Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Boone Woods Options
edge
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2007 6:25:17 AM

Well, we finally got a chance to play this course. Decent enough, had some nice holes.

One complaint though: how in the world does anyone know where the next pad is or what hole you are on? It would be great to see the park repair or update the signage. Luckily for us we ran into a local who knew his way around the course
Fred Salaz
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2007 6:42:38 AM

Contact the parks here: http://www.boonecountyky.org/parks/default.aspx
Let them know or else it won't get done.
edge
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2007 7:29:58 AM

Thanks Fred, I did just that at the park's website
I also mentioned to them that Idlewild is the finest course I have ever played.
edge
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2007 8:59:32 AM

quick reply and good news too:

Thanks for the great comments about Idlewild. Fred Salaz and his crew
help the Parks Department with the course and they do a tremendous
amount of work. Boone Woods is about three months from getting an
upgrade. We have an Eagle scout who is working on new signs/tee
markers. Also the Parks Department is getting ready to take the baskets
out and have them re-galvanized in August. It only takes two days to
re-galvanize.

Let me know if we can ever be of any help.

David Whitehouse, CPRP
Director
Boone County Parks
PO Box 566
Burlington, KY 41005
859-334-2117
859-334-2127 FAX
dwhitehouse@boonecountyky.org
"Boone County Parks Creating Life Long Memories"

LStephens
Posted: Monday, June 25, 2007 7:15:45 PM

Nice to know about the upgrades. I've been playing 2-3 times a week on my way home from work since I only work 1 mile away and feel my time is better spent on the course improving my game than sitting parked on 75N because someone thought that a 3 lane change while talking on a cellphone and eating cheetos was a good idea.
finnhawc
Posted: Tuesday, June 26, 2007 6:10:59 AM

LMAO-I was eating doritos and texting. Alright, Boone County Parks! The beautiful work on E-Idewild has paid off in many ways. Way to go disc golfers!
mikejenkins1
Posted: Thursday, August 02, 2007 12:07:40 PM

Ok, I planned to play this course in mid August in a few weeks. Will the course be available then and how can I easily find out (# to call)? Has any of the new signage work started? I plan on taking a map with me from this site to help out.
LStephens
Posted: Thursday, August 02, 2007 12:58:06 PM

I'll swing by the course tomorrow after work...about 3pm....and check it out...probably nothing has been done to it and probably won't be until late September. I haven't played out there in about 2 weeks. If you need someone to show you the course when you come and there isn't a tourney going on somewhere...give me a yell and I can meet you there.
rangel
Posted: Friday, August 03, 2007 5:42:40 AM

I can save you the trip. Kevin and I were out there Monday night (I think) and nothing has been done to the course.
mikejenkins1
Posted: Sunday, August 05, 2007 5:18:41 PM

Went there Sunday afternoon with a picnic lunch. Got there at the end of a rain shower and then the sun came out and it was scorchingly hot! We only played 9 holes due to heat. I did finally figure out the course layout. Definitely needs work on all the signage. But seems to be a fun course. The park was PACKED. We went to Idlewild to just see it and that is a huge park. We could only find a couple of holes with a drive by. Maybe when we are good and have lots of time, we can play it.

Craig
Posted: Sunday, August 05, 2007 6:36:34 PM

Played there on friday and the course look pretty good. Garbage was all clean and lots of branchs sticks and such had all been cleaned. Also 16 looks a lot different. They took the branchs off the tree in the middle of the fairway, more than the bottom half. Might even of cut a tree down?
LStephens
Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 2007 10:27:00 PM

Boone this week was looking rediculas. They trimmed the crap out of the pine tree on hole ten...now the basket just basically sits in the open. The big pine that had limps touching the ground on 11.... Someone trimmed that up like a toothpick...now there is no fear of getting gobbled up there on an errant drive. The trees on 16...trimmed like crazy. This tree cutting is getting out of hand....They need to plant more and add some diversity to the course instead of having an entire course where every hole is a straight shot.
bobherb
Posted: Thursday, September 13, 2007 8:06:41 AM

There may have been some die back on those trees and/or some over exuberance with the chain saws.

Throwing field shots all day can get boring.
Thank goodness someone took the time at Idlewild to carve holes through the woods.    :homeimp

LStephens
Posted: Thursday, September 13, 2007 8:14:29 AM

I wish I had the time to play Idlewild before work...and then I'd play there. However, upon further reflection...I might as well just play 9 holes at Idlewild and rotate front and back 9 every other day. I just get sick of everyone cutting trees and making the course 'fair'. I'm the worst player on these forums and I'm probably the most vocal about making courses diverse. A course should force me to use every disc in my bag. It should force me throw backhand, forehand, rollers, spike hyzers, and on down the line. Every hole should have a 'homie route'. If I go out and throw 18 straight field shots I will never get better. Sure, I'll add some D and work on my putting, but I'll get crushed by inferior competition the first time I step foot on a tight wooded course.
bobherb
Posted: Thursday, September 13, 2007 8:33:59 AM

The double loop allows you to finish 9 holes and be near hole 1.
Ball golf courses have been designed this way so players can stop by the club house for beverages and food after the "front" nine before they head out to play the "back" nine.
Idlewild does mix it up a bit with tight and open holes.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Thursday, September 13, 2007 1:26:06 PM

I talked to David Whitehouse last week and he mentioned redesigning Boone Woods this winter. Not sure about making it big boone but will definetely use some of the holes from that design. More when it happens.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Friday, March 14, 2008 1:02:46 PM

The new design is on hold for the stream restoration project to get done. Apparently they are going to widen the creeks and let the grass grow up to 15 feet from the creek on either side for the wildlife(?). Not sure when that will happen but once they have completed that we can design the course around whatever land is left. We will keep you posted.
rangel
Posted: Saturday, March 15, 2008 8:24:09 AM

Make sure they are completely finished before you start. They did the creek thing here in Walton. Then put signs up saying what you were not allowed to do. Then put a nice fence up on both sides to keep you out. Really is a nice fence.

I'm not much of a tree hugger and this project in Walton didn't help. I mean Walton City Park isn't on the top ten list for park visitors.
discndat
Posted: Tuesday, March 25, 2008 11:11:53 AM

Haven't had a chance to check it out yet, but have gotten two reports of Hole #7 (I think this is the one they are talking about) having been sawed off and missing. Anyone else been out there to see this? Lee - I know you go out there fairly often?
LStephens
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 12:04:36 AM

Dan, I'm lost. What was reported to have been sawed off?

I played yesterday and today....actually two full rounds today before work in the wind to prepare for BG. Best I could do was -2...pretty good for me though. Hole #7. I can't remember ever seeing a sign at the tee for #7. Most of the signs on the holes are missing. Rotted to a point..then vandaled the rest of the way...but more rot than vandal. #9 basket is still held together with string on the bottom. It needs a weld repair...actually..we just need new baskets out there. It's hard enough for me to sink 30' putts..but these baskets don't like to keep anything.

I'd like to volunteer...but I need someone with a chainsaw and a truck...there are a lot of small trees down...along the creek on #7 and #8 and the small tree beside #5 basket almost crushed the basket..and still laying there. Like I said...I'll do the grunt work if someone would donate a chainsaw and a truck the haul the stuff outta there. I see parks people out there all the time driving on the course and putting huge ruts in the grass..but they never cut any of the downed trees.

I can't wait for the redesign. Until a few weeks ago I threw with a noodle arm. Now that my arm strength is creeping up...and I start throwing a Buzz where I used to throw a driver...I start to realize that the teepads at Boone are just too small to get a decent run up.

Fred: If we can get the Parks Department to drop some Rip-Rap on hole #13. The drainage from those apartments toward the creek is leaving an erosional washout that can get unsafe to foot traffic.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 12:57:24 AM

Lee, gotta wait for the restoration project. Park deptartments aren't in any hurry so you just have to suck it up and wait.
13ruce-1337
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 7:18:16 AM

Lee is an expert at sucking it up ... (sorry buddy that was a slow pitch over the plate.)
discndat
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 4:22:55 PM

Lee,
I was told by two people that a basket was missing. I don't know much more than that. They said it was one back by the fort, so I thought #7. They said they could see where it was sawed off. But apparently not since you just played there. Later and thanks for getting back.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 6:19:39 PM

There is an old tee sign cut off by #7's tee. That could be what they were talking about.
Kool Keith
Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 2008 8:14:47 PM

There are no missing baskets at Boone as of 8pm Wednesday night.