Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Masters At Idlewild Options
frizgolf
Posted: Monday, June 12, 2006 7:16:26 PM

I left an Ice Bowl sweatshirt on a picnic table under the tent Sunday.
I ran off too fast and forgot it.
discndat
Posted: Tuesday, June 13, 2006 8:36:26 AM

Yes, thanks alot Fred for the tourney. And thanks to all those who worked on the course and worked at the tounament this weekend. I think it was a huge success. Glad I was actually able to play. It felt pretty good getting to play Idlewild instead of watching others play. look forward to next year. I won't forget my bag on Sunday morning next year!
bobherb
Posted: Tuesday, June 13, 2006 8:55:39 AM

Your "Disc Golf" bag???
discndat
Posted: Tuesday, June 13, 2006 2:23:39 PM

Yes! Luckily, I have a beautiful wife who got it out to me in time for the round on Sunday.
Nate'sDad
Posted: Wednesday, June 14, 2006 6:58:35 AM

A truly great tournament played on an outstanding course in a beautiful park. Much thanks to Fred and Rob and to all who worked so hard to make this a memorable Masters event!
Fred Salaz
Posted: Wednesday, November 22, 2006 7:49:55 AM

We have changed the date for the 2007 Masters at Idlewild. It will be held on July 28 and 29 . Hope to see some of you old guys out there. [edited by Rob J.]
Rob J
Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2007 8:31:36 PM

The 2007 Masters at Idlewild will now be a one-day event on Saturday July 28th...

if you want more info, contact info for Fred is available through the following link:

http://www.pdga.com/schedule/event.php?TournID=6550

Rob J
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2007 1:40:41 PM

Here is the flyer for the 2007 Masters at Idlewild:  

EDGEWOOD ELECTRIC
PRESENTS
THE MASTERS AT IDLEWILD

Saturday July 28, 2007

a PDGA-sanctioned XB tier event

* $1000 CA$H ADDED TO PRO PURSE *

FIELD IS LIMITED TO 72 TOTAL MASTER PLAYERS ON A FIRST COME BASIS

PRO DIVISIONS OFFERED: $57 ENTRY FEE for PROS (Lunch included)
PRO MEN: MASTER, GRAND MASTER, SR. GRANDMASTER
PRO WOMEN: MASTER

AM DIVISIONS OFFERED: $37 ENTRY FEE for ADVANCED – (Lunch & Players Package included)
MEN– ADVANCED MASTER, ADVANCED GRANDMASTER
AM WOMEN – ADVANCED MASTER WOMEN ONLY

IF YOU ARE NOT A CURRENT PDGA MEMBER: ADD $5 PDGA fee to your entry

THERE MUST BE A MINIMUM OF 4 TO OPEN A DIVISION (Except Women’s Divisions)

2 ROUNDS WILL BE PLAYED SATURDAY
1ST ROUND From THE SHORTS; 2nd ROUND From THE LONGS 

check-in or register by 8:15am * PLAYERS MEETING IS AT 8:30am * TEE OFF AT 9:00am

FRIDAY AFTERNOON JULY 27, THERE WILL BE A BALL GOLF VS DISC GOLF CHALLENGE WITH THE TOURNAMENT SPONSOR MARK GOETZ FROM EDGEWOOD ELECTRIC AND HIS FRIENDS VS TOURNAMENT DIRECTOR FRED SALAZ, BOB HERBERT, PETE CALDWELL AND OTHER TEAM OF DISC GOLFERS (TBD LATER). COME ROOT FOR THE DISC GOLFERS AND HAVE SOME FUN WATCHING THIS CHALLENGE. CHALLENGE WILL START BETWEEN 4 AND 5 PM. CHECK WWW.CINCINNATIDISCGOLF.COM FOR MORE INFO OR CONTACT TD FRED SALAZ AT SALAZF@FUSE.NET , 859-341-0156

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Send registration and payment payable to:
DISC-N-TUCKY
695 TRIPLE LAKE DRIVE
CRESCENT SPRINGS, KY 41017

Name: _____________________________________________ Phone: _______________________
Address:____________________________________________City:_________________________________
State: ______________________Zip Code: __________ E-Mail: _________________
Division: _________________________________PDGA#: ____________________

I hold blameless and fully release the Professional Disc Golf Association (PDGA), City of Burlington, Boone County Parks, the Tournament Directors, staff and any other individuals associated with the Masters at Idlewild Disc Golf Tournament held 7/28/07 from all liability for personal damage or injury or personal loss I may incur before, during or after my participation in this event. I accept full and sole responsibility for any damage I may cause through negligence and/or malice, including, but not limited to, damages or injuries caused by my own throws of a golf disc.

SIGNATURE ____________________________________________

Fred Salaz
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2007 2:41:38 PM

OVER $1,000.00 ADDED. JUST GOT CONFIRMATION FROM MARK GOETZ OF EDGEWOOD ELECTRIC.
ROB, COULD YOU EDIT THE FLYER.
matthew_blakely
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2007 3:29:15 PM

Very Nice!

Are you guys doing the ball golf challenge again? Can a young guy try if so.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Saturday, June 23, 2007 6:39:28 AM

Matt, yes we are. Still thinking about a way to get a team together without pissing anyone off. We only need three disc golfers(preferably masters age) to compete. Must be able to throw over 400 feet and putt like a demon(ok, a decent putter will do). Thinking of putting all canidates into a hat and drawing three. More later.
Craig
Posted: Saturday, June 23, 2007 7:05:50 AM

Please put my name in that hat Fred. I know Marks nephew Marty. Marty play disc golf, but anyways ask if me and Marty could be another team using sticks, to allow another disc golf team. Either way I'll stop out to watch and maybe see how far I can roll down a fairway.
matthew_blakely
Posted: Wednesday, June 27, 2007 9:00:07 AM

Remember if we can continue to beat them they will probably want to try again next year! Just let me know Freddy!
I'll get some disc together to donate for your tournament and Duece or Die and The flying pig here soon. Thanks for all your hard work in the area.

Side note when are you going to teach the kool guy how to throw. He was so far off the line I think they were going Negatvie blush

Did everyone like the distance competition at gulley?
I know it's different, and not pure distance, but what is pure distance used for? We all play golf for the most part and accuracy should be a bigger focus than distance on 95% of throws.
Kool Keith
Posted: Wednesday, June 27, 2007 9:33:08 AM

Matt... I had the longest throws in both the qualifing and also the final, just off the line a bit.

And, lets talk truth here stick - 40 feet off the line is still a putt on a 480ft pull. I had fun with that D contest - wish I would have been in better shape that day, but hey, stuff happens.

Fred, you know I'm down with the disc golf/ball golf challenge. I can do either - hell, maybe get me and Craig with sticks versus Mark and another stick golfer with frisbees! That could be fun.

I think you should maybe auction a spot off, or do a raffle that needs a CFR disc to enter - raise some funds. But, if it's just putting names in a hat, please put mine in there 15x.
matthew_blakely
Posted: Wednesday, June 27, 2007 10:42:34 AM

Work on that control so those scores will go down, Distance is of little use without control.

If you are looking for other masters players for the disc golf ball golf challenge. Maybe Jim Ferrara? He Can throw around 400-425 probably. I can't really think of any other masters that can throw as far besides Fred and Pete. I Think Jim would be interested.

I'll give you a rematch anytime Keith, Control and accuracy are the key's to driving.

I think I should have moved the basket in closer to about 500 foot to make it more interesting. At least during the finals. How did it go at lunch time in between rounds? It seemed like there was a bigger crowd.

Fred Salaz
Posted: Wednesday, June 27, 2007 11:02:21 AM

No disc golfer will be playing golf(sticks) in this challenge. They've got a team already. Looks like the raffle will be the best option. $20.00 per ticket, enter as many times as you want. Money goes toward the tournament or party afterwards.
I will be having a party after the Masters at Idlewild tournament at John Behymers house for all participants AND all Adopt a holee's. I want to make it an annual event in appreciation for all the work done at Idlewild.
matthew_blakely
Posted: Wednesday, June 27, 2007 11:34:20 AM

You are saying $20 a ticket gets you one chance for one spot at participating in the ball golf disc golf challenge? Are you recieving anything else besides the chance? It seems a little high priced if there is nothing else.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Wednesday, June 27, 2007 11:50:23 AM

Yes, $20.00 per chance. You get to play disc golf on a golf course. That should be worth $20.00. You're killing me Blakely.
matthew_blakely
Posted: Wednesday, June 27, 2007 12:04:04 PM

It's just the truth, If you want people to buy them. I personnally don't think a one in how many ever tickets are sold for 1 spot is worth $20. If they are Ten bucks I'll Probably buy 1 to support your event and get the chance, but besides that I will give you some discs for your tournament again. Good luck with whatever you decide. Who ever it is will hopefully represent us well! See you on a course sometime?
Kool Keith
Posted: Wednesday, June 27, 2007 12:11:54 PM

I agree with the stick - a chance to play in the ball golf/disc golf thing is a great incentive for me to buy a CFR disc. But a $20 raffle ticket to play in a 9 hole exhibition is a little steep....

Tell you what Fred, just send me in there as a wedding gift.... I kid, I kid.

Matt - there was definitely a big crowd over there at lunch. We had less of a head wind than at the final - that was a tricky little wind at the final, no trees were moving and you couldn't feel it from the line but 150 ft up the field there was probably a 8-12mph breeze out there. A very tricky thing when you are trying to move one out there 500 on a line.

Distance without control is still distance. Control is coming... just you wait. I haven't been doing this for very long yet...

Fred - maybe we can figure out something to package these raffles with? I'll call you later, I have some ideas.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Wednesday, June 27, 2007 12:57:16 PM

Seriously, you guys wouldn't pay $20.00 for a chance to play on a golf course and have a chance to see yourself on TV. I am surprised.
Blakely, keep your plastic. I'll just have to choose the team myself unless someone else out there wants in.
matthew_blakely
Posted: Wednesday, June 27, 2007 1:28:48 PM

I have been donating to all the pdga tournaments in our area. You don't want any plastic for your tournament?
I'm not asking for anything in return. That is just my way of helping support it.

I didn't know TV was going to be involved. Than in my opinion you don't want to raffle it off. I think you should pick someone who will be presentable and have a game that is exciting to watch.

Good luck Freddy!
STEVO
Posted: Wednesday, June 27, 2007 2:00:03 PM

....And have a heckuva roller, Fred. :smile
edge
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2007 5:07:52 AM

Quote:
Rob J - 6/17/2007 8:31 PM

The 2007 Masters at Idlewild will now be a one-day event on Saturday July 28th...

I am interested in coming out to watch some of the action. I have never attended anything this big before, so could someone give me an idea of what to expect? Will there by viewing areas roped off along the course? I could be happy watching the throws from the #1 teepad, but I imagine many people must like to watch the putting too.
Will there be any vendors there? (discs, drinks, etc)

Thanks for any info....
KevinB
Posted: Thursday, July 05, 2007 6:40:50 PM

Disc Golf vs. Ball Golf Challenge
For immediate release.

When people think of golf they think of a small white ball hit off the tee, with the goal being to get the ball in the hole, in as few strokes as possible. There is another form of golf that is one of the fastest growing sports in the country, disc golf. Disc golf is similar to ball golf, but the player tees off by throwing a flying disc (or Frisbee) with the goal of getting it into a basket target in as few throws as possible.
On Friday, July 27th at Boone Links Golf Course in Florence, Kentucky the two types of golf will come together in the 2nd Annual Ball vs. Disc Golf Challenge. Teams of ball golfers will tee it up against teams of disc golfers at 5:30pm, in a best ball/disc format playing the same nine holes. The event was very popular last year, with the disc golfers winning the challenge. The public is welcome and encouraged to come watch the event, featuring some of the best ball and disc golfers in the region.
The Disc Golf vs. Ball Golf Challenge is being held in conjunction with The Masters at Idlewild presented by Edgewood Electric. The Masters at Idlewild is a Professional Disc Golf Association sanctioned tournament featuring master's players, age 40 and above, in a one day, two round, tournament at Idlewild Disc Golf Course in Burlington, Kentucky on Saturday, July 28th.
Idlewild Disc Golf Course, the home course for The Masters and Kentucky State Disc Golf Championships, is currently rated the most challenging course in the country by the PDGA. It is maintained by the Boone County Parks Department and a group of volunteers from the local disc golf community, lead by course designer, Fred Salaz.
The Tri-State region is home to a very large community of disc golfers with a great passion for their sport. They work with local park districts to develop and take care of the over 20 courses in the area. Information can be found at www.cincinnatidiscgolf.com, the site features course maps and directions to the area courses, as well as news on upcoming events.