Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Chicago courses Options
kmaupin
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2007 12:14:52 PM

I had the pleasure of visiting Chicago a few weeks ago on a business trip which required a weekend stay and provided some free day light hours to explore possible disc golf courses.

I would have never expected there to be so many 9 & 18 hole courses available, I would have to look up the names again to say exactly the best ones I visited but I enjoyed playing at probably 7 different courses that I had enough time to find.

I didn't even plan on taking any discs but decided to check for possible courses near where I was staying and I am so glad I did. I really had a great time and highly recommend keeping that in mind if you ever get a chance to visit the "windy" city. =)

Kelly

BIGBOY
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2007 12:59:08 PM

I was just in Chicago yesterday but did not have time to play any courses. Post the ones you recommend so that next time I am up there I will know which ones are worth playing.
13ruce-137
Posted: Friday, November 09, 2007 7:24:00 PM

i spent 2 weeks out there in may .. Cedar lake , auroura, and thers a couple on the west side that are worth the trip
Otterbein_discgolf
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2007 1:02:08 PM

I played Margreth Riemer Reservoir in Palatine when in Chicago for business about a year ago. Short 9 holer that wasn't really worth it unless you were in the area and looking to add to the list of courses played. There is a seafood place that had some of the best gumbo around right by the course though!
GStrick
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2011 3:33:59 PM

I'm headed up to Chicago in a few weeks. Wondering if anyone could suggest a course or two. I checked dgcoursereview.com and found a few. Just wanted to check for any additional thoughts.
andersab
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2011 3:42:22 PM

You need to get a hold of Kevin Brashear, former NKY-an, former Chi-townian, current master of Columbus.
gw0904
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2011 4:55:08 PM

On your way up or back (45 miles south of Chicago off of I-65), I would stop at Lemon Lake. They played the Pro Worlds there last year and have four courses in one location. I played three of them on my way back from a business trip to Chicago last year and the Gold course is fantastic.

Closer to Chicago, Highland Park is one of the best in the area and highly recommended.
Valet
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2011 5:01:30 PM

Northwest side has a couple courses that I've played and are pretty cool: Black Bear and Shady Oaks. Both are 18 hole courses. There's also a couple in that area called Anna Page (East and West) that a buddy of mine, who lives there, has played several times and really likes.
perica
Posted: Monday, August 01, 2011 5:54:25 PM

Chicago's such a humongous town - it can be quite a hike to get to some of those courses. I've played Lippold in Crystal Lake, Fairfield Park in Round Lake, Sunny Hill in Streamwood and Edgebrook which is actually in the city. Edgebrook is on an existing ball golf course so you can get a cart - which you'll need since it's crazy long. Overall, none of them were all that interesting though. I've heard that to the south in Joliet there are some good ones. You can go see the Blues Brothers' fictional home town while you're at it if you head that way.
beeler
Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2011 12:29:33 AM

Well....I lived in Chicago for years and have played almost all the courses in the area....personal favorite course is Lemon Lake in Crown Point. Other than that, West Park and Highland Park in Joliet are great courses as well if you want to so to the south suburbs. If you go north, Anna Paige in Rockford has 2 18 hole courses that are really nice as well. If you want to stay close to the city, there aren't any really good courses, but Summit park is a short technical course that I played probably the most. No matter what, if you want good disc golf, you need to get at least an hour outside of the city limits to see what the disc golf scene is like up there. With Lemon Lake only being 1 hour and 15 minutes away, well worth the trip! And you can see the upcoming courses that they are putting in....2 more 18 hole courses that will be done in the upcoming years. Hope that this helps!
GStrick
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2011 9:10:49 AM

Thanks for the advice. I figured I would have to head to the suburbs to find a good course after checking the PDGA and dgcoursereview.