Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Colerain - Heritage Park Options
bkaplan10
Posted: Monday, July 12, 2004 2:53:30 PM

Update on the new park with disc golf in Colerain township:

The web site has not been updated and we are waiting for the new updates to be available to place on the site. This Thursday we will have bid openings to choose a company for construction. I look for construction to begin in August and phase one completed by November, weather permitting. We will be pushing the design firm to give us the revised plans to put on the site. I will be asking them for the update when we have the bid openings. Thanks for your interest in the park.

PaulDmt
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2004 4:17:37 AM

We've been waiting for any info about that park. Seemed like Colerain put the whole place on hold. So it sounds like perhaps next spring we might get installation done. Be nice it they planted some trees this year!! The park needs it.
bkaplan10
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2004 8:34:57 AM

More from Greg about Phase 1:

Phase one will be all grading work, roads, parking areas, Disc Golf (which will be state of the art), portable restrooms and picnic tables. All trails and walk paths will be inastalled. Wildlife grass areas and lawns will be seeded, The grade work will set the stage for the installation of the ballfields, eco-lab and some of the structures that will be included in phase 2. Phase 2 will also include water.  I wonder what he means by state-of-the-art disc golf?  I guess I'll ask him.  Sounds like the course could be in the ground by November
pcaldwell
Posted: Tuesday, July 13, 2004 10:31:52 AM

I think by "state of the art", the designers meant that it would be done right, with concrete tee pads, alternate pin positions, and nice baskets.
bkaplan10
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2004 5:37:15 AM

Is the club the design team that this guy is talking about?  Because he sent me an email that said almost exactly what Pete said.  :-)

PaulDmt
Posted: Wednesday, July 14, 2004 7:11:59 AM

Sort of. Human Nature (the design firm) came up with a plan and we made recommendations on changes.
Micah Frederick
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2004 11:08:11 AM

They are breaking ground on the park this Thursday with the hope of phase one being completed before the end of the year.
frizgolf
Posted: Wednesday, September 01, 2004 6:31:40 PM

Drove by the new park after the Pig Sunday, and dirt is being turned. Could we be playing there by Thanksgiving?
bkaplan10
Posted: Wednesday, March 09, 2005 1:49:43 PM

Update from Greg Snyder, the head of Colerain Township Parks:

As soon as the weather breaks we are going. The forcast for the next few weeks looks gloomy. We need drying time. The flood we had in January did a very rare thing to the east banks of the river. Huge amounts of sand were deposited, mainly in the raparian corridor area. Some dunes are 3 to 4 foot deep. We are re-designing some of the trails because of the flood. Plans have been submitted to ODNR for the canoe access. Weather is the word. We are behind as I stated earlier since October 15 of last year nothing but wet. Here's hoping for good weather.

pcaldwell
Posted: Wednesday, March 09, 2005 6:27:15 PM

I got an email from the landscape architect firm, who is doing the project, and he said they were put a bit behind by the January flood, but as soon as the construction season gets underway (dries out), they'll progress onto the remaining earthwork and then the disc golf course.
Concerned
Posted: Thursday, March 10, 2005 1:19:19 PM

Yes, yes hopes are extended highly. Weather is indeed the word of the day and for weeks to come it seems. Glad to hear you have contacted a design firm on said course....kudos and job well done... here, here! Course layout is of great need and professional help is a must. The muddy banks and sand which has accumulated in mass quantities shall not stop the desire and need of this great course and that of others. Excellente!! If shovels are in need...then so be it. We can start a drive for shovels and other lifting and sifting tools of due need. Mud dobbing and sand spreading is just and could be done by all......the weather is a villian and should be stopped by your efforts and true reslove....Concerned here! To the high road we must take and together teamwork will triumph. James and others have said they will be there. Please forward dates and let the adventure pour forward! Philly Cheese and Freddy Salsa let us hear you....I have to run getting ready for the duct work cleaners to stop by. As always..."Let those sweet babies soar"...I'm out!
pcaldwell
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 7:54:30 PM

Paul and I met with the Park's design architect and walked the staked layout this afternoon. We adjusted the tees and basket locations as much as he would let us. A couple of interesting things - they are going to pour the tee pads this week - but, get this, they are going to be oval shaped! Fatter in the front and skinnier in the back. The plans had it detailed as concrete, rough broom finish, 5' 10" wide at the widest spot, and 12' long from the tips. At first we were shocked, but after looking them over, they might be quite nice. Don't expect a great experience the first time you play it, because the course is layed out to reflect the large amount of meadow area and islands of trees and bushes they are going to plant. The archictect company seems almost more concerned about the plantings than the playability of the course. We did our best to improve that. Most of the course is 250' to 400' holes, open and flat right now, but the intent is to achieve a "links" look, with high moundy grass roughs, a wet-land area along the entire side of the course, and a walking trail winding through the course. This, like the trail at Harbin, was very difficult to design around. There are 3 holes that play into and out of the woods. We'd have loved to put more holes back there, but it was pretty difficult to get what we got. One set of pin sleeves will be put in, with the 2nd set held in reserve until we see how the course plays.

Think about Boone, though. When I first played there, the trees were saplings and we thought they'd never grow. Now they are quite formidable (unless you are Larry D.).

We asked them to not put the baskets in until the grass is well grown. Interesting grass - we had a choice of grass types to seed the course with, and we went with a links type grass that gets 18" tall but then falls over (like the grass at St. Andrews or Legendary Run) for the rough areas around the treed islands, and a creeping all purpose turf fescue for the fairways.

If the weather goes right, we should be throwing frisbees by mid summer. Please don't go out there until they open the park, because they are serious about arresting trespassers - and didn't spare the warning signs!
bkaplan10
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 8:01:21 AM

Sounds sort of similar to the last six holes at Miami Whitewater.  Would that be a fairly accurate description?
bkaplan10
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 9:49:53 AM

will it always be that way, or are the trees being planted eventually going to be decent obstacles?
pcaldwell
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 7:24:22 PM

They're planning on lots of trees, planted in groves. Willows, Maples, and Sycamores - types that do well in low, wet, flood plains. They'll grow quickly, but it will be several years before they let the holes play up to their designed potential. Quite a concept - to design the holes with the way they'll become, rather than the usual design for today and watch them change (think #10, #12 and #18 at Mt. Airy) methodology we're used to.
NEngle
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2005 11:55:13 AM

From an online article Aug 23rd by the Northwest Press
----------------------------------------------
Heritage Park contractor given extension By Jennie Key Community Editor If you are eager to see the progress at Colerain Township's Heritage Park on East Miami River Road, take a walk.
The walking trails at the park will open Tuesday, Sept. 6, giving residents a chance to check out the changes at the river park.
But residents are going to have a longer wait to see the park complete. At the Aug. 9 board meeting, trustees approved an extension for the Jeffrey Allen Corp. to finish work on Phase One.
Jack Bresnan Jr. told board members that an extremely wet fall, flooding and snow hampered construction, and the company could not meet initial construction deadlines. He said weather permitting, his firm can have work at the park complete by the end of November.
Snyder said the park suffered the second largest flood in 50 years. Not only did the wetness hamper construction, but workers had to deal with tons of sand left behind after the flood.
Since April, through, progress has been made at the riverfront park.
Blacktop snakes through the park, paved paths beckoning walkers and joggers to explore. The path meanders through a wetland area, past the ecolab for students and the disc golf course.
In the spring, Parks and Services Director Greg Snyder expects the grass to be green and lush. Today, the grounds are covered with straw, protecting the tender young grass as it gets established.
"The disc golf course won't open 'til spring," he said. "We are taking the goals down so the grass has a chance to grow in over the fall and winter. In the spring, we should be ready to go."
The $1.5 million price tag for Phase I of Heritage Park
does not include the $155,000 grant for the canoe launch from the Ohio Department of Natural Resources or the cost of completing the ball fields.
Phase I includes the canoe ramps, walking paths, driveways, a disc golf course, and four baseball fields. The completion of the ball fields was added to Phase I and Snyder said he is still hopeful they will be ready for play in the spring.
"This is going to be a nice park," Snyder said. "I hope the residents make good use of it."
jkey@communitypress.com.
923-3111, extension 233
bkaplan10
Posted: Thursday, August 25, 2005 1:33:59 PM

well, that sucks. 
PaulDmt
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2005 6:53:29 AM

Yeah so it'll take a little longer. We know it's coming. The course isn't going to be all that exciting for the first couple years. Expect the course record to be set during this time. On the other hand, giving the grass, bushes, trees, etc a chance to get established isn't a bad idea.
NEngle
Posted: Sunday, February 12, 2006 4:15:47 PM

Craig
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2006 7:56:00 AM

Nick what exactly is a foul line. is that the front of the tee pad or something. Or is the ball field in play.
ccs
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2006 9:42:42 AM

It's a good thing they know disc golf. Most of us can't even fully comprehend the foul line. I just hope they have that big turkey flashing when I get three aces in a row.
NEngle
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2006 10:45:06 AM

There's also a three point line at the back of the pad that you can't see in the picture.

Honestly, I think the oval tee pads are kinda cool.  They'll give the course some character.

pcaldwell
Posted: Friday, February 17, 2006 2:55:13 PM

Here's an article on the park that was in last Sunday's Cincinnati Enquirer.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060212/NEWS01/602120357/-1/all
rangel
Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2006 9:00:27 AM

NEngle
Posted: Tuesday, March 28, 2006 2:44:40 PM

OPEN