Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Boone Woods Options
Tim Tim
Posted: Thursday, August 27, 2009 5:42:06 PM

That's cool, Monroe was my first and got me into the game as well. With Boone being so open and with mostly shorter holes, I think this upgrade is really gonna move it up in the ranks of high quality courses! I can't wait to see what all they do with it.
topherb
Posted: Saturday, August 29, 2009 10:00:27 AM

yeah can't wait to break some chains there!!!
Big D
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2009 10:33:55 AM

Are there any tee signs left to sponsor?
Fred Salaz
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2009 2:32:18 PM

September 10, 2009
Dear Disc Golf Enthusiast,
It is with great pleasure that we are able to announce the reconstruction of the Disc Golf Course at Boone Woods Park. Boone County Parks Department along with the NKU Center for Applied Ecology are proud to bring to our community and the Disc Golf community, this redesigned course.
The project that made the Boone Woods Disc Golf Course reconstruction possible is, The Stream and Wetland Restoration Fund (Stream Fund). The Stream Fund is comprised of in-lieu fees paid by Department of Army permit tees as mitigation for unavoidable stream impacts in Northern Kentucky. The ultimate goal of the program is to improve stream and water quality.
The Stream Fund is administered by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and the Kentucky Division of Water. The project is managed by the NKU Center for Applied Ecology. The Center identifies and assesses stream corridor restoration opportunities and implements plans to protect, enhance, restore and monitor sites.
Through this project the Boone County Parks Department along with the NKU Center for Applied Ecology were able to purchase new Innova DISCatchers and install Tee Pads.
The Boone County Parks Department has the #1 rated public Disc Golf Course in the country/world at England/Idlewild Park in Burlington. We believe that Boone Woods Disc Golf Course would be a great addition to Idlewild.
I would like to take this opportunity to invite you to become a hole sponsor at the newly reconstructed Boone Woods Disc Golf Course. If you would like to receive more information or make a donation, please contact Jackie Heyenbruch at the Boone County Parks office at (859) 334-3569 or at jheyenbruch@boonecountyky.org. The cost to sponsor a hole is $100. The hole you sponsor will be marked with a permanent metal sign located on the tee pad, and will include the sponsor’s name(s).

Please help support the Boone Woods Disc Golf Course reconstruction by becoming a sponsor. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Jackie Heyenbruch
Boone County Parks Department
Marketing & Resources Coordinator
5958 Garrard Street
Burlington, KY 41005

Would the GCFDA be interested in sponsoring a sign?
T_Vincent
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2009 10:03:56 PM

Fred,

Does it look like the course will be done by Oct. 24? That is the date of the Ace Race / Day-Glow. We tend to play at Boone.
Tim Tim
Posted: Sunday, September 13, 2009 11:45:22 PM

I too was wondering about this...
Fred Salaz
Posted: Monday, September 14, 2009 9:59:30 AM

I'm meeting with them today will post update.
discndat
Posted: Monday, September 14, 2009 10:31:37 AM

I spoke with David Whitehouse on Friday and he said, "yes, the course will be ready" for our Ace Race Day Glo Mini Golf event om 10/24/09. Also, I told him we have a few people that would be willing to help out if needed and he said he'd let me know if he needed any help.
Otterbein_discgolf
Posted: Monday, October 05, 2009 11:42:55 AM

Dan/Fred/anyone that knows anything... I was just out at Boone yesterday and it looks like nothing (that I can see) has been done with the redesign of the course. Holes 12-17 are gone due to the creek restoration so there is only 12 playable holes at this time.

Does anyone know if they are working on it and if it will be done by the 24th? I see as of a month ago it should be but if no work has been done then it might be tough to get done in time.
discndat
Posted: Monday, October 05, 2009 3:30:48 PM

I've got a call in to David Whitehouse about it.  A couple of weeks ago he told me it would be ready for our event. The timeline at that time was to begin installing the new course the first week in October. I've seen the new drainage ditch/creek myself and don't know if they are on schedule or not. That's what I'm trying to find out. Hopefully I'll know more tomorrow.
Otterbein_discgolf
Posted: Tuesday, October 06, 2009 9:10:43 AM

Thanks for the update Dan.

I live about a mile away so if they need any help I would be glad to lend a hand.
discndat
Posted: Tuesday, October 06, 2009 10:57:02 AM

Well, David Whitehouse is out of town today and won't be back till tomorrow. I did let him know that we have some disc golfers that definitely would be willing to lend a hand with the course if they need it. He had said he'd let me know. I will keep you informed of what I find out.
discndat
Posted: Wednesday, October 07, 2009 1:17:03 PM

Just spoke with David and the tee pads are scheduled to go in next week and the course is scheduled to be finished by the Wednesday before our Ace Race Day Glow event. At this point in time they don't need any help, but if they get in a squeeze at some point we may put out the call for some help. Stay tuned...
Tim Tim
Posted: Thursday, October 08, 2009 5:50:21 PM

*stoked!*
discndat
Posted: Friday, October 16, 2009 3:58:39 PM

Well, it looks like our Ace Race Day Glow event will be the grand re-opening of Boone Woods. I spoke with David Whitehouse of Boone Co. Parks today and they plan to have the course completed by next Friday. Please don't go out until you hear that it is completed. As of right now there is nothing out there, no teepads, no baskets, no signs, not anything that resembles a disc golf course. They are working hard to get this done for us, so give them some room and some time. We will all get to play the new course next Saturday. I for one, cannot wait... but will.
morticite
Posted: Friday, October 30, 2009 4:15:41 PM

So is it ready? How's it play? I might head down there Sunday morning if it's playable. Thanks in advance.
discndat
Posted: Friday, October 30, 2009 6:08:17 PM

It's definitely a fun course. It is still a beginner friendly course. The first nine are more open and longer. The next 8 are shorter and some woods. Then you have a long 18 finishing hole. It is definitely up and ready to play. I actually went out and played a round and a half today in this beautiful weather. Too bad we won't have it tomorrow for the Scream.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2009 6:03:53 PM

Boone County is still looking for tee sign sponsors.  Maybe the club can sponsor one since a lot of club members play the course.
Just saying.

Dear Disc Golf Enthusiast, It is with great pleasure that we are able to announce the reconstruction of the Disc Golf Course at Boone Woods Park. Boone County Parks Department along with the NKU Center for Applied Ecology are proud to bring to our community and the Disc Golf community, this redesigned course. The project that made the Boone Woods Disc Golf Course reconstruction possible is, The Stream and Wetland Restoration Fund (Stream Fund). The Stream Fund is comprised of in-lieu fees paid by Department of Army permit tees as mitigation for unavoidable stream impacts in Northern Kentucky. The ultimate goal of the program is to improve stream and water quality. The Stream Fund is administered by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and the Kentucky Division of Water. The project is managed by the NKU Center for Applied Ecology. The Center identifies and assesses stream corridor restoration opportunities and implements plans to protect, enhance, restore and monitor sites. Through this project the Boone County Parks Department along with the NKU Center for Applied Ecology were able to purchase new Innova DISCatchers and install Tee Pads. The Boone County Parks Department has the #1 rated public Disc Golf Course in the country/world at England/Idlewild Park in Burlington. We believe that Boone Woods Disc Golf Course would be a great addition to Idlewild. I would like to take this opportunity to invite you to become a hole sponsor at the newly reconstructed Boone Woods Disc Golf Course. If you would like to receive more information or make a donation, please contact Jackie Heyenbruch at the Boone County Parks office at (859) 334-3569 or at jheyenbruch@boonecountyky.org. The cost to sponsor a hole is $100. The hole you sponsor will be marked with a permanent metal sign located on the tee pad, and will include the sponsor’s name(s). Please help support the Boone Woods Disc Golf Course reconstruction by becoming a sponsor. Thank you for your time. Sincerely, Jackie Heyenbruch Boone County Parks Department Marketing & Resources Coordinator 5958 Garrard Street Burlington, KY 41005 Would the GCFDA be interested in sponsoring a sign? [/quote]
L_Stephens
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2009 8:34:26 PM

Is the 'permanent metal sign' good for know until judgment day or only for x number of years or the life of the sign? I would sponsor #14 if it would be moved back and to the right 40+ feet. I would sponsor #15 if it would be moved to the left away from the play ground and lengthened 50+ feet....or #8 if it was backed up 50+ feet after the wetlands project grass comes in good.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2009 10:01:22 PM

Lee, I'll take that as a not interested in sponsoring? Whitehouse made the changes and they look to be permanent. Thank you for your support.
surgediscgolf
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2009 10:26:18 PM

Fred,

I'm in for one. I'd like to do something to promote the Cincy State course... ...like "Play the Copperleaf Disc Golf Course at Cincinnati State!" Could I do that?
Fred Salaz
Posted: Monday, December 14, 2009 10:45:03 PM

Paul, you bet. You can put whatever you want on the tee sign. Within reason of course and that looks fine to me.
Thanks
Big D
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 12:41:38 AM

Fred, are the tee hole signs going to be ready for spring
Fred Salaz
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 10:35:11 AM

According to what I was told the tee signs will be ready soon and the sponsor signs will go up as soon as they get all 18 tees sponsored. So there will be a tee sign and a seperate sponsor sign for each hole. Contact Boone County if interested at 859-334-3569. I beleive only 6 have been sold so far.
surgediscgolf
Posted: Tuesday, December 15, 2009 5:22:10 PM

Count me in. I'll drop off the money at the 'Nati if that is OK.