Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

Cincinnati State Disc Golf Course is a go! Options
agentdozzer
Posted: Sunday, October 18, 2009 9:23:23 AM

My first impression is that this course is awesome, despite the flaw of signs and pads. Sure before we got the map of a security guy at the college we were off on some of the pads, but the layout offered so many nice shots with great fairways. It reminded me of rapid run, Holes 1,6,9 stuck out as the best hole. Cant wait to throw the roller on one again. I did go on a weekend and the place was empty other than maybe twenty students and the security guy that called his partner to bring us a map.
surgediscgolf
Posted: Sunday, October 18, 2009 10:45:25 AM

Thanks! I'm glad you liked the course. We really tried to create one that was different from any other in the region. I just wish we would have had more useable space so we could have put in 18 holes.

ONE OF THESE DAYS.... ....we'll get the signage up. I do apologize for that. Because we decided to go with a "clever" signage design, I've had to wait forever for the volunteers help to get it done. We have all but two tee pads in now, only No. 3 and No. 6 are missing. Once again, because we're relying on volunteers to put in the paver block pads, (our landscape horticulture guys built them for me) we get them installed, one at a time, every summer. They have promised to put the last two in next summer. The circular tee pad on hole No. 4 is actually round for a reason. There is a "secret" way to play the course "backward" that provides another 9 holes... ...it works well as long as no one else is playing the course. Hole No. 4's tee pad also plays to Hole No. 7's basket on the "back nine," thus the round tee pad that allows throws in two different directions.

The course is well maintained by our grounds crew, the grass is usually cut really nice. Eventually the the baskets will be mulched in with the surrounding plantings.

Once again, thanks for the compliment, and we hope to make the course easier to follow as time goes by.
Erik
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2010 11:15:00 AM

The new tee pad on 9 is amazing. Keep up the great work!
DrewMiller(RH)
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2010 7:17:24 PM

Best 9 holer in the Tri-State! No better place to play a round at dusk, great views! Drains really well too!
surgediscgolf
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2010 7:53:36 PM

Thanks guys! I'm kinda partial to it too....
Phil Miller
Posted: Thursday, March 11, 2010 8:48:07 PM

I have to agree that the course plays nicely now. It was good to see some of the trees/bushes had been trimmed up to provide actual routes to the basket. Good work !
Erik
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2010 2:35:30 PM

It is a great course to play at dusk, although I would recommend starting on 9.  Its basket is pretty dark and the hold plays a little blind.  Other than that the Campus lighting really does a nice job of lighting up the course.

Is there a consolidated list of what the current mandos are?  I know in this post it tosses around a few.  Not sure if any more were added or if there was an effort to get these marked on the course

Also, you mentioned a way to play the “back 9.”  Can you provide more details on how this would be done?

surgediscgolf
Posted: Friday, March 12, 2010 8:34:02 PM

Mando on Hole No. 2 - You must go right of the two large Blue Spruce trees up by the circular tee to No. 4.  This keeps tee shots from entering that playing area for No. 4.

Mando on Hole No. 3 - You must go left of the first tree on the line from the tee area to the pole. This forces an anhyzer shot on this short hole.  

Mando on Hole No. 4 - As you tee from the circular tee pad you must go left of the buckeye tree ( the first tree) on the line to the basket. Same idea as the previous hole, plus it keeps you from smacking into the retaining wall around the tee.

Mando on Hole No. 5 - You must not throw over the road/parking are atop the hill. We usually use the lowest tree of that clump of trees guarding the basket as the mando.

The "back nine" is not so easy to describe verbally. The next time you plan on playing in the day/dusk shoot me an email and I'll walk the course with you. I don't know if we should ever really "publish" the back nine since it plays in direct conflict with anyone who is playing the "normal course." I wouldn't want someone to get whacked in the process if you know what I mean.
Erik
Posted: Monday, March 15, 2010 11:29:16 AM

Ouch! Mando on Hole 2! As a lefty that will add a stoke to my game!

We will shoot you an email the next time we head out that way. Although this week/weekend will probabaly be pretty busy with the kick off of spring leagues and the CCS.
greenhills
Posted: Sunday, July 18, 2010 11:04:27 AM

Ok, I should have printed the map before I went, but yesterday was the first time I played this course. The lack of signage made the first round or two a little difficult and I am still not sure on a couple of the teepads. I only remember seeing a couple of brick teepads, the others were just a stake in the ground. I think 5, 6 and 7 were the ones I could not find the teepads.
All and all I pretty decent course and it was totally empty, which is always nice.

surgediscgolf
Posted: Monday, July 26, 2010 5:16:59 PM

For all you Cincinnati State disc golf course fans, the final two tee pads are finally under construction. With that step out of the way we can move on to signage... ...bet you all will like that!

http://picasaweb.google.com/milfordmagic/CopperleafDiscGolfCourseFinalTeePadInstallation?feat=directlink

Erik
Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2010 9:36:56 AM

Great! We will be playing there in leagues on 8/4. Hole 1 is such a sweet hole. I don't know how many times I have thrown an extra disc (or 10) off that teepad!
surgediscgolf
Posted: Tuesday, July 27, 2010 2:38:27 PM

Thanks Eric!

I wanted to have a couple "signature" holes on the course, one near the beginning and one near the end.  I always envisoned the first hole playing just the way it sits.  I think it's a unique hole in the area.  I also really like No. 6, the one that plays down the hill from gaurd rail to the basket by the trees.  The near tree limb restricts the shot, but the big slope still allows for good distance... ...and the view of the valley and the expressway is also nice... ...at least I think so.

I'm really glad to hear that the league includes Copperleaf this year!  I hope the two tee pads are finished by next week, but even if they're not I think the crushed gravel cutouts will work just fine. 

If you haven't seen the website for the course before I think you'll enjoy it.  Unfortunately, the links to several of the videos aren't working but there's still a lot to enjoy.  Check it out!

http://itd1.cincinnatistate.edu/copperleaf/index.htm

IF WE EVER GET IT FULLY FUNCTIONAL, I think this will be the coolest disc golf course website on the net... ...really.

Paul
greenhills
Posted: Wednesday, July 28, 2010 1:07:38 PM

Hole No. 5 is teed from a landing on the long stairs that climb the hill to the Main Building's entrance.

Is that landing marked off in anyway?

Also, where exactly is the tee for hole #1?

thanks for the help....
surgediscgolf
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2010 12:08:35 AM

There was some green paint along the stairs where the tee for No. 5 is located. I'm out of town until Monday but I'll marked it again for you guys. No. 1's tee pad is along the guard rail in the parking lot just up the entrance drive on the right. There's a green line painted on the asphalt at the front of the pad. I'll double check on that one too, but I think it should still be very visible. I think it's right around where the fire lane designation ends (the red painted curb.) I noticed today that the tee pad for No. 3 is just about complete. I would venture to say it definitely will be by Wednesday. The tee pad for No. 6 is cut out and the subgrade material is in place. It should be fine for a pad if the pavers aren't installed in time for the league play.
Erik
Posted: Thursday, July 29, 2010 4:07:36 PM

surgediscgolf wrote:
I noticed today that the tee pad for No. 3 is just about complete. I would venture to say it definitely will be by Wednesday. The tee pad for No. 6 is cut out and the subgrade material is in place. It should be fine for a pad if the pavers aren't installed in time for the league play.

Excellent!  Can't wait to check it out.
surgediscgolf
Posted: Sunday, August 01, 2010 6:33:49 PM

I checked today and the "green line" at the front of the tee pad on Hole No. is still there. It's right by the "No Parking - Fire Lane" sign in Lot A. I also marked the front of the pads on the sidewalk leading to the front entrance of the main building. That would be the tees for No. 2 and No. 5. Finally, I marked the sidewalk, by the giant ginkgo tree, that serves as the tee pad for No. 8. Everything should be visible for Wednesday. I still don't know if the tee pads for No. 3 and No. 6 will be finished by then, but they are fine to play anyway. Hope the weather cooperates and you don't roast out there. Have fun!
nthomas
Posted: Monday, August 02, 2010 3:48:20 AM

Heard that you can play this course at night, is it accessible at like midnight?
surgediscgolf
Posted: Monday, August 02, 2010 8:33:36 AM

The general campus lighting does, in fact, light up most of the course a bit, though there would be some holes, like No. 9, that would be dark. I'm really not sure what security would think about discers running around in the wee hours of the morning. Technically, Monday through Thursday there are night classes there until 10:00 PM so I would guess you would be OK there, Friday and Saturday night I would guess the campus is open since the restaurant is open late those nights. Sunday night might be the one night that you might be of most concern. In the worst case I would guess that security would just ask you to leave if they had an issue. Since there are residential homes on one side I would also think it would be a problem if you got too roudy. They might complain and that would not be a good thing. So I'm guessing night discing MIGHT be OK, but bring some glow sticks for the baskets. Though "after midnight" might be pressing it a bit.
Erik
Posted: Thursday, August 05, 2010 9:20:25 AM

I like the fact you can start on hole 9 and be able to finish in the dark. Although the scores normally suffer a bit when playing in the dark.

We just played there in leagues last night. The course looks great. New teepads on 4 and 6 are very nice. Keep up the great work!
surgediscgolf
Posted: Thursday, August 05, 2010 5:21:50 PM

Did the league play at Copperleaf yesterday? I know that was the original plan but I didn't see too much evidence today that anyone passed through... ...maybe the 100 degree weather?

The last two tee pads are now in the ground! They need to have some dirt backfilled around the edges of the pavers, but they look and play great. Yes, in spite of the torn meniscus in my knee I had to throw a couple off the pads just to see if they align the way I hoped they would.... ....very satisfied.

The area around the tee for No. 4 (the circular tee pad) has been cleaned up and mulched by the grounds crew and it's looking really good.

Now if only I could get some signage......

Come check us out some time if you haven't played the course. I think you'll find it a pretty satifying nine hole course... ...and if you can come early afternoon during the week, give me a call and I'll show you the "secret back nine." They're not "developed" but they actually play pretty cool and makes the trip here a little more "worth it."
Phil Miller
Posted: Thursday, August 05, 2010 7:46:48 PM

We definitely played there yesterday. It was hot and the course played well. The new tee pads are nice to have especially once they are cleaned off. 6 and 7's were pretty hazardous with all the loose sand. We tee'd off to the side of number 6 because no one wanted to tear up their own knees. All in all it's a solid 9 hole course. I just wish it had been there when I was a student.
surgediscgolf
Posted: Tuesday, November 09, 2010 9:07:04 PM

The Copperleaf course at Cincinnati State will be out of commission until later this fall. The college is installing a new stormwater abatement system that includes, among other things, rainwater gardens at various places around the disc golf course. The engineers did take into consideration the course and have kept the gardens out of the principal fairways, though I have a strong feeling they will end up adding some significant "rough" to the course when all is said and done. The drainage system is being installed this fall but the plants won't be planted until next spring. I think that means the course will be playable, if not beautiful, later this fall. Everything should be back to normal by late spring next year... ....I hope.
chain_shaker
Posted: Wednesday, February 16, 2011 10:12:09 AM

Any idea when the course will be ok to play again? I'm down there at school everyday during the week and would like to play some on my breaks.
Erik
Posted: Friday, July 22, 2011 2:09:15 PM

Any update on this course. Really like playing this course alot, but am never in the area to check on it. Anyone go to school there or have any idea of the status of the course?