Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Turtlecreek Course Options
bobherb
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2006 10:43:35 AM

Some of the "Big Guns" take their chances on hole #5 tee and throw a very high, left to right driver disc in an attempt to reach the top of the hill, and, hopefully, have an open shot up the narrow fairway to the basket. This sometimes yields a "3" on the hole, if they execute successfully.
I throw a putter/approach disc off the tee, downward to the peninsula, then proceed up the fairway with a midrange disc, usually twice, to reach the green, and take a "4" if I execute properly.
Hole #6 is played, off the tee, by throwing a midrange disc (some throw a roller to try to get to the second bend) to the first bend, another midrange disc to the second bend, and a left to right flying disc up the narrow 3rd leg. If the third shot is deadly accurate you can have a putt for a "4".
Fred threw a forehand on his third shot once and it went in... for a "3". As far as I know, that is the only time it was three'ed.
PaulDmt
Posted: Wednesday, November 15, 2006 10:37:38 PM

To clarify a little, some of the "Big Guns" try to throw over as many trees as possible on #5 and hope to crash down in a reasonable spot. Sometimes this works and they can get an easy 3.
Craig
Posted: Thursday, November 16, 2006 3:07:54 AM

Over the top on five only seems to work for righties too. My spike hyzer can't make it to the top of the hill. But I have a mean backhand roller off the tee of #6. Too bad it take ten tries to get it right once.
ccs
Posted: Saturday, December 02, 2006 3:59:26 PM

Does anyone want/need any help at either of the Monroe courses? I see work going on at both courses and I am in that area pretty often.

Monroe community park is a much nicer piece of land than I envisioned it to be. I nice older park with some elevation changes and trees. The section with all pines looks really nice.
I think the issue of longer tee pads will come into play on holes like 6(?) because the tee is on the slope and you won't be able to start a run up from behind the tee.

Chris
DISCfunctional
Posted: Monday, December 04, 2006 7:45:19 PM

We are planning to go to Monroe this weekend to start chopping some honeysuckle and may be there most the day. ANYONE who has the equiptment or just strong back that would help with this HUGE job would be encouraged and welcomed to come out and get this cutout so we have another fine course for Cincinnati this spring.

PLEASE COME HELP IF YOU CAN!!!!!!!!

SATURDAY the 9th @ 8am

SUNDAY AFTER CHURCH IS VERY POSSIBLE ALSO

PS...JUST WAIT TILL YOU SEE THE NEW NINE AT TURTLECREEK!!!! WOW IS IT COMING ALONG NICE. DAN MIKE JEFF AND STEVE HAVE DONE SOME INCREDIBLE WORK!!
mikejenkins1
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2007 9:34:17 AM

So what is the latest at TurtleCreek? Will it be ready for Spring time play?
chief32
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2007 10:29:27 AM

There is still a little clean-up to do. We can't find anyone that has any positive to say how to get grass to grow in the woods.The Warren Cty. Ext. Office says it would be a waste of money to plant grass seed. Looking for some type of ground cover that might work without getting too tall. Gravel may be our best option for wet areas. With that, the baskets are going to be installed as soon as it drys enough to get equip. in. Hopefully next week.
bobherb
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2007 11:31:17 AM

If some upper branches are trimmed and you allow some time for the grass to take root (untill June) you could likely have a successful ground cover. Better yet, close the course in mid September, plant some grass seed (weeds do not grow in the Fall but grass will) and do not open the course until the wet Spring is past in 2008. This summer (of 2007) will allow you to see where the trouble spots are, i.e. muddy spots, and perhaps gravel etc. could be employed.
chief32
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2007 12:08:43 PM

Bob, I really appreciate your suggestions. We've considered all that you've gave. I don't know if you have seen this woods. It is really thick. We were limited to only cutting brush and scrub trees. I'm sure we could get grass to grow this spring but, as soon as the leaves on the trees come out, it will shade the grass out and die. Grass seed is way to expensive to waste. I can use that $ for tee signs.
NEngle
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2007 12:20:09 PM

You'll have a very hard time getting anything to grow back in there. Grass seed prices are expected to hit $90 a 50 pound bag (wholesale costs) by this summer. That's for Turf Type Tall Fescue (the best for this area). One bag would cover about 5,000sf. That would get pretty costly, pretty quickly. Ground cover's not cheap either, and there are plenty of environmental issues to consider with that as well. My professional advice would be gravel treatments (ask RobJ aka Gravelman) combined with lots o' mulch on the fairways (see Banklick).

Nick Engle, HortGuru
bobherb
Posted: Friday, March 16, 2007 2:49:22 PM

Hole #'s 5, 6, 18 etc. at Idlewild had "no" grass seed planted and a "cost free, natural, sustainable" ground cover (some grass/some broad leaf) developed from the naturally existing seeds on the surface. We were able to have 3 years to clear these fairways. If you mulch, you will mulch, and mulch... forever, because it rots and becomes mud over time. If you cannot trim this (mulching) may be the only way. 2 cents + inflation?
Rob J
Posted: Saturday, March 17, 2007 10:28:42 AM

astroturf? (ruh-roh r'astro)
benburton_gmfdc
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2007 6:55:50 PM

I played all holes today, they are fantastic, you guys really out did yourselves, the layout works great with the original nine, some of those new holes are some of the best ive played, are you guys excepting tee sponsors?
DanH
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2007 10:13:55 PM

I think I was playing a couple holes in front of you out there yesterday Ben, but I didn't realize that was you. I'm glad you like the holes, although I seem to remember hearing a lot of loud tree smacking sounds behind me. :smile

I tend to agree with what Keith stated in the Gulley thread. There are a couple holes that don't really have a good route and/or need some scrub trees removed.

Right now we're looking at probably removing a couple scrub trees on 14 and 17. Also, I saw a way to straighten out 17 a little last night. As for 16, it might just have to remain a 2 shot hole because it's too thick back there to route it any other way.

The rest of the holes I'm pretty happy with, but I welcome any feedback on how to improve the course.

As for tee sponsors, Steve would have to answer that.
ccs
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2007 11:25:08 AM

I played some of the new holes yesterday. I didn't have much time and think I missed a few but I really liked how it played. It was very wet but we did have a ton of rain over the weekend. I'm pretty conservative when it comes to tree removal so I would play it as is for a few months. There were routes on all of the new holes I played, some of them were pretty tight but most of them aren't very long either. The only ones I dueced were 12 and 13. I liked the two longest holes the best but I don't remember what number they were.
benburton_gmfdc
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2007 6:26:26 PM

i agree with ccs, i fyou play them as they are for now maybe they will widen as more and more people play them
DanH
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2007 11:39:55 AM

Ok, thanks for the input. I don't want to remove trees to widen or make the holes easier necessarily. My main motive is to try to decrease the element of luck as much as I can. For example, if there is a lone scrub tree in the middle of a narrow fairway around a blind turn, and it blocks an otherwise good shot, then that is a bad tree.

Nevertheless, I'll leave the course be for a while, and see how it goes. I'm so busy with Gulley, Monroe, and tournaments for the next couple weeks, I don't have time anyways.

Nice deuce on 13, btw. I have yet to get that one. My sidearm doesn't travel far enough.
bobherb
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2007 10:02:37 AM

A decent rule of thumb (or hands) can be obtained by walking down the middle of your fairways with your arms outstretched to your sides. If you do not have at least 3 feet of clearance on either side of your hands as you proceed from tee to basket you (may be a red-neck? - No!) may need to do some trimming.
In the up and down dimension, it is also good to have at least 10 feet of clearance between the ground and the lowest branches. If a hole is "extremely" short, you can get by on a bit less clearance.
2 cents + inflation...
2Timer
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2007 10:42:12 AM

Kinda of like the tree right in the middle of the fairway on hole 9 at Airy.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2007 3:56:40 PM

I agree Dave, let's cut that sucker down...
Discgolfkid
Posted: Saturday, May 05, 2007 3:14:34 PM

Went out and played it today -- I'm definately loving the trees that were planted on the front nine as they will become an integral factor several years from now. Also, I think the new nine holes in the woods really helps to define the course and adds to the overall enjoyment factor several times over. Some casuals I saw really enjoyed the inherent challenge of new number 7, although later they were a bit confused about how to go from hole to hole (they played 7 again to 7's old basket.)

The wooded holes are indeed tight and require lots of banked shots. My advice -- just bring a super overstable diver and a very understable driver and you should fare much better in the woods. All in all I enjoyed the course very much, the only thing I would request is some cement tee pads (when the tee areas have been decided; I like them where they all are now except for maybe the hole that has an extreme right turn over a creek. That tee could maybe be moved left just a few feet.) I also think some minimal clearing of brush, sometimes around greens, would be nice. Almost forgot to add that I love the gravel around the baskets! It really helped me figure out where the basket was, reduced erosion completely, and didn't scuff my discs badly even when I threw a few right into it. Using gravel around the baskets was a great decision; would you consider using it in the fairways instead of mulch/grass?
RBFaul
Posted: Sunday, May 06, 2007 10:34:25 AM

Turtlecreek is now completed? Excellent!
M_Boland
Posted: Monday, May 07, 2007 9:31:03 AM

yes RBF....get your birdies in the open....trust me...
PaulDmt
Posted: Tuesday, May 08, 2007 3:23:16 AM

Discgolfkid, thanks for the update. I hadn't been up there in awhile and had heard of some good stuff happening. Those open holes were good holes but adding trees might make them great holes.
middletown
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2007 7:01:44 AM

As far as tees go, my only problem w/ Turtle Creek is black top tees. They are slick when moistened. I know free is great for now, but I hope we all can agree that if the money can be raised for concrete on all, not just the new, tees; this course becomes super rockin!!
I know Nick and I had discussed an event there using temp OBs for easy poles in the open. With the wind somedays all open poles aren't easy, but to make it PDGA worthy, wouldn't you all agree temp ponds would be necessary?!

The fairways are fine, I've played all over the country and the "luck" factor I feel is a myth. There is always, ALWAYS, a shot for somebody. Left handed roller, right handed tomahawk. Not all poles should be birdiable! Not all fairways should be six feet wide!! I'd leave as is, it's challenging and fun and we don't have to drive forever to play it!!

I'm kind of shocked this forum could gripe about fairway layout, all the rec players here love it, no complaints so far!! Are you sure your just not burdened by bogey ops? That's what we live for, not good scores, good games!!