Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Discraft Discs Options
Discgolfkid
Posted: Tuesday, November 21, 2006 8:06:12 PM

I am completely unfamiliar with Discraft's discs, so I'm here to ask a little advice. I'd like to know how the ESP Avenger flies. I've looked at reviews that say that it can be anhyzered a little bit and then it flattens back out into a hyzer and I'd like to know if that's true. I was also looking at the ESP Pulse. Is it any good as a forehand driver? (how does it perform in a headwind too?)

Also, here's a question for Dan or anyone who might know, does Disc'n'dat stock 160g discs? I would really appreciate if someone could point me to a place that sells 160g discs.

Craig
Posted: Wednesday, November 22, 2006 6:10:06 AM

The Avenger I would say is comparable to a starfire. With the surge being close to a wraith. And the pulse is more over stable than all of them not sure But probably similar to a T-rex. The pulse is a good headwind driver and could work as a forehand driver if you don't over torque it.

And dan should have some 160 stuff. I know he's got a rack of 150's, don't think the 160 would be in with them though. Probably have to stop over there, sure you'd find what ya want.
Kool Keith
Posted: Wednesday, November 22, 2006 6:50:10 AM

The ESP Avenger, in my experience, is one of the most OVERSTABLE discs out there. It doesn't take anny very well, as in, it's not going right.

My experience is limited to max weight, first run ESP Avengers... but they are not for the weak of heart (or shoulder).

If I'd compare them to anything that Innova makes, it would be like a longer Monster, or a Gateway E-Spirit. LONG, FAST, and LEFT.

What spot are you trying to fill in your bag? Long, LEFT or longish, with dependable fade. If it's the latter, I know where you can get some SWEET 11x Eagles in the 160's that are actually made of CE (yes, real taffy CE) for the price of regular champion (Less than $15 a disc).

Hit the ol' inbox if you are interested. I'd not rather interrupt a transaction with one of NKY's own DG retailers... if you catch my drift.
discndat
Posted: Wednesday, November 22, 2006 7:39:15 AM

We do have some 160's in some discs, it just depends on what ones you're looking for. Most of the time they are in the 165-169g range but sometimes you get some in the lower 60's. You can always call us or e-mail us and we can look at what we have and tell you the weights we have or if we can special order it for you.

Also, I have no problem with anyone making any kind of deals for discs. That's the nice thing about disc golf - one man'/woman's worthless disc is another one's $$ disc. Go for it. Those were some pretty sweet Eagles you are talking about. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. Oh, by the way, I'll try to post on another thread but I do have the Icebowl Krazy Series schedule finalized - I had a few problems with other tourneys already scheduled but looking ok now.  

Discgolfkid
Posted: Wednesday, November 22, 2006 10:01:41 AM

I might look into that deal, Keith. I have a 169 champ orc that I can turn, it just doesn't fade back on a consistent basis. If the CE Eagle has consistent fade back than I may take the offer. I've got a nice 173 z wildcat that is extremely reliable with fade into moderate winds, but I got it at the Great Seal Scream and it couldn't stand up to the winds there. So I'm kind of looking for a forehand driver into heavy headwind because I don't have anything for that. Would you guys recommend a pulse or a starfire for that sort of thing?
Kool Keith
Posted: Wednesday, November 22, 2006 10:32:46 AM

If you are looking for a forehand disc, it's a little tricky because all forehands are NOT created equal.

I've got a weak forehand, so a Firebird is too much for me. However, it's usually the starting point for most forehand throwers. I use an ESP Predator, a little less stable, but still quite overstable, and will make that hard right turn for me. Now, I've got one of those Eagles and I can use it for a longer straight shot with some turn on the end. While it doesn't fade a ton for me, it will end up right. The thing that I like about it is the smaller rim, less sensitivity, and it's more STRAIGHT stable, longer.

If you are looking for a meat hook, go to the Firebird and start there. Fred Salaz and Mark Perica would be good guys to ask about forehands - they each some of the best forehands I've seen in the area. Fred uses Firebirds primarily, and I think Perica does as well, but I'm not totally sure.

Clear as mud? Excellent.
Discgolfkid
Posted: Wednesday, November 22, 2006 10:37:47 AM

Yeah I have a 167 DX eagle that flies in a straight line to the right, and then barely fades at the end. I haven't used it too much either, so I guess it just has to do with me getting used to it. I'll see about getting a firebird, I think they've just scared me for awhile because I don't like tons of fade or huge hyzer shots.

perica
Posted: Wednesday, November 22, 2006 10:41:58 AM

I forehand just about every driver I own. I think its better to learn with a not-so-overstable disc, as it will keep you honest though.

The key - think about the disc rolling off the end of your middle finger.

As for discraft, I throw a bunch of their stuff but I throw innova too. It's all good, neither of them pay me a dime.
Craig
Posted: Wednesday, November 22, 2006 4:45:15 PM

Something overstable is in my opion all you should need. The only times I throw a forehand is on a righty hole. If the hole is staight or a lefty hole I'll throw backhand. One of the only exceptions is throwing forehand so I can use my body lenght to lean out of the **it.

But I would have to agree with Mark though, if you can learn to get a stable or even under stable disc to hyzer out how you like it, you'll probably get a little more D. Just don't hurt your back or start the bad habit of leaning over too far trying to put that hyzer angle on the disc out of you hand.
matthew_blakely
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2007 9:56:56 AM

ESP Surge

I believe this to be the most consistent distance disc I have ever thrown. Last Night I think I threw my furthest shot ever on 18 at harbin. I was not going for pure Distance, but was trying to work and keep it on line with the basket. I had a slightly favorable left to right tail wind and threw it approximately 35 feet directly behind the basket. I've had great success and consitency with this disc as well as a good amount of durability. If you have not tried one I would suggest doing so because it is a good disc.

The Flex plastic is a little more stable and since it is, it is not quite as good a distance disc. The Z should be pretty good to but I have only thrown one a couple times.
Discgolfkid
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2007 11:58:38 AM

Thanks for all of the input; I have a star firebird and it works very well in headwinds (it's never flipped over yet. ever.) I use the starfire into a headwind when I think the firebird is too much, so everything's working out for me well.
bobherb
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2007 10:06:33 AM

Matt,
Did you make that right to left headwind come backer?

P.S. Your writing is much improved!
matthew_blakely
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2007 12:24:12 PM

No!!!! It was dead center right over the top of the basket. Putting is a problem right now, I putted bad in BG too. I'm trying to work on it a little when I get time. When that is I don't know.