It took about15 minutes to drive from the campground at the north beach to disc golf course at the south beach. The first eight holes play out in the open near the lake with small elevation changes and consistent winds. Holes 9-18 play towards and into the woods on the other side of the parking lot. These holes are much more interesting and offer a better challenge due to some tight fairways. It's a par 54 course that could be played by almost everyone.
MSQ
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2008 8:55:53 PM

MSQ
Posted: Tuesday, October 07, 2008 12:03:00 AM

Tuesday Doubles! 
Every 2nd and 4th Tuesday.
Rocky Fork State Park, Hillsboro, Ohio  (South Beach course)

More details blogged about on the MySpace page.
www.myspace.com/highlandcountydiscgolf

Or just go straight to the flyer (Hang one up at your course).
GET THE FLYER HERE (for October 14 + 28)
www.marcandsara.com/discgolf/rocky_doubles_oct_2008_flyer.pdf