Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Harbin Course Challenge August 4, 2007 Options
bkaplan10
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2007 6:10:08 AM

New thread for this year's Harbin Course Challenge.  I will be TD'ing.  We have 4 temp holes, so, we need 4 baskets.  Who can bring a basket?
Ben Shooner
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2007 7:17:23 AM

I was planning on bringing one
bkaplan10
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2007 7:18:57 AM

Ben, a grill or a basket?
NEngle
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2007 7:34:48 AM

We would also need water coolers if anyone can bring them. Harbin gets hot!
bkaplan10
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2007 7:53:41 AM

I'll talk to Kindra at leagues and see if Hank is going to provide some coolers. Or, if Kindra gets on the website before then, maybe she can let us know.

NEngle
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2007 8:11:37 AM

Craig, there's a park grill at the shelter. You'd have to provide everything else.
Ben Shooner
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2007 8:21:20 AM

Quote:
bkaplan10 - 7/31/2007 7:18 AM

Ben, a grill or a basket?

a basket
Craig
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2007 2:00:38 PM

How's that work. Buy stuff with my money, sell whatever to get my money back then rest goes to the PIG.
NEngle
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2007 2:11:28 PM

yep
RodJah
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2007 3:56:51 PM

Hello. I'm new to this sport (2 months) and my skills are a bit sad at times. I was just wondering if a "course challenge" like this is what I need to get my feet wet, or is the atmosphere to serious for me?
Craig
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2007 5:11:35 PM

It would be perfect for you, these event are to help get Newer golfers into tournament play. You'll probably learn a lot just attending and seeing other golfers techniques.
andersab
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2007 5:16:35 PM

not to mention you'll get to play with experienced players in the am round, very helpful with a good group of people
MikeK
Posted: Wednesday, August 01, 2007 9:20:31 AM

I'm relatively new as well... played some back in college... but with only one really beat up Cobra (and not very often).

Decided to try to take it a little more seriously this summer and bought a few discs to try out. (If you check my other posts you'll realize I'm trying my best to lose them already.)

I, too, am thinking about making this weekend's course challenge my first foray into the real sport of disc golf (and not my friends and I making bad shots into the woods all by ourselves), and I think I've found the answers to most of my questions on the newbie guide I found on another thread and just by reading posts here... except one:

Do I need to have a mini-disc marker? I don't have one. If I do need one, is there someplace nearby where I could buy one before Saturday?

I also assume that if I don't have a strong grasp of OB rules, the people in my morning group could help me out.
Discgolfkid
Posted: Wednesday, August 01, 2007 9:36:29 AM

From the PDGA rules... "Mini marker discs shall be used to mark a player’s lie as required by these rules. Mini marker discs must have a diameter of between 7 and 15 centimeters and a height not exceeding 3 centimeters."

They're technically not needed for a course challenge but it's definitely a good idea. You can probably borrow one from someone on your card, or you might be able to purchase one at the shelter. Some people even suggest using an old CD if you don't have a mini.

Also, there's not much (if any?) OB at harbin, so not much to worry about there. I'm always glad to see new players at course challenges.
NEngle
Posted: Wednesday, August 01, 2007 9:42:23 AM

You should have & use a mini. If you do decide to come, I'll make sure there's one there for you. I'll give it to Brian Kaplan (he's the one that found your disc & is running the tournament Saturday).

The people in your first gruop will help you with anything they can. There is no OB at Harbin, so your safe there.
MikeK
Posted: Wednesday, August 01, 2007 9:47:39 AM

Thanks for the quick reply, discgolfkid.

So I might be able to buy one at the event? That would be good. If not, I'll try to bring a cd in case I can't borrow one. Thanks for the advice.

As far as OB, I was trying to look at the rules, and I think I generally play within most of the rules (I don't know all the technicalities, of course), except OB. My friends and I just throw from wherever the disc lands. I've heard that tree/weed areas can often be considered OB. We usually just go into the forested area and make what we consider to be a legal throw from wherever we find the disc (or directly below it if it ends up stuck on some branches... although I assume that might be illegal as well).

So, are the little patches of wooded area next to some of the Harbin holes considered OB? Or can you go in and make a legal toss out of there? I ask because I fully expect to end up in at least 2 wooded areas... oh wait, 2 rounds... at least 4 wooded areas during the CC (if I can make it).
MikeK
Posted: Wednesday, August 01, 2007 9:53:35 AM

Thanks, Nick. The help is very much appreciated!

Hopefully I'll see you this Saturday,
-Mike
Discgolfkid
Posted: Wednesday, August 01, 2007 10:28:58 AM

The woods are not OB, which means you have to mark your lie and take the best shot you can no matter how deep in the woods you are. As for being stuck in a branch, the TD has the option to declare whether or not the 2 meter rule in effect (it usually is not.) If it the 2 meter rule is not in effect, it means that you do not receive a penalty stroke for any disc stuck over 2 meters, you simply mark directly below it and play it from there. Prior to 2006, I believe, the 2 meter rule was a permanent rule, but since then it has been changed to make it the TD's choice.
RodJah
Posted: Wednesday, August 01, 2007 3:55:47 PM

It sounds like I won't be the only newbie on the course this Saturday. I look forward to throwing out of the woods with all of you....If I can find the courage to show up. I, too, would need a mini marker disc, although I have no idea what it's used for. Is there anything else I should know for this? I would like to look as though I've done it before, and avoid all of the akward stares.
OSU_Golfer
Posted: Wednesday, August 01, 2007 6:48:32 PM

Minis are used to mark where the disc lands (your lie). You just place it on the edge of your disc between your disc and the basket. Then you use your mini as your mark for where to stand on any shots after your drive from the tee. You will see once you get out to the course, and don't worry everyone, is really friendly and helpful. Course challenges are usually pretty laid back and they are a great learning experience for new players and a nice easy step up into the tournament atmosphere.

As far as getting a mini, I am sure lots of people will have extras. I will try and bring a few extra along in case anyone needs one.
DanH
Posted: Wednesday, August 01, 2007 10:40:06 PM

Brian, I'll bring my basket.
bkaplan10
Posted: Thursday, August 02, 2007 5:34:34 AM

Thanks Dan.
Craig
Posted: Thursday, August 02, 2007 7:23:35 AM

Sorry, I can't do lunch. I was offering to just help not take over. I don't have time with work to get the supplies, a cooler to keep the stuff in, or a car big enough to haul it. I thought about it, but just isn't possible for me. If somebody else wants to try I'd still be willing to help. Ran a kitchen for eight years, I hope I can still burn, I mean flip a burger.
mike_kemner
Posted: Friday, August 03, 2007 11:50:33 AM

I'll be bringing my basket in case it is needed. I won't be able to play because I pulled something in my back this week so I'll probably spot discs on C if that position isn't already taken.
bkaplan10
Posted: Friday, August 03, 2007 12:38:14 PM

That will be much appreciated Mike. I'm sure we can find something for you to do, even if C is taken.