Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Colerain - Heritage Park Options
NEngle
Posted: Tuesday, March 28, 2006 2:46:38 PM

:stickdance
Kool Keith
Posted: Tuesday, March 28, 2006 4:05:02 PM

Hmmm....

Mis and I are going to have a picnic somewhere tomorrow, followed by a round of DG. Is this worth checking out? What would you guys compare it to, other than a basketball court?

Is there grass yet, or is it all muddy?

Where is it?

18 holes, or just 9?

Short, longish, or Drivers!!!

?????? We want to KNOW!!!!
NEngle
Posted: Tuesday, March 28, 2006 4:38:51 PM

Phil has played it.  He called me from the third hole to let me know it was in the ground.  I'll be playing it tomorrow at some point.  Ahhh, that'll be a nice way to start my vacation.  A new course!

It is 18 holes.  Fairly non-descript.  It was a farmer's field.

Directions (FROM THE TOP OF MY HEAD):  275 to the Colerain (rt 27) exit.  North & follow Colerain ave.  May also be called Old Colerain (forget), anyway you have to turn left off of 27.  It's the first or second light.  Then follow old Colerain (which will merge with Miami River Road) to the park on the right.  You know you're close when the road takes a 90degree right turn at Dunlap Station farm.  No more than 10 min. off the expressway.

bobherb
Posted: Wednesday, March 29, 2006 8:41:01 AM

That's "East" Miami River Road!
-the stick dancer "is" facinating.
Can he throw?
Russ Toelke says it is like Whitewater with less trees and the distances are longer than stated on the tee signs.
STEVO
Posted: Wednesday, March 29, 2006 9:49:09 AM

Stick dancer?!? I thought that was his photo image from karaoke night....
ccs
Posted: Wednesday, March 29, 2006 1:54:19 PM

That stick shouldn't be so happy.
Phil Miller
Posted: Wednesday, March 29, 2006 3:16:13 PM

I played heritage park.
Pros-
I liked the tee pads although the foul line is a bit much.
New baskets I believe they were the usual chainstars.
Course had a good flow
No backtracking
It's something different.
Cons-
It wasn't built by a disc golfer
Reminded me of a whitewater-woodland-boone combo
Not long at all.
Longest hole I believe was 374.
I had no trouble reaching every hole in one drive.
Not bragging but it's that short.
Very little elevation change
Walking path may come into play and be dangerous.
Things to consider:
It will become harder once the trees and bushes that were planted have a chance to mature.
There is a lot of marked o.b. which, if enforced, will make it interesting.
Overall I thought it was ok. Of course I am spoiled with so many courses and everything pales in comparison to a Banklick,Idlewild,Mt Airy.
Check it out for yourself...would help you work on your putt and approach...not that challenging off the tee.
NEngle
Posted: Wednesday, March 29, 2006 3:34:31 PM

What would you get if you mixed Turtle Creek & Whitewater, then added a little D?  Heritage Park.

Not a bad course, but nothing spectacular either.  Lots of "OB" landscaped areas & many of the tees don't point directly at the baskets.  I guess they don't want you throwing over those areas.  The distances on the signs are a little suspect as well.  I did enjoy the back 9, where the woods come into play a bit.  I'll play it as a break from Harbin once in a while.

Hole 1 226'2 3173 2274 3265 2656 3757 3008 2909 21210 29011 21912 22513 22814 25415 29116 33017 35518 329
ccs
Posted: Wednesday, March 29, 2006 4:57:41 PM

Rob will have a fit when he sees all the OB that's not clearly defined.

It's like Turtle Creek with a longer walk to the car when you figured you've had enough.
NEngle
Posted: Wednesday, March 29, 2006 5:34:30 PM

lmao

Craig
Posted: Saturday, April 01, 2006 5:31:17 PM

Nice park. It's longer that boone and woodland. Less trees though. If you play all the marked OB and add the paths it pretty interesting. Some of the OB is only five to ten feet away from the baskets. They have a lot of doglegs that you can go straight at. When the OB weeds grow up and define the line a little better it will be sweet. A good half a dozen hole that are very unique holes and very cool. Some of the so called doglegs are just open field holes though. Only one or two holes below 250. Most around 300 or just under. A couple of 350's and a 375. A few trees to grow up to fill in the fairways. Good course overall, I'll make a few trips there each year.
RBFaul
Posted: Saturday, April 08, 2006 11:28:33 AM

Have played the course twice already...

Pros (Beginner/Intermediate Players):
No really long holes (nothing over 400 feet).
Good place to work on your accuracy game w/o fear of losing your disc (especially on the front 9 if you're observing the OB ).
A little more difficult then the easier courses in the area (Miami Whitewater, Turtlecreek).
Very clear course posts, though the directions are off a little on occasional holes. Very sturdy/well put together.

Pros (Advanced Players):
Back 9 offers more difficulty then the front.
The course is right on the river... might be interesting to schedule early morning throwing: FOG DISC GOLF!

Pros (All):
Free course -- not part of the Hamiliton County Park Systems, so you won't need the sticker.
Not a particularly long course -- roughly an hour for all 18 for a group of 3-5, depending on the skill level. Throwing it twice could be a good game.
Still developing course -- looks that it could change more as trees and plants grow.

Cons:
Could still use some improvements -- A bridge over the steep inlay between 16 and 17, some more trees on the front 9.
Needs a little better drainage -- I might be premature about this though as it's been a wet winter/spring, but there are spots that are a little swampy.
Walking paths are a little close to some of the holes.
Flat course all the way around.
Could use a little more shade (trees on the front 9 again would help that).
No garbage cans/benches along the course.
Being so close to the river, there might be a bug problem on the really hot days. Flooding could still be a major problem -- resulting in the course being closed for days at a time if it happens.

It's not a perfect course, but it's still very enjoyable -- more for the common disc golfer then the advanced ones right now. Still, it's lucky that I'm in the Green Township area and now have five very different courses within 10 minutes travel time.
discnforfun
Posted: Saturday, April 08, 2006 5:29:11 PM

Having played the course a couple of times I would offer one suggestion to improve the play. The course is not very entertaining, though the back nine are certainly better than the front nine. The "island" out-of-bounds areas in some cases aren't very effective. I'm not a big-arm thrower by any stretch, 300' feet on a hot summer day is probably my limit, but I can throw over several of the islands. Based on the tee-pad orientation, it's obvious that the intent is to go around. Why not put up a 4 x 4 post along the edge of the OB and make it a mandatory? As long as I'm not required to "go around" I'm going to "go over." If there was a mando I would follow it and that might force me to work on my anhyzers a few times. They could even be bird houses. Yeh, maybe some of those really tall purple martin houses. That would work pretty well out in those open fields.

Just a thought.
bobherb
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2006 8:15:17 AM

These suggestions sound good but, some course is better than no course.
Perhaps plans (trees) are forthcoming to make the course shadier and more interesting.
Thanks for the info guys as I have not seen it yet.
AdamJ
Posted: Monday, April 17, 2006 6:39:54 AM

played it yesterday with Bigboy and we both agreed that the distance marked is a bit off. I can understand haven some of the OB lines there but on every hole is a bit much. And a few holes have OB within 5-10 feet of the baskets which if played in toury style can be quite a interesting round. I feel they went overboard with OB and don't see why its needed on every hole, and they have it setup on a few that you have to actually throw over OB as the tee is aimed right to it, The wooded holes are cool and overall nice little course. Only time will tell.
Tee signs I thought were very cool.
RBFaul
Posted: Tuesday, June 06, 2006 4:36:09 PM

It's not even been a year yet and already Heritage has been hit with vandalism. The tee signs for holes 9, 10 and 13 were taken off (possibly torn off, but not too sure as there wasn't any damage to the posts). Thankfully, 9 and 10's signs were found nearby, but 13's might be somewhere far off in the woods as we could not find it. We were able to partially reattach the signs we found, and we're contacting Colerain Township about it as well.
M_Boland
Posted: Thursday, June 08, 2006 7:52:43 PM

played haritage today. Looks as if all the tee signs are fine.
discnforfun
Posted: Sunday, December 10, 2006 10:30:50 AM

So what's the deal? We drive all the way from Milford to Heritage Park to play today and all the baskets are gone, replaced with capped PVC pipes. Are they out for the winter? Does the park district think no one plays when it's cold, er what?
frizgolf
Posted: Sunday, December 10, 2006 10:51:26 AM

Hmmm?
I had no idea they'd do that.
Maybe they have some grand planting scheme, or they just don't want players mucking up the wet grounds.
Bummer. :-(
Discgolfkid
Posted: Thursday, March 08, 2007 3:49:52 PM

Has anybody been down there to see if the baskets are back in yet? And do you think it will be un-swamped by april?
RBFaul
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2007 4:34:52 PM

Swung by Heritage today to see where my circle was going to throw later on, but it looks like the baskets are still down (though another of our group swung by apparently later on and saw the first basket up - but I think he was thinking of the practice hole). Other then that, it's dry as can be (well, it's supposed to rainy the next three days).
Zeigler
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2007 7:27:20 PM

I played it today. All the baskets are up!!!
RBFaul
Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2007 7:30:30 PM

Ah cool - that's good to know :)
Discgolfkid
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2007 12:51:27 PM

Does anybody know the reasoning behind all the brush being cut down at this course? Hole 8 and 10, which used to be much more challenging holes, have had all of their brush cut down and re-planted by grass. I assume that these areas will still be OB, but i kind of miss the natural challenge they used to present on a fairly simple course. Did they remove them because too many people were losing discs?
Also, Hole 15 has become quite easier so long as you have the D. You can now see the basket, so one can take a much more direct route to the basket. It saddens me because it seems like the hole got so much easier.
RBFaul
Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2007 4:57:47 PM

Quote:
Discgolfkid - 3/30/2007 12:51 PM

Does anybody know the reasoning behind all the brush being cut down at this course? Hole 8 and 10, which used to be much more challenging holes, have had all of their brush cut down and re-planted by grass. I assume that these areas will still be OB, but i kind of miss the natural challenge they used to present on a fairly simple course. Did they remove them because too many people were losing discs?
Also, Hole 15 has become quite easier so long as you have the D. You can now see the basket, so one can take a much more direct route to the basket. It saddens me because it seems like the hole got so much easier.

I don't know for certain, but with the new ballfields, the park is certainly going to get more traffic. Perhaps they feel that if they make it easier, more people will throw there. Not a terrible plan, but I agree it's a shame that these holes are now easier... of course, during the CC, the OB rules there were different then on the signs anyway.