Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Contest for new GCFDA logo! Options
Liz
Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2007 4:42:23 AM

Attention all graphic/artist peeps: At last night's club meeting, we decided it was time for a change in our GCFDA logo, so we voted on having a contest and letting the members vote on which logo they like the best. If you're interested, please submit your design to me via email at lizshooner@yahoo.com, deadline for submission is December 9th (day before our December meeting). The winner will receive $50 in club "cash", which can be used for a lifetime membership or anything up to $50 from the club vendor. So....get those brains working and let's see some cool artwork!!! :bounce
BIGBOY
Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2007 9:17:41 AM

Can someone post the current logo, to give all an idea of what is current.
discndat
Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2007 11:38:22 AM

I think this is the current one. I'm trying but it won't let me attach. I'll try to do something.
discndat
Posted: Tuesday, October 09, 2007 11:46:35 AM

I think I have to be a moderator to attach so I sent it to Liz - I'm sure she'll put it up when she has a chance.
Liz
Posted: Wednesday, October 10, 2007 4:32:36 AM

Let's see if this works....
DanH
Posted: Wednesday, October 10, 2007 11:36:01 AM

Sorry I didn't make it to the meeting to bring this up earlier (was buying a car), but shouldn't we have some specifications to meet for a logo design? For example, it should probably be a vector art graphic rather than raster (pixels). Or if it is raster, then it should have a minimum size and resolution, so when it is blown up for a banner or stamp or whatever, it still looks good. I am certainly no graphics expert, so I'm not sure how much I can help, but I know enough that I think we will need some guidelines or else we'll be left with a logo that won't work for some things.

Maybe a better way to approach this is to make a list of things it will be used for, and check the vendor's graphics requirements for those items:

Banner
T-Shirts
Discs
Website graphics
Bumper/Window Stickers
Mugs/Glasses

Anything else?
bobherb
Posted: Wednesday, October 10, 2007 11:48:56 AM

Nice input/forward thinking Dan!
BIGBOY
Posted: Wednesday, October 10, 2007 1:04:11 PM

DanH, is there any good software out there for designing logo's and artwork that is not too expensive. Something that anyone could have fun with and not spend and arm and a leg.
DanH
Posted: Wednesday, October 10, 2007 2:08:10 PM

Actually, the choice is probably between free or very expensive.

Vector Art: Illustrator for very expensive or Inkscape for free.
Raster Art: Photoshop for very expensive or GIMP for free.

I have never used Inkscape or GIMP, but they are probably the best open source (free) competitors of the commercial stuff. Brad Anderson might be able to validate this or add more. He's more into open source stuff than me. There are Mac, Unix, and Windows versions for both.
Lingo1976
Posted: Wednesday, October 10, 2007 2:51:17 PM

aaaaahhhhhh thank goodness my MAC is loaded with the newest Adobe Creative Suite3. If anyone has a Mac and needs some software let me know, I'm sure I have an extra version of Illustrator and Photoshop here somewhere. In regards to the resolution I will be doing mine at or near 300 dpi. However with the right equipment anything can be fixed. Also I would say to do the logo at about 10in x 5in. Cause there will be more shrinking don't than enlarging and will look better. As for having things like shirts and stickers made the mixture of colors will be more of a factor than the resolution. I think in that case that down the road the logo can be altered to fit the needs. In that aspect I think that a B/W version would be a good idea to submit along with the color version.

I do remember speaking at the meeting about the possibility of changing the clubs name to Cincinnati Disc Golf or something of that sort. Wouldn't be a good idea to decide on that before everyone spends time doing a new logo? I will be doing a few logos of both simply because I enjoy it. lol

"Chuck Norris aces every hole when he plays disc golf!!!!!"

J-son
mike_kemner
Posted: Wednesday, October 10, 2007 9:04:37 PM

How do you post an attachment here?

I'll post it on flickr until I figure out the attachment situation.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14869347@N06/1538573381/

I realize the file is not optimized. This was something I whipped up when I got home. I can make it more efficient later. Let me know if there are any problems seeing it. I've never used flickr before.

Lingo1976
Posted: Wednesday, October 10, 2007 9:29:21 PM

How about like this............. do the img src html code Mike Kemners logo
mike_kemner
Posted: Wednesday, October 10, 2007 9:36:07 PM

Thanks Lingo. Got it!
Lingo1976
Posted: Wednesday, October 10, 2007 9:47:27 PM

no prob...... what did you use to create that?
mike_kemner
Posted: Wednesday, October 10, 2007 9:49:17 PM

illustrator
BIGBOY
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2007 5:46:26 AM

Good job Mike.....
mike_kemner
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2007 7:13:32 AM

Here is another one. My poor idle mind couldn't stop. I think maybe the chains didn't come out right. It may take some tweaking. removed.

BIGBOY
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2007 7:48:04 AM

Keep'em coming...Looks GGGRREAT!
mike_kemner
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2007 9:25:53 AM

ok, last one. I've got to put this down.

I edited this one a little bit.
Liz
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2007 9:31:11 AM

Dan you are speaking Greek to me! If you'd like to set up some specific requirements for the logo, go ahead, it sounds like you know more than anyone else who voted on it what those would be.

Quote:
DanH - 10/10/2007 2:36 PM

Sorry I didn't make it to the meeting to bring this up earlier (was buying a car), but shouldn't we have some specifications to meet for a logo design? For example, it should probably be a vector art graphic rather than raster (pixels). Or if it is raster, then it should have a minimum size and resolution, so when it is blown up for a banner or stamp or whatever, it still looks good. I am certainly no graphics expert, so I'm not sure how much I can help, but I know enough that I think we will need some guidelines or else we'll be left with a logo that won't work for some things.

Maybe a better way to approach this is to make a list of things it will be used for, and check the vendor's graphics requirements for those items:

Banner
T-Shirts
Discs
Website graphics
Bumper/Window Stickers
Mugs/Glasses

Anything else?
Liz
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2007 9:32:41 AM

Wow Mike those all look great, didn't realize you were so artsy-fartsy! Looks like we'll have some decisions to make at the next club meeting! thanks!
Lingo1976
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2007 4:39:14 PM

My first try at it.... more to come I'm sure
NEngle
Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2007 8:13:56 PM

Bring it on! I like the one we have now, but these are great too!
discndat
Posted: Friday, October 12, 2007 6:04:27 AM

I do think Dan H is right - we need to decide what we need the logo for and as Jason said also, do we want the logo to be GCFDA or cincinnatidiscgolf.com? Most people for the last 5-7 years have probably not seen our current logo or even really knew we had one. I've kinda forgotten about our logo for sure. We don't use it on much of anything that I know of. Most readers of this board know us as cincinnatidisgolf.com. It would be good to hear from some of you out there as to what you think about a name and logo for our club/site. Go for it.
mike_kemner
Posted: Friday, October 12, 2007 6:50:32 AM

I agree with you Dan B, most people probably do know us as CincinnatiDiscGolf.com. But if we go in that direction what is the logo really being used for? Having a CincinnatiDiscGolf.com logo would limit its use probably the Web page. That is unless we want to be more known as Cincinnati Disc Golf.com, in which case we could use the .com logo on anything like banners, cups, discs, ect.

If we're going to use something like CDGC or CDGA we should decide on that before the logo is finalized. I think I understand the reasons for naming the club GCFDA but it is a little wordy. Telling somebody you're from the Greater Cincinnati Flying Disc Association is a lot to say. But this isn't something that we're going to be able to decide over a message board.