Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Newbie Question Options
taylorcm
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2007 5:41:15 AM

I'm a newbie of a sort...I played the course in Oxford 20 years ago as a student at Miami and have now moved back to Oxford and started playing again. When I used to play, I played with a regular frisbee (old beat up whammo as a matter of fact) and did pretty well. I just invested in a golf disc (a mid-range) and may eventually buy other discs (driver, putters, etc.). Any tips on making the adjustment from a regular frisbee to a golf disc? I'm already noticing that my discs regulalry go left at the end of the flight. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
finnhawc
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2007 6:33:03 AM

Go to the course challenge this Saturday and talk to the vendors there they'll will likely be happy to show you grips and other techniques to help with your transition from old to new school. First off, try to throw straight consistantly, not far but, straight. Watching how people throw is also helpful. The best way to learn is to play with people with more skill;so, come out and play the course challenge if you can. It is a cheap and fun tournament!
Fred Salaz
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2007 7:08:38 AM

Come to the ace fund at Oxford tonight at 6:00 and some one will be glad to help you out. MIke will have tons of discs available too. Who knows you might win the $200.00 that's in the ace pool.
taylorcm
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2007 10:16:55 AM

Thanks for the help all. Any other comments are welcome but I also have another question. My new disc has rough spots on the edges from grounding out on the concrete (came up short trying to cross a road with a shot). Is it adviseable to smooth those out? If so, how? (sandpaper?)
bobherb
Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 2007 11:11:08 AM

Some people use a dry towel with decent success (Freddy).
Sandpaper works too - just don't overdo it.
Your disc's flight characteristics will change over time and you will be able to adjust to new discs.
Let an experienced player watch you throw - ask for some feedback about your form and the type of disc(s) you should try.
Have fun!!!
berto
Posted: Sunday, May 27, 2007 4:10:21 PM

discs get beat up.... If you are playing regularly, using one disc, that disc wont last too long... You should think of it like clubs in golf..... For instance a disc driver is shaped very distinctly and is ment for one thing and that is a particular flight pattern... If you use it to putt, the constant abuse that a basket will put on it will ruin it..... It will no longer have a consistant flight pattern..... Where a putter is made to take the abuse and will last you a long time and save your drivers or midranges.... My advice is though it takes a while to learn to throw them like disc's as appossed to frisbees.... You should think of the right disc for the shot you are taking.... Use a driver to drive... a midrange for controll and wind or short shots and putt with a putter.... I would say that understanding that dynamic will help you to improve.... first you should invest in a driver, Valkerie or a wraith are good for beginers. Second buy a putter , challenger , aviar , or wizard, are popular ones..... I dont know what you are using for a mid but the buzz or a roc are good ones...... With a three disc set up you can at least bring all the shots you will need to the table..... This way also one disc isn't taking all the abuse and you stuff will last longer. as far as learning to throw the best way to learn is to throw with better players, ask question and keep trying to improve..... Also the pdga website www.pdga.com has links to articles and web radio snipets of pro's and others with advice on the game... also video clips demonstrating the x step and putting as well...

hope that helps, come to any club function and you can learn alot......