Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

New Kentucky course information. Options
KevinB
Posted: Monday, January 08, 2007 10:38:16 PM

Here is some information on what might be considered for Lake Cumberland disc golf course. This is correspondence that I exchanged with J.T. Miller, the head of Kentucky State Parks.
Feel free to contact him, ask him about Lake Cumberland, thank him for his consideration, and tell him what a great place Big Bone Lick would be for a disc golf course.

Kevin,

We have not considered a disc golf course for Big Bone Lick S.P., but I will give it some thought. The only disc golf course we have today is at Jenny Wiley State Resort Park in Prestonsburg, KY. We have been very pleased with it. What you say about the use and cost are consistent with our experience. I am considering replacing a par-3 golf course at Lake Cumberland State Resort Park with a disc course.
We are participating in a workgroup, with UC/Cincinnati Museum, Boone County and NKU, which is studying various aspects of Big Bone Lick. I will raise this as a low-impact activity that would be consistent with the sensitive environment of that park.
Thank you for your interest in Big Bone Lick and in disc golf. I invite you and your friends to try out our challenging course in Prestonsburg. The scenery, wildlife and food are worth the trip all by themselves.

Regards,
J. T. (Jerry) Miller
JT.Miller@ky.gov
Commissioner - Kentucky Department of Parks
Office 502-564-8110 x153 Mobile: 502-229-4515
Experience the Unbridled Spirit of Kentucky at www.kentuckyunbridledspirit.com and www.parks.ky.gov

In reply to:

Mr. Miller,

My family moved to the Norhern Kentucky area from Chicago in the past year and we have been to Big Bone Lick State Park a few times to enjoy the outdoors, it is a lovely piece of land with much history. I was curious if a Disc Golf Course has ever been discussed or considered at Big Bone Lick State Park?
We live close to England-Idlewild park, which is in Boone County, and the Disc Golf Course there is lovely, as well as one of the most challenging courses in the country. I enjoy it so much that I have adopted Hole #2 and volunteer doing a lot of upkeep on the course. A few of the folks that I volunteer with and normally play disc golf with at Idlewild got in the discussion of what a great place Big Bone Lick would be for a disc golf course.
The cost of having a disc golf course installed is quite inexpensive for the amount of recreation it gives back to the community, as well as the players and tourist it could bring in to Big Bone Lick from the rest of the region and country, and once installed they don't require much more maintanence than the grounds would currently be receiving.
Again, I'm curious if this has ever been brought up or if this type of recreation would be considered at Big Bone Lick State Park?

Thank you,
Kevin B

Liz
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 8:41:17 AM

Hey Kevin, where exactly is Big Bone Lick? I know I've driven by it a million times, but I've never actually been the to park itself. Sounds like it could be another cinti-area course in the future.
STEVO
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 9:44:38 AM

Union, Kentucky. About 20-25 miles from downtown Cincy, not too far off I-71/75 near Verona.

I would say it's within the Greater Cincinnati orbit....
Rob J
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 1:51:25 PM

I live about 10 miles from it -- the best way for most is probably to take 71/75 South to the Mt. Zion / 536 exit, go west a few miles and then turn left (south) onto Hwy 42 when you get to it. then go a few miles south and you'll see a brown sign Big Bone Lick State Park when you get to 338 / Beaver Rd. Turn right (west) and go a mile or so and the park is on your left.
it would be pretty cool if a course was put in there. Thanks for advocating for one, Kevin B. !
Kool Keith
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 1:53:40 PM

You have killed that joke dead, Kevin.

Awesome letter by the way - this is a great example of how a simple, quick piece of correspondence can keep our sport from being marginalized by local, regional, and state governments.

perica
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 2:08:52 PM

I once new a girl that worked at Big Bone Lick --- insert joke here.
bobherb
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 2:48:41 PM

:) Ban that man! :)
Ben Shooner
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 3:38:01 PM

Man Mark-I never 'new' you to be such a great speller.
discnforfun
Posted: Tuesday, January 09, 2007 8:51:52 PM

There is an organization called "Friends of Big Bone Lick" that is "committed to conducting research and providing education related to Big Bone Lick State Park." Pat Lense, one of the members of the organizations Board of Trustees, works with me at Cincinnati State. A couple of years ago some of our multimedia and web design students worked with Pat to develop their website, http://www.friendsofbigbone.org/index.htm, and our audio/video students created the Quick Time videos for the site http://www.friendsofbigbone.org/index.htm. I had several conversations with Pat about disc golf when I was teaching the Intro to Disc Golf course in the Fall Term. He's a big sports fan, particulary soccer, and he was interested enough in my course that he asked if I would do some short, weekend workshops on the game. I'll talk to him this week about the proposal and get his support (at least I think I can) for the course. Given his relationship with the park he probably knows some people who might be influential in getting it done... ...and hey, they owe us a favor or two for developing all their promotional material.
Craig
Posted: Friday, March 30, 2007 12:44:57 PM

Anything new on this? Maybe H.B. Clark could help out, I'm pretty sure he designed their Jenny Wiley course. Maybe a word from him would make a big impression. Anybody got his #?
Lingo1976
Posted: Wednesday, June 06, 2007 9:43:42 AM

There is a nice park out in Taylor Mill called Middleton/Mills Park....... I was out there yesterday and a nice 18 holes wooded course could fit. I was wondering if anyone has thought about it.
Lingo1976
Posted: Thursday, September 13, 2007 4:17:37 PM

BIG BONE LICK...........I was down at big bone recently and was just wondering if anyone as some current news on the Disc Golf Course at Big Bone....

"KEEP ON DISCIN' IN A FREE WORLD"........... my new cd out in stores for the holidays..

J-Son
Lingo1976
Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2007 12:10:05 PM

Guess no one knows any new news on a course at Big Bone!!!! Oh well it would be a good place for a course........ We need a local course with camping available close by besides Winton oh and AJ