Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Proposal for Monroe Parks Course Options
STEVO
Posted: Tuesday, April 03, 2007 10:35:45 AM

I figured you'd chime in on that one, horti-king.
DISCfunctional
Posted: Tuesday, April 03, 2007 4:00:06 PM

Quote:
STEVO - 4/3/2007 10:31 AM

Yeah, I saw some of the teepads last weekend, they look great. People will be pleasantly surprised when the course finally opens.

There is actually some green stuff growing in the newly-cut fairways in the woods. Not sure it's grass, but it looks pretty cool anyway.

Hole 11- 300 ft. straight up hill, 15 ft. fairway, 15 ft. ceiling....NICE!

Thats the Hole I am personally sponsoring, anyone else sponsoring a sign?
I went to a meeting with the park board members yesterday and I believe the cost of sponsorship may go down in cost to about 200 bucks. They are going with a little more cost effective sign made of very heavy gauge steel with plexiglass cover. They also talked about installing another course in another brand new park they are building. The want us to design again and said that we may have to make it a super long layout because it is WIDE OPEN. They are really getting into this and have asked me to join the park board. Im not so sure I am park board material. What do you think gang.
Discgolfkid
Posted: Tuesday, April 03, 2007 4:09:20 PM

I would very much like to sponsor hole 19, but I'm not sure I can pony up the expenses.

As far as designing the wide open course, that could be very interesting. To prevent players with long arms dominating, lots of OB could be used. For example, we could string a line out to about 300 feet (or whatever you guys would consider the average throwers maximum distance), then curve it inward, then bump it back out again. This would allow big D players a risky long shot over the tightened fairway, or a lay up, and the average driver could either try to rip it over and lay up also.

P.S. So are the baskets in yet? If there's some sort of "opening day" type thing, I'd love to join you all for an awesome round at this amazing course.

discndat
Posted: Tuesday, April 03, 2007 6:26:54 PM

Yes, you are! Way to go. Keep up the good work.
Discgolfkid
Posted: Tuesday, April 03, 2007 6:32:35 PM

Indeed, you are definately park board material. Remember all of the meetings you went to in order to get this course installed? Think of it the same way, only you'll be on the other side.
DISCfunctional
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2007 5:39:37 PM

Can anyone show up this Wenesday at about 430 at monroe to help lay out a temp course?
I think I can scrounge up 6 or 7 baskets from the middletown boys, anyone else get some?
benburton_gmfdc
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2007 6:46:10 PM

im there wednesday, sorry about my lack of help in the last few months, i went without a computer forever and fell out of touch, the course looks fantastic so far, keep up the good work
Discgolfkid
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2007 6:57:52 PM

I have a basket, but I have to check to see if I can go. It's not a very good basket, but it'll work well enough if you're short.
DISCfunctional
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2007 7:02:33 PM

Quote:
benburton_gmfdc - 4/16/2007 8:46 PM

im there wednesday, sorry about my lack of help in the last few months, i went without a computer forever and fell out of touch, the course looks fantastic so far, keep up the good work

THERE U ARE BEN!!.........U BEEN HIDING OR WHAT!! GOOD TO SEE YOUR STILL KICKIN!! SEE WHO ELSE YOU CAN GET FOR US...IM SURE BOWERS AND YOUR BROTHER FRANK?
NEngle
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2007 8:21:16 PM

Ken, I have a skillshot but have to work until 5:30. I work just down the road at the corner of I-75 & Tylersville. You're welcome to come pick it up tomorrow or Wednesday.

If you'll make the start time 6, instead of 4:30, I'll bring it myself and try to get Kap-Gun's from him.
DISCfunctional
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2007 4:27:14 AM

Nick that would be ok.....there will be some prep time needed anyway...i would have to leave at 6:50 for a park board meeting and to pick up my son...
DISCfunctional
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2007 4:36:37 AM

Quote:
Discgolfkid - 4/16/2007 8:57 PM

I have a basket, but I have to check to see if I can go. It's not a very good basket, but it'll work well enough if you're short.

DO YOU THINK YOU CAN MAKE IT KID? YOU WERE THERE WHEN IT ALL STARTED.
bkaplan10
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2007 6:27:22 AM

Nengle, you can pick up my basket from me tonight. I have league tomorrow, or I would join you folks.
NEngle
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2007 9:42:46 AM

I know. Bring it to trivia.
Discgolfkid
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2007 1:43:53 PM

I'll be there.
DISCfunctional
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2007 6:43:53 PM

Weather is not looking good......If the it is bad weather dont bother
Discgolfkid
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2007 6:49:49 PM

What day will it be rescheduled to?
DISCfunctional
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2007 4:49:20 AM

I hope its not an issue.....I really need to bring some info to the meeting with me at 7 today...But if needed we will reschuedule for Thursday if Nick can make it then?
NEngle
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2007 12:57:41 PM

4pm and all is well. So long as it's not pouring at 5:30, I'll be there with 2 baskets.

Thursdays are tricky. I run bag tags at Mt Airy.
middletown
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2007 6:51:25 AM

I would commit to a weekly event, but I have promised many little girls I would coach one more team this fall!! Next year besides camps I will do something, especially focusing on NEW REC PLAYERS, doubles, Ript, something.

Anybody up to weds doubles at Monroe? Just an idea. I'm there for atleast July, but August starts soccer so?..!
DISCfunctional
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2007 6:51:00 PM

We will be doing some kind of weekly event there for sure bowers
STEVO
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2007 12:21:02 PM

Monroe crew:

Can you give us an update/timeline? I walked the grounds last Thursday, seems like almost all of the teepads are poured, and the fairways are "mostly" cleared.

Hole 10 might be a problem. There were a ga-jillion little leaguers there that day, I don't think it would be wise to allow drives to be swung out over the parking lot (full of cars and people). But if you put a mando in, there's not really a fairway to speak of (trees scattered throughout).
DISCfunctional
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2007 7:13:15 PM

The only deadline they have given me is EVERYTHING COMPLETE by 6/20
As far as hole 10 he are hoping with a smart pin placement to eliminate that route
berto
Posted: Monday, May 21, 2007 1:24:15 AM

ken, are any baskets in place yet? I know the question has been asked, and not to pester you about it but, I would love to head up there and check it out......... I also have a little free time this week, if you are still putting time in I would be glad to lend a little brute force..... Demolition is my forte'.................
seriously though I just checked out turtle creek sunday and I am impressed... It has a few issues, I can see how you might get confussed as to which way to go in the woods but, all could be fixed...... Looks like I am going to have to get up north more often........

Kudos to mike, dan, ken, paul, and anyone else who has put the time in to make this possable... I am glad to see a city take to disc golf and ensure further growth of this sport in our area.... Now if we could get west chester on board and get them to embrace the idea the way monroe has we would be set....

Also am I the only one who thinks winton needs a world class course to compliment the original? Imagine the original and a monster side by side............ I know ........ But I am a dreamer......... so go ahead acuse me of dreaming..... but dream big, cause look how well it worked in monroe......
bobherb
Posted: Monday, May 21, 2007 10:21:58 AM

Another course at Winton would be great.
Write a letter Berto.
Get a map, suggest a location in the park, remind them how crowded/popular the current course is, tell them you have an army of volunteers, and perhaps you can convince them to consider it.
If enough pebbles hit the glass it will eventually shatter.