Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

2008 Course Challenge Series Options
DanH
Posted: Sunday, September 07, 2008 10:22:22 PM

Yeah, I found them ok. I just don't see a fairway on #9. And I couldn't figure out how to make my disc do a u-turn for hole #10. Just wondering if anyone found a successful shot for those holes.
matthew_blakely
Posted: Sunday, September 07, 2008 10:25:01 PM

Somebody should paint some arrows on those holes if they have time later this week. Donovan? Finn?
finnhawc
Posted: Monday, September 08, 2008 9:33:43 PM

I'll try to Tuesday or Thursday, Matthew. As for lines on 10 and 11(old 9 and 10- it is a 19 hole course) ask Alman he plays both of those hole very well-or ask Dave Cox-the current course record holder. Oh, yeah after hole 8 don't go up the hill as much as follow the creekside trail to a new hole a 265 foot anhyzer. The next hole is up that hill. Dan, you missed this hole it sounds like. If, you are playing this course blind on Sunday get there early to walk the holes in the woods and hills. 
mikekem
Posted: Tuesday, September 09, 2008 7:40:45 AM

You play all 19 holes? Ok there was quite a bit of confusion about the flow of the course. Glad I know now, it makes more sense.
Meow_Mix
Posted: Tuesday, September 09, 2008 12:34:44 PM

after hole 8, walk to the right (not up the hill) and play a hizer shot for the lefty. then walk up the hill and the next hole is on top of the hill. I am not so sure what is going on up there. holes 1 thru 9 are great holes, then it gets a little goofy. After the 9 holes, you walk up a hill to play a 200 foot shot, walk down the hill and up the other side, then when your done, you walk down the hill and over to the next hole...and the next hole plays next to a huge cliff (100 foot cliff at least) A TON of walking for just playing a few holes. Other than that, the course is well layed out.
Meow_Mix
Posted: Tuesday, September 09, 2008 12:35:19 PM

walk to the left after hole 8...
finnhawc
Posted: Tuesday, September 09, 2008 7:40:22 PM

No, that is an inaccurate description- the ravine is not crossed at all. After the side hill new 9th you go to the top and play to the DiscCatcher with the ravine(not close to 100 feet) on your left the whole way. Then you turn around to the next tee 2/3 of the way up the last fairway on the far right side. That hole(new 11) is a severe dog-leg left. The rest plays fairly logically. When you reach the bottom of the hill go across the bridge you used on hole 8, there you'll find what is labeled hole 15. Perhaps, if we call the new side-hill hole, Hole A it may make things easier to find when we shotgun start.     There is a basket on the far side of the ravine that is not being used yet....
Fred Salaz
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2008 10:12:21 AM

Mike, I would seriously consider changing or eliminating holes 9-14 on the hill on Sunday if it rains any at all this weekend. That walk down hole #14 is treacherous. We played it for the ace fund last night and I really enjoyed it(it was my first time playing the new design). It has a good mix of holes, needs some fine tuning and cleaning up of debris but quite challenging, very fun. Looks like someone has put in some hard work on it, keep up the good work Chris(I'm assuming it's Chris Clark). Alman shot a 10 down which was very impressive. We played 19 holes but our group missed hole #A and had to go back and replay it. Tough hole...
STEVO
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2008 10:44:51 AM

John, after the "new 9th" that you described, you walk up to the next tee (sort of on uneven land) and the hole runs along the side or "edge" of the ravine just as you said.  But if you look straight across that ravine, there is a basket.  What is that?  Then if you turn right at that basket and walk about 100 ft. along the other side of the ravine, there is the crude beginning of another tee pad.  It doesn't seem like much of a hole back across the ravine to "new 10's" basket, but there are steps built down from the crude tee pad.

Maybe someone who played last night can tell us what this is.

annouce   Okay, I saw that Fred was posting at the same time.  That area would definitely be treacherous if it's wet.
13ruce-1337
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2008 11:20:33 AM

Ya lots of hard work out there. Epically busting up other peoples hard work installing longer pads on 2 and 5 .. supposedly the ACOE deemed the area an erosion zone so "The Village" had to tear up what someone had done to make the course better.. sounds like a load of bull to me. And right before course challenge weekend too.  Its lack of cooperation like this that makes me not want to drive to Willburg at all ..  idiots running the show out there in my humble opinion.  Im still wondering why we arent playing Burnett/Cinci State instead.
2Timer
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2008 11:50:02 AM

First of all, that sorry excuse for a tee pad for long hole 2 was a lawsuit waiting to happen. Plus when it rains its underwater. And as for idiots running the show. No one just shows up at a course and starts putting their own tee pads and fairways and starts creating their own course. What do you think Fred would think if you showed up at Idlewild and decided you didn't like a hole and just made your own tee pad and cut your own fairways. The idiot is the one who took it upon himself to do these things. Oh and by the way the city mower bent a blade on your precious, unapproved tee pad and had them calling Chris Clark jumping all over him about it because he didn't get approval when he knew nothing about it.
DanH
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2008 12:06:08 PM

So any ideas where we will put 5 temp holes on that course if it rains? Kemner is TD and I am assisting and we've only been there once and are at least 1 hour's drive from it, so I'm welcoming advice. Are there alternate trails we can use and still play some of those holes, 9 - 14? If we have to setup 5 temp holes just because it threatens to rain a little, then it really should not be a CCS course at all in my opinion.
2Timer
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2008 12:08:46 PM

What are you talking about? 5 temp holes? the tee pad was put into a flood area.
DanH
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2008 12:09:49 PM

Fred Salaz wrote:
Mike, I would seriously consider changing or eliminating holes 9-14 on the hill on Sunday if it rains any at all this weekend. That walk down hole #14 is treacherous.

This is what I'm talking about.
2Timer
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2008 12:17:33 PM

I didn't see Fred's post. That walk down can be very slippery if it is wet. I've never tried a different route down before. There used to be a path that was cut into the hill that zigzagged back and forth, but now is has eroded away. 9-14 are little rough anyway because they had to be cut into the woods. I do see where you are coming from specially with a lot of traffic coming through. If it came to down to I would suggest maybe playing the 13 holes down below twice?????? There aren't too many places to add holes. Hole 7 could be cut into 2 holes very easily with a temp basket.
T_Vincent
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2008 12:24:26 PM

If I remember there was a Basket across the parking lot over by one, this could be used if needed. There is space in the field for a short temp, I think. There may be more space across the parking lot for a another hole. Just an idea or two. Some of these decisions could be made there, depending on the number of people who come out. We may be able to use just the lower baskets if the head count is small enough.
DanH
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2008 12:29:52 PM

If we can split #7 and add 4 temps, that would probably be the way to go so we don't have to crowd 5 on a card for a 26 hole round. I really hope it doesn't rain because I like the course as is, but we have to at least be prepared for it.

I'll try to scope some of those temps out before Sunday.
2Timer
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2008 12:35:00 PM

It is good to be prepared. Maybe that is why I haven't ran one because I didn't even think about it. Sorry about the earlier post Dan. I just get upset when idiots post about their idiot friends doing idiot things and trying to justify it by saying that is was good for the course and sport. There is a practice hole by the parking lot, but is a pitch and putt hole.
13ruce-1337
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2008 2:39:42 PM

Well that pretty much resolves it .. skipping this CSS
2Timer
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2008 2:49:57 PM

It was resolved when the city came down and destroyed the tee pad. The Boone CCS is coming up soon. Maybe Bowen can get down there before then and make whatever changes he thinks might help the course. Hopefully he'll set them up so that we can throw over as many walking paths as possible.
T_Vincent
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2008 4:51:47 PM

2Timer, You have to be talking about long 2. We were there Sun and didn't even think about it. You would never see someone walking down that path until you hit them in the head. I do like the adjustment for 5 though, it is a much different hole. Use short 2 for the CCS and long 5 (maybe). Sharing a tee pad for two holes is not a great idea, and that tee is not as nice anyway.

I can bring a basket just in case we need it.
STEVO
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2008 5:04:01 PM

Hole 7 is the course's signature hole, in my opinion.  I can see why it might need to be split to make an extra hole, but it would still be a shame. cry
alexh
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2008 5:26:00 PM

It sounds like too much arguing and talking to me. When it rains how about we use the original course and are just careful walking down this one crazy hill? Walking around, finding an alternate path or something? I agree with whoever said it; if we are considering so many changes just in case it rains- putting temp holes and all that, why don't we just call it off, and move to a place that is ready to go as it is no matter what weather?
mikekem
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2008 6:44:03 PM

Wow, lots of discussion! I know there is path that goes from the end of 13 and ends up getting near 9's tee that is far less precarious than 14's fairway. I accidently took this trail the first time I played. This route can be used and we can cut out hole 14 and route players to hole 15 if there is a problem. This will need marking and may cause confusion but it is one possible solution. I'd rather not set up 6 temp holes out there, not sure if it is even possible. One temp hole isn't a problem but six is quite a few this late in the game. If we want to maintain a 19 hole course I'll bring one basket and figure out a place for it.
DanH
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2008 6:54:57 PM

I just played there, and came to the same conclusion as Mike. If we really have to, we can just skip the steep hole (14), and take the trail to 9, and then down the hill from there to 15. So worst case, we just skip one hole.