Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Cincinnati State Disc Golf Course is a go! Options
discnforfun
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2007 7:54:47 PM

Wow, I see that the snowy hillside isn't detering anyone from trying out the new course. We disc golfers are a pretty determined group, aren't we?

I'm glad everyone is enjoying the new baby on the scene. She's got some growing up to do but eventually will be a proud part of the local scene. A bunch of you have played the course more times than me, but don't worry I'll catch up soon. My brother Jim has been sneaking up on his lunch hour from downtown and bringing some of his co-workers too. I think he wants to make sure he can beat me on my own course. Sibling rivalries are something else.

Liz, your opinion is definitely valued so I'm happy you like the course... ...and dueced No. 9... ...with a fairway ace nonetheless. I think the course offers some good opportunities for teaching alternate throwing techniques in the course next year, and that was one of the goals in laying it out. Does Hole No. 8 look a bit familiar to our backhand practice location? Hole No. 5 to the forehand one?

I ran into Alan Clore last Friday playing a round and he said he enjoyed it too. So unless you're all just being nice, I guess we did ok with the space we had to work with. Now it's time to get back to work with Miami Township. I've got a course close (real close) to work, so it's time to get one close(r) to where I live.
soundmind
Posted: Sunday, December 09, 2007 7:24:57 AM

came out n played it yesterday, duced hole 1 and aced hole 3. I liked it and didnt like it . the space was the real issue ,if your not xperienced there are alot of road hazzardz. The guyz i played with almost hit cars more than once. happy therez another place to throw in cincinnati and hope it stayz without probs,but more i wish i had 9 new baskets like that 2 put in the ground . who has sum baskets 2 donate ?
discnforfun
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2007 4:18:20 PM

I just have to ask the question, without being a wise guy, "Where are there a lot of road hazzards?" The only holes I see that might present that kind of issue would do so for lefties primarily. At least that's the way I see it from my perspective. I certainly do want your input because shifting the tees is not totally out of the question at this point. I think the baskets are staying where they are for now.

I can see on hole No. 1 that there's a chance, though I haven't gotten close to OB yet. However, you can see if there are cars coming up the drive. There isn't a constant flow of traffic so a little patience eliminates any issues there. The placement of the basket allows for the 400' run and requires "good judgement" in avoiding the OB area and any traffic flow.

Holes 2, 3 and 4, hmmm, pretty hard to find cars on those

Maybe hole No. 5, the uphill left-to-right shot could be a second possibility but I don't think the "average" player is going to throw uphill and to the right that far on their first shot. Again, if they are a lefty they could pull it there, but I don't think it's going to be a big problem. But I could be wrong.

Hole No. 6 would have to be a major gorilla boy shot to reach any cars.

Hole No. 7 require another big-ole anhyzer to reach the road, but if you're throwing something real understable or turn it over big time, it's a possibility. I can see your point that real newbies might have a problem with this one, but from my experience they tend to throw mostly hyzers. That puts them into a tree or two, but not down the road. Once again, the view of the drive is pretty much unobstructed from the tee and it's not hard to wait for space to eliminate any potential car-whacking.

On Hole 8 there's no chance to reach cars.

On Hole 9 the parking lot up the hill is reachable, no doubt, but pretty avoidable as well. Not being a big-arm type it doesn't present that much of an issue to me so I might be in error here.

I guess that's the way I see the situation. It's not a perfect layout, but I looked at it a long time and tried to get some reasonable distances, requiring a variety of shots, left and right, and up and down. OB is just a part of the course, a little more dangerous when it includes the possibility of hitting cars, but I think that is pretty avoidable.

You might want to use good sense when playing the course. The campus is covered with security cameras, and has a very guarding grounds crew that's more protective than the campus police force (who tolerate pretty much nothing.) No issues with playing the course, I just would make sure I was very "PDGA rules oriented" when playing it.

On a different note... ...hole 3 is short but so protected by the last big fir tree's limbs I'm amazed you found a path to ace it. Nice shot!

"9 new baskets" don't fall into anyone's lap, it took a bit more effort and time than you might assume.

What's with the "zzzzz"'s? You have some kind of sleep disorder?
soundmind
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2007 7:56:23 AM

yeah hole 1 i skipped off the road 4 a easy duce. hole 2 all three other playerz went right to road the one up top one of them almost blasted a truck parked close and hole 7 like u sayed flippy disc shot accross road so really just those 4 holes 1,2,6,7 .hole 3,z ace was sidearm. yeah getting baskets to build courses is 4 chure hard werkzzzzzzzzz, keep up da good werk. yes i have many disorderz
discnforfun
Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 2007 8:57:31 AM

Don't be throwin' a bunch of aces before I get a chance to get at least one! I almost hit one on 6, the long down hill throw, but just teased the chainz.

Thanks for the feedback.
ccs
Posted: Wednesday, December 12, 2007 5:01:02 AM

Your post does say "good judgement".
If it was a lake down the right side of hole one people would exercise good judgement because they could lose a disc. When it's a road or sidewalk some people don't care so much. With the elevation drop on the first tee there are some pretty dangerous shots that can be thrown. I was there early Saturday and threw an anhyzer around the big tree in the middle. It's not a shot I would throw if there were people around but if it can be done some jerk will do it when the cars are lined up on the street and the hillside is covered with people.

On hole five not everyone will throw from left to right.

I like the layout.

These are just some things that I could see happening.

discnforfun
Posted: Wednesday, December 12, 2007 4:00:29 PM

You're right about No. 1, there are options. I guess the best answer there is if someone throws into a car or a crowd of people by electing to go over the OB area, or not waiting for cars to clear, they'll just have to deal with the consequences the same as in ball golf. It's not possible to totally protect against craziness.

On Hole No. 5, it's currently only indicated on the picture slideshow, but the trees on the top near the basket create a mandatory left. A right to left around them is not the right course of action. Eventually I'll get a mandatory sign by the leftmost tree, and when the tee signs go up in the spring they will show it as well. That should help there.

There are similar holes near parking lots and roadways at courses like Highland Hills, Boone Woods, A.J. Jolley and Oxford (they come to mind the quickest) where it certainly is in the realm of possibility to hit vehicles. Hopefully, whatever has been working at those courses will work at Cincy State... ...good judgement or good throws I guess.

Glad you like the layout.
agentdozzer
Posted: Wednesday, December 12, 2007 4:45:43 PM

i know cars of soccer moms and baseball players have been hit at banklick.
perica
Posted: Thursday, December 27, 2007 8:35:47 PM

I'm not sure if there's any rules regarding who submits new courses to the pdga directory; but I just noticed that it's not up there. Figured someone on here would know.
discnforfun
Posted: Friday, December 28, 2007 4:26:00 AM

Thanks for the reminder.

I was trying to get together a basic website for the course before submitting it to the PDGA. They have course website links included on their site so I thought it might be a good idea to have at least a reasonable placeholder before submitting. There are still some typos on the site and links to all the pictures aren't in place so don't be too critical yet. I'll get it cleaned up this week before it gets published broadly (but I guess I'm doing that now...)This one's not a work-of-art, but I'll go ahead and submit it as well as the GCFDA link this week. As I mentioned earlier on this thread, I hope to have the college's multimedia students do a first-class site for their capstone course in the spring term. That's still a possibility.

http://www.surgediscgolf.com

Happy New Year!

discnforfun
Posted: Tuesday, January 01, 2008 10:07:05 PM

OK, the temporary website for the Cincinnati State Disc Golf Course is alive and good to go.

http://www.surgediscgolf.com

The site was created free via Microsoft Office Live. It's not too bad for a tool with relatively fixed templates but it does have one major disadvantage... ...you can't open links in separate windows with the free version. That means you need to use the "back" button to return to the site if you navigate away to one of the links. I hate that as much as the need next person, but hey, it was free and pretty accomodating to most things we wanted available quickly.

There will be some minor changes shortly. For example, in keeping with the idea of eventually creating a disc golf/arobretum map, we named each hole after a nearby significant tree species. Unfortunately, I did this while being at my house this week and not on campus. I was relying on my memory and will need to check some of the holes to see if I was correct. Obviously, this doesn't affect usage of the course.

Now that the website is set for viewing, I will send the information requested by the PDGA to get the course included in their directory sometime this week.

I think many of you have been checking out the site already, but you might want to take another look if you were there early. Additional pictures and verbiage has been added.

Happy New Years to all!
bobherb
Posted: Wednesday, January 02, 2008 11:13:41 AM

Nice website and...
beautiful looking course!
With all of the trees and elevation changes in a well kept, park like setting, it appears you have designed a unique course.
I cannot wait to see it once the weather allows this bag of bones the motivation to play.
The website has nice pics and descriptions of the holes - the only thing missing, that would add an additional touch of class, is the genus and species names of the trees the holes are named after.
Here is a list of correct genus names - you will have to confirm/correct some of the species' names:

Fagus sylvatica European Beech

Liquidambar styraciflua Sweetgum

Pinus strobus White Pine

Picea pungens Blue Spruce

Malus baccata Crabapple

Salix babylonica Weeping Willow

Quercus alba White Oak

Ginkgo biloba Ginkgo

Fraxinus americana White Ash
discnforfun
Posted: Wednesday, January 02, 2008 8:38:10 PM

Good suggestion, changes made, and the spellings were all correct. Wish I could say the same for my tree ID's. When I can drag one of the groundscrew guys or girls out to verify my modest knowledge of tree I will make sure that the names are right. I got the idea of naming the holes after the trees from the Augusta ball golf site.

Thanks again for the idea.
discnforfun
Posted: Thursday, January 03, 2008 11:49:16 AM

This morning I submitted the course information for the inclusion of the Surge Disc Golf Course in the PDGA Directory. The PDGA site response indicated that the information would be reviewed and posted soon.
discnforfun
Posted: Friday, January 04, 2008 10:31:59 AM

That was fast! We are officially listed in the PDGA directory.

http://www.pdga.com/course/courses_by_city.php?id=2908

I guess we better get to work on those signs, tee pads and benches.
Craig
Posted: Saturday, January 05, 2008 2:51:19 AM

Play the course a week or so ago. Good little course. I like the elevation. And it's not retarted easy. Only problem I had was #2, we played to 4's basket the first round til we figured out were it was. Good job
morticite
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2008 7:27:54 PM

Got to play this course on one of our unseasonably warm days lately and this is a nice addition. Much better than Burnett. I went to the school there so it was interesting to see how the course was carved out. I think this is one of the better 9 hole courses I've played. The major concerns I would have is if school was going on I think it would be easy to come close to nailing some innocent students even if you have decent control over your throw. The other concern is the parking because I know from going there that it is hard to find a spot on the street. Good job on the course, there are some nice challenges.
discnforfun
Posted: Monday, January 07, 2008 8:48:37 PM

Thanks for the positive comments. As a former student I'm sure you understand our goal of making the campus a more particapatory space for students. I think the disc golf course will definitely make the front area feel more like a campus green and less like just a buffer space. Not much we can do about the parking. The enrollment just keeps growing so there is no end in sight for that problem... ...except to play on weekends or park in one of the garages (but that's a pretty long hike to the course.) There are a couple of alterations/additions being considered. I think we're going to have two tees for No. 2. We played the course on Sunday morning using the second landing from the bottom on the main staircase as the tee, and the blue spruce trees behind Hole No. 4's tee, as a mando right. This adds over 100 ft. to the 400 ft. hole and brings the tee up a bit in elevation. It still played pretty much as a par three, but a more difficult one. It also helps eliminate that "I've got to throw up and over this big ole hill!" feeling. Next, on hole No. 6, we moved the tee pad back along the gaurd rail another 100 ft. or so (can't remember right now) making it a +400 ft. hole. This gave the hole a completely different feel and approach. We'll probably look at having two tee pads here for sure. Our only concern with this tee pad was the possibility of big turnover shots ending up in Central Parkway traffic... ...that would be a big old no-no. It was very windy Sunday morning, and throwing as crazy as we could without directing the disc directly at the road, nothing came even close. Doesn't appear to be an issue. Finally, on No. 8, we moved the alternative tee pad back to the sidewalk along Central Parkway just to the south of the pedestrian bridge over the road. That added about 60 ft. to the hole, making it a +400 ft. hole, but more interestingly, in the spring the basket will be framed in a really cool opening between the ginkgo and surrounding trees and limbs. We'll play the course a couple of times to see if the alterations add anything of significance, and if so, update the course map and website to reflect the alternative tees. From these tees there would be 1 +500 ft. hole, 3 +400 ft. holes, 1 +300 ft. hole, and 4 < 300 ft. holes.
mwolfram
Posted: Saturday, April 26, 2008 3:21:23 PM

Hey everyone,
I'm part of the team thats in charge of designing the new website for the Cincinnati State Disc Golf Course. Since we just started the planning phase of the site, I thought this might be a good place to get some feedback and ideas from the local disc golf community.

So, in your oppinion...

- If you went to a disc golf course website, what features would really benefit you? (interactive maps, photo gallery, videos, printable score cards, a forum...)

- What website features do you dislike?

Any feedback you could give would be much appreciated...Thanks everybody

- Mike
mikejenkins1
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2008 12:06:19 PM

Well we played this course for the first time last night. I did bring a map but it was still very hard to find the tees. We missed quite a few of them and found some later. Understand it is new, but a little more help on tees would be nice. Yet the baskets are what we used to find them and those were well marked. I agree that it is a left handers course and we are all righties so that made it fun. Plus love that there are LOTS of trees in the way. Yet we did a good job to help trim them some! Overall I would give the course a 6 out of 10. If I am in the need for something different I would play there. But for our group, most said it was not worth the drive. We played around 7 PM so parking was easy. So overall it was fun.
pcaldwell
Posted: Thursday, July 03, 2008 11:08:18 PM

An easy temporary fix is to wrap a bit of duct tape around the top rim of the basket oriented in the direction of the next tee.  That gives you a direction to walk after you hole out  - eventually you'll come to it. 
finnhawc
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2008 12:00:11 PM

The course website is: http://surgediscgolf.com/default.aspx
surgediscgolf
Posted: Saturday, July 05, 2008 1:25:34 PM

Never fear, improvements are on the way. The course was the subject of a Cincinnati State multimedia capstone course this past term and you'll start to see improvements over the summer, including tee pads and signage. The new website will absolutely be the best website you have ever seen for a disc golf course... ...put that down in your notes and check back in a couple of weeks. The site includes five instructional videos from Matt Blakely and Liz Shooner that are very cool, a downloadable digital caddy with flybys of every hole that will play on your iPod, and information about the major trees species on the course (remember it is a disc golf course and arboretum, so "tree trimming" is not acceptable on this course like any other course.) I guarantee you don't want to deal with the landscaping crew on campus if they catch you "pruning" any of their vegetation, but I think you're talking about inadvertent trimming as in unexpected limb-whacking that I'm quite familiar with. Yuk, yuk

The current website, on the previous post, has not been updated since the new site is almost ready to come on line. One major change is the location of the tee for Hole No. 2. That hole is now played from the third landing of the main stairs that lead up to the front of the main building (across the entrance road from Hole No. 1's basket. The two big blue spruce trees are mandatory right (to keep throws out of No. 4's tee area.) The hole now plays 500 ft. with a gain of 30 feet in elevation, making it almost the equivalent of a 600 ft. hole.

We tried to design the course to be a combination of lefty/righty holes and I think (being a righty) that I find that's how it plays. If we have had more space it would have been fun to have an 18 hole course but there's only a little over 9 acres out front to work with and we wanted to keep the average hole length over 300 ft... ...that definitely limited it to 9 holes. Hopefully, by the end of the summer you'll play again... we'd like to get you to raise your score to an 8 or a 9 out of 10 by the time we're finished (at least when you weigh it against other nine hole courses in the area.

Thanks for playing and come back again in September and give it another go. I'll implement the temporary "duct tape guides this week... ...thanks for the suggestion Pete.
mikejenkins1
Posted: Monday, July 07, 2008 7:08:44 AM

Well we are just a bunch a ametures that have been playing for a couple of years. Just my kids and wife and I and my brother-in-law and sister-in-law. Love to get out and just have fun. We have gotten probably 10 other family members interested in it as well which is good. I think we will be back and will look forward to playing again. Also the website souunds very nice and maybe someday we will even take the golf course at Cincinnati State.
BlaznJason
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 12:18:35 AM

I've been once to this course in 2008. I was happy to see that there was a course at Cincinnati State because I lived in Clifton and Burnett had a hole stolen(NOW TWO?!).

This course was an interesting idea but without any tee signage just sucked. I've been back to Burnett Woods 20 times since playing Cincinnati State and haven't once played CS again.

Maybe I'll give it another chance.