Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Disc Golf For Nintendo Wii? Options
Dellahyam
Posted: Friday, November 02, 2007 7:59:06 AM

Craig
Posted: Monday, November 05, 2007 7:09:18 AM

Might just have to buy a gaming system soon.
East4dg
Posted: Friday, November 09, 2007 6:41:53 AM

Just remember to write your name & PDGA # on the controller in case you loose it.
BIGBOY
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2007 2:28:58 PM

Got an email from the PDGA today stating that the Disc Golf Game for Wii will be out this coming year. I have played the Wii and it is a lot of fun. Graphics are not the best but you buy this system for the game play and not the graphics.
discnforfun
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2007 12:56:56 PM

I talked to the developer about a month ago to see if they were looking for any beta testers (unfortunately not) and he confirmed that they had begun development in earnest. If this is developed as well as it could be it could be a lot of fun. Hopefully they don't elect to make it a real basic game.
Ben Shooner
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2008 2:03:17 PM

I had my 1st Wii session last night and the system would be a perfect fit for a disc golf game. On the horseshoe, tennis, and ball golf games-it really seems to sense when you deliver a smooth clean release and 'feel it down through your feet'. These same mechanics definitely apply to DG. If this comes to market it would not only be a huge piece of PR for the sport...but it could be a GREAT training tool.
Otterbein_discgolf
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2008 2:46:18 PM

There is rumors that it might be unveiled at Worlds this year if they can get the development done in time. I will buy a Wii just for this game if it turns out as cool as it sounds like it might. They were talking about using some real courses and then some made up fantasy courses. It would be sweet... I think I would skip cold weather golf if it turned out well :)
andersab
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2008 2:56:15 PM

The last email that I got from some of the developers was that it was a possibility... They were also trying to make sure that the content was solid (i.e. real courses)...
Ben Shooner
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2008 2:57:19 PM

Otterbein_discgolf wrote:
I think I would skip cold weather golf

I already skip it-to the detriment of my game. Hopefully this could keep the old muscle memory from being so forgetful.
DanH
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2008 2:57:35 PM

I'm trying to keep my expectations low so I don't get too disappointed, but the course thing sounds great, Craig. This game could be so amazing if they did everything right, but I doubt it's going to fit all our ideals. I just don't think they have the budget for it.
FattyJ
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2008 4:17:17 PM

DanH wrote:
I'm trying to keep my expectations low so I don't get too disappointed, but the course thing sounds great, Craig. This game could be so amazing if they did everything right, but I doubt it's going to fit all our ideals. I just don't think they have the budget for it.

Yes this is true with any game(The part about development being limited by $).  However most if not all gaming systems now come equipped with hard drives and the games come out with updates that can be downloaded.  I hope they focus on the game mechanics and put in a few well fleshed out courses then after the game is released more courses could be downloaded to extend the lifespan of the game.  Or even better they could release a course design program where people who are inclined could design actual courses or fantasy ones and share them via the internet.  My 2 cents.
Otterbein_discgolf
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2008 5:07:34 PM

There was a thread on the pdga message board about the game a while back. They were listening to peoples ideas and said they would try to incorporate them into the game. I would just be happy if the initial release had solid courses, true throwing styles, and discs that reacted the way that they should. The innova computer game is a perfect example of what we don't want so hopefully it is better than that game was. I think it was going to be brand independent so maybe we can get some variety there.

People were talking about it starting out with pro-d/dx plastic and then you earn money to buy better grades of plastic so I think they are putting a lot of thought into it. I'm not getting my hopes up but at least it has potential... disc golf is getting big enough that I think a game could a possibility.
osu_buckeyes
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2008 6:55:42 PM

I just hope they can get semi-realistic physics going. The courses and other content would be secondary in my mind. Have proper flight physics though would be key for me, ie. throw a disc hard and it turns over. This might be a little complex and probably won't make it, but with the control system, its totally doable.

I hope it turns out well though. Also, if people were throwing their wiimotes through walls playing bowling I can't wait to see what kind of damage results from this game!!
osu_buckeyes
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2008 7:02:00 PM

I did some google research and it looks like there might actually be two games coming out.

The first, the one most people have been talking about is being developed by Autonomous Productions, that is a stand along game. This will (hopefully) be fairly realistic and accurate.

The other is a part of a collection of games being developed by THQ that is going to be released under the name "Big Beach Sports". This one doesn't sound as promising to me, but THQ is a big publisher with lots of resources so who knows. http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5591&sid=d396bb8a1f2c47a7659196d3b2978c0b
DanH
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2008 2:34:02 AM

Yes, I want to see good physics most of all. It should sense the difference between hyzer and anhyzer and the vertical angle too so you can throw high or low. And it should have a max power meter like wii sports ball golf so I'll be able to throw as far as you guys, at least in a virtual world.
mikekem
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2008 8:51:48 AM

I've never played any games except for the sports games that come from the wii. But in those games the physics weren't true to life; they were just easy enough for the user to understand them. In the wii golf game the only way you slice the ball is if you swing too hard. Thats not how ball golf works. I think most game makers in wii are more interested in ease of play. Sorry for being a negative Nancy.
osu_buckeyes
Posted: Thursday, May 29, 2008 2:03:38 PM

Wii Sports was definitely designed to be easy to play and appeal to everyone. I don't think that is always the case though. For example, I haven't played Tiger Woods on the Wii but from what I hear the controls are pretty accurate and unforgiving. That being said I'm sure concessions will be made to make the learning curve somewhat less extreme. Not sure how many people would play if they had to spend a couple years learning (or not learning in my case) how to make a 30 ft. putt.
FattyJ
Posted: Friday, May 30, 2008 10:19:09 AM

The game developers can always make the game simulation accurate and difficult to master and have difficulty settings. That way people who want simple can have it and people who want complex can have it too.
perica
Posted: Saturday, August 02, 2008 11:49:26 AM

i played big beach sports yesterday. its really, really, really easy. don't waste your money. although it has forehand, backhand and overhand shots along with drivers midranges and putters; might want to wait and see what the other game is going to be like.
Otterbein_discgolf
Posted: Saturday, August 02, 2008 12:53:25 PM

I emailed the game developers for the game that has potential to see how it was going. Here is the response that I got... And make sure you check out the video, this Motion Plus has the potential to make the game be bada$$.

Hi Craig,

Thank for contacting us.

We are developing Disc Golf for Wii and we're working with the PDGA.
We did target the World's for demoing the game, but have since changed
plans so we can properly support Nintendo's new controller add-on
called MotionPlus.

Supporting MotionPlus will allow us to capture the throwing motion
with the precision serious players expect, though this will cause a
delay of release since MotionPlus isn't commercially available yet.
We'll add you to our mailing list and let you know when we do get
closer to release. Here's a demo of MotionPlus from E3 that shows a
demo of throwing a disc to a dog...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZzEBnoFIvQo

Shayne Guiliano
Autonomous Productions
blatzattak
Posted: Saturday, August 02, 2008 3:54:17 PM

thats great, cause the disc golf game on that beach party sports game is LAME. you can control the disc angle somewhat with the remote, but if you throw it anny it goes right into the sand. there are no hole distances, no throw distances, but the holes are sick, that's about the only good thing about it. . , not a real tech game. looking forward to an improvement.
1000RatedDiscGolf
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2008 5:16:22 PM

The new Disc Golf game for the Wii platform, named "PDGA presents Disc Golf" is still in development, but should be released sometime after the MotionPlus sensors come out for the WiiMote(hopefully around the holiday season). We spoke with their Studio Director, Shayne Guiliano, about how the development and idea was started, when we might see the game released, and how they've worked to develop a game that both beginners and Pro's will enjoy...

You can see the full article at:
http://www.1000rated.com/?p=53

Enjoy!
Brian
Editor, 1000rated.com