Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Mason Sports Park Options
DanH
Posted: Monday, June 02, 2008 12:13:03 PM

STEVO wrote:
BTW- Do the course designers realize that a few disc golfers throw left-handed??  dumb  dumb

Left hand backhand is an improper disc golf technique according to most course designers I think. I played it with sidearms, and did ok, but a couple holes there is just no answer. Righty backhand can work well on every hole though, so you do have a point.
andersab
Posted: Monday, June 02, 2008 1:42:35 PM

STEVO wrote:
BTW- Do the course designers realize that a few disc golfers throw left-handed??  dumb  dumb

You don't think 1, 4, 5, 6 are lefty holes?

I don't think it matters on 9 since there isn't an OB...
EXMONEY@HARBIN
Posted: Monday, June 02, 2008 2:28:04 PM

I totally agree with STEVEO. wow you can really be good there if your left handed! They have quite a few very nice holes out there, but some of them i believe could be a little better (hole 9). And one more thing, i dont know if they where on a tight budget or what not(i couldnt imagine that in Mason) but there could easily be a beutiful competetive 18 hole course there with a little more clearing out of brambles, and a few less feet in between each hole. I mean some of them walks from hole to the next tee boxes, could have been holes themselves. Me and my buddy actually threw to the next tee boxes, and used them as holes, so we got 14 holes in!
T_Vincent
Posted: Monday, June 02, 2008 4:46:59 PM

I do not know about 4 so much being a lefty hole. I look at that being a long S curve (If you have the D. I don't, but that is just me). A lefty with D would put it in the OB swamp. There is no OB on 9 but I think it would be good to make the tree line a mando. This would keep a few discs from the path and the fields to the right. Just my 2 cents.
Zeigler
Posted: Monday, June 02, 2008 10:28:20 PM

OKAY....coming from someone who throws a 375 sidearm if needed, #4 is ABSOLUTELY not a lefty hole....Kinda funny to call it that.....i throw half and half, sidearm and backhand...even though backhand has more D. #4 is IMPOSSIBLE for a left or sidearm.....the hole finishes going left....a back hand S shot parks it everytime.

as for 3 holes of 9 being lefty...think about what you are syaing....this means that 6 holes of the 9 are righty friendly. I dont mean to get hyper about this, but it is one thing that really gets my hyper.....think about when Drew Miller plays a course....you give him a FEW shots that go his way...and everyone goes...OHHH....LEFTY COURSE....think about a lefty trying to throw 80% of the holes at most courses.....as for this course.....# 2, 3, 7 and 8 are all REALLY hard for a lefty or sidearm thrower.....i think a course which is 80-90% backhand is rediculous.....left handed players should be alowed to play the sport too...not to mention it just makes the course a little more challenging and fun for righties.....if its a hard hole...learn to throw sidearm!!!

This course has a nice mix of a variety of shots....well thought out....though more holes would be fun!!!

Again...please dont take offense to everything...just trying to make sure you see both sides of the story.
EXMONEY@HARBIN
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 10:35:13 AM

I dont think you make any sense Zeigler. Are you left handed? I dont think anyone can say that this isnt a so called "lefty course". Sure they have there right handed favor holes too, but when they made the lefty holes (1,5,6,9) they made them extreme. Think about it, hole 1 is a little mid for a lefty, but a rather challening hole for a righty. Two isnt terribly hard for either hands, if you can throw a middie straight(left handed). Hole 4, is a tough shot for either hands, and a very well built hole. Hole 5, can pull a right handers back out, but is a nice easy throw for lefty. Hole 5, same as hole 4, but a very well built hole(lefty). 6, i think is a nice hole, but tough for lefties. I dont remeber 7. 8, is signature hole, nice shot for either hand. And 9, well everyone knows thats lefty. So out of the whole course there is two holes where being right is an advantage. And there are 4 holes that are an EXTREME favorties to the "lefty". Im not trying to start an argument, but i believe the course, like a lot of courses, has favoritism to the "lefty". Again, Just my 2 cents!!!
STEVO
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 10:44:39 AM

Thanks, Drew-- Voice of reason!!

Okay, hole 1.  It's lefty, but it's 200 ft.!  And not exactly an extreme turnover shot.

Hole 2-- Brutal.  Turns left, OB parking lot on the right, hill slopes down from left to right toward the lot (huge righty advantage- lefty doesn't turn it enough, hyzers OB, turns it too fast, it digs in the hill and rolls OB).  Plus trees on the left prevent much chance at a straight shot to the hole.

Hole 3-- Obvious, the hole bends and bends to the left, and again, the hill slopes down from left to right.

Hole 4-- It's not a lefty hole if the dogleg left to right is at the 60 ft. mark on a 400 ft. hole!!  Plus, as Drew pointed out, the rest of the hole bends back to the left, making it a perfect righty "flex" shot.  Oh yeah, and it slopes down from left to right again.

Hole 5-- Wow, an actual lefty hole?  But it's flat, and reasonably playable with a good righty anhyzer.

Hole 6-- It does turn right, but for most, except long-arms, it's a two shot hole (uphill at the end).  And once again, as it nears the basket, it is sloping down from left to right.

Hole 7-- Big left turn for the righty hyzer.  Plus, the trees on the short right side of the fairway really pinch a lefty backhand shot.

Hole 8-- Pretty much a straight shot.  But the trees on the left across the stream force a lefty shot to hyzer away from the basket (or even lay up), while, again, the hole is very suitable for the righty flex shot.

Hole 9-- This is a very good two shot hole.  Not sure it benefits either side, it's just a long tough hole.  Side note: The walking path (and across) could be made OB to make it even more challenging.

The point about this layout is that a couple holes have a mild lefty advantage, but righties still have very reasonable options on them.  The rest are righty holes that are extremely prohibitive for the lefty shot.

You know, forget about us few lefties, we realize that it's a stinking righthanders DG world wink .  But why not design more holes that require an anhyzer shot just because that makes ANY course harder.  Most righty pros that I play with carry very little understable (anhyzer) plastic in their bag.  I think that proves my point.  The Mason holes are beautifully designed, just completely unbalanced.  The course could have been wound counter-clockwise around the park, making it more well balanced, and would have been just as cool.  My guess is that was never even considered.
EXMONEY@HARBIN
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 11:37:37 AM

Well yeah i guess thats a lefties point of view. I have a few dissagreemtents, just for the fun of it. By no means am i saying this is all left handed, but i do believe a left hander can go out there and shoot a better round then a righty, of the same caliber! 1. Come on now, this is a walk in the park, warm up hole for a "lefty", but not so easy AT ALL, for a righty, you have to agree with that. 200 ft. uphill! 2. I will give you, it a right hole. But i can make it sound as easy as you made one sounds for a "righty". Just a striaght shoot to thew basket, nice easy downhill. If you throw a middie, you shouldnt have to worry to much about the roll, the hillside run into a creekbed, and then back up to the parking lot. If you throw far enough to the left of the hole, you shoudlnt have a problem with OB, unlesss your frisbee, rolls up hills! ANd "righties" have to worry about OB to. But ill give you "righty" hole, but not EXTREME, like number 1. 3. I dont remeber, but i guess its "righty". That may be why i dont remeber. 4. Not necessarily as easy as a nice easy "flex' shot, like you said. Not that easy at all. We have the hillside to contend with on the leftside of the basket, and we also have to worry about over throwing it right into the sewage water too. Not an easy hole for a "lefty" or "righty". You can say what you want, but its a well built hole for both sides. Equally as tough! 5.Yea, EXTREME "lefty", and dont tell me its a nice easy anhyzer. Im damn good with the sidewinder, but darn, that takes a lot of percision, on that hole. EXTREME 'Lefty" 6. I almost reached it with an anhyzer, i know that hole can be reached for two. And its the same length as 4, so if "righties' have such an advantage on 4, how can "lefties" not reach 6? FAVORED lefty, you have to admit that. 7. FINALLY a "righty" hole!!! You get yours on 5, we get ours on 7... And i believe 2 and 7, are the only holes you have an advantage for a righty! 8. beutiful hole!!! 9. Come on now, seriously? Big old Hyzer shot around all the trees. I do agree, its pretty much luck to get through, but id much rather throw a hard Hyzer at it, then a "break your back" anhyzer, or sidearm... Side note: its not OB, so you lefties can throw it as far as you want into that field. We have woods!!! SO again, there are acouple holes where right handed can be good (2,3,4?) otherwise, you better bring the anhyzer bomb, or a nice STABLE sidearm! Lefties, just bring your A game! Now thats a "righties" point of view.
13ruce-1337
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 11:48:59 AM

1. Easy buzz turnover .. parked 9/10 times Par 2
2. Obvious righty par 2
3. Longish righty par 3
4. Right handed s shot. par 3
5. Righty turnover .. longish .. Par 3
6. Righty turnover .. uphill longish .. Par 2 1/2
7. Long Hyzer par 3
8. Easy straight shot par 2
9. Nobody is driving the pin here lefty or righty .. par 3

Par ratings are based on right handed 907 player, so you figure out how your game fits.
13ruce-1337
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 11:53:58 AM

i will argue its not a lefty or righty course and yall should quit yer *****n and go play.   General rule of thumb on 9 would be on or across walking path is ob .. thats how every other course on the planet is played.  Also just my 2 cents.
EXMONEY@HARBIN
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 11:57:01 AM

what... id love to bet you on that first hole. Your telling me you can walk up to that hole, and your first ten throws, nine of them will be parked for EASY twos? If your not a PRO, i find it hard to believe. If you are a pro, then this course cant hold you anyways!
13ruce-1337
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 11:57:40 AM

Thats what im telling you .. and no im not a pro..  taking bets anytime you wanna loose some cash..  Phear my 907.  I have to repsectfully dissagree about this course not holding pro players also.   Its one of the longest 9 holes I have ever played.   Not very tight but the rough is rough .. and 4 of the holes are true par 3 holes .. that makes for a nice challenge even with a 1000 rated player
EXMONEY@HARBIN
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 11:58:32 AM

You cant play when you work buddy... Only write. Whats wrong with a simple discussion, anyways. It keeps the boring work day, itneresting... Thanks fellas, or ladies, its already lunch!
EXMONEY@HARBIN
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 12:00:46 PM

9/10 times huh? You must be pretty good if you got that kind of precision, on an anyhyzer hole like that... Uphill first shot of the day. Youd still go 9/10
13ruce-1337
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 12:03:57 PM

Self employment offers a certain amount of disc golf freedom, but I do work.
13ruce-1337
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 12:05:04 PM

Its 200 feet .. thats an upshot.. dueced 9/10 times .. you keep saying its difficult and i keep disagreeing.  Tell ya what .. lets setup a time when you arent slaving for the man and ill bring my rinos up there n show you how to do it?
EXMONEY@HARBIN
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 12:06:01 PM

One of the longest nine holes youve played? I dont know if that means, youve played longer 18 hole courses or what, but i dont recall it being very long... And i think pros would dominate this course. It would be a nice practice course for them, so they can get there middies out and throw them from teebox to hole. At all different angles, and lengths. But no holes where D really comes into play. Maybe 8,9... id say 8 is still i middie for pros though...
EXMONEY@HARBIN
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 12:07:33 PM

Yea but to do it 9/10 times, thats whats dificult, not the shot itself necesarrily. And the fact that its the first hole, and its a blind shot... I dont think you can do it 9/10 times, thats all im saying.
EXMONEY@HARBIN
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 12:09:48 PM

Sounds good. But i dont want you to be sitting at that hole practicing for two hours before i get there. I just want you to walk up to that hole, and get nine twos out of ten. just bring that cash, and ill bring my wallet to store all your cash...
13ruce-1337
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 12:10:42 PM

ok .. perhaps your conception of long differs from mine .. and yes .. its finally a course that has cought up with arm/ disc speed .. 1 hole under 3oo feet .. 5 between 3 and 400 .. 3 holes 400+ constitutes a pretty long course .. ESPECIALLY FOR 9 holes
13ruce-1337
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 12:11:45 PM

And ill take that bet .. right out of the car 10 bux sound friendly ?   Notice i didn't mention i can also putt pretty well?
13ruce-1337
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 12:15:24 PM

And silence speaks volumes
EXMONEY@HARBIN
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 12:19:29 PM

Yea you can look at it that way, by the numbers. But sometimes numbers are deceiving. I didnt go out there and think after ther round was over, wow this was along course, because honestly there is only one hole that you cant reach in one, and thats 9... So yeah the numbers indicate a long course, but not long and hard....
EXMONEY@HARBIN
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 12:20:26 PM

You can putt as well as you want, two of your disc are going into the woods, and i hear you cant putt out of them... lol
13ruce-1337
Posted: Tuesday, June 03, 2008 12:21:45 PM

;) after i take your 10 bux ..ill give you 2 strokes on the rest of the course .. for another 10 bux .. that way you can pay for my lunch and gas.  Whelp im off to work myself .. by no means did i mean for this to sound nasty as i love a good challenge .. i look forward to our wager and hell even a bad round of disc golf is better then a good day at work .. lemme know when you have time