Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Do you want to be a Course Pro! Options
BIGBOY
Posted: Wednesday, March 29, 2006 9:34:31 PM

In an effort to improve courses in the Cincinnati area and to increase disc golf awareness in your community I am revamping the concept of the COURSE PRO for local courses in order to increase involvement with each and every course. I have my own idea of what a COURSE PRO should do but what do you think? Share your ideas.

I already have some people that have spoken up for some local courses so if you are interested let me know. Remember involvement with a course will require some time and effort so if you don't have time then maybe you should work with the COURSE PRO when you have time.

Don't hesitate to call or email me, John Kuhns AKA BIG BOY
513-520-1432
pdga17301@hotmail.com
RBFaul
Posted: Tuesday, April 24, 2007 6:52:57 AM

Bizump... has Colerain/Heritage been claimed yet?
BIGBOY
Posted: Friday, April 27, 2007 10:53:47 AM

RBFaul,

BIGBOY........HERE! No one has claimed Colerain. If you would like to participate in the Course Pro Program please call me so we can discuss plans and ideas that you have. Again I can be reached at 513-520-1432 call and leave a message with your return phone number if I do not answer.

Your Friendly Kuhns
Discgolfkid
Posted: Friday, April 27, 2007 1:56:17 PM

Who's got Harbin? We use that course for the Pig and now Deuce or Die this year, so I was trying to think if there was any way we could make it more aethetically pleasing? Maybe some flowers or trees? I don't really know what, but sometimes its sad to see a well-designed course that is just not as beautiful as it could be.
bobherb
Posted: Friday, April 27, 2007 2:25:47 PM

Sounds good Kid - find a tee that has a little shade and consider planting some Impatiens and Ivy.
You will definitely need some potting soil with a goodly amount of peat moss in the mix because it really dries out in the warm Summer heat and breeze at Harbin.
Cactus or some sort of succulent may be good for #1 tee as there is little shade there.
I am sure the Park dudes would be pleased to see someone take such an interest in the course.
It may be a good idea to tell them your plans first though.
bkaplan10
Posted: Friday, April 27, 2007 2:39:57 PM

Kid, I was thinking about taking Harbin as well. I know Nick has been trying to get ahold of the Fairfield parks person, but, to no avail. I wouldn't do anything on that course without talking to the parks department. It could be a lovely course, but, it's definitely in need of some tlc.
Discgolfkid
Posted: Friday, April 27, 2007 7:32:41 PM

One other thing I just remembered was in the woods on hole number 6. One of my friend's discs got taken in there by the wind, and we found shards of glass and some pretty otherwise "unsafe" trash to just be lying around, so maybe we could clean that up too? More or less for safety then anything else...

If Nick can get those parks guys, then just let me know because I would love to help. Have we checked with volunteering on their park site? Because I seem to remember they needed volunteers to take care of Harbin park, the disc golf course specifically.
BIGBOY
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2007 4:00:42 PM

Kid,

This is kuhns, the course pro coordinator. Nick and Brian have both talked with me about adopting Fairfield, as Kapgun said earlier in his post. I will talk with them both soon to see if they want it.

Nengle,

I am going to try to talk with someone at the Fairfield Parks dept this week. Call me if you have a problem with me doing this.
BIGBOY
Posted: Monday, April 30, 2007 7:18:55 PM

To All:

We had a course clean up this last Saturday at Mt. Airy. A mass email was sent out to let people know about it. I did not get a post on the board and I am sorry for that. Paul and I showed up to the clean up and picked up about 5 bags of trash and got a free lunch from the parks department. Thank you Paul for coming. It would have been lonely picking up trash with Ziggy in tow. We made a good showing to the parks department by having representatives from the club there.
RBFaul
Posted: Tuesday, May 01, 2007 4:12:01 PM

John, sent you an email regarding Colerain. Glad to hear Mt. Airy was a success :)
BIGBOY
Posted: Tuesday, May 01, 2007 8:07:26 PM

RBFaul,

I responded to your email. Let me know what you think.

kuhns
:goat
Discgolfkid
Posted: Wednesday, May 09, 2007 6:52:46 PM

Thank you, Johhny Sias. Here's a picture of an O.B. line that would really help make a course like Harbin much more beautiful.

http://mysite.verizon.net/imagelib/sitebuilder/misc/show_image.html?linkedwidth=actual&linkpath=http://mysite.verizon.net/vzephghu/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/outofbounds2.jpg&target=tlx_new&title=Pretty OB line on hole# 1

Good to add a beautiful O.B. line? Bad to put some flowers were casuals might trample them? :think
RBFaul
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2007 7:50:20 AM

Quote:
Discgolfkid - 5/9/2007 6:52 PM

Thank you, Johhny Sias. Here's a picture of an O.B. line that would really help make a course like Harbin much more beautiful.

http://mysite.verizon.net/imagelib/sitebuilder/misc/show_image.html?linkedwidth=actual&linkpath=http://mysite.verizon.net/vzephghu/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/outofbounds2.jpg&target=tlx_new&title=Pretty OB line on hole# 1

Good to add a beautiful O.B. line? Bad to put some flowers were casuals might trample them? :think

Didn't even think there was an OB line for hole #1 to begin with save for maybe the treeline way off to the right, and how often are people throwing into that?

Thankfully, Harbin is one of those courses that's already gorgeous to begin with, and you probably won't have to do much adding to it. Though I think it would be kinda nice to see a few trees planted around #4 - would definitely add to the character considering it's got none to begin with. The only possible problem I could see with that is that the park uses that area for its firework show - but there's already a lot of trees around there now, so I don't see that becoming a big issue anyway.
Discgolfkid
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2007 1:25:37 PM

I was more thinking maybe something to seperate 1 and 9 (because a hyzer shot on 9 or 1 flies into the other's fairway.) But whatever works. Something on 4 would be great, so long as it doesn't kill any route. Maybe we could put two trees, one on each side of the fairway, in kind of an effort to show where you want to be? To collect somewhat errant shots? It really depends what we want to do, but mostly we just have to see when and if the parks can communicate with us.
RBFaul
Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2007 9:13:30 AM

Quote:
Discgolfkid - 5/14/2007 1:25 PM

I was more thinking maybe something to seperate 1 and 9 (because a hyzer shot on 9 or 1 flies into the other's fairway.) But whatever works. Something on 4 would be great, so long as it doesn't kill any route. Maybe we could put two trees, one on each side of the fairway, in kind of an effort to show where you want to be? To collect somewhat errant shots? It really depends what we want to do, but mostly we just have to see when and if the parks can communicate with us.

1 and 9? That is quite a bit of land, and I've never seen any problems with overlap, but I can see what you're talking about. I would think the only concern would be how much work/money it might take to do that, and to make sure that the crews don't mow over it (sometimes they're a little reckless - an instance of it is basket #14 last year; there's no way you can tell me that pole was bent w/o the assistance of some machinery). And that's a good idea for #4 - you could easily put them both on the top of that second hill on both sides - might add some guidance to new throwers, and even some difficulty to guys that like throwing wildly into nowhere on that hole! :D
East4dg
Posted: Saturday, June 09, 2007 6:10:16 AM

Williamsburg now has a course pro...none other then the Irish assassin,
Dave Cox. Lessons start at $25 an hour. Un-screw your form before you're
demoted to Rec by contacting Dave or myself.