Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Turtlecreek Course Options
DISCfunctional
Posted: Monday, May 29, 2006 7:35:19 PM

They have just approved another nine holes for this course and are going to wait till the winter to allow the woods to clear out a bit to install the new 9 baskets. (THANKS STEVE!!!!) Last month they added a practice basket.(THANKS AGAIN STEVE) This course is gaining ground quickly. I really think this course would be prime for a NIGHT COURSE and would love to see if we could raise some funds to complete this. The Middletown club along with Brian Duncan have been holding some fund raising events there to help buy some trees to install there. So far I have not seen the Dayton Club or Cinci Club lay claim to this course as of yet. Which club will start holding some course challenges here first??????
discndat
Posted: Tuesday, May 30, 2006 4:13:12 AM

The Cincy club will definitely be involved. I have been in contact with Steve and the club will help Steve design the second nine. I'm sure we can have some tourneys there at some point.
DISCfunctional
Posted: Tuesday, May 30, 2006 6:46:46 PM

I was so glad to hear that Steve talked to you about design on the course today at the Middletown Club Fund Raiser at Turtlecreek... With you 2 guys and a little help from GCFDC. this could turn out SWEEEEEET.

Steve, Of course let me know what I can do to help when the time comes.

discnforfun
Posted: Saturday, July 29, 2006 8:41:37 AM

Long time Miami Township resident and long time disc golfer. Sent you a PM. Hope this is news about a new course in the area. I have talked to the trustees in the past about putting one in. They have always expressed an interest. Look forward to hearing back from you.
M_Boland
Posted: Saturday, July 29, 2006 9:19:26 PM

Discnforfun...We need help with proposing a course in Miami Meadows. There is a chunk of land that would be perfect. We have several discgolf players in the Milford/Goshen/Loveland area that are willing help out.

Paul, I went back in the woods behind the skate park. I think we hit the jack pot.
M_Boland
Posted: Saturday, July 29, 2006 9:25:34 PM

Paul, is there anyway you can get a topographical map of Miami Meadows? I can't find anything online.
dg03
Posted: Saturday, July 29, 2006 11:18:38 PM

longtime Milford resident who always complains about the lack of DG alternatives on the east side. I'd be happy to help in any way I can if there is an opportunity in our area.

I had asked about DG at the Avoca Trailhead on Columbia Parkway, a new Ham.Co. park set up for the recently extended Little Miami bike trail. It includes some land between the parking area and the river where DG would be great...if the park district would be willing to take on the additional mowing that would be necessary. Has this opportunity ever been explored with Ham.County parks?

Please let me know if I can help. The reference to Milford/Miami Township certainly has my interest!
M_Boland
Posted: Sunday, July 30, 2006 5:37:09 AM

We need all the help we can get...please! I thought that I was the only player DG in Milford...I guess not, which is great to see. It would be HUGE if we can get a lot of people from the Milford area at the board meeting, and anyone else too :-)

Paul and I were scouting some area in Miami Meadows. Most of the course would be in a mature woods with a few blasters in the open. This proposal for a park has evolved very quickly, so please keep checking the thread
frequently.

When we get board meeting info and a course proposal ready to present, it will be posted on here.
NEngle
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2006 11:13:57 AM

From "Mr. Middletown", Ben Burton:

"Hey everyone, the details for the burntgrass open are here. We have big plans for this day of disc golf and burntgrass. The event will be held at Turtle Creek DGC. I will be temping out a back nine, some of it thru the woods and some in the open. Signups for the tourney will begin at 9am at the shelter by hole 9. Divisions are; Open-$20, Advanced-$15, Novice-$10, and Rec-$5. Ace fund will be $2 and if no one hits an ace we will have a ctp for the cash. Lots of plastic to be given away. If you want to help send me an email at ben_burton4@msn.com. Donations for prizes will be greatly appreciated. And after the disc and cash is handed out everyone will get a special treat, Burntgrass will perform right on the disc golf course. Burntgrass will be heading out to denver the following week for CletusFest and if anyone want to donate a buck to help them boys get to CO I'm sure that would be very appreciated. Everyone is welcome, even if you only show up for the music, we are shooting for a 6 o'clock start on the music."

2Timer
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2006 11:41:03 AM

What is the date?
NEngle
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2006 11:43:28 AM

He didn't say.  I e-mailed him to ask & will post that info when I get it.
chief32
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2006 11:46:03 AM

Sept.9 was the last date that I heard.
2Timer
Posted: Thursday, September 07, 2006 6:08:27 AM

Anyone have any updates on this?
chief32
Posted: Thursday, September 07, 2006 6:12:08 AM

Sept.30 is the date for mini-tourny and bluegrass band Burntgrass
chief32
Posted: Thursday, September 07, 2006 11:34:42 AM

Yes it's the same day. Ben said this was the only date that the banjo player had open.
rosdj
Posted: Wednesday, September 27, 2006 6:22:03 PM

Will this tournament be run similar to the course challenges, with two rounds, or will there be just one?
chief32
Posted: Thursday, September 28, 2006 4:27:34 AM

2 rounds
DanH
Posted: Thursday, September 28, 2006 9:45:36 AM

Two rounds of 18 according to the website:

http://www.myspace.com/burntgrassopen

I'll be there.
cubbies
Posted: Saturday, September 30, 2006 4:10:23 AM

bump
chief32
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2006 8:05:04 AM

There were about 20 new trees and bushes planted on the course from hole #1 thru hole #5.
Discgolfkid
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2006 2:21:03 PM

Excellent. I played that course just recently and I realized just how many people play it; my only concern being that it lacked obstacles. These new obstacles will be a nice added challenge. I also noticed that there was some back-up, are you guys adding the back nine soon? I think that might help alleviate the problem, as with Winton Woods, having a back nine gives you an option on which part to start on if the front nine seems congested.
bobherb
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2006 3:20:17 PM

I know what you mean about that "crazy need".
Of all my rewarding Disc Golf experiences, helping to design and work on Idlewild may well be my favorite. It was a lot of creative fun, hard work (ask Fred about this subject), and continues to be rewarding everytime I think about it (often) or hear someone's favorable (or not) experiences while playing it. Thanks for including me Federico, my DISC BROTHER!!!
Discgolfkid
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2006 3:26:38 PM

Idlewild is easily the best designed public course I think I'll ever find. You're so lucky you got to help; I didn't even know what disc golf WAS when you guys started planning it. That course is what really got me to start practicing disc golf a lot more, because I saw just how hard it was. My first round there was a 122. I had heard about guys shooting in the 60's. That course challenged me so much that I go every few months to see if my score ever improves. I like to call it the "disc golf mecca of the world", as it never ceases to challenge me. I'd have a decent score (as in maybe a 90? haha, okay decent for ME) if you guys had never put in 5 and 6. Those holes back to back always demoralize me into getting huge numbers on them. I play them over and over in my mind and I find that I cannot find an easy route. I'll probably come to the course challenge (or SONKY or Disc'n'dat or SOMETHING) and see how the best tackle those two holes.

bobherb
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2006 3:47:31 PM

5 and 6 have both been three'ed but a good score is a "4" on #5 and a "5" on #6.
Discgolfkid
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2006 3:51:43 PM

Alright, so double the normal score and you've got mine!

Honestly, one day I'm just going to sit by 5 and 6 and play them over and over until I find a rout to get at least close to par. I'm thinking that a pro would use his distance to anhyzer the shot up over the first hill. That's what killed me last time; I should've used my dang aviar or perhaps my rhyno for a roller. For six I'd probably just need more crazy D with a roc or something.  What do you do?