Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Gulley work has begun. Options
DanH
Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2007 5:36:24 AM

On the official work day, Sunday, providing the weather cooperates, we may rent a chipper for #16,#17. So disregard the "move dead wood away" from the list of things to do on #16,17. Can anyone recommend a good tool rental place? Brad in Loveland will probably be picking it up.
13ruce-137
Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2007 9:34:21 AM

Well since i seem to be immune to the chemical in poison ivy oak sumac AND i brought it up. i suppose i can do most of the picking up dead crap on 16 - 17. Chipper would make it easy work .. id even chip in on the cost if need be. Lemme know.

PS  just a thought on the carrier ending tread marks on hole 2 tee pad.  maybe someone with a truck could take some fill back there and flatten it out ? 

bkaplan10
Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2007 10:48:36 AM

"Can anyone recommend a good tool rental place?"

I've heard tell that Nick Engle knows a good place to get tools. Don't know if they have a wood chipper or not though.
NEngle
Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2007 12:05:16 PM

Vermeer BC600XL. Takes up to a 6" branch, requirers a 2" ball to tow. $110/day (24 hours).
DanH
Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2007 12:52:03 PM

Steve Flint gave me a call, and it looks like we may be able to borrow one from Turtlecreek Township for $0. If that doesn't work out, then Nick's equipment/cost looks the best by far. Thanks Nick.
chief32
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2007 5:09:19 AM

The chipper is a go for Sunday
middletown
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2007 7:58:09 AM

Father's Day treat!! My daughter is actually going to be w/ her mom in Chitown. I'll be more than likely there Sunday. Will anybody else? We do know that's Dad Day?!
matthew_blakely
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2007 9:02:56 AM

I plan on it, steve mahl in morning, jack fouts, zach nash, mike kemner & dan hollingshead, plus others will probably be out there. So come on out.
Lingo1976
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2007 8:54:03 PM

I took the 45 min drive up north to check out some new course (turtle creek, monroe, and gulley). All courses were great addiitions to the greater cincy disc golf world. I was at Gulley for a couple hours playin and takin some video. I was the only person there the whole time. You all need to get out and check it out. Be warned though.... watch out for the underbrush it will eat up your discs and legs. Oh and it helps to find discs if you take someone with you unlike me....

Remember always try to take a deuce!!!!!!!
J-son Kerl
chief32
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2007 6:17:03 AM

The tractor & chipper will be there @ 8:30 am if anyone is wanting to get started earlier. Being Father's Day, I need to be out of there early afternoon. Dan, what hand tools are needed? Bolt cutters for the wire fence? Anything else?
matthew_blakely
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2007 6:54:00 AM

I'll get there that early, I might go over there friday afternoon-evening to get some of brush piles together & scope out the course. Thanks again.

Sign up @ www.discgolfdata.com or when ever you see me. Certain models are going quick, Lots added prize and a good amount of cash too. Sign up!
ccs
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2007 7:34:49 AM

I was at Gulley yesterday and the parks ran the Bobcat down the faiways on 16 and 17. It looks really good. They made a path about 10' wide. The Middletown crew was getting rid of the sharp stuff behind the baskets on 2,3, and 4.
middletown
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2007 9:44:19 AM

Yeah, we didn't know what to do w/ the removed brush. It's in a pile in the corner of 4 fairway. Be out Friday to do some mowing and work on fence removal. Can move brush, where to? Where should fence scraps go? If anything I'll be out Sunday morn, we'll get her done then.
mike_kemner
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2007 3:05:01 PM

I went out there today and moved the pile of brush from behind hole 1. Also I pointed the signs in the right direction on about 10 of the holes. It was tough without a post hole digger. Anyone who is coming Sunday have a post hole digger?

STEVO
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2007 6:20:03 PM

I'll be out there early also, hopefully by 8:30. Will be working on the honeysuckle on the right side of hole 9, I have a tool to cut it down, but I'm also trying to get a machete of some kind.
13ruce-137
Posted: Friday, June 15, 2007 10:20:39 PM

I have a machete&nbsp;&nbsp; wouldn't it have been easier&nbsp; to just move the sign and not the whole post ? <br />
middletown
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2007 9:22:54 AM

How in the world do you move a sign w/o a post hole digger? My ghetto kids would thrash a sign that easy to move. YES I have a post hole digger, it may need sharpened, and as hard as the ground is out there, we'll need water I assume. Atleast it would be ALOT easier to dig in mud instead of rockhard earth.

I've noticed some brush piles "out of play" is that where we should throw brush? Can we chip it Sunday? See y'all then.
andersab
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2007 10:08:49 AM

I'll be there at 0830 as well! Great news, I don't have to get a chipper!

-ba
Discgolfkid
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2007 6:08:26 PM

Went out and played gulley; I really liked it. The gaps on several holes encourage you to be consistent with your shot (like 9's slight turnover gap.) Still a little rough around the edges (Bring on the cement teepads!) and losing a disc can be a nightmare (thorns here, there, and everywhere.) All in all the course's well-planned design heavily outweighs the fact that it's still a very new course. I imagine that by this time next year the course will have all of the amazing amenities to match this course's potential. I can't wait to use the Gulley Open next week as an excuse to go up and play the course again.

P.S. My forgiveness to the farmer whose plants are O.B. over the fence.
matthew_blakely
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2007 4:43:36 AM

I want to thank everyone for coming out. Let's see if I can Remember

Alex & Dan Hollingshead
Mike Kemner
Steve Flint and another guy for Turtlecreek Brought the chipper Thank you, Thank you, Thank you
Brad Anderson
Chris Bowers
Keith Dailey
Kevin Brasheer
Steve Mahl
Chad Harrod
Chad's Buddy?

SHowed up when done pretty much and enjoyed the spoils
Jim Farrera
Karen Farrell
Jack Fouts
Zach Nash
Jason Anderson
Josh and Nick From middletown

Thanks to everyone, The course is in real good shape. Hope to see everyone this weekend.

matthew_blakely
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2007 5:11:27 AM

I also want to thank the people that worked on the course on other days. CCS did a great Job on hole #6. Others did a good job as well all over the course. Are you playing this weekend Chris?
ccs
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2007 1:59:53 PM

I'm glad to help.
I don't know if I'll play Sunday. You know me I never play in anything. :dunce
LStephens
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2007 6:34:46 PM

I guess I'm 'Chads buddy'.

Matthew, I've played the Gulley the last 3 weekends. To say the least, the course has evolved over that time span. The work you guys did on 16 and 17 is really starting to look good. The raised basket on 12 is a nice touch. The removal of some old fencing and a ton of briars was greatly needed. The only thing I can really complain about is the tractor tire ruts in #2 tee box..but I should have just asked for a shovel and rake Sunday and cleaned it up mayself....thus I can't complain because I had the opportunity to do something about it and just forgot about it. I was saddened that I was cutting the honeysuckles and thick vines out of the right side of #4 basket. Now my only strength of having a nice forehand shot parked under the basket is negated by everyone throwing a putter into the tree line and putting for deuce....O well...I guess that's better than having people swallowed alive by the inhospitable jungle that was there.

Has the PDGA reviewed their ruling on me not being allowed to carry a machete during sanctioned play? :)
DanH
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2007 7:04:46 PM

I agree with you on #4 Lee. We are going to let some honeysuckle grow back on that right side, but we'll keep the thorns and vines down.

For anyone that wants to come to Gulley, I'll run a one time "Ace Fund" there this Tuesday Wednesday night. Ace money will roll over to the tourney's ace fund. We'll try to start at 6:30 PM.
STEVO
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2007 7:13:00 PM

Not sure how much you guys opened up #4, but if the basket was moved 5 or 10 feet out on the other side, the anhyzer (or hyzer) would be re-created....

Maybe I shouldn't say anything, I did ace that hole :smile