Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

From left to right... Options
Hyperrock
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2007 11:10:15 AM

My question to anyone is: Are there disc's out there that go from "left to right" for a right-hander? Does the "fade rating" have something to do with that? Is it just in how you throw it? Any info on this subject would be greatly appreciated!
matthew_blakely
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2007 11:31:25 AM

It's hard for newer players or players with less snap to get disc to turn right. Disc with less stability or less fade are normally the best. Stratus, Comets, stingrays, cobra, roadrunners, sidewinders, avenger ss, express, are all disc meant to be stable to understable.

One thing that could really help is likely to adjust your form. Make sure your pulling across your chest, and not down lower. You can point your elbow slightly upward and roll your forearm over and this will help turn disc's over.

If you come out to a weekly event somebody would likely be able to help you. You wouldn't have to play either if you didn't want. Fred Salaz is a great teacher and he is normally out on tuesday nights.

Good luck
bobherb
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2007 12:10:37 PM

Another option is to throw in a forehand fashion (use 2 fingers on the underside of a disc). That way, a disc will skip to the right after it stops flying and get you closer to your target, providing the target is indeed further to the right. I wish I had a better forehand as it allows one to throw slow, touch shots which will continue traveling right in a different manner than a turn-over backhand shot.

Older, more beat-up discs tend to "turn over" (as we old discers say) or to the right for backhand - throwing right handers.
If you are from a frisbee background, you will have to force over a "disc" much more than a frisbee, to get it to turn right - unless you are throwing into a stiff headwind.

Put simply, the faster a disc's air speed the greater its tendency to turn-over.

Have you tried turning over a putter. That may be the best way to start.
Hyperrock
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2007 3:30:34 PM

I've been an "on again, off again" disc golfer. When I lived in Maryland they had some really challenging courses near my area that required a variety of discs to get you through dog legs, trees, etc... I recently played at a course in Burlington, KY called Idlewild which I'm sure you are all familiar with. first course I've played here that offers a good challenge besides Banklick, not that I'm a true professional, but I dislike tight simple zigzag courses. When I played, there seemed to be a lot of holes that required a left to right shot and trees everywhere. I threw across my shoulder but could'nt seem to get the right movement to bend as much as I wanted it too. So I guess my question really would be what "disc" would you all suggest? I see a "Stingray" has a -5 turn ratio. Would having that disc, along with technique be a remedy for my woes? I've really got the bug again for this game. Also, are there any good non-pdga tournaments or events I can get involved in? Or should I just go ahead and pay my dues to the PDGA and get it over with? Thanks for any help!!!
Craig
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2007 3:46:00 PM

You should try a Comet, would be my suggestion. If it don't turn over enough for you blast it into a tree, fetch and repeat. Till you get the desired flight. But also like Bob said, try a forehand, I throw them a lot.

As for tournaments you should check out the course challenge series hosted by the cinci disc golf club (GCFDA). They are pretty cheap and you get a good feel for tourneys. If you want bigger and better then try PDGA tourneys. Also there is a whole assortment of weekly (evenings) events, Doubles and single and they are normally 6 dollars.
NEngle
Posted: Thursday, May 10, 2007 6:29:51 PM

Quote:
Craig - 5/10/2007 5:46 PM  As for tournaments you should check out the course challenge series hosted by the cinci disc golf club (GCFDA). They are pretty cheap and you get a good feel for tourneys. If you want bigger and better then try PDGA tourneys.

Better how?

finnhawc
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2007 6:35:02 AM

Yes the STINGRAY is a very good choice as it will make a left to right without any help from you; just, throw it straight and smooth and it will turn right for right hand throwers. The more you get back into the game you will be able to turn over more stable disks. Like Bob said try a putter that will force you to be smooth. For nick-better raffles...? :eye
bobherb
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2007 7:20:44 AM

I gotta' agree with Nick, our GCFDA tourneys are hard to beat: one day, two rounds, every month (during March - November), many divisions, "mostly" friendly, added cash and prizes, great volunteer T.D.s, in your home town (for most of us)... what else could you ask for?

If one plays all CCS tourneys and all of our FINE local PDGA tourneys, one will be ready for a break come November.
matthew_blakely
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2007 8:13:02 AM

He probably means better competition. I must say the course challenges have picked up lately in that category too though.
Craig
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2007 10:25:14 AM

Yeah I meant no harm against the CCS. But I prefer putting up more money, getting points, rating and stats kept. The CCS is more friendly and a better time, with more people that I know. But still I'd rather have the harder level of compitition.
Sweetriver
Posted: Friday, May 11, 2007 11:03:54 AM

Whatever Craig, your competition is right here. Sweetriver is gunning for you, sucka
Craig
Posted: Sunday, May 13, 2007 2:25:20 PM

If I gotta play with ya Gaehl, it's over. Your just too intimidating.
Hyperrock
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2007 2:30:42 PM

Thanks for the suggestions and help. Bought a stingray. Seems to do what I want it too.