Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Masters At Idlewild Options
KevinB
Posted: Friday, July 06, 2007 9:02:23 AM

The above press release I did is now published online in many of the local "your news" sections.

http://rodeo.cincinnati.com/getlocal/gpstory.aspx?id=100063&sid=115008

Hope people can make it out to watch this event, should be fun.
Rob J
Posted: Monday, July 09, 2007 11:01:51 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Rob J - 6/17/2007 8:31 PM

The 2007 Masters at Idlewild will now be a one-day event on Saturday July 28th...

edge - 6/28/2007 8:07 AM

I am interested in coming out to watch some of the action. I have never attended anything this big before, so could someone give me an idea of what to expect? Will there by viewing areas roped off along the course? I could be happy watching the throws from the #1 teepad, but I imagine many people must like to watch the putting too.
Will there be any vendors there? (discs, drinks, etc)

Thanks for any info....

Thanks for your interest, sorry it took me a while to catch up on this thread.
There won't be areas roped off, usually only the very biggest disc golf tournaments attract a large enough gallery to warrant that. There will probably be few spectators -- what you could do is watch from a teepad or follow a group of players from just behind as they play the course. During round 2, you could follow the lead card if you wanted.

Fred Salaz (Disc-n-tucky) is the TD (tournament director) for this event and he is a disc vendor. He is also the Idlewild course pro and the guy who does and has done more work on the course than the rest of us combined.
Rob J
Posted: Wednesday, July 11, 2007 7:40:53 PM

^ bump ^
edge
Posted: Thursday, July 12, 2007 6:34:13 AM

Quote:
Thanks for your interest, sorry it took me a while to catch up on this thread.
There won't be areas roped off, usually only the very biggest disc golf tournaments attract a large enough gallery to warrant that. There will probably be few spectators -- what you could do is watch from a teepad or follow a group of players from just behind as they play the course. During round 2, you could follow the lead card if you wanted.

Fred Salaz (Disc-n-tucky) is the TD (tournament director) for this event and he is a disc vendor. He is also the Idlewild course pro and the guy who does and has done more work on the course than the rest of us combined.

Thanks for your reply Rob.....I am definately going to come out and watch. I would love to follow a group around, I had no idea one could do that. I think a guy like me could learn a lot from just watching the better players play

I saw Fred the other day working with a friend of his at Idlewild. They were doing some pretty hard work on a hot day. We are all fortunate to have guys like him who contribute so much to the local scene.
bobherb
Posted: Thursday, July 12, 2007 2:15:12 PM

Fred works at Idlewild (and other courses too) on hot days, cold days, year round really.
If you are motivated send him a p.m. and ask if you can help.
It can be very rewarding to be part of the Idlewild work crew.
I, for one, enjoy working on Idlewild more than playing it.
Rob J
Posted: Thursday, July 12, 2007 7:57:55 PM

Bob, any plans to open up that narrow hyzer route on your hole (#6) before the Masters?
i know you have talked about it before and i keep hoping ;-)
Rob J
Posted: Thursday, July 12, 2007 8:00:19 PM

Here is the flyer for the 2007 Masters at Idlewild:  

EDGEWOOD ELECTRIC
PRESENTS
THE MASTERS AT IDLEWILD

Saturday July 28, 2007

a PDGA-sanctioned XB tier event

* $1000 CA$H ADDED TO PRO PURSE *

FIELD IS LIMITED TO 72 TOTAL MASTER PLAYERS ON A FIRST COME BASIS

PRO DIVISIONS OFFERED: $57 ENTRY FEE for PROS (Lunch included)
PRO MEN: MASTER, GRAND MASTER, SR. GRANDMASTER
PRO WOMEN: MASTER

AM DIVISIONS OFFERED: $37 ENTRY FEE for ADVANCED – (Lunch & Players Package included)
MEN– ADVANCED MASTER, ADVANCED GRANDMASTER
AM WOMEN – ADVANCED MASTER WOMEN ONLY

IF YOU ARE NOT A CURRENT PDGA MEMBER: ADD $5 PDGA fee to your entry

THERE MUST BE A MINIMUM OF 4 TO OPEN A DIVISION (Except Women’s Divisions)

2 ROUNDS WILL BE PLAYED SATURDAY
1ST ROUND From THE SHORTS; 2nd ROUND From THE LONGS 

check-in or register by 8:15am * PLAYERS MEETING IS AT 8:30am * TEE OFF AT 9:00am

FRIDAY AFTERNOON JULY 27, THERE WILL BE A BALL GOLF VS DISC GOLF CHALLENGE WITH THE TOURNAMENT SPONSOR MARK GOETZ FROM EDGEWOOD ELECTRIC AND HIS FRIENDS VS TOURNAMENT DIRECTOR FRED SALAZ, BOB HERBERT, PETE CALDWELL AND OTHER TEAM OF DISC GOLFERS (TBD LATER). COME ROOT FOR THE DISC GOLFERS AND HAVE SOME FUN WATCHING THIS CHALLENGE. CHALLENGE WILL START BETWEEN 4 AND 5 PM. CHECK WWW.CINCINNATIDISCGOLF.COM FOR MORE INFO OR CONTACT TD FRED SALAZ AT SALAZF@FUSE.NET , 859-341-0156

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Send registration and payment payable to:
DISC-N-TUCKY
695 TRIPLE LAKE DRIVE
CRESCENT SPRINGS, KY 41017

Name: _____________________________________________ Phone: _______________________
Address:____________________________________________City:_________________________________
State: ______________________Zip Code: __________ E-Mail: _________________
Division: _________________________________PDGA#: ____________________

I hold blameless and fully release the Professional Disc Golf Association (PDGA), City of Burlington, Boone County Parks, the Tournament Directors, staff and any other individuals associated with the Masters at Idlewild Disc Golf Tournament held 7/28/07 from all liability for personal damage or injury or personal loss I may incur before, during or after my participation in this event. I accept full and sole responsibility for any damage I may cause through negligence and/or malice, including, but not limited to, damages or injuries caused by my own throws of a golf disc.

SIGNATURE ____________________________________________

Rob J
Posted: Friday, July 13, 2007 9:14:43 AM

Peter Shive had the following to say about Idlewild:

Idlewild amazed me. It is now one of my favorite courses, perhaps even THE favorite course, of all time. It has everything going for it -- topography, water, well-groomed trees and vegetation, and very intellegent hole design (including alterante pins and tees). It is also just a beautiful place to be, and the club has installed the necessary construction elements (bridges, buttresses, etc) in complete harmony with the natural setting. It makes you use every shot you are capable of throwing, but it doesn't need any yellow rope or other artificial elements to make you do it. When you think about the amount of forethought and effort it takes to build a course like that, you realize that it is a great privilege to play there.

I expect that courses like Idlewild (I think of them as the "par 72" courses) are an indication of the direction that disc golf is heading. We will always need plenty of the "par 54" type courses, because newbies are our lifeblood, and Idlewild would intimidate and dishearten most beginners. But the Idlewild-like courses will become our crown jewels.

[ message #697481 - 05/28/07 at www.pdga.com ]
bobherb
Posted: Friday, July 13, 2007 12:40:45 PM

Rob,
I "think" Fred is O.K. with making that alternate fairway on # 6. I need to meet with him to see if we can agree on how many trees should be removed. We have to be careful about keeping ample safety buffers between fairway # 6, # 5 basket and # 7 tee.

Peter Shive is a great, fun loving, educated guy who loves to compete. He is retired and has time for just about as much disc golf as he can stand. He is involved with the PDGA and wants the game to GROW! Those were kind and experienced words he wrote about Idlewild.
Rob J
Posted: Saturday, July 14, 2007 6:56:44 PM

$1000 added cash and not many entrees as of yet... this is one of the best courses in the country and it's only a one-day event so sign up soon...
KevinB
Posted: Monday, July 16, 2007 7:37:50 PM

*Online Registration* for The Masters at Idlewild can now be done via Pay Pal at Idlewild Disc Golf

Quote:

EDGEWOOD ELECTRIC
PRESENTS
THE MASTERS AT IDLEWILD

Saturday July 28, 2007

AM DIVISIONS OFFERED: $37 ENTRY FEE for ADVANCED – (Lunch & Players Package included)

check-in or register by 8:15am * PLAYERS MEETING IS AT 8:30am * TEE OFF AT 9:00am

FRIDAY AFTERNOON JULY 27, THERE WILL BE A BALL GOLF VS DISC GOLF CHALLENGE WITH THE TOURNAMENT SPONSOR MARK GOETZ FROM EDGEWOOD ELECTRIC AND HIS FRIENDS VS TOURNAMENT DIRECTOR FRED SALAZ, BOB HERBERT, PETE CALDWELL AND OTHER TEAM OF DISC GOLFERS (TBD LATER). COME ROOT FOR THE DISC GOLFERS AND HAVE SOME FUN WATCHING THIS CHALLENGE. CHALLENGE WILL START BETWEEN 4 AND 5 PM. CHECK WWW.CINCINNATIDISCGOLF.COM FOR MORE INFO OR CONTACT TD FRED SALAZ AT SALAZF@FUSE.NET , 859-341-0156

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DISC-N-TUCKY
695 TRIPLE LAKE DRIVE

Name: _____________________________________________ Phone: _______________________
Address:____________________________________________City:_________________________________

I hold blameless and fully release the Professional Disc Golf Association (PDGA), City of Burlington, Boone County Parks, the Tournament Directors, staff and any other individuals associated with the Masters at Idlewild Disc Golf Tournament held 7/28/07 from all liability for personal damage or injury or personal loss I may incur before, during or after my participation in this event. I accept full and sole responsibility for any damage I may cause through negligence and/or malice, including, but not limited to, damages or injuries caused by my own throws of a golf disc.

Entries for The Masters at Idlewild can now be done via Pay Pal at Idlewild Disc Golf

KevinB
Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 2007 9:02:03 AM

Please note that the Ball Golf Vs Disc Golf Challenge will tee off at 4pm Friday, July 27th.
This event is being held at Boone Link Golf Course, which is located at 19 Clubhouse Drive, Florence, Kentucky.
Anyone that happens to play ball golf at this course, please make an effort to extend your thanks to PGA Pro Russ Gartner for all his help in making this event possible.
KevinB
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2007 6:58:03 AM

*Online Registration* for The Masters at Idlewild can now be done via Pay Pal at Idlewild Disc Golf

EDGEWOOD ELECTRIC
PRESENTS
THE MASTERS AT IDLEWILD

Saturday July 28, 2007

FRIDAY AFTERNOON JULY 27, THERE WILL BE A BALL GOLF VS DISC GOLF CHALLENGE at BOONE LINKS GOLF COURSE IN FLORENCE, KENTUCKY WITH THE TOURNAMENT SPONSOR MARK GOETZ FROM EDGEWOOD ELECTRIC AND HIS FRIENDS VS TOURNAMENT DIRECTOR FRED SALAZ, BOB HERBERT, PETE CALDWELL AND OTHER TEAM OF DISC GOLFERS (TBD LATER). COME ROOT FOR THE DISC GOLFERS AND HAVE SOME FUN WATCHING THIS CHALLENGE. CHALLENGE WILL START AT 4pm. CHECK WWW.CINCINNATIDISCGOLF.COM FOR MORE INFO OR CONTACT TD FRED SALAZ AT SALAZF@FUSE.NET , 859-341-0156

DISC-N-TUCKY
695 TRIPLE LAKE DRIVE

Entries for The Masters at Idlewild can can also be done via Pay Pal at Idlewild Disc Golf

Rob J
Posted: Friday, July 20, 2007 4:52:54 PM

only 5 people signed up so far and there is a lot of added cash... ... lunch is included with entry fee ... [url=http://www.pdga.com/tournament/tournament_results.php?TournID=6550]click here to view pre-registered list[/url]
Quote:

M_Boland
Posted: Sunday, July 22, 2007 12:32:40 PM

...it's Idlewild. If your not a hommie or your not that good at a championship kind of course, you won't play there
matthew_blakely
Posted: Monday, July 23, 2007 7:03:21 AM

Dan Busick was thinking about it. Isn't Pete playing? I believe Jim Ferrara plans on playing.
I'm sure there will be a number of people waiting till the last moment like always. Probably scoping out the weather forecast.
So who all is playing the ball golf Challenge. Are their two teams of two players? Bob, Pete, Fred, ? Just curious as to whats going on? Hope everything goes well Fred.
bobherb
Posted: Monday, July 23, 2007 1:13:50 PM

Fred shortened the tourney to a one day to try and get some of the longer range travelers to play before heading up to the Worlds. While scheduling, he did not realize the following week was Worlds week.
pcaldwell
Posted: Monday, July 23, 2007 7:17:56 PM

Several guys at the BHMO told me they were coming and several said they were seriously considering it. I think that for all the convenience PayPal offers, it also seems to encourage DGers to wait until the last minute to sign up - since it is so fast. Nice for sensitive guys like Fred who can now wait until the day before and see if it might be rainy, windy, or cloudy before they'll play...

Sure beats mailing the check 3 days prior and having to hope the mailman doesn't take a long lunch and cause you to miss the deadline.
Rob J
Posted: Tuesday, July 24, 2007 12:40:13 PM

I think Fred didn't realize Doubles would happen at Worlds this year and that is why he thought Masters might come down this way for the Masters at Idlewild before heading up to Wisconsin for Pro Worlds which starts next Wednesday.

Just updated the list -- only 9 pre-registered so far...

click here to view pre-registered list

sign-up online via Paypal / credit card here
Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 2007 1:09:40 PM

Considering the trek from 3-4 hours north for "Masters at Idlewild". Are there any good deals or recommendations on hotels in the Idlewild area for Friday night. Any information would be helpful.

Thanks,

Tim
Rob J
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2007 7:42:45 PM

help us out and pre-register online by tomorrow evening:

pcaldwell
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2007 8:17:04 PM

According to the Columbus board: Busick, Turbo, and Janney and possibly more are coming. That's good. Might get a decent field after all! Where's Bob, Eades, Jim F., Mahl, Hollywood, Aulick, and the rest of the local old guys?
KevinB
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2007 6:59:54 AM

The Ball Golf vs. Disc Golf Challenge is being held today at Boone Links Golf Course in Florence, KY and will tee off at 4pm.

Directions to course: Coming from southbound I-71/75, exit at KY 18 going right towards Burlington. From KY 18 take a left on Oakbrook Drive, go to Wynds Drive and take a left. Proceed on Wynds Drive to left on Clubhouse Drive and this ends in the parking lot of Boone Links.
HBC
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2007 7:00:56 AM

HB Clark and Jeff Soule are coming from Bowling Green . . . see ya'll Sat am. (both Pro GM)
Rob J
Posted: Friday, July 27, 2007 7:15:04 AM

Quote:
pcaldwell - 7/26/2007 11:17 PM

According to the Columbus board: Busick, Turbo, and Janney and possibly more are coming. That's good. Might get a decent field after all! Where's Bob, Eades, Jim F., Mahl, Hollywood, Aulick, and the rest of the local old guys?

Jeff is registered for the Wildcat Hollow Open, not sure about the others. maybe they are unaware of the superb online registration site Kevin created and plan to wait till Saturday morning to sign up???

i am also wondering about the Dayton folks like Jack, Bo, etc... hope everyone can attend -- the course is better than ever.

help the TD's out -- please pre-register ->