Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

2007 Course Challenge Series Options
bkaplan10
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2007 1:11:48 PM

cripes kuhns! You can get a nice laptop from bestbuy or circuitcity for $700 now. Intel Core2Duo processor and 1gb of ram. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8538291&type=product&id=1188558584099. This is basically the laptop I bought 6 months ago, but, this has a faster processor. The dual core rules. I think you can get my gateway model for $500 or so now. You won't get that good a deal at a small computer company.
bkaplan10
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2007 1:13:05 PM

somehow, a . was added to that link. take the . off the end of the link before you hit go and it will bring up the page.
Liz
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2007 1:41:31 PM

If someone wants to spearhead this, it would be great. I also think we could go for more "sponsorship" opportunities of the CCS - i.e. selling spots on the scorecards for $, which would be considered advertising for an organization, or we could have other options like we do with the local tourneys and raise $$ that way, either way, someone will have to take the lead on it.....any takers? Kool Keith? :brow
BIGBOY
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2007 3:32:37 PM

Liz,

I would not be opposed to doing the raffle for the laptop but would like to hear from more club members. What do you think? Would you buy a raffle for a sweet laptop computer? Give me some feed back and I will have a laptop and some raffle tickets by the next club meeting. Quick question, would the club front the money for the laptop or would I need to.
BIGBOY
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2007 3:33:51 PM

We could even raffle off an IPOD. Those are pretty hip with the young crowd.
NEngle
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2007 3:50:54 PM

John, the club fronted the money for the grill. I think most people who want I-Pods already have them. A lap top would be sweet.
bkaplan10
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2007 4:45:52 PM

Wouldn't this have to be voted on by the club at the next club meeting? Plus, since laptops are basically "obsolete" a week after you buy one, the closer to the raffle you purchase the laptop the nicer the laptop will be.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Friday, November 09, 2007 9:57:54 AM

Why raise money for the division that does the least and complains the most?
The idea for the course challenges was to crown a city champion not to put money in one's pocket.
STEVO
Posted: Friday, November 09, 2007 3:12:38 PM

Tell 'em, Fred! :flamethrower
finnhawc
Posted: Friday, November 09, 2007 3:24:02 PM

The open division is full of people that once played AM. Take away incentives for AM's to move up and you kill the game with snadbagged AM divisions where the up-and-coming get discouraged because AM-for-lifers alawys seem to win every event. Sandbagging isn't a problem(relatively) here yet. Also,some complaints are actually constructive criticisms-some, are sad laments. My idea of pro was formed by folks that respected others and encouraged all to participate no matter what they had to offer.Does a Basket raffle work at all around here? :nuke
BIGBOY
Posted: Friday, November 09, 2007 3:53:55 PM

Fred...Fred...Fred...What are we to do with you. John is right. We are encouraging younger players to move up and develop there skills as a disc golfer. If we don't offer more in open division why would anyone want to play in the "elite" division. It has nothing to do with course work or complaining. On another note, I still vote that we turn 3 of the course challenges into PDGA C tier events but I won't beat a dead horse.

A basket raffle would work, John. But if you raffle off a basket you are only catering to disc golfers. If we raffle of an item that anyone could use or want we are open to selling more raffle tickets. When Nick put together the grill raffle we sold tickets to people that know nothing about disc golf and they don't really care they just want a chance to win a grill and in this case a computer.
NEngle
Posted: Friday, November 09, 2007 5:35:49 PM

Fred, we do it because that's how the liberals in America want things to work. We give our hard earned money to those who are too lazy to get off their ass & work for what they need. They complain when they see hard working Joes, like you & I, enjoying the fruits of our labor and want to know when we're going to give them some of our stuff. It's a sense of entitlement brought on by years of political codling combined with basic human nature (envy).

Buuuuuuuuutttttt really we did it because the Open division is OPEN TO ALL. I, as a Course Challenge Open player, worked very hard to raise that money for a dwindling division. I also take offense to the notion that Open division does the least. If not for Open players like Pete, Paul, Matthew, Mr. Shooner, & others the state of disc golf in this area would be in much worse shape.

Finn, we've tried basket raffles in the past with mixed results. It would be hard to raise $900 from a basket as well.
finnhawc
Posted: Friday, November 09, 2007 6:09:41 PM

Define liberal, please? And as long as I get mine forget-about-you. LOL.
2Timer
Posted: Friday, November 09, 2007 6:32:01 PM

Last I looked Fred, you played in the open division this year! Why is it if open players don't volunteer at Idlewild then they don't do anything. I have spent hours at Williamsburg working on that course. I have given numerus lessons to the locals at Williamsburg and I make a point to pick up atleast a bag of garbage a week at the Amelia course because there are no gargage cans. I'm not posting this to pump myself up, but these accusations towards the open players gets old fast!
Fred Salaz
Posted: Friday, November 09, 2007 8:36:16 PM

I just think we could all(open players) do more to set an example. The majority of the courses are trashed out. If we as open players show that we aren't too good to pick up a piece of trash then why shoudn't everyone do it. Dave thanks for doing your share.
Ben Shooner
Posted: Sunday, November 11, 2007 7:33:28 PM

Well, I'd like to consider myself a 'classic liberal' in that I believe that markets should have the leeway to govern themselves. The added cash motivated some capable masters to play open, and some un-capable advanced players to play open as well. Although I never benefitted personally-the thought is that to the best scores goes the most money...how does that NOT make sense?
2Timer
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2007 4:30:39 AM

Fred I do get your point. We all could do more and most open players are looked up to by others because of their skill level and supposed open status and our setting of positive examples helps the sport overall.
BIGBOY
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2007 2:21:55 PM

I believe that a lot of people give in there own special way. It is not always in the back braking labor department but in other ways. In my younger days I had the time to work and I did but nowadays it is tough to get out and work, but I still do on rare occasions. However, we need to make the open division the main division that everyone is working hard to get to and play in. Lets do it like they do in Europe and just have an Open division. Did I just say that...here it comes..
:flamethrower santa Toast him boys..
Liz
Posted: Tuesday, November 27, 2007 3:21:03 PM

Steve Mahl, I have your 3rd place Masters plaque - let me know how to get it to you - I work in Springdale.
STEVO
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2007 7:27:44 AM

Liz, hang on to it, I'm sure I'll see you on Jan. 1st, if not before then. PM me if you want to unload it sooner.

....Maybe we can raffle it off to raise money for the Open division :smile