Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Gulley work has begun. Options
mikejenkins1
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2007 7:07:58 AM

We went back last night to retrieve my son's aerobie with a rope saw and it only took about 4 minutes to get it down. We also noticed that the fallen tree limbs were gone and that the trees near #1 were cut down to the ground. My brother-in-law and I went and played a great 18 holes. We met up with the local dog Chief again at #4. He stuck with us and played through #18. He is a great dog. When you make a throw, he will chase it down and then lay on it for you as he is guarding it for you. Hope to see him again. Lucky for us, we had water bottles in the car to give him so he didnt get too hot. It would be nice to have a water source at the shelter. We really do like this course. They had also recently mowed the grass and widened a couple of the early and late holes by a couple of feet. Looks like this should be a good park to play. It is a little commute from our house (35 min) but well worth the visit.
DanH
Posted: Thursday, July 26, 2007 12:23:14 PM

The Park Board CC'd their email reply to me to answer the question about the signs, but I figured I might as well post it here instead of an email. Thanks for leaving the positive feedback to the Parks. I'm sure they will keep supporting disc golf if they know it's appreciated.

For some reason, contrary to my instructions, the workers faced all the tee signs towards the previous basket. So that as you walked to the next hole, you were looking at the tee sign. Mike Kemner fixed a lot of them, but some of them were too stubborn to pull up and rotate. It's still on the To Do list as well as a number of other things.
mikejenkins1
Posted: Friday, August 10, 2007 7:11:38 PM

We were at Gulley tonight. I must say this is a very well kept and groomed park. We noticed one of the concrete picnic tables was collapsed. Any ideas what happened. Looked like there was painting going on as there was a paint pan near by, or was it vandals? For those of you who geocache, we actually were there placing 2 caches in the park. They should be online soon and available for finding.

edge
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2007 6:00:35 AM

I played Gulley on Saturday, the course was empty. Pretty nice layout, the thorns were a little rough in places, but all and all it was a pretty good course
a_hlavac
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2007 6:58:57 AM

I played Gulley twice this weekend and I was thrilled with the course. You guys did an outstanding job.

PROS: Beautiful scenery, good course flow (easy to find the next tee), good signs, no traffic, moderate challenge

CONS (Constructive criticism only): No water fountain/soda machine, no concrete tee pads, thorns bushes

I highly recommend this course to anyone in the area. It is encouraging to see people actively creating disc golf "works of art" like Gulley.
mikejenkins1
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2007 9:07:29 AM

Agree on both accounts. The con of no water is a biggie when it is 100 degrees outside. We have learned to pack lots of water. Also, you learn where the thorns are (by tough learning) and try to avoid them.
mikejenkins1
Posted: Friday, October 05, 2007 3:51:06 AM

Couple questions: Last time there we noticed the port-o-let was gone. Any idea if it is coming back? Any knowledge if they are thinking of putting in any water fountains? Now that it gets dark earlier, we seem to play up to dark there. Do they ever pull the gate and lock it? Since the house there on the driveway is on the inside of the gate we just wondered if they didnt do that.
EliteZPuttr
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2007 6:58:24 PM

played gulley on 10/10. It's a far drive (from Cincy) but I thought it was a fairly decent course. I don't know if I would make a long drive to play it frequently, but if I lived in the area I would play it a lot. The thorn bushes sucked, and a few of the holes were too open. That being said, it was overall an above average course.