Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Gulley work has begun. Options
DanH
Posted: Monday, June 18, 2007 8:03:20 PM

True, that's another option. Originally, I was afraid of drives and putts on #4 getting into #5's fairway too much or else the pin would have been further back. But it may be worth putting an alternate sleeve in there and trying it out.

Other alternate pin ideas are:
#10, middle of the bowl.
#11, clear some woods, and push it back 50 ft.

matthew_blakely
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 5:28:20 AM

I think Nick planned on starting doubles this Wensday night at Monroe. That is at least what I got from the thread Wensday doubles @ Monroe under Informal Events. Do you still want to have an ace fund out @ gulley? I'm okay with this, if we are only going conflict this 1 time.

I can see few long pads too

finnhawc
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 7:08:41 AM

Yes, move #4 back 20 feet or so and #10 right to the edge of the bowl to bring the small cedars into play(and cliff putt potential). Great course, though, it has some cool shots. Matt, have you talked to any Columbus folks yet? We always support thier tourneys and this one isn't that far for them comparatively.
matthew_blakely
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 7:12:25 AM

JM Blakley Possible, Some Columbus Ams have signed up, jordan is a maybe, Gaige said ya a long time ago, No idea about the rest, I should find out at saturday.

discndat
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 8:05:24 AM

So Matt, is there a one-time Ace Fund at Gulley tonight? I've seen several different posts - can't make Wednesday but might be able to make tonight. Also, should be able to play Sunday.
STEVO
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 8:17:35 AM

Dan, do you mean down in the bowl on 10? I noticed that spot last Sunday, it could be a really fun placement....

Although the trees behind it could be used to "crash" into.
matthew_blakely
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 9:15:45 AM

Sounds good Dan, I was going to contact you here soon about printing the gift certificates up.

No Ace fund @ gulley tonight, Maybe tommorow Night. It's a fun course, you will enjoy when you get to play it.

Sooner or Later I will get to those bag straps!

Well hopefully see ya tonight Dan.

I think in the bowl would be better than another position on top of the ridge at hole #10.
finnhawc
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 10:28:55 AM

Alternate pins?-yeah that wouldn't make sense on 10 unless it was in the bowl.
Discgolfkid
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 12:07:25 PM

I missed a putt that rolled into the bowl behind the basket on 10 while I was practicing. I think perhaps it could be changed to make it even more challenging, but we must consider all of the options to truly ensure the best placement. Personally, that's too good of a green for us NOT to put the basket in the most challenging position.
Dan and Mike don't want to put it up on 6' x 6's? :bonkhead That would be too much, but that hole has the potential to have a very dynamic green.
discndat
Posted: Tuesday, June 19, 2007 1:32:20 PM

Yeah, Matt, I've still got the straps in my truck since last Monday's meeting. I'll get the Gift Certs printed up probably tomorrow or Thursday. It's not looking like I'll make it tonight. I thought I might, but not looking good now.
mike_kemner
Posted: Sunday, June 24, 2007 4:33:46 PM

WOW! I'm glad the tournament went so well. The field was a great turn out and the day looked a little dreary but the weather didn't give us too hard of a time. I just want to thank all that helped with getting the park in order. Steve F, Karen, Keven B, Keith D, Ben B, Chris B, Chris S, Chad, Lee, AdamJ (raised basket), Paul D, Brian K, Steve Mahl, Brad Anderson, Ken D, Gene(the Chipper), Pete C, John K. I know there were more but sorry I've forgotten all who showed up at the work parties. Also a big thanks to DanH, he convinced the parks to let us put a course there. Matt B also put in a serious amount of course work and organized the tournament. GREAT JOB all I mentioned and forgot to mention!
13ruce-137
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2007 9:40:23 AM

Here here .. great job folks.
mikejenkins1
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2007 6:21:01 PM

So is this course ready for play? Where is this course near (what major location)?
DanH
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2007 6:42:26 PM

It's been in the ground for over 2 months actually, but it's a lot nicer to play now than it was then. I wouldn't say it's close any major location really, unless you consider Morgan's Canoe or Ft. Ancient a major location.

Just put this address into your favorite online mapping site to get an idea of it's location:

2168 Middleboro Rd.
Clarksville, Ohio 45113
mikejenkins1
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2007 7:07:50 AM

Thanks for the input. I plan on trying out this course later this week.
mikejenkins1
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2007 8:57:43 AM

We went to Gulley Park this past weekend and had a great time. The holes are very well marked and it is a nice field/woods course. We are very curious about #12 however. Why is it 3 feet off the ground on a concrete/wood platform? I would say that #15 was my favorite hole. A very tricky around the tress hole. Very clean and fairly well groomed. Very easy to access as well.
OSU_Golfer
Posted: Monday, July 02, 2007 12:23:36 PM

The raised basket on #12 is there to give a little added challenge to the hole. Having to putt at a raised basket, with the opportunity to miss and blow by makes the shot that much more interesting.
baughman
Posted: Tuesday, July 03, 2007 1:32:59 PM

I am so happy there is finally a course out this way. 2 years ago I moved to blanchester and havent picked up a disk more then a few times since then do to no courses with in about 30 minutes. Might get my rusty chucking butt back out there. hehe.
DanH
Posted: Tuesday, July 03, 2007 3:15:58 PM

I'm so glad to hear there are people out that way that want to play disc golf. Getting traffic to the park is still one of my bigger concerns about Gulley.
bobherb
Posted: Tuesday, July 03, 2007 5:39:28 PM

Keep battling (spraying) the poison ivy relentlessly. Idlewild had much ivy, thorns, and not a lot of play in the beginning. It is gradually getting more play and has become quite civilized thanks to Fred and his great ARMY of volunteers.
Even Mt. Airy was played very little in the beginning - slowly, folks have gotten accustomed to the greater difficulty of Airy and the course now "crawls" with MANY players.
finnhawc
Posted: Tuesday, July 03, 2007 7:40:49 PM

Warning: poison ivy(oil) stays active for up to five years after the plants are dead. And after you spray it the plants it "bruises" them releasing the oils- be careful. Also, even if you are "immune" the immunity can be fleeting and then return. I know this because my Gulley Open case of ivy from an errant drive on 16(still deuced it) forced me to research the dang plant that I was immune to.
13ruce-137
Posted: Wednesday, July 04, 2007 4:43:47 PM

Lemonade at the turn would help with traffic i think!
mikejenkins1
Posted: Sunday, July 22, 2007 7:00:41 PM

We played Gulley tonight (7/22). There is a huge limb down by hole #1 and by #13. We also got an Aerobie (hole in center) up in a tree in the gulley on #13. We will be back to get it. So if anyone else sees it on the ground before that please contact me at mikejenkins1@hotmail.com. We really like the course. We had to leave after #13 since it was getting late. Before we left, a beautiful austrailian sheppard came to the shelter, picked up a stick, and played fetch with my daughter. It was very well trained and we assume it was from the nearby house. Is that the caretakers house? The dog is black and white with no tags. Very well behaved and knows how to play fetch.

DanH
Posted: Tuesday, July 24, 2007 10:50:56 AM

Glad you are enjoying the course. Disc golf with an Aerobie though?

The dog's name is Chief. He belongs to the former landowner of the park. He is very friendly, almost too friendly as some have reported he likes to chase discs.

Thanks for the update on the limbs.
mikejenkins1
Posted: Wednesday, July 25, 2007 5:19:28 AM

I agree about Chief, I could just see us out there on #12 and come out of the valley seeing this dog running around with your frisbee. As for the Aerobie, first I must say we play for fun. I grew up with it and loved getting the huge distance and just carried it over to golf. But I have gone to a more disc golf traditional frisbee (from Aerobie) lately. Getting it stuck is becoming too much work.

I did drop an email to the warren county parks about the limbs as well. Guess I would not play this park during a windy day!