Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Mid-ranges Options
Discgolfkid
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2007 2:18:41 PM

I'm looking for a good understable mid-range for my bag; right now I have a beaten-in cobra (got it at last year's pig) and it can hold an anhyzer line on most occasions, but sometimes it fades hard at the end. Should I keep beating in the cobra in the hopes that it'll eventually work, or try something else like a meteor, wolf, or stingray?

In addition, I'm looking for the best overstable mid-range. I have two rocs, but sometimes even they can't hold up to wind. Would anyone recommend a gator, drone, or wasp?

Kool Keith
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2007 5:02:10 PM

It's hard to beat a Comet, Buzzz, Wasp rotation.

I'd go X Comet, ESP (or FLX) Buzzz, and Z Wasp.
Discgolfkid
Posted: Monday, April 16, 2007 5:10:55 PM

Thanks for the advice, Keith. I can't wait to try out the FLX plastic, especially considering the weather in most of my tournaments (cold with rain/snow.) I've never thrown a buzzz before, but it sounds perfect.
bobherb
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2007 7:41:59 AM

Consider the Gateway E plastic "Element" for a straight flying midrange and the Gateway E plastic "Sabre" for an overstable midrange.
I will be at the Boone CCS on Saturday if you want to try them.
They are both very durable, long lasting discs.
The S-Element is a slightly understabe midrange, similar to a "Comet".
STEVO
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2007 8:01:28 AM

It's a little old school, but the Stratus will turn over and keep on turning. If you're looking for a true "anhyzer" disc, check it out.
Seanboy
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2007 1:06:24 PM

Sounds like a true lefty!!!
Fred Salaz
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2007 1:42:47 PM

Throw what the real pro's throw. KC ROC'S, a beat up roc for turnovers, a broken in roc for straight shots and a new roc for over stable shots. If you want to be a pro level player someday you might as well start throwing the good stuff now and don't waste your time with that other cr**.
Discgolfkid
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2007 1:47:05 PM

What's the difference between roc, classic roc, KC roc, and super roc?
Fred Salaz
Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2007 8:07:44 PM

KC Rocs are the best midrange discs made. Period.......
Kool Keith
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2007 4:39:38 AM

Essentially the difference lies in the plastic.

Roc = DX.
Classic Roc = not really a Roc, more of a slightly flippy small mid range disc.
KC = stiff plastic, each run is pretty different 11x, 10x, 12x, 0x, etc....
Super = a pro plastic blend, usually pretty soft and tacky, made in limited numbers as a fundraiser for worlds.
Blotz
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2007 6:18:50 AM

I'm getting really nice anheizer line with my Breeze. I know its not all pro-sexy like a KC Roc, but yah gotta throw what works for you. Plus the Z plastic will last like.. eons or something.

:shades

Craig
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2007 7:08:18 AM

Never liked the roc myself. I'd have to agree with keith and go with the comet, buzz, wasp theory. The firebird is my favorite midrange, nice short easy hyzer, forehand or backhand.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2007 7:43:25 AM

rookies
andersab
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2007 8:17:50 AM

I am a fairly new player and I quickly bought into the KC Pro Roc (thanks Fred). I liked it for awhile but then I started trying discraft plastic and realized that it was a little more consistent (especially when I lost one and had to get a new one). I have since figured out that it fits better in my big 'ol hand. Just find what feels the best. Ask other players if you can throw theirs (like Sat @ Big Boone). You can find me and I'll let you throw anything in the bag... I'll even bring one of my old KCProRocs to let you feel it out.

Cheers
beer
matthew_blakely
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2007 9:49:13 AM

Flippy Midranges
Breeze, Stratus, x-Comet, meteor, stingray, cobra, element, classic roc?, kite?

Stable Midrange
Squall, d,x,esp, z-buzz, d-wasp, z-comet, roc, skeeter

Overstable midrange
gator,x,z, esp-wasp, drone, kc roc

I'm sure there are more.

Just find what you like.
Freds is a one and only kind of guy and he's all INNOVA
Almost all the companies are making good models of discs in varying plastic

My guess as to what would be best for you would be:

Flippy
X-comet or stingray

Stable
buzz in any plastic or roc (both are very good disc)(With rocs I used to prefer bottom stamps)

Overstable
esp wasp, kc roc or gator

You really just need to try stuff to find what you like.
Discgolfkid
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2007 11:49:59 AM

Part of my biggest concern is that i'm looking for something really strong in the hyzer department. When it gets windy (especially at Harbin) I find myself without any really good discs to throw that won't get beaten by the wind on windy days. I guess I could try a firebird midrange, but then I don't like the rolling possibilities on slanted greens.

For very powerful winds, I would prefer a drone even if it's really, really overstable. I don't want to get a wasp and then realize that it still can't hold up to 40 mph winds.
NEngle
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2007 12:54:03 PM

Quote:
Fred Salaz - 4/18/2007 9:43 AM

rookies

laugh

bobherb
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2007 1:02:06 PM

Hey Jonathan S.,
It is hard for "any" disc to hold up to a 40 m.p.h. headwind, unless it is thrown with a smooth release, no wobble, and a fair amount of spin. Do you have much experience throwing a BIG, FAT FRISBEE, Apple, or equivalent.
If you can throw and control one of these big babies into a headwind, you will be able to handle throwing "any" disc into a headwind.

Discs definitely (note the 2 "i"'s in that word) have different characteristics, but a smooth, non wobbling "snap" out of the hand is your saving grace when it comes to fierce headwinds. When you acquire this "snap" with a Frisbee and can execute it with confidence, you will discover and appreciate the different nuances of the aforementioned "discs".

So, get yourself an old-school Frisbee, a friend, and do some passing on a strong windy day. Throw it hard.
When you get that down pat, under control, and you are not throwing rollers, move up to an Aviar (or equivalent, like a Wizard - {Dave McCormack has been good to me}) and see if you can control it when you throw it really hard.

Your angle of release will have to be more of a hyser the stronger the headwind. Do not get discouraged if you do throw a few rollers - keep trying - it will make "ALL" of your golf shots, with "ALL" discs fly better!

-"Sorry" or "your welcome" for the mini-article.
Kool Keith
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2007 2:26:14 PM

I'll echo what Bob said - anything can be super flippy in the wind if it flutters. Overstable discs HELP mask it, but the biggest problem is a bad release in the wind.

Put a Wasp in the bag, the Drones are almost useless. Or, a KC Roc.

Are you trying to throw hyzers into the wind, or straigh shots that do not flip?
Discgolfkid
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2007 5:13:29 PM

I'm just trying to minimize wind interference any way I can. As far as driving, getting something overstable helped immensely. I figured the same principle would apply to putting, but I guess not. I think, all things considered, I will get a KC roc because I understand what you're saying. If I get a very overstable disc, it's not going to perform well if I don't, and I'm not so great at approach hyzers.

For Bob, do you have any ideas on why I flip over an aviar throwing it forcefully backhand, but I can really whip it forehand and keep it straight?
Kool Keith
Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2007 7:53:48 PM

Because you are releasing with a cleaner release forehand, backhand has too much power for a flippy putter...

Lots of things COULD be at play.
bobherb
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2007 9:42:53 AM

Let me watch you throw sometime - such as Saturday at Boone. Are you are going to be there?
Discgolfkid
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2007 1:38:21 PM

Yeah I'll be there. My guess is that by watching me throw you'll immediately notice a lot of flaws, so hopefully we can fix some of them.
Daniel
Posted: Thursday, April 19, 2007 4:08:58 PM

If you're playing in that strong of a headwind, just throw an overstable driver (ie/ Monster, predator, Max, etc). Much more predictable and accurate for both drives and upshots in high wind situations.

My $0.02.
mikesech
Posted: Monday, June 04, 2007 6:04:51 PM

probly a buzz i have one and it works great