Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Proposal for Monroe Parks Course Options
DISCfunctional
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2007 5:05:10 AM

Well I walked course yesterday and we have had some trees blowed over and one has completly covered hole 23 teepad. Im not sure but there are other trees i hope will pop back up because they are not broke (WILL THEY NICK?) I was told first 9 tee signs would be up in a week or so. Hopefully baskets will be going in early JUNE.

Can we get a crew together and have a clean up day there real soon gang! Maybe after Oxford Challange? Open for suggestions.
STEVO
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2007 7:39:26 AM

BASKETS ARE IN! Monroe now has 24 concrete tee pads, 24 baskets, and some tee signs. I'm going to check it out this afternoon, will report back later. What little I saw last night (a few holes) looks really good! :stickdance
frizgolf
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2007 9:29:28 AM

I just may have to amble up there today.
DISCfunctional
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2007 10:44:58 AM

WE ARE BREAKING THE COURSE IN TOMMARROW (SUNDAY) TEE-OFF 630PM
I WANT TO DO A RATINGS WINNER TAKE ALL !!!!!!!
PDGA RATING
MAYBE SOMETHING LIKE
800-900 ONE CLASS
900-950 ANOTHER
950+ AND UP?
SOMETHING LIKE 5 BUCKS A HEAD OR IF YOU HAVE NO MONEY. PLAY AS REC?
STEVO
Posted: Saturday, June 02, 2007 11:53:26 AM

Russ, don't amble, it's bad for your posture. :shame

We'll be up there about 3:30-4:00 today.
NEngle
Posted: Monday, June 04, 2007 7:19:17 AM

This is one mean little course. Don't let the distances fool you. Kudos to Ken, Dan, Mike et all.
ccs
Posted: Monday, June 04, 2007 8:39:58 AM

I agree. Nice course layout that utilizes the elevation changes, creek and trees. Thanks to Ken and others who have been putting in a lot of time up there. Hey Ken let me know when you are going to do some work on the course and I'll try to meet you.

Two nice courses about 15 minutes apart. Great job!

Chris
STEVO
Posted: Monday, June 04, 2007 12:14:21 PM

We played this course Saturday, and although it is still a little rough (a few branches here and there, and a lot of cut-down branches still on the ground), it is very playable now and will be even more so by the time next month's Course Challenge rolls around.

The Monroe crew have a lot of sweat equity put into this course (I pitched in a half dozen hours myself, so I know how hard they worked), and the parks guys have done a professional job laying the teepads and carving out fairways (not too tight either, for the most part), through a very dense stretch of woods.

The one key to playing this course (and this poster's one complaint, I guess), is take every single piece of understable plastic out of your bag, and leave it at home. It will make your bag a little lighter, and you will absolutely not need any of it for the 24 hole layout. There is not a single hole where a significant anhyzer shot is required.

....unless, of course, you happen to be left handed. frown

The slope of a majority of the holes only serves to accentuate this imbalance. And yes, I brought this up while we were cutting some of the holes. I admit I was a late-comer to the actual design, but I thought my suggestions at the time had made a tiny bit of headway.

And don't give me any of that guff about most golfers being righties, I heard that, too, when I was helping, and I already live in that world. I just figured most people would enjoy the challenge of a good mix of hyzers, straight shots, AND anhyzers.

Enough ranting.... cry

Side note- Nick's post above is correct, the course plays tougher than the hole distances would indicate. 260 feet through the woods can be a looong way.
bobherb
Posted: Monday, June 04, 2007 1:43:42 PM

Sounds like a pretty decent course, Stevo and other posters.
Idlewild has some tough 240' holes too - #7 and #17 - and they are both "lefty" friendly!!!
When we were designing the course, we consciously made sure we had a balance between righty and lefty biased holes - and that they were as challenging as possible, of course! :smile
Craig
Posted: Monday, June 04, 2007 3:41:12 PM

I think #17 at idlewild is actually righty favorite, but almost straight. More room for the slight flip shot. Similar to how I'd say #3 at Mt.Airy is a Lefty hole. But none the less #17 is an easier hole even though I never get it, ecspecially when it counts.

And as long as the Monroe is on the shorter side I wouldn't mind. I have more cofidence in myself, hitting small gaps with my sidearm. I get to keep my:eye on the target.
Craig
Posted: Monday, June 04, 2007 3:48:45 PM

I actually get to play one of the CCS events this year. See ya in Monroe
NEngle
Posted: Monday, June 04, 2007 4:00:52 PM

That's going to be a fun weekend. Course Challenge on Saturday, Doubles on Sunday...oh, and I turn 30 that Friday.
matthew_blakely
Posted: Monday, June 04, 2007 4:54:03 PM

Law & Blakely! Bring it.
DISCfunctional
Posted: Monday, June 04, 2007 8:32:51 PM

I gotta say I agree with you Steve. Its a righty world we live in. (NOT AT TURTLECREEK ITS ALL LEFTY)

The Monroe course has at best has 2 lefty holes. (5 and 9kinda....75% of the holes are straight so who do they favor? ). However I also gotta say I dont think the TREES care which hand it comes from when Its smacks them down, so I feel its not too bias.

I hope you still come out cause I need some tips. I swear I am getting worst the more I play.

I will be needing some help soon to get some clean up done there.... (WHO HAS A WORK TRUCK TO HAUL STUFF PEOPLE HAVE DISCARDED IN THE WOODS).

Anyone have a chipper/mulcher (larger model)

JUNE 12 TUESDAY 6 OCLOCK WILL BE THE CLEAN UP MONROE PARK DAY IF YOU CAN MAKE IT.
THE BOY/CUB SCOUTS AND MYSELF WILL BE OUT THERE BUILDING A BRIDGE FOR HOLE 19

berto
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 12:18:15 AM

just played this course for the first time monday and I got to say that this is a pretty cool course..... Plus it has plenty of room to improve on an already fun and playable course..... That is to say that as it gets more play and a little mulch, that this will be the nicest place to play in this area..... Along with turtlecreeck... this area is definantly coming up...... glad to see quality new courses being put in!!!!!!! If you haven't made it out to these courses yet, then get out there.... I definantly think it's worth the drive.........
NEngle
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 6:34:20 AM

Here's what Holly Williams had to say about Monroe on the Dayton boards:

"Just got an opportunity to play the new course today, and I must say it was not what I expected. I was pleasantly surprised to play a very challenging course that was well thought out and professional caliber! The first five or six holes are short and tight but then the course turns into tight tunnel after tight tunnel. The course is tough for a lefty or righty but also very fair. The course has very defined fairways and putting greens. I think if you get a chance to get down to Monroe take the opportunity, it is well worth the short drive from Dayton."
DISCfunctional
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2007 4:47:28 AM

Quote:
DISCfunctional - 6/4/2007 10:32 PM

I gotta say I agree with you Steve. Its a righty world we live in. (NOT AT TURTLECREEK ITS ALL LEFTY)

The Monroe course has at best has 2 lefty holes. (5 and 9kinda....75% of the holes are straight so who do they favor? ). However I also gotta say I dont think the TREES care which hand it comes from when Its smacks them down, so I feel its not too bias.

I hope you still come out cause I need some tips. I swear I am getting worst the more I play.

I will be needing some help soon to get some clean up done there.... (WHO HAS A WORK TRUCK TO HAUL STUFF PEOPLE HAVE DISCARDED IN THE WOODS).

JUNE 12 TUESDAY 6 OCLOCK WILL BE THE CLEAN UP MONROE PARK DAY IF YOU CAN MAKE IT.

Joe Rott
Posted: Friday, June 08, 2007 6:41:15 PM

Wow. There should be a sign that says "casual beware! Not for the faint of heart!" The woods keep coming and coming.....After around hole 13 I thought a dinosaur would wonder around the next bend.

This is tighter & shorter than idlewild, but I shot around the same as playing long tees/baskets. Took almost 2 hours.

There are some birdie holes..... but more boggie holes. Hole 10...where is the fairway? Holes 21 to 24.... need to get those in two. Liked the last two the best.
DISCfunctional
Posted: Sunday, June 10, 2007 7:16:30 AM

Quote:
DISCfunctional - 6/7/2007 6:47 AM

Quote:
DISCfunctional - 6/4/2007 10:32 PM

M_Boland
Posted: Sunday, June 10, 2007 7:22:24 AM

6 in the evening I assume?
DISCfunctional
Posted: Sunday, June 10, 2007 10:20:38 AM

Quote:
M_Boland - 6/10/2007 9:22 AM

6 in the evening I assume?

YES SIR.... FOOD AND DRINKS ARE SUPPLIED!!! HOT DOGS AND SODAS
M_Boland
Posted: Sunday, June 10, 2007 3:20:20 PM

can't say for sure I will be there, but if I can make it, could I bring some pruners for the honeysuckle.
DISCfunctional
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2007 4:42:49 AM

Bring the chainsaw!!!
M_Boland
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2007 6:29:54 AM

word
DISCfunctional
Posted: Monday, June 11, 2007 5:51:19 PM

Rumor has it that the Middletown Journal (local newspaper) is coming out to the monroe park and do a little story on cub scouts building a bridge and maybe if we can get enough to show tommarrow the cincinnati disc golf club doing a clean up monroe park day.