Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

August 13th Meeting Options
KevinB
Posted: Thursday, August 09, 2007 1:49:34 PM

If there is no place for the meeting on Monday, and no one has heard from Paul, I can talk to Florence Y'all Gyros and Wings about getting their side room again for the meeting.
Please advise.
Kool Keith
Posted: Thursday, August 09, 2007 1:57:24 PM

Kevin, Talk to AJ about it. The sooner we can find a place and get it confirmed, the better attendance MIGHT be.

This is ridiculous.
NEngle
Posted: Thursday, August 09, 2007 4:10:15 PM

Bill, It's in the phone book. OR, click on the Flying Pig button from the main page & it is there. It is also on the flyer, in DGWN, on the PDF on the front page....
Administrator
Posted: Thursday, August 09, 2007 7:02:37 PM

The Aug 13th meeting will be at the Silverton Cafe

http://www.silvertoncafe.com/
7201 Montgomery Road
Cincinnati, OH 45236
791-2922

Take I-71
Exit at Stewart Rd (exit 10)
Take the ramp toward SILVERTON.
Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto STEWART RD / STEWART AVE. Continue to follow STEWART RD.
Turn LEFT onto MONTGOMERY RD / US-22 / OH-3
Cafe is on the right after approx. 1/2 mile
pcaldwell
Posted: Thursday, August 09, 2007 8:02:00 PM

Deductions are tax deductable. The GCFDA is a non-profit organization - the Ohio non-profit number is 1682240. Greater Cincinnati Flying Disc Association.

Bill I'll try to give you a call tomorrow. We just got back from Thursday Ultimate and dinner and I'll be in the car for a while tomorrow on the way to the Ohio State Fair....the pig barn ought to be ripe tomorrow!

NEngle
Posted: Thursday, August 16, 2007 11:37:20 AM

Minutes for the Aug 13th meeting...

File Attachment(s):
GCFDAAug132007minutes.doc (7kb) downloaded 5 time(s).

bkaplan10
Posted: Thursday, August 16, 2007 1:22:48 PM

The Ohio Causality Group? :-) It should be interesting to see what happens there. OCG has been sold to Liberty Mutual.
STEVO
Posted: Thursday, August 16, 2007 2:29:38 PM

Thanks for recording and posting the minutes. Very helpful in keeping us updated about what's going on....and it reminds me I'm sorry I missed the meeting.
frizgolf
Posted: Thursday, August 16, 2007 5:14:45 PM

We damn near ran 'em out of import beers.
Liz
Posted: Saturday, August 18, 2007 5:28:43 AM

Re: the website, what responsibilities will Brad, Dave, Dan and Mike have?
Kool Keith
Posted: Saturday, August 18, 2007 6:31:24 AM

Hopefully full access - that's a damn sharp group of individuals there, and having multiple persons with access to edit, create, and update information on the website, along with an outlet for their creative talents means we could have a GREAT website.

We have a decent website now as it is, with some GREAT features (eg gMap/course finder integration). But, with the lack of updates, especially on the home page, and CCS info taking seemingly forever, I agree with Mr. Engle that there is a need to have more people involved in the site's development and maintenance. There may have been other factors at play too...

Hopefully Paul can bring these guys on quickly and they can get to sprucing things up around here. I'd LOVE to see a redesign of the front page, along with fixing the formula for estimated ratings in the CCS scores and info page.
Liz
Posted: Sunday, August 19, 2007 2:03:59 PM

So, when will these guys be able to put their knowledge to use? I have a couple items for them to consider implementing - Dayton's website uses pictures from tournaments, which I think is great, I'd also like to see something on the front page about Rebecca Cox breaking the distance record and I also have asked for a survey to be up and the results sent to me for the next newsletter, so if any of them could let me know whether or not they can help me out, I'd appreciate it. thanks
Kool Keith
Posted: Sunday, August 19, 2007 7:25:01 PM

That is completely up to Paul - he needs to give these guys access.
DanH
Posted: Monday, August 20, 2007 11:54:35 PM

It's funny. I don't remember volunteering for this job. The reason being I have a good idea of what kind of headaches and time Paul must go through to maintain this thing. The website has it's faults, but it's still better than 95% of the club websites I've seen, and I know it takes a lot of effort. So thank you, Paul.

However, since there seems to be a need for something bigger, better, faster, and stronger; I think we 4 (and any other members with good web experience?) are up to the task. We have talked internally, and I think we have a consensus about one thing at least. If we take this one, we will use a new software platform instead of trying to modify the existing website.

The only reason we will need access to the current site is to migrate content and database records to the new system when it is ready. We will need Paul's help with the migration. Although we have not picked a platform yet, whatever we choose will be some kind of widely supported open source, database driven "community software"/"content managment system". The idea is that administrative roles can be divided and/or assigned to more than one person per page and/or module. So while we may have only a handful of technology admins, the content is in the hands of whomever is assigned access (somewhat like the existing calendar access except on a greater scale). You won't need to be a programmer to update the website in other words. In all fairness, the site uses something similar right now, MegaBBS, but the candidates we are looking at are a couple generations newer with more features and better supported.

The bad news: This whole development project is not going to happen over night. In fact, it might be a good fall (or even winter) project depending on how much time we're able to devote to it. But if we do it, you'll get all that great stuff mentioned and more.

Administrator
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2007 4:29:04 AM

Thanks Dan! Funny how that happens. The existing site: Since it's not anyone's full time job to update this, updates don't happen every day or every week. Still, I try to get to it. Lately that time has been less and less and information in spots has been more dated. In particular, people have mentioned the front page and course maps. The front page does some updating on it own but some of the teasers are old. Another comment on this was to add more graphics. IMHO, a couple are nice but they are interesting about ONE time. After that, people look for content. Using a "newspaper" look with short teasers and links to further content offers access to a lot of information quickly. Also, I do believe that there are still a good number of golfers out there with dial up and it's good to be sensitive to that fact. As far as maps go, an full color overhead view would be nice. However this is generally impractical to print. All the course maps that I made started with an overhead view to ensure scale and general accuracy of hole location relative to other structures in the park. People playing a course for the time first time do print the layout so they can tell where the next hole would be. Having both a full color and a printable version would be ideal. I'll have to see if I can find the overhead shots I used. Possible future site: I like the idea that you are bouncing around about a fully integrated site and it would probably be better to start from scratch and simply pull in content. Having something that spreads the work around would be certainly lighten the load from any one person. Yep, Updates and edits certainly are more attractive for the winter months when we are generally stuck inside. Dan - agreed. It would be a quite an undertaking to do this. :homeimp I'll help if and/or when anything should come up. Along those lines, a tour of the current site and discussion of key items (scope) would be good to go over first. If you have any ideas that could be implemented within the existing site (and perhaps help in a future effort), please let me know.
DISCfunctional
Posted: Tuesday, August 21, 2007 6:08:49 PM

I have a crazy idea. Would this work?? How about we use MYSPACE to make nicer display of our courses and just have links to them on our front page. Hell use there server/space.

They are easy to make. Look Great. You can put a ton of info, blogs, pics, videos. course records, friends
I think that could be pretty cool, has any other disc golf club done it????

Myspace/deuceordie
Myspace/Flyingpig
Myspace/mtaireydiscgolfcourse
Myspace/heritagediscgolfcourse
Myspace/Harbindiscgolfcourse

I bet if we all tackled a course it could be done in a couple weeks or so??