Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Cincinnati State Disc Golf Course is a go! Options
discnforfun
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2007 4:33:17 PM

Nine new Discatcher Pro's were ordered today. Baskets should be in the ground and the course “playable” before Christmas. Some of the holes use existing parking lots; sidewalks etc. for tee pads, the rest will be grass/dirt temporarily. Signage should be up by spring, tee pads and benches some time next summer. We will have “the most awesome website ever constructed for a disc golf course” once I get the multimedia students to adopt it as a capstone project. The course map will also display the major trees on the course along with their genus and species, so you’ll get a little course in dendrology when you play the course. The course won't be exceptionally challenging, 1 400 ft. hole, 3 300+ ft holes, 3 holes in the 250 ft. - 275 ft. range, and 2 <200 ft. holes. There will be a nice combination of righty/lefty holes and some of the holes will be really nice looking (the course plays through the front of campus which is beautiful most seasons of the year.) There’s a nice amount of elevation change, up and down. The buildings are open most of the time, even on the weekends, so there will be access to restrooms and vending machines. The first hole’s tee is located in the parking lot just up the hill from the main entrance. On weekends the gates are up and parking will be great. On school days parking is available along Central Parkway (if you’re lucky enough) and for $2 in the college’s parking garages. The course has little to no brushy/weedy areas, so there won’t be much chance of losing discs. It will never be Idlewild but it should end up being a nice “lunch” course, a good place for students to play and pick up the game, a good place for some practice rounds in our Intro to Disc Golf course, and a good course to compliment Burnett Woods for someone looking to get a couple of short rounds in at different locations. As soon as the baskets are in I’ll make sure a base map is made available to the webmaster.
NEngle
Posted: Thursday, November 08, 2007 5:16:13 PM

Awesome!
bobherb
Posted: Friday, November 09, 2007 9:41:06 AM

The game needs courses like this.
Introducing new players in a less challenging/taxing manner will be beneficial.
It will be a nice addition to the 30 or so courses in greater Cincinnati.
Being in such a "civilized" area, the media may be inclined to shoot a lot of footage (or should I say pixels) there.
Good job promoting the game Paul D.
BIGBOY
Posted: Friday, November 09, 2007 10:55:05 AM

1 more course for the Nati! I think we should be in the guiness book for most disc golf courses in a 100 miles radius.
discnforfun
Posted: Friday, November 09, 2007 3:01:55 PM

I've been one of the "sideline beneficiaries" of the growing list of awesome courses in our area. It's nice to be able to give back a little to the game. It's a drop in the bucket compared to what many people have been doing for the Cincinnait disc golf scene for a long, long time. But the kudos are still greatly appreciated.

Dellahyam
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2007 7:39:36 AM

Paul this is awesome news! Let me know if you need any help Im sure Joe would help too!

-Ed
cincystatediscgolfer
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2007 7:58:48 AM

Yea For sure I will help with all the free time i have so we can play on this asap...i can't wait to play again..
discnforfun
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2007 1:38:06 PM

Thanks for the offers for assistance guys. I'm not sure yet if we need any more volunteers but you will be the first to know if we do.
Ian Smith
Posted: Tuesday, November 13, 2007 12:46:38 AM

That's a great idea for a course!!! Can't wait to play.
mikejenkins1
Posted: Wednesday, November 14, 2007 7:57:23 AM

Make sure to put it up on the Courses tab so we can read all about it and find out how to get there.
discnforfun
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2007 8:12:23 PM

The baskets are in the ground! There's still a lot of work to do, both short term and long term, but the course is now "playable." In fact, my brother and I played a round right after installing the baskets today. Here's a link to pictures from the tees and baskets; http://picasaweb.google.com/milfordmagic/CincinnatiStateDiscGolfCourse The weather was pretty dreary today so the pictures aren't the best. Also, the drought took its toll on the campus this summer but I'm sure it will rebound to its normal beautiful self next spring/summer.

A map with hole distances should be done some time this week. Please understand there is still a whole lot of work to do before the course is really anything close to finished, but it is "playable" as is. It may be possible to find your way around from tee to basket to tee without a map via the pictures (especially if you're a student at the college) but you might want to wait until a map is available. The numbers aren't on the baskets yet (it was a bit cold this morning and we wanted to make sure they would adhere properly.

Note: I added a map this morning to the pictures that shows the approximate location of the tees and the baskets. If it stops raining this week I'll get the distances too.

Anyways... ...we're proud of our nice little addition to the local scene and hope to keep improving on it over the next 10-12 months.
discndat
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2007 12:28:06 PM

Looks really awesome Paul. Can't wait to give it a throw. Thanks for all you've been doing for our disc golf scene here in the area.
discnforfun
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2007 2:48:14 PM

Thanks Dan. Like I said before, whatever I can contribute is a drop in the bucket compared to others' efforts, but every little bit helps promote the game.

My brother Jim was involved with this course from the beginning as well. He's got some sore arms from concrete mixing to prove it this week. But I paid him back by letting him be the model in the pictures. Yuk, yuk.

Who do I send the distances etc. to to get the course added on the GCFDA Course page?

Discgolfkid
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2007 3:24:48 PM

The course looks great! It's an excellent addition that will be fairly challenging but also enticing to newer players.
discndat
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2007 3:35:39 PM

There's an e-mail link at the bottom of the Home Page that I would send it to. Thanks to Jim for being both a laborer and a model. Wow, I knew he was diverse!
frizgolf
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2007 6:12:14 PM

Sweet!
Can't wait to play it!
perica
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2007 3:31:58 PM

i played this course yesterday. its pretty fun and has a few challenging tee shots. a lot of it plays along a significant hillside; but i didn't have any runaway discs try to get to the bottom. there is a lot of pedestrian and car traffic (at least on a tuesday afternoon) so be careful. i think i scared a pair that were walking when my tee shot on #1 crossed the road and hit a light pole.
discnforfun
Posted: Wednesday, November 28, 2007 7:03:47 PM

Glad you had a chance to give it a run. If you were there in late afternoon the traffic was probably people arriving for evening classes. On weekends it should be really quiet. We don't run too many classes on Saturday and fewer yet on Sunday.

Hey, you're not supposed to be crossing the road on No. 1... ...that's OB!! The "good news" is that you do need to pull it pretty hard right to cross the road and most of the year the foilage on the trees lining the drive will keep shots contained too.
discnforfun
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2007 3:31:06 PM

Here are the distances for the nine holes on the course and the change in elevation from the tee pad to the basket. I'm showing them to the nearest five feet because the precise, "final" tee pad locations will evolve over the next couple of weeks as we play the course a bit. The baskets are going to stay put for a while.

No. 1 405' -20' elev.
No. 2 400' +40' elev.
No. 3 220' -5' elev.
No. 4 185' +10' elev.
No. 5 265' +20' elev.
No. 6 300' -20' elev.
No. 7 290' +25' elev.
No. 8 345' +5' elev.
No. 9 320' +5' elev.

It's been fun seeing students and visitors discovering the course this week. If you play it please feel free to comment on this thread. Your input is appreciated. Please remember there aren't tee pads or signs in place yet so be tolerant for a while. We'll get that done eventually.
frizgolf
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2007 5:38:11 PM

That might be a good project for the surveying class.
discnforfun
Posted: Friday, November 30, 2007 8:17:31 PM

I'm hoping to get the surveying class capstone class tied to the multimedia capstone class in the spring. If I can get both groups working together on a single project we'll get a GIS arboretum/disc golf course map and a website and instructional videos and flybys etc. etc. In the short term I shot the distances with a total station this afternoon. They're tight distances but they might change somewhat if the final tee pad locations change in the future.
Dellahyam
Posted: Thursday, December 06, 2007 8:59:31 PM

Paul, is it ok to play the course in the snow?
discnforfun
Posted: Thursday, December 06, 2007 9:45:45 PM

Sure. Have a go at it. The hillside might be a bit slippery but other than that, no problem.
a_hlavac
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2007 11:57:03 AM

I'm glad to see another new disc golf course pop up here in Cincy. I've played a bunch of the new courses (Monroe, Gulley, Turtlecreek's additional 9 holes, etc.) and they're all great. Gulley is a particular favorite. It's a little far away, but the landscape is beautiful, the course is well-designed and there is no traffic. I wish it was a sunny June afternoon...I would drive out there for a round after work.

Anyway, THANK YOU to everyone who made this Cincinnati State course possible. I plan on trying it out as soon as the weather permits. The slideshow preview of the course was cool too. Now we just have to get Cincinnati State listed as a course on this websites "Courses" page...
Liz
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2007 3:12:55 PM

Hey Paul, I finally got to play the course today, nice job - got a fairway ace for a deuce on hole 9, it was pretty cool!