Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Turtlecreek Course Options
ccs
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2007 10:12:28 AM

How would it work out to put mounds on some of the holes? Holes 2 and 5 are basically the same. One of those pins could be placed on the side or on the back of a mound or behind a small ridge. It could make for more variability in the speed of putts and ace runs could end up be penalized more.

A circle could be cut around the pin and filled with rip rap to signify OB.

DanH
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2007 9:26:44 PM

Mike and I did some work out there on Friday before DiscnDat. And the road crew laid out a bunch more wood chips. The course is really nice to play now. We won't be taking out anymore trees. It's challenging, but fair. If you haven't played it recently or at all, it's worth checking out.
Discgolfkid
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2007 12:54:02 PM

It's definately worth checking out. I already want to go back and play it again.
RBFaul
Posted: Saturday, May 12, 2007 4:41:47 PM

Holy crap - my circle went today and didn't even bother with finishing it. Nothing was clearly marked and the stuff in the woods needs to be cleared out a bit more. I was surprised to see the water fountains in place though - that made things much easier.
ccs
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2007 5:45:41 AM

About 5 years ago I was playing Embshoff and I walked up to the first tee and there was a guy with a saw cutting limbs off the trees. I asked him what the f... he was doing. He said, "this course is way too hard and I'm making it fair".

The new holes are in the very early stages of construction. There are a couple signs here and there to try to lead players around, but the course does need a lot of work. Most of the tees aren't very far from the previous pins. I enjoy the new holes but I shouldn't put people under the impression that it is ready to play for everyone.

Honeysuckle is a nuisance in this part of world and takes time to remove. I had no problem off the tee on any of the holes except 16.The corner is really tight. Some trees were taken out on 14 and 17 already.

The first time I played the new holes was about a month ago and the last time was Friday. There has been a ton of work done in those four weeks.
DanH
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2007 8:53:03 PM

Thanks for the feedback RBFaul. I'll try to get a map up online this week. I didn't realize it was that hard to follow. Do you think some trees need to go or are you referring to the honeysuckle when you get off the fairway?

Most people have said not to take anymore trees down, and I don't plan on it, but by all means crush and maim all honeysuckle that gets in your way should you stray off the (narrow) fairway. The course does need broken in, and we're working on it all the time, but it's still plenty playable for those that like tight and technical.

ccs, we created a new route on 16 that doesn't require that hard turn. Just go straight off the tee. It's still a hard two shot hole, but at least you don't have to do that hard hyzer or skip shot if you don't want to.
M_Boland
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2007 5:28:55 AM

Dan, our circle of players thought that the last woods hole was the one which needed the most attention. The first cut to the right after you throw needs to open up some. and a few "sleeper" trees next to the basket. If you make the shot, you should get rewarded. This is the opinion of the group I played with. A course map or marked signs to the next tee is a big plus also. The first time we were there, we walked all over the place trying to find the next hole. Other than that....the course is pimp!!! We love it...great work!
RBFaul
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2007 7:02:43 AM

Quote:
DanH - 5/13/2007 8:53 PM

Thanks for the feedback RBFaul. I'll try to get a map up online this week. I didn't realize it was that hard to follow. Do you think some trees need to go or are you referring to the honeysuckle when you get off the fairway?

Most people have said not to take anymore trees down, and I don't plan on it, but by all means crush and maim all honeysuckle that gets in your way should you stray off the (narrow) fairway. The course does need broken in, and we're working on it all the time, but it's still plenty playable for those that like tight and technical.

ccs, we created a new route on 16 that doesn't require that hard turn. Just go straight off the tee. It's still a hard two shot hole, but at least you don't have to do that hard hyzer or skip shot if you don't want to.

Well, here goes:

I think the biggest complaint was that there were no signs at all in the woods - none for the teepads, none for course directions (we didn't know if the course was supposed to stay along the nature trail or not). On the first hole into it - where are we supposed to throw from? There was some contention about it being thrown from the pad that was #7, the mulched path, or off to the right past the treeline.

The third hole in the woods really needed cleaning up - tons of brush that made it look like they were all shoved into the right and left, and that's saying nothing of all the dead animals we found on Saturday. We didn't even bother completing the course fully - when we reached the path after the third new hole, we opted to just take the to the right after losing so much time looking for a disc we lost (yellow Wraith - it's most likely deep into the woods off of the mulched tee on the third hole if someone's feeling brave). I agree that you shouldn't have to clear up any more trees though (at least for the three holes we did).

We did like the use of gravel around the baskets though - I kinda wish the Hamilton Park Service would take a page from that and get rid of the paved/concrete crap around their baskets if they need to put something down around them.
DanH
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2007 12:16:13 PM

Mike, we cleared some on 17 the Friday before the DiscNDat, but that first turn is still just as hard. We're considering whether to take out that leaner, move the tee to the left to make it a straight shot, or leave it as is. As for the basket, I fully agree with you. It wasn't supposed to be off left behind those trees, but it was such a swamp back there, that they didn't have a choice when they installed it. The gravel rectified the situation, and we plan on moving the basket back to the center.

Steve F is working on getting approval for the signs as I type this. They should come along soon, now that we have about finalized the tee and basket positions.

RBFaul, I see your point. Playing there without knowing the layout sounds like it can be very confusing. I think what we'll do is put one of those 6x6's or something like that into the ground to designate #7's tee. I put a stake in the ground, but it had to be so low for the mowers that you can't see it. The idea is to tee off from the same area of the original #7, except lined up with the gap.

It sounds like the hole that gave you problems was #11, the 400 ft curvacious hole. I'll give that a look tonight.
mike_kemner
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2007 5:42:47 PM

css,

Dan, Steve, and I were thinking about increasing the difficulty on 5. I think sometime in the future it may be moved to the right a bit and when that happens we my make a raised basket similar to something like you'd see at the USDGC.
mike_kemner
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2007 6:03:16 PM

RBFaul,

Give it a little bit of time I think a lot of what you mentioned will be remedied. Dan and I are working every free day we have, and I do mean every free day. We're spread a little thin with the three new courses we're working on (Monroe, TurtleCreek, and Gulley).

My understanding is that signs are on the way, approval from the park board is required but I don't think that will hold it up. So by this time next month I'll bet signs will be in place. This is a young course so like all young things it is having growing pains. Again we'll be able to fix most of what you've discussed in due time.

I agree that back woods part may not be ready for general consumption. There is always the option of playing original 9 format. there are 20 baskets out there. One extra basket is used as a practice basket near the parking lot and another extra basket is in place from the original 9 format. There is a choose your own adventure option at the course. You can either go into the woods on 7 for the new holes OR you can play to the old basket that still exists on the original 9. Part of the reason we kept it like that is the flow of the course can continue while we transition the course to a full 18. Many people that play the course are unaware that the change has taken place.

We'll eventually get out to clear more honey suckle but that is time consuming. As far as the dead animals, I've never seen any
back there and I'm not sure what we could do about that.
Discgolfkid
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2007 6:12:26 PM

Quote:
. As far as the dead animals, I've never seen any back there and I'm not sure what we could do about that.

Get a bear? I've seen severed bunny parts at Harbin. You just shovel them into the woods and let nature work.

DanH
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2007 8:53:34 PM

I worked out there today, and killed some vines, and took some honeysuckle out on #8 which is the shortest hole out there. I worked for 1.5 hours, and that hole could probably use another 4 hours of work. I think it's time for an Adopt a Hole program at TC to divide the workload. Anyone interested?
mike_kemner
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2007 9:28:18 PM

Yes, I'll adopt holes 1 - 6, 10, and 18. But seriously I think the adopt a hole program would be great for TurtleCreek.
middletown
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2007 7:52:27 AM

I never saw this message before. I just wanted to apologize for Burntgrass Open. I let Ben have a shot at that, he's got a lot to learn. Maybe this year w/ new layout I'll get off my booty and throw together a Turtle Creek Event, we're also planning on reviving the GMFDC Open at Wilson. The afterward keg party is our best fund raiser!! This is what funded the new Wilson, which still needs a new name, anyone creative?
mikejenkins1
Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2007 7:09:08 PM

We played the 18 holes this weekend. Found a few new trees in the open area. The woods area is nice but needs a little more signage at the beginning and in some places in the woods. It is a nicely laid out area and is not too difficult. Sometimes the tees are a little hard to find but you will catch on after a while. What is partly confusing, is there is a 1/2 mile walking trail in the woods that crosses up with the course. But all in all it is very well done and will only improve with age.
chief32
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2007 4:16:55 AM

The tee signs will be delivered this week & should get them up soon. I believe this will eliminate alot of confusion for those not familiar with the layout.
matthew_blakely
Posted: Friday, June 22, 2007 6:28:10 AM

Dan runs a good event on Thursday nights @ turtleCreek. This course is fun and challenging for those who like the woods. I think I will go again and see If I can shot better.
2Timer
Posted: Saturday, June 23, 2007 7:52:55 AM

Nice course
mikejenkins1
Posted: Thursday, June 28, 2007 7:46:10 AM

We played again there last night (6/27/07). Saw some of the new signs on the open area but nothing in the woods. Noticed the arrow to show how #7 goes and where to go is missing. #8 is still a little confusing but once signage is complete it will be better I hope. Noticed that it appeared like there was a little more clearing going on. Nice course.
kmaupin
Posted: Tuesday, August 07, 2007 8:34:52 PM

Just wanted to say I really enjoyed the course, visited it for the first time this past Sunday and had a great time. I thought the signs were well placed and had little problem finding my way around. I have been out of the sport for a few years but hope to be getting back. Nice to see the sport continuing to grow in this area.
chief32
Posted: Wednesday, August 08, 2007 5:15:34 AM

There is a plan to put a message board up, hopefully in the near future. Anyone who loses or finds discs will be able to post notices.
EliteZPuttr
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2007 7:06:56 PM

played this course on 10/10. Thought the first 9 holes were boring (mostly in an open flat field). The back 9 was very cool though. It reminded me a lot of Monroe. I think more signs have been posted - after reading the earlier posts. I don't know if it's worth the drive from Cincy, but it has potential if they toughen up the first 9.
twilmans
Posted: Saturday, November 03, 2007 5:48:42 PM

Played this course a couple of times the past 2 weeks.....I enjoy it. Got some open holes where you can let it all hang out plus some tough wooded holes. I think everyone who has worked on it should be commended...GREAT JOB.
matthew_blakely
Posted: Tuesday, February 05, 2008 8:20:30 PM

How about A work Day @ turtlecreek on Sunday February 10th? Time Undecided at the moment. Biggest Chore, Removing Honeysuckle!!! Almost all the wooded holes have an excess amount of it.

Other tasks to deal with at a later date include leveling of the wooded tee-pads.

Please feel free to come out and help.

This is Posted in two places. Who/Where thread and this one.