Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Shoes Good for Disc Golf Options
BIGBOY
Posted: Thursday, August 09, 2007 5:35:04 PM

I am buying a new pair of shoes for disc golf. These shoes by Garmont look they will be good for me. The name of the shoe is the NAGEVI XCR and it has Gore-Tex XCR. It is a light hiking shoe and they also have the same model without gor-tex if you like. I am getting them at Shoebuy.com. If anyone is interested in getting a new pair of shoes let me know. If I refer you to the site by sending you a referral through their web site you can get a coupon code for 10% off your purchase. Also if you sign up on their site you will get an additional 10% off of your first purchase. Plus they have free shipping and free return shipping if they do not fit or if you do not like them. I have bought from them in the past and I would highly recommend them. Here is the link for the shoe.

http://www.shoebuy.com/garmont-nagevi-xcr/184068

I will give a full report of what I think about this shoe when I get it.
BIGBOY
Posted: Tuesday, August 14, 2007 4:58:31 PM

I recently got my shoes that I described above and they are a little too big. I am ordering a second pair that is a half size smaller. I am getting ready to send them back but wanted to check and see if anyone would be interested in buying them from me. I payed $98 and some change. I have free return shipping so it is no skin off my back to send them back so if you are interested let me know soon. They are gore-tex and sweet...let me know soon.

kuhns
BIGBOY
Posted: Tuesday, October 02, 2007 1:19:34 PM

Just wanted to give a little review regarding the Garmont shoes list above. So far I have played close to 30 rounds in these shoes and they are holding up very well. They still look like new and the support throughout the shoe is still good. In the past, after a round or two my feet hurt and I could not wait to take my shoes off. With these shoes I forget they are even on my feet. I have played all day and my feet no longer hurt. I played in a tournament last weekend and the grass was wet the entire first round and my feet stayed completely dry. These are the most comfortable light hiking/disc golf shoes I have owned.

First Glance........When I first took them out of the box and put them on I thought they felt a little tight in the front of the shoe. Actually, if I would have tried these on in a store I would not have bought them. After two days on my feet, I had broke them in a little and they feel great now. The toe box has lots of room for toe wiggle. These shoes also are a little heavier than running shoes but that is because they are light hikers. There is a lot of rubber on the front half of the shoe but that is the man reason I bought them. I tend to drag my feet across the tee pad as I throw and this tears up running shoes.

Fit.... My foot is a C width, but is on the bigger side of a C. C is also referred to by some shoe manufactures as medium width. I tend to like wider shoes and I am surprised at how well this shoe feels on my foot. Like I said earlier it will take a few days to break in this shoe so it might feel snug the first few days. Stick with it and you will love it.

Final Thought.........After playing many rounds in these shoes I would highly recommend this shoe to anyone. It is extremely comfortable and very durable so far. The soles will leave a black mark on the tee if you drag the sole. My feet have kept dry but any GORTEX shoe does tend to leak at the stiches over time. I will post if water does ever enter the shoe. In the last tournament I also played with these shoes on dirt tees and had no problems with slipage off the tee. If you do not want GORTEX you can get this shoe without for about 20 dollars cheaper than its GORTEX brother. These shoes retail for $115.00 but with rebates and discounts I bought them for $88 with free shipping on shoebuy.com.

Questions....If you have any questions about these shoes please do not hesitate to post something.

Disclaimer....I am an average disc golfer that loves the sport and most people that play. I do not work for shoebuy.com. Garmont, or GORETEX. These opinions are my own and I have not been paid to give this review. I just want to help you get the next best product so you can have more fun on your next disc golf outing.

Kuhns
Fred Salaz
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2007 6:23:45 AM

"toe wiggle" Coming from you that sounds funny.
colin_hurley
Posted: Wednesday, October 03, 2007 8:15:52 PM

Garmont is a good brand of shoes if they fit you correctly. I work part time at Benchmark Outfitters in Blue Ash and we sell Garmont and a bunch of other Gore-Tex shoes that would be awesome for disc golf. In fact we are going to start selling discs this fall. Just thought I'd mention it since there aren't many places around town that sell light hikers.
edge
Posted: Thursday, October 04, 2007 4:46:36 AM

Where in Blue Ash are you?

Quote:
colin_hurley - 10/3/2007 8:15 PM

Garmont is a good brand of shoes if they fit you correctly. I work part time at Benchmark Outfitters in Blue Ash and we sell Garmont and a bunch of other Gore-Tex shoes that would be awesome for disc golf. In fact we are going to start selling discs this fall. Just thought I'd mention it since there aren't many places around town that sell light hikers.
discnforfun
Posted: Thursday, October 04, 2007 5:56:04 AM

They're in the shopping center in the southwest corner of the intersection of Cooper Road and Kenwood Road in Blue Ash. I'm on my second pair of ASOLO goretek light hikers that I bought from them. I love these shoes. The tread works great on tee pads and on grass/dirt terrain. They weigh practically nothing, keep my feet toasty dry. I play 1500+ holes a year and my first pair lasted almost two years before the side meshing failed. They are guaranteed for the first year. Very nice shoes. I think the cost with tax was around $127.00.
colin_hurley
Posted: Saturday, October 06, 2007 9:33:19 AM

Ya... What he said. I've got the same Asolos. They're great!
DiscHead
Posted: Friday, August 15, 2008 3:09:21 PM

Being right-handed...i tend to drag the inside of my left foot across the pad at the end of my follow through. The resulting friction destroys the inside toe area of my left shoe long-before any comparable damage to my right shoe. I've tried to make a conscious effort to NOT drag my foot after my release, but it was kinda gettin' in my head so i gave up. Anyways i've been trying to buy less expensive shoes lately, since i go through 'em so fast. The pair that i currently wear, i purchased at Kohl's--on sale for $29. They're an Aviar Hiking Shoe...pretty impressed with'em so far. http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/shoes/mens/athletic/hikingwalking/PRD~269488/Avia+6099+Hiking+Shoes.jsp
DiscHead
Posted: Friday, August 15, 2008 3:15:14 PM

...i guess that you have to type in the last part of the URL to get to my link (pictures & prices)  shrug
mikekem
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2008 8:20:22 AM

There is a url link button when you create a message for these kinda of situations when the board isn't smart enough to capture the entire link. I fixed it for you.
DiscHead
Posted: Sunday, August 17, 2008 2:59:28 PM

Thanks mikekem...your assistance is appreciated  nod
Otterbein_discgolf
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2008 1:44:46 PM

I have a pair of Vasque Blur XCR's and so far they have been awesome. I got them from http://www.geartrade.com for a very good price. Retail is $120 but I got mine for $43 thumbsup
Ben Shooner
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2008 2:09:45 PM

I switched to running shoes at the beginning of this year after wearing hiking shoes for quite a while. The switch has really helped my footwork. Sure it's a little trickier when trudging through the rough...but that's even more incentive to keep it in the fairway.
Bryan
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2008 5:12:56 PM

I did the same as Ben this year. It seems to have helped with my footwork as well. Most hiking shoes I have seen and worn seem to have more thickness in the heels as well as it being very stiff. That tends to put the foot into more of an angle with the toes being much lower than the heel. I didn't notice as much of a problem when just standing to throw an upshot. The tee is where I have noticed the biggest difference.

Now, if the rest of my game would come in line, putting, control....you get the idea. Maybe I will one day be a contender......
BIGBOY
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2008 8:57:15 PM

Bryan...the reason that running shoes work so well for Ben is because of his Pirouette off the end of the tee pad. The lighter weight of the shoes help him maintain proper form off the tee. If I were to score his Pirouette, I would give him an 8.5 but maybe the lighter shoes will help him score a 10!!! Way to go, Benny!!!!
GStrick
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2008 7:49:02 AM

There is something to say about hiking shoes and boots. I don't play a ton of disc but I do try to play year round maybe once a week if lucky. I switch from boots (work boots bought at Red Wing) to running shoes and there is a noticeable difference in my shot. I feel that the extra weight with boots helps me plant my foot on any of my run up shots, that includes my drives. It might take away some of my "D" but I feel I have more control. When I switch to running shoes in April or May there is a week or two when I need to get everything back in line. Anyone that has played a round with me lately will attest that this year it's taken more than a week or two.
perica
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2008 6:14:21 PM

blakely told me that wearing the merrel sandals he has kept him from dragging his foot on the teepad.
finnhawc
Posted: Wednesday, August 20, 2008 9:33:11 PM

Solomon have very nice top-of-toe pads and are very lightweight. Bite makes a disc golf specific shoe that has extra top of shoe material as well. Blakely? Who is Blakely?
Jokerman
Posted: Saturday, August 30, 2008 9:53:49 PM

I am glad I found this thread. I was going to start my own. I'll add it here.

I wear running shoes when I play. I have found that both pairs I own have began to wear severely on the inside left foot of the shoe. I think its were I plant that foot for the final launch of the X step. Really have worn them down and basically did a new pair of shoes in b/c of the wear on them. They are Asics running shoes. I have always considered them good shoes.

Any suggestions on why the wear or what you would recommend for a good shoe beyond the afore mentioned?
matthew_blakely
Posted: Sunday, August 31, 2008 8:41:48 PM

AT one point I dragged both feet on the tee-pad. I would drag my left toe when throwing backhands and my right foot when throwing forehands.

I bought a pair of Keen sandals and play in them all the time. It is amazing how quickly you will stop a bad habit when you know it will hurt yourself. I love them for playing in this heat.

I have bought and still by Trail Running shoes to play in. I have bought Solomans, Northface, La Sportiva, Inov 8, Merrel, Montrail, and more. I think about the only brand I haven't tried is Vasque. They are all good shoes, but plain and simple shoes aren't made to handle the side to side action disc golfers put on shoes.

The longest lasting shoes I have had were a pair of Nike gore-tek one's back in the day. They were uncomfortable though in comparision to most of the shoes I have bought and worn since. Merrel makes some pretty heavy duty shoes though too depending on the kind you buy.

Salomon and Bite both support disc golf so I would suggest them.
13ruce-1337
Posted: Monday, September 01, 2008 1:39:07 PM

Bite shoes suck the phat one .. 1st pair i bought ripped in the first week.. they were replaced but i lost the damaged pair and had to buy the replacement pair. These only lasted about 8 months of pretty hard wear .. you can now see right through the damn things. I would not suggest these to my worst enemy. Salomon however i have heard nothing but good things about.
Otterbein_discgolf
Posted: Tuesday, September 02, 2008 10:31:17 AM

Vasque is where its at... I have put them through hell and back and they still look brand new.
bobherb
Posted: Monday, September 08, 2008 11:26:39 AM

I have some Salomon's I have used for several years and they still have plenty of tread left.
I did not realize everyone has a different way of dragging there feet on the tees.
I pivot on my right toe and lift and swing my left foot aroung after release.
Phil Miller
Posted: Monday, April 27, 2009 3:30:50 PM

I have the bite boots and I agree they aren't the greatest. I recently bought a pair of montrails that are pretty nice. I have played about 20 or so rounds in them and they are holding up well. I tend to drag my left foot as well and wear out the inside toe. I have found that shoe goo which is basically a rubber paste will help prolong the life of my shoes.I just apply it to the worn area in a couple of layers.  I used ot use it on my skate shoes when I was a little skate rat back in the day.