Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Cabin Creek Options
edge
Posted: Thursday, August 09, 2007 5:20:01 AM

I am sure it is not news to you folks that Cabin Creek is now a paintball only thing. Apparently some of the last disc golfers damaged the paintball course and the owner decided to stop allowing people to play disc golf there.

What I would like to hear about is what the course was like in it's prime. I thought it was once one of the premiere courses and was used when Cincy hosted the Worlds tourney many years ago.

Was it a hard course? Any ace holes? Nice layout?

Any stories to share?

bobherb
Posted: Thursday, August 09, 2007 11:09:07 AM

It was VERY nice, with many challenging par 3's (tough to deuce), and a few par 4's. Many holes had multiple pin placements. There was a decent variety of lefty and righty holes, wooded and open holes, a few water hazards, a little O.B., some ace holes, gently rolling hills, etc. It was used for the 1998 Worlds final course. Ken Climo jumped into the pond on the last hole after defeating "Spiderman" Scott Stokely. A great score was probably about a 45 depending on the pin locations. Approximate length was about 6300 ft. I hope it is not permanently gone. The Erkenbreckers (who own the farm) are great folks.
edge
Posted: Thursday, August 09, 2007 12:24:57 PM

Quote:
bobherb - 8/9/2007 11:09 AM

Ken Climo jumped into the pond on the last hole after defeating "Spiderman" Scott Stokely.

wow, what a thrill it would have been to watch Climo and Stokely play........

On a side-note, Stokely came to winton woods many years ago and put on a clinic and played a round of doubles with us (sponsored by the GCFDA). Paul Dumont and I beat Stokely and my son by a stroke to win. I still is a great memory for us.

I also recall Fishnet hitting an ace on #5 right in front of Stokely too :shades
crikwife
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2007 6:07:12 AM

The course at Cabin Creek is indeed closed to the public but it is not completely closed. If you have a lifetime membership or have been playing up here for years and are friends of the family it is still available for play. Just call and make arrangements like usual.

I apologize to those who have come up for years and supported us and called to set up a tee time and I told you we were closed for golf. But if you called and didn't say who you were I just say the course is closed. I have had numerouse people call and say I know you are closed but what can I do to come up and golf. Well, the answer is simple. Find someone who has a lifetime membership or who are friends of the family and tag along with them. The people who supported us respect our property and we trust them. If they bring you, we know they will not let anything happen to our property.

With the last round of vandalism at the course it was decided that we have way to much money invested in the paintball fields to have someone we don't know come in and damage them. Paintball pays the bills not golf. Also the way things are in the world today it is just not safe to have someone we don't know coming out to our home when Scott, Bill, or the boys are not here.

As a whole, golfers are great people. But as with any sport you do have your share of bad eggs and it only takes one to spoil it for everyone. The course is still here and is played by Midge and Bill every couple of weeks. It will not be going anywhere. We are not completely closing it. We are just being a little more careful who plays it.

Next year we are thinking about possibly opening it up once a month for the day for open golf and having someone out on the course to make sure nothing happens. This will give everyone the opportunity to come play the course.

Scott and Jeanne Erkenbrecher
2Timer
Posted: Saturday, August 11, 2007 4:51:00 PM

We'll be alright.....by paintball fields she meant discgolf fairways. I understand they want to shut it down because of vandelism, but there really wasn't a discgolf course left there to play. I played a Dayton CC there a few years ago and it was a mess. They completely let the course go and the fairways were filled with paintball obstacles. It really wasn't worth the drive up there.
frizgolf
Posted: Sunday, August 12, 2007 8:48:18 AM

Thanks for the reply, Scott and Jeanne.
I understand the income priorities, and it's a testament to your love of the game that the baskets haven't been pulled, and the fairways are still maintained where paintball doesn't occur.
I will still come up from time to time, and it's always a pleasure to see you.
finnhawc
Posted: Sunday, August 12, 2007 7:59:13 PM

Yes, thank you-perhaps for 2010 we might want to talk about this course as a draw for some folks. I've heard Julianna Korver, Al Sugar Shack, Ken Climo, and Scott Stokely all talk about this course with praise. Maybe a little more honey to attract distant disc golf bees.
pcaldwell
Posted: Sunday, August 12, 2007 8:11:32 PM

At least one of those people still play tournaments....
STEVO
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2007 8:37:46 AM

Pete, I know what you're saying. It's amazing that, even at the highest levels of DG, there's still that much player turnover. Those are some big names that don't seem to be around anymore. I still remember watching with astonishment as Scott Stokley, in the 98' Worlds finals at Cabin Creek, drove from 12's teepad all the way to 14's long pin placement (approx. 500+ ft.) for a deuce, then skipped a tomahawk across the water on the final hole (regular short 17) for another deuce....

Scott/Jeanne, anyone who was around back in those days to play Cabin Creek when it was in its prime, knows what an unbelievable jewel it was. It was the most enjoyable course around. A lot of us are grateful that you are willing to keep it open in ANY capacity.

Steve Mahl

p.s. I think that the children's fortress wall that guards 8's basket enhances that hole :smile
crikpaintball
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2007 9:34:18 AM

Oh my god. Is Cincy getting the worlds again in 2010? Who's volunteered to get the ulcer this time?

Thanks for all the love everyone. We miss you all. Unfortunately short of winning the lottery there is no possible way to restore Cabin Creek to it's former glory. It would be way too much money and work to remove all evidence of paintball so that we could host another Worlds and then everything would need put back. And if it wasn't for paintball we'd have to sell the property and that would mean the end of the golf course too.

I guess we need to be happy with what's left of the course. It's just a shame that vandals forced us to close the course to everyone except friends and family.

Scott
PDGA# 2210
Anyone left in Cincy with a lower number?

finnhawc
Posted: Monday, August 13, 2007 9:45:01 AM

I'll have to come check out the "mess" for myself then. Stokely is no longer fit(back) to play Julianna will be back and I'm sure Al will play again if we as a sport crack down on these superbrats out there. My point was that since they were talking about it with little old me then I'm sure that many others have as well.