Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Turtlecreek Development Options
DanH
Posted: Monday, December 11, 2006 6:35:55 PM

I've posted a little web gallery of the new holes at Turtlecreek. As of now, the work crew still has a little bit of work to do in cleaning up. But all the new fairways are cleared, so you can see what the holes will look like. There are still 8 original holes in the open field, but now we'll have 10 in the woods as well. Hole 7 will be converted to a woods hole. Turtlecreek Web Gallery Overview Image Enjoy.
Discgolfkid
Posted: Monday, December 11, 2006 7:11:37 PM

Wow those holes look great. They definately add some depth to the course, and I'm sure all of the casual players who go there will really like the addition. This, in addition with the trees that were planted on the first few holes, are really improving this course since it was put in.

Great work, guys! I can't wait to play the new Turtlecreek
chief32
Posted: Monday, December 11, 2006 7:17:19 PM

I'll be ordering the baskets in a couple weeks. The twp. clerk doesn't want the bill to come at the end of the year when she's trying to close out the books. Thanks to Turtlecreek Road Crew, Mike, and Dan for all their work to make this addition happen so quickly.
DanH
Posted: Monday, December 11, 2006 7:39:22 PM

I edited my post to include a link to an overview image of the course. This was created by taking GPS waypoints of all the tees/pins, then importing them into Google Earth, taking a screenshot, and then some photoshop work by Mike Kemner.

Turned out pretty cool, but there have been some slight adjustments since that was made. To give you an idea of scale, hole 10 is about 400 ft. So there are some fairly long, tight holes back there. It will be challenging for anyone I think.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Monday, December 11, 2006 7:53:21 PM

Looks great. One thing I would strongly recommend. Do NOT put in the baskets until tee pads and all major work is done. You will lose most of your work force and incentive to get work completed.
Congrats fellows.
mike_kemner
Posted: Monday, December 11, 2006 9:03:53 PM

The light blue line that is a half circle through the woods was an existing walking trail. The royal blue line is a small creek that goes through hole 12. The creek on 12 is small but we will have to build a small wall to support the two bridges we will need. The wall doesn't have to be much longer than 6 to 8 feet on both sides and 1 or 2 feet deep. We were considering either railroad ties or something similar to the core walls at Idlewild. Fred if you don't mind me asking where did you get the concrete cylinders?
Fred Salaz
Posted: Tuesday, December 12, 2006 11:31:32 AM

You'll have to ask Keith, it's his buddy that got them for us.
mikejenkins1
Posted: Wednesday, December 20, 2006 10:33:00 AM

mikejenkins1
Posted: Wednesday, December 20, 2006 10:37:02 AM

So where are we in the upgrade to 18 holes? Will the course be available to use again in the Spring?
chief32
Posted: Wednesday, December 20, 2006 10:58:40 AM

The new holes have been cleared and in the process of doing final touch clean-up. We have a couple of bridges to build but, can play when we get the baskets in. Does anyone know of something we can plant on the fairways for this winter so they aren't so muddy ie: winter rye ? We plan on planting some type of shade grass in the spring.
bobherb
Posted: Wednesday, December 20, 2006 3:39:23 PM

Check out this link...

http://www.shadegrass.com/info/northern.html

There is no magic grass that grows thick in the Winter - you need to pull the baskets for a while in the Spring if you want to acheive a successful stand of grass.
bobherb
Posted: Wednesday, December 20, 2006 3:46:18 PM

chief32
Posted: Wednesday, December 20, 2006 4:37:12 PM

Thanks for the links. I hope to get the baskets in so we can ALL play the new holes this winter. I helped the road crew do some chipping this afternoon and it is looking nice. They want to get started on the bridges soon. The new holes will take some finesse and will be a great addition to the existing open holes. Thanks again to Dan H and Mike K for all their time and input.
RBFaul
Posted: Wednesday, February 07, 2007 4:06:23 PM

How's the development of the new holes coming along since December?
chief32
Posted: Wednesday, February 07, 2007 6:27:13 PM

Everything is coming along fine. The bridges are in, the front 6x6's for the tee boxes are in, and most all of the clean-up is done. The baskets were delivered yesterday. As soon as the weather breaks and Dan H and Mike K are sure of the placement, they will be installed. There is still a little clean-up to do but, it's all minor. Wood chips still need to be spread in the tee boxes. Was waiting for the ground to freeze to get equip. in. It will defintely be ready for early spring play. Still not sure of what to do for the fairways, as far as grass seed or whatever, since they are all in the woods. Any suggestions would be accepted. Next big part will be tee signs.
bobherb
Posted: Thursday, February 08, 2007 10:38:10 AM

Here is a suggestion which you have solicited:

Do not put the baskets in before you have established grass in your fairways.
If the weather breaks and you can sow seed in March, it will grow nice, without foot traffic, and be ready for play in June.
This could be one of the best moves you make for the long term beauty "and" playability (especially during potentially muddy occasions) of the course.

If you put the baskets in too soon you will have many places where the grass will never take hold and always be muddy during even light rains. A good stand of grass is always more desirable, more beautiful, and easier to maintain than mulched fairways.
Between now and June you could tweak the course with less temptation to play.
Idlewild took 3 years to open. I argued with Fred but he was right to wait until the tee pads and other aspects of Idlewild were finished before we installed the baskets.
Be patient.
RBFaul
Posted: Thursday, February 08, 2007 12:07:48 PM

I would also add to Bob's sentiment about waiting and use that time to just observe where water goes/flows after a rain - if you've got areas that get too swampy, it'll help you determine where to dig out some small trenches and fill with gravel to help with drainage (granted, if it's all flat land like the original 9 are, that might not be real easy to do).
middletown
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2007 8:02:40 AM

As far as grass goes my good men, I read somewhere on here, no I can't find it, of how much = mud. This is very true, Winton ex. Some places I think would have supported grass better before mulch, but here's a good tip from a friend of mine who works trails in State Parks. ( I was quite the back packer before fatherhood and disc golf) Put styrofoam peices or gravel w/ mulch. Grow grass where it will, all you can do is try. Then where grass is no able to grow, put in drainage trenches and extra gravel etc. I still say Idlewild's caretakers have to be the knowledge gurus on this subject. I would take their word above any, even my buddies!!
bobherb
Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2007 9:30:42 AM

Idlewild is a bit different from most other courses. Grass was never sown - the existing seeds were given a bit of light by our clearing of fairways and then, foot traffic was not so great as to injure the young, new growth of grass and broadleaf ground cover. Every course will have different conditions for grass to grow in their wooded fairways.

If you build it (open fairways)... they (grass blades) will come...
gobblin
Posted: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 10:59:54 AM

Bobby of herbs I do applaud the efforts and as such deemed a kudos. Very true it is Idlewild is that of untrue nature and sown seeds is a must per say. I do miss the days when the grass would grow with little of for that matter no nurture. But those days are gone and we must pitch in. In due time the brilliant infantile Turtle Creek will show it's chubby little muscles indeed and blossom into that of Idlewild status. But or now...it is not worthy of my feet! True I have lost many a disc, yes even with safer more controlled hurls but the grass should be manicured as other coarses set standards. Concerned here! Great to be back and with that have not talked with Bobby of herbs and have not heard from Freddie Salsa?? This is the year to pitch in and even up said coarse quality. I'll appear in due time. Hush but be heard..ha! Crazy talkin fools. Be back with ya got to run and get a new watch battery. As always....let those sweet babies soar! I'm out!
DanH
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2007 6:43:31 AM

wtf
discndat
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2007 8:08:47 AM

It's fun Dan!
STEVO
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2007 8:50:49 AM

Dan H, that post above is the legendary "Concerned" from years past. Just roll with it, and it can be as entertaining trying to figure out who he is (many have speculated that he is one of us!) as it is trying to decipher what he says....sort of a twisted poetry, IMO.
gobblin
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2007 10:51:29 AM

Stevo nice to have you ride in for help and hello indeed. Hurricane Dan I presume yes back I am and we havn't talked. The development is you see underway but tasks are left and are o'plenty! Several local coarses are in need of honey suckle removal or slashing may be used and the like techniques. Concerned here! Upon return the name was taken oh imposters per say or indeed. Gobblin has been donned and yes I did laugh, ha! Idle Wild must not be forgotten and yes Gulley is not intact. Philly Cheese must be a hidin ha miss him much. Like a zebra dragon he must be gone....yes hobbitts do run! Tree removal would be suggested at some said coarses but sores from the past are burning and tourney time is near and yes. Have to run, buying a new bike chain. As always... let those sweet babies soar! I'm out!
NEngle
Posted: Thursday, June 07, 2007 11:34:48 AM

Concerned knew how to spell course.