Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Boone Woods Options
LStephens
Posted: Thursday, March 27, 2008 12:02:25 AM

Yea...probably the old tee sign just to the left of #7's teepad. A n00b probably couldn't see the basket slightly hidden behind the tree on #7 and then saw what appears to be an empty sleeve. I guess they wanted to ace that 8 foot jump putt. Even if the teesigns were up....Boone is a confusing layout if you've never played it before. You can stand on a teepad and see 5 baskets on some holes. I routinely watch people drive up...get out...like 3 guys on lunch break..and start meandering around the course in some crazy fashion...and to top it off..I hear arguing over how many shots each guy had....sometimes very vocal arguing. I'll try and let a single person or two people play with me if I see them having problems finding the holes..but I just can't harsh my mellow that hard volunteering for a 5some that wants to argue.
Big D
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2008 5:48:33 PM

I like the sound of what being said here. We do need new signs and baskets. Its for sure that the park workers dont do ****. I remember hearing back in february, that people were going to get together and clean up Banklick. We should do that for Boone Woods.
discndat
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2008 6:04:57 PM

The signs and baskets are going to get replaced. The course will be re-designed and will be better than ever. Sometimes it just takes a little time. Especially when you are dealing with government agencies and systems. A cleanup day at Boone wouldn't hurt though, that's for sure.
Big D
Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 2008 6:10:47 PM

Thats great to hear and hope to see that a clean up day does happen.
L_Stephens
Posted: Tuesday, July 29, 2008 11:45:23 PM

Was out at Boone today because I was running late and only had 45 mins to shoot a round before work. I noticed the Parks put some nice full sized pastic trash cans...look sort of like those neighborhood mail drop boxes. This should keep the course much cleaner than a 5 gallon bucket hooked to the tee sign. Now...if they could cut up some of the storm damage limbs laying everywhere.
agentdozzer
Posted: Saturday, August 16, 2008 12:55:27 PM

There seems to be new signs up throughout the course, cant wait to play the new design. I never play boone but was there and got a little excited hard to see what the holes will be. Any one got a description or eta for the new design?
bobherb
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2008 4:39:49 PM

Fred and I marked the tee locations for the new design.
Hole 1 starts near old hole's 18 tee, and the basket is planned to be near hole 1's tee.
The remainder of the holes travel back and forth, generally parallel to the parking lot with hole 9 (I think)
in the same location as the old hole 16.
Then, the "back 9" will be across the parking lot, where the extra holes of "Big Boone" are played.
They are different from the "Big Boone" holes due to the hundreds of new trees which were planted on the hill of the first
extra hole of the Big Boone layout.
The Boy Scouts "planted" the new tee signs for badge credit (I think) but the course re-design is not yet scheduled.
I think the new course will not be another Idlewild but will have an SSA of approximately 50 - not too shabby.
discndat
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2008 11:34:47 AM

Kevin or Fred - any word on when the new baskets and course design will be complete? I've had lots of people in the store asking. Plus, would like to know if it will be ready for the Ace Race Day Glo? Thanks
Fred Salaz
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2008 12:46:01 PM

He should be ordering baskets this week. Lee is getting involved so the course should be in by the 18th but not sure about tee pads.
KevinB
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2008 2:24:00 PM

The parks director informed me he had the OK, with the budget, to order new baskets for Idlewild and Boone Woods. I will be contacting him again in the later part of this week to check status on this project. He knew we were busy with KY States and trying to get Idlewild back in shape, but now I believe both parties hope to have Boone Woods on the fast track to getting installed.
2Timer
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2008 2:29:50 PM

Now that you mention the baskets kevin. Any word on adding another course at Idlewild. I know I heard something about it awhile back.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2008 3:12:26 PM

That was supposed to happen when boone county was putting in the "Y" at boone woods. They were originally going to put it(the Y) in the back and move the disc golf course to Idlewild but that didn't happen so they just dropped the idea for another course.

Good shooting the 2nd round on Saturday. New course record in doubles "53"(I'm not counting the new hole). Sorry we didn't mention it at the awards. It's tough to remember everything while doing the awards.
2Timer
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2008 3:26:16 PM

Good shooting Fred. yeah, we started on 3 (not counting A) and got 4's on 3,5,6 and got a 3 on hole 4 then shot 4 under par the rest of the way if you count the holes as par 3's.
bobherb
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2008 5:37:42 PM

Dave,
Please post what you shot on each hole starting with hole 1.
2Timer
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 8:54:29 AM

starting on hole 1;

3,2,4,3,4,4,2,3,2,3,3,2,3,4,3,3,2,3=53

I tossed one in from the fairway on 2.
We both missed 35 footers for 3 on 3.
We both missed 23 footers for 2 on 4.
I made a 25 footer for 4 on 6.
Jeff gave us 20 footer on 7 and made it.
Jeff made a 40 footer for 3 on 10 after throwing over the top off the tee.
I pured one off the tee on 11 and did a fly by over the green and Jeff tossed up to the bridge and made a 30 footer for 3.
I made a 50 footer for 3 on 15.
I put one about 60 feet from the opening on 18 and threw a two finger roller out to the pine trees and Jeff made a 30 footer for 3.
bobherb
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 5:02:28 PM

26 on the back 9 was nearly as good as it can get, except for the 4 on # 14...
-not that 27 on the front nine was "bad".
discndat
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 5:36:42 PM

You guys are talking about Idlewild - I keep clicking on this thread thinking someone is talking about Boone Woods, but no, you're talking about Idlewild. I clicked on it 3 times this morning thinking I was clicking on the wrong thread each time! dumb
discndat
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 5:37:38 PM

Pretty good score for Boone though Dave.
bobherb
Posted: Wednesday, October 01, 2008 9:25:50 AM

Sorry Dan.
We oldsters can go off on tangents... You know!!!
Big D
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2008 3:42:17 PM

Hey I was wondering the status of the new course being designed and if there was a map of the new layout
KevinB
Posted: Wednesday, October 22, 2008 8:12:48 PM

I was told the purchase order for the new baskets was complete. Not sure what the turn around is on them, but I know all of us would like to see it on the fast track.
I would say go to the following link, http://www.egovlink.com/boonecountyky/action.asp?actionid=8651 and submit the question.
I would like to think I know what is going on, but I hear one thing and then wait for it to happen.
L_Stephens
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2008 12:08:01 AM

It's going to go a little something like this.

1. Take about a week to get the order actually in..then another week for delievery...then they will most likely sit in storage for another week while a plan is put forth.
2. Idlewild will take first priority so we will spend a weekend changing out 23 baskets and then arguing over where to place the alternate pin placements for erosion control and boredom factor. This will eat up another full week.
3. We have to dig and pour new sleeves for 18 baskets at Boone at their new placements. We will most likely argue..errr...discuss basket placements and their lines from proposed tee pads. Then we will all agree that a few holes would be great for alternate pin placements since one of us will be a forehander and the other a backhander and argue...err...discuss why the course is too righty or lefty friendly. This will eat up another week.
4. We will mark and...discuss...tee placements for the new 6'x15' tee pads...then we most likely will uproot and move the tee signs that were put in place by the Boy Scouts a few months ago on their project. We will hym and haw about moving the tee pad 2' to the right or left....or forward or back 8 inches...in order to have the bestest, funnest, grooviest shot allowed by law...this will take another week...maybe two.
5. Next we will find out that we must time our concrete pouring carefully because we've waited too long now and concrete doesn't like to be frozen...so..we take weeks trying to figure out when to pour...and basically give up until spring rolls around and play from dirt tee pads...thus causing erosion on the ground.
6. Then we hear from some of the long arms how great it would be for shot A to have a long pad because it would be perfect if you could back up another 600 feet because 428 feet uphill around the two remaining trees at Boone 'Woods' is too easy of a shot and we will put in a few alternate tees.

But seriously...all in all it is going to be a much better course. It will have brand new...never been aced before baskets....very nice tee pads..maybe we can get a few with the extra sliver of concrete on the left side for those of you that like to do your little ballerina 360's on any hole over 192 feet...and have all holes placed for maximum safety of the other park guests. I look forward to it..and look forward to playing it every day I'm not at Idlewild.
bobherb
Posted: Thursday, October 23, 2008 12:13:08 PM

Lee, You are quite a writer, rather negative and a "bit" wordy, but quite a writer just the same. Here is a previous post in regard to the new design:

==============================================================================================================
Fred and I marked the tee locations for the new design. Hole 1 starts near old hole's 18 tee, and the basket is planned to be near hole 1's tee. The remainder of the holes travel back and forth, generally parallel to the parking lot with hole 9 (I think) in the same location as the old hole 16. Then, the "back 9" will be across the parking lot, where the extra holes of "Big Boone" are played. They are different from the "Big Boone" holes due to the hundreds of new trees which were planted on the hill of the first extra hole of the Big Boone layout. The Boy Scouts "planted" the new tee signs for badge credit (I think) but the course re-design is not yet scheduled. I think the new course will not be another Idlewild but will have an SSA of approximately 50 - not too shabby.
==================================================================================================

If you are able to play Idlewild as often as you refer, I hope you can be available to help Fred and Kevin (and others) with the new course too. I suggest (who am I to suggest) you channel some of your "6" somewhat humorous (to some) points into more positive "action". PEACE!!!
L_Stephens
Posted: Friday, October 24, 2008 12:12:28 AM

Sorry Bob about sounding negative...some of it was dark humor I guess. 'wordy'?...me wordy?...I guess you talked to my boss and he told you about the weekly 500 page emails I send him to get things done and fixed..I try to keep it short here because I know people want to read quick and go out and play some disc golf in the big blue room.

Also..I'm at Idlewild darn near every weekday. I work second shift..which means I'm out there around noon to 2pm...that puts me at odds with other peoples schedules when it comes to most of the projects..I'm unavailable to do afternoon work. Then you say I can help on the weekend...but I'm one of the few traveling Ams left. If there is a sanctioned tournament within about 3 hours of my house...you can most like bet I won't be there. I've been known to play 9 hours from my house....however..I will find time to be with the Nati Crew out at Idlewild when time comes to plant some new alternate pins.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Friday, December 19, 2008 4:35:09 PM

I talked to the park director Thursday and because of the economic situation they only plan on buying baskets for Boone woods in January and do not have the funds for tee pads. He was looking at making them out of crushed gravel. Verona is on hold till next year.
Also, Idlewild will close again after the Ice Bowl in January. They will be taking out the baskets till March sometime.