Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Some things to think about when making logos. Options
T_Vincent
Posted: Thursday, October 25, 2007 7:47:18 PM

I know that I have been a member of the GCFDA for just a short time (1 year), but I have been in the sign industry for almost ten years. I have seen a number of logos, many good, some bad and a few that should never have seen the light of day. I bring this up to give a few pointers for when you design a logo for the club.

The biggest question is what are we going to be using the logo for?

For decals, t-shirts (like the flying pig shirts), hot stamps on discs and some banners, a full color logo will work. Just remember that if we want a banner with this logo the image needs to be VERY large. Minimum 10Mg so it can look right and not be jagged looking. Also the t-shirts, hot stamps and banners will be more expensive in this form.

If we went with a simple one or two color logo. Our costs would be much lower, and there would be fewer things we would not be able to do.

Next is file format (Some of this may be hard to understand, I will do me best to explain).

If we are using Adobe Photoshop or a similar program, we are dealing with raster artwork. The image is full of pixels. As the image gets bigger it gets pixelated or has that jagged edge look. A few of the logo designs above this post are of this type. Personally I think these would make great decals, or maybe even a hot stamp. A banner with those logos could be harder to read from a distance.

The other major program is Adobe Illustrator. This program works with vector art. As the logo is enlarged, there is no pixelation and the file size does not get larger either. The logo on the current banner is in vector format. Many of the decals on cars that just have the lettering (No clear or white around the letters) are also in vector format. The black and white logos on the first page are of this type. These logos are just easier to work with. We can make the shirts that have the little logo on the upper left part of the shirt or we can make the logo huge. The raster logo would not work well in a very small form.

There is also nothing saying that we can't have two logos. We do now. The decals that Liz gives out are different than the logo that is on the banner. So we could have a decal with the Cityscape, and a banner with a different logo.

I know I have put out a lot of information. If you have questions about my post, send an E-mail or you can talk to me at the Banklick Course Challange.

Tony Vincent

BIGBOY
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2007 5:20:38 AM

Thanks for the insight, Tony.
discndat
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2007 6:32:27 AM

Thanks Tony. That's really helpful info. What sign company? Maybe we can use your company some time.
NEngle
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2007 8:50:24 AM

Seems to me that we use it more for print than anything. Scorecards, boardcards, programs, CCS awards, stickers...
Liz
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2007 10:41:17 AM

Tony works for Fast Signs in Florence, definitely a good connection for our club.
DanH
Posted: Friday, October 26, 2007 11:40:44 AM

Thank you Tony. I was trying to touch on the same stuff in the original thread about vector vs raster and what programs to use. I don't think everyone understood though. It's nice to have a professional to explain it more.

For the reasons Tony touched on, I agree that the logo should be simple with only a couple colors. Something that you can shrink down and blow up and print on a variety of things.

There's nothing to say we can't make some elaborate full color image to stylize something that much more. But our logo itself needs to be kept simple and portable. Look at all the famous logos out there: GM, Ford, 3M, Nike, Apple, Cincinnati Reds, I could go on forever. Logos by their definition are simple, easily recognized, and memorable.

So let's see some more ideas, but keep in mind the limitations.