Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

2007 Course Challenge Series Options
bkaplan10
Posted: Thursday, December 28, 2006 2:32:21 PM

As it will be time for the 2007 Mt. Airy course challenge before we know it, I thought I'd start up a new thread for the 2007 Series. 

Nick, did you get TD's for the course challenges at the last 2006 meeting?  Do you still need volunteers?  I'll TD Oxford again, for sure.

NEngle
Posted: Monday, February 19, 2007 9:09:58 PM

2007 GCFDA COURSE CHALLENGE SERIES*

3/24 MT. AIRY

4/21 'BIG' BOONE

5/26 'BIG OX'

6/16 BURNETT

7/7 MONROE**

8/4 HARBIN

9/15 IDLEWILD

10/13 AJ JOLLY

11/3 BANKLICK

*$100 ADDED TO OPEN PURSE AT EACH COURSE CHALLENGE

**NEW COURSE!!!

NEngle
Posted: Tuesday, February 20, 2007 10:58:05 AM

Once again we will not charge non-member fees for the Novice Men & Am Women divisions!

The Open payout has been changed from 33% to 40% of entrants payed. 

$100 added to the Open purse at each Course Challenge.  We willl be holding a raffle for a $779 grill.  Tickets will be $10 each, 200 available.  Drawing held 4/21 at the Big Boone Course Challenge.  Tickets will be available starting Sunday, 2/25.  Anyone who would like to help sell the tickets can contact me.

Thanks to everyone who volunteered to help run a CC.  We still need a few more people.  Here's the list as it stands right now:

Mt Airy - Dumont & Clore & Jones

Boone - Bayless & Eades

Oxford - kuhns & Jones

Burnett - Kap-Gun & Perica

Monroe - Kap-Gun, Donathon, Hollingshead, Kemner

Harbin - Engle, Buress, Discgolfkid

Idlewild - Salaz & The Idlewild Adopt a Holees

Jolly - Mrs. Shooner & crew

Banklick - Bayless & Eades

bobherb
Posted: Tuesday, February 20, 2007 2:24:24 PM

I will help stake off USDGC style O.B. on "EVERY" hole!!!"

Idlewild plays too "easy" otherwise... :smile

Muhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (With bassy reverb).
NEngle
Posted: Wednesday, February 21, 2007 6:32:56 PM

Here's a flyer for the 2007 CCS.  Print one off and put it on your fridge.  Print another off & put it up at your local course. 
Kool Keith
Posted: Thursday, February 22, 2007 8:29:16 AM

Holy Carp!!!!

Lou, you are a genius!!!!

I never thought about it before... but that is EXACTLY the process!

At the March CCS Event, I would almost be certain that club will not have the 52-60 raffle tickets SOLD, cash in hand to recoup the costs that the GCFDA is paying for the grill. And, quite possibly, we may not be hitting that mark by the April CCS either.

So, if the club doesn't sell enough tix by the Airy CCS, are we still going to fatten the purse for the Airy CCS winner? Are we going to bank on future sales (I sure as heck hope not)?

I hope that Blakely and Cox and Pete sell the heck out of those tickets to all the AMs at the Airy CCS, otherwise they are just going to be playing for each others money (as usual).

Nick, have you decided a methodology to how you plan to distribute and collect the money on these raffle tix? What if a club member asks for 25 tix, sells them, but never gives you the cash? What if one of those 25 tix he sold and collected upon was the winner? Are you going to have a plan in place to take care of that, or are you going to make people pre-pay the $10 for each ticket they intend to sell?

I thought it was a curious idea putting out our clubs money for something with this much risk in it. I hope this can work, but I'm really regretting that we didn't ask these types of questions and work up these types of outcomes before the 8 people that could hear the proposition voted on it.
NEngle
Posted: Thursday, February 22, 2007 4:40:28 PM

Dan, YES! There will be tickets available this Sunday at Highland Hills.

Bob, you're right. There are several people who believe in this. I don't intend to make everyone who wants to help sell them give me money up front, but I asure you I will stay on top of things.

Also, for the record, the vote to have this raffle was 17 for, 4 against. I find it hard to believe that more than half of the peole who voted didn't know what they were doing.
Kool Keith
Posted: Thursday, February 22, 2007 6:16:57 PM

I want it to work.

I just have lots of questions that I didn't think to ask before the vote. When will the drawing be? The club will be paid back IN FULL before any "bonus money" is given away at the CCS tourneys, right?

Nick, if you don't have an envelope full of cash or a check to give to the club at the Airy CCS tourney, you are not going to present any added cash to the open division, correct?
NEngle
Posted: Thursday, February 22, 2007 8:52:28 PM

Keith, it was said at the meeting that we (the club) get our money back before any cash is added to the CCS. The date of the drawing is 4/21/07. Now that I think of it, I didn't mention that, but it was on the sample ticket I passed around the table. I've never hid that. Your posts on this thread have been negative and confrontational. Your questions have been accusatory. You could have e-mailed me directly, rather than putting this in a public forum to try and make me look bad.
Kool Keith
Posted: Thursday, February 22, 2007 9:44:39 PM

Nick, nothing I've said is to make you look bad. I told you that I thought it was a great, creative idea - and one that I think is particularly selfless - I know you are playing Open this year, so to some it may look self-serving, but I think we both know you won't be cashing every tourney against Open players.

It is a new, fresh idea and I think that if it is implemented well could be a great. My concern was just the timing of the whole thing and the use of the GCFDA funds. If you would have been running this whole thing with your own cash out on the line for this grill, I would have personally paid to have an award made up for you at the end of the year for your initiative.

I think you can understand that some may be concerned when you are taking over $500 of GCFDA money to basically use to pay for a lottery ticket, even though you promise to give your any winnings away as a gift.

I hope it works - I really do. Maybe even I can get a piece of that cash later in the year.
PaulDmt
Posted: Friday, February 23, 2007 4:15:15 AM

Nick
Thank you for trying something new.
Thank you for going through the effort to get this grill from your work.
Thank you for organizing this.
Thank you for trying to come up with a way to draw people to the open field which people have complained has such a small field.
Thank you for trying to do something positive for our area.

There is undoubtedly risk in this. To gain, sometimes you have to take a risk.

I voted for this. If I didn't believe the club would make it's money back, I wouldn't have.

Disclaimer: I cash in approximately one course challenge per year, usually in the last cash spot.
NEngle
Posted: Friday, February 23, 2007 6:02:10 AM

Thank YOU, Paul, for updating the CCS info page...including the new Open pay chart which includes $100 added.

Again, an Am sponsor announcement is just around to corner.

You can get the flyer up thread. Post it at your local course to get the word out!
NEngle
Posted: Friday, February 23, 2007 4:27:49 PM

Disc 'n Dat has donated five $10 gift certificates to each Course Challenge this year!!!  They will be used as CTP prizes for Ams.  Thanks a million to Dan & Disc 'n Dat!!!

Kool Keith
Posted: Friday, February 23, 2007 5:12:20 PM

Sweet! Thanks Disc N Dat!

Will Disc N Dat have merchandise on site at the CCS, or will this be an in-store/online thing?

If all this pans out, this could be a very rich CCS series this year that may approach or surpass a PDGA event! I've got my fingers crossed!
NEngle
Posted: Friday, February 23, 2007 7:31:51 PM

9 events. Non-sanctioned. A few overlaps. Go back a page for dates & a flyer. Take that flyer to Pride & post it somewhere. Oh, and we're adding $100 to the Open purse at each Course Challenge. Go to the "scores & information" page (off the main page of the website) to see the new Open pay chart. We've also got five $10 Disc 'n Dat gift certificates to be used as Am CTP's for each Course Challenge. Buy a raffle ticket.
Craig
Posted: Saturday, February 24, 2007 12:13:12 AM

Thanks Nick the sanctioned part was really all I was wondering about. Figured I get the rest of the scoop too. Hope the grill thingy works out, I'll get a ticket or two when I see ya. Glad the AMs are getting sometin too.

I'd take one to pride but there's nowhere to put it. We (Me and McGue)had somethin attached to ones tee sign to hold info. But it got stolen or thrown in the lake or whatever.

Was the issue of being able to drop more than 2 events addressed? Nick, Not the weekend of the world, but the other one I'd told you I'd help ya. I could also help TD for that course challenge.
NEngle
Posted: Sunday, February 25, 2007 3:56:10 PM

28 tickets sold on the first day they were available. That's more than I expected. You can get them from Blakely, Dan Bayless, or myself.
NEngle
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2007 9:07:44 AM

Freddie, the impression I got from Dan was that he wanted to do something for the Ams since the Open had all that added cash this year. I think it's really cool of him. I never got the feeling that he would have merch for sale on site, but he is donating $450 to the series & that's something to take into consideration when you weigh weather or not Disc 'n Dat selling discs at Course Challenges would be taking from the club.
Rob J
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2007 9:25:25 AM

it seems to me the club shouldn't limit itself as long as the membership goes along with how it chooses to operate. was there a vote? Also, if one disc vendor has the opportunity to use the club as a vehicle for moving merchandise -- shouldn't all vendors be given the same opportunity to find a mutually beneficial way to help the club? how are sales of Club inventory going and has anyone considered compiling and posting a list so we the membership can see if we want to purchase some stuff and help out the club?
Fred Salaz
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2007 9:53:10 AM

Nick, that is very generous of Dan to donate the gift certificates. I'd like to be able to match it but I can't see donating my time to working on the courses and donating merchandise to the club as well. How about if we vote on letting Dan sell his merchandise on the course challenges that he runs and letting me sell merchandise on the tournament that I will run at Idlewild. That will give Dan a chance to recoup some of his money back. The club could sell at the other six course challenges. Dave will need some help from the rest of the club though. We could vote on it next meeting or just agree to it here.
bobherb
Posted: Monday, February 26, 2007 12:12:59 PM

Hey Nick,
The newcomer's guide to the Course Challenge Series was a good idea and decently written (Q.C.ed by spell and grammar checker too, I suspect).
This will be of great help to newbies.
Thanks.
NEngle
Posted: Wednesday, February 28, 2007 1:27:58 PM

Raffle tickets are now available at Disc 'n Dat & on their website too!

http://www.discndatonline.com/item.cfm?itemid=44994

Thanks to all who have already bought tickets & thanks to all who are selling them.  We've sold 38 tickets in the first 4 days.  Only 162 left.  Get you one today!

bobherb
Posted: Wednesday, February 28, 2007 3:00:58 PM

Quote:
NEngle - 2/28/2007 3:27 PM

Raffle tickets are now available at Disc 'n Dat & on their website too!

http://www.discndatonline.com/item.cfm?itemid=44994

Thanks to all who have already bought tickets & thanks to all who are selling them.  We've sold 38 tickets in the first 4 days.  Only 162 left.  Get you one today!

Get "you" one today!??? Come on Nick "Grammar" Engle I hold you to a higher standard... -As if you do not do enough! :band1 :smile
NEngle
Posted: Monday, March 05, 2007 7:13:03 PM

Team BGO will be offering lunch at Mt. Airy to raise money for the Disc 'n Dat Bluegrass Open. I think they said 2 hot dogs, a bag of chips, a cookie & a pop (soda for Dave Cox) for $5.
berto
Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2007 12:28:47 PM

Have we in the past ever tried getting the city beat or even the cicinnati enquirer to post the ccs scheduale in thier respective local sporting event pages. I am not sure that they are willing but this might generate added intrest. Just a thought. Also I might go ahead and post the scheduale on the craigs- list cicinnati community bulliten board, under activities. I don't know that this will draw anyone out or not but it couldn't hurt. Also I had a thought about maybe posting these ccs flyers at high schools. This must be done with permission, but at the high school I went to ( lakota west ) individuales could hang up flyers such as this on hallway bulliten boards located in the stair wells. I know that if I knew then that there was a disc club in my high school days, I would have been playing sooner. Lastly I also think that we could probably persuade the ameristops and other gas stations (near the courses) that sell discs to hang up the scheduale near the racks of discs. This could also include play it again sports who already pass out coarse maps.