Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

2008 Course Challenge Series Options
2Timer
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2008 8:49:23 AM

alexh wrote:
It sounds like too much arguing and talking to me. When it rains how about we use the original course and are just careful walking down this one crazy hill? Walking around, finding an alternate path or something? I agree with whoever said it; if we are considering so many changes just in case it rains- putting temp holes and all that, why don't we just call it off, and move to a place that is ready to go as it is no matter what weather?

Yeah....like when we moved it from Oxford when they had all that construction up there instead of bringing all of those temp baskets.
2Timer
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2008 8:53:06 AM

T_Vincent wrote:
2Timer, You have to be talking about long 2. We were there Sun and didn't even think about it. You would never see someone walking down that path until you hit them in the head. I do like the adjustment for 5 though, it is a much different hole. Use short 2 for the CCS and long 5 (maybe). Sharing a tee pad for two holes is not a great idea, and that tee is not as nice anyway. I can bring a basket just in case we need it.

Exactly!!!  The city made it perfectly clear that they did not want any holes playing over the walking paths for obvious reasons.  Great idea Mike about not playing 14 if it rains.  It is a little slippery now and it is dry.
dscar19
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2008 1:57:37 PM

This may be a stupid question but I cant find a list(if any) remaining course challenges for 08. If their listed Im sorry I cant find them can someone post schedule?
Thx
D
mikekem
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2008 2:22:27 PM

There are 3 ccs' left and they are listed in two places on the site. Under events -> cincinnati events and also listed on the front page under home page events. Williamsburg, Boone, and Banklick are left.
Liz
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2008 8:37:50 PM

Boone will be changed to AJ, unless I have enough opposition...soon, b/c we need to send out notices about the change.
DanH
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2008 9:03:07 PM

I oppose. I think I'm the minority though.
Eric Simpson
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2008 9:08:38 PM

I'm with you Dan. Small consolation, I know. AJ must be an acquired taste.
alexh
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2008 9:50:02 PM

I am with Dan too, although I have never played AJ:) But I am not going to play that weekend anyways :)
finnhawc
Posted: Thursday, September 11, 2008 10:07:21 PM

As for AJ- no, please. As for Williamsburg, two things: for hole five consider putting the tee back on the walking path about 60 to 80 feet back from the original tee because the hole is butchered from the ad-hoc 2/5 holes-now defunct. And most importantly I need a ride from Wyoming at Springfield Pike near Fleming. Please, call me at (513)388-0141.
matthew_blakely
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2008 12:18:45 AM

The plan was for a redesigned Boone. Well From what I've heard that isn't complete and from what I've heard the Big Boone Format can't be layed out like normal due to some different planting of trees and shrubs on and around the park.

Since that stuff is the case and people will be playing boone for ace race and Day glow. I would think AJ would be the better choice. Better baskets and better course in my opinion than normal boone. But I'm guessing I won't be there either way so I will leave that up to the TD's and public, but I would think a conclusion should be formed before this weekend and annouced this weekend at the course challenge if possible.

Good luck to all that get to play.
L_Stephens
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2008 12:25:57 AM

I play Boone when I'm running late for work and only have an hour to play...so Idlewild is out of the question....and you don't want to hold a course challenge out there right now. The baskets are in such bad shape it is almost embarrassing. I hate AJ and Boone is just minutes away...but really..the baskets are crap at the moment. Half the baskets have chains hanging straight down with the bottom rings broken. Putts are frustrating. For the Ace Race we need to do some serious work on the baskets to keep those discs in.
STEVO
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2008 2:29:52 PM

Matt is right about the situation at Boone.  I've always liked the Big Boone layout, but if new trees are blocking 2 or 3 of the temp holes, and the regular baskets are that bad, and the new design isn't ready yet, why play there?  Plus, I understand that some of what little greenspace there is out there has been removed, making it even more barren.

So, what's with all the hatin' on AJ Jolly?  The course is challenging but not too brutal, decent mix of short and long holes, a few in the woods, several holes bring water into play, and it's a picturesque setting.  The relatively flat layout is a nice change of pace, so everyone won't be exhausted at the end of the day, which might actually come before 6pm for a change.

If the Boone baskets were in half-way decent shape, I'd vote for a Burlington CCS, one round at Idlewild and one round at regular Boone, like Dan's Ice Bowl. cold
2Timer
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2008 3:39:54 PM

I don't understand the issue with A.J either. The only thing I can think of is that errant throws can be easily lost in the water on a few holes which may scare a few people off. As for Williamsburg, if the rain keeps up like this we may have to bring canoes down there because it does flood rather easily. I will see if I can get an update on the situation.
2Timer
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2008 3:50:59 PM

I have been told that the course is in great shape. The city came out today with a bush hog and cleaned up holes 6-9.
13ruce-1337
Posted: Friday, September 12, 2008 4:55:28 PM

Told you Williamsburg in place of Burnett was a bad idea.. I hope the club considers this weekends fiasco for next year .. good luck for everyone who is gonna try n brave the rapids. Hope things work out ok for you Mike (your a brave soul)
finnhawc
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2008 2:53:39 AM

STOP THE INSANITY! The Williamsburg course is in great shape, Chad. In the dry as a bone condition that it is in, the course should be able to soak up quite a bit of rain. Last time I checked(WED) their was but a trickle of water in the river. As for fiasco- did I miss the tourney already dang it that Super Collider in France/Switzerland has messed up the space/time continuum. I hate worm holes- hey... I think I know how to play that dog-leg left now though. To quote Sargent Hulka from Stripes, "Lighten up, Francis!" I still need a ride from the I-75/I-275 Ohio area- anyone? Chad? cmon play the tourney so you can tell me I told you so all the way home. Wait I think you already did... I'm so confused!   (734)-353-9607
BIGBOY
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2008 5:38:05 AM

Chad, just be happy that we have a CCS to play at all. Just because we are spoiled here in the Nati doesn't mean you have to act like it. Smile and be happy that you can wake up this morning and go throw a disc. Lighten up and eat some fiber. You sound like you might be cramping!
13ruce-1337
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2008 3:35:56 PM

I love how anytime someone has an opinion on here they are automatically not getting enough fiber in their diet. This is a forum no?
Unless you have some kind of point to make, personal attacks on other people are pretty childish.
My suggestion to anyone who doesn't like what I say or how I say it .. start a thread on www.kissmyarse.com or www.stfu.org and we can flame each other all day long.
finnhawc
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2008 3:45:42 PM

Nah, I'll use this forum instead. I don't like that you consider this CCS event a fiasco even though it hasn't taken place yet. Chad, just come play the dang tournament and we will have fun for sure. And I'm am trying to get you there by any means necessary. Give me a ride there, I have gas money! :-)
STEVO
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2008 4:37:41 PM

John, call me if you still need a ride tomorrow.  I'm coming down I-75 from West Chester, then around I-275 to the East side.
Steve M. 513-607-8595
2Timer
Posted: Saturday, September 13, 2008 5:49:25 PM

13ruce-1337 wrote:
I love how anytime someone has an opinion on here they are automatically not getting enough fiber in their diet. This is a forum no? Unless you have some kind of point to make, personal attacks on other people are pretty childish. My suggestion to anyone who doesn't like what I say or how I say it .. start a thread on www.kissmyarse.com or www.stfu.org and we can flame each other all day long.

13ruce-1337 wrote"Ya lots of hard work out there. Epically busting up other peoples hard work installing longer pads on 2 and 5 . supposedly the ACOE deemed the area an erosion zone so "The Village" had to tear up what someone had done to make the course better. sounds like a load of bull to me. And right before course challenge weekend too.  Its lack of cooperation like this that makes me not want to drive to Willburg at all .  idiots running the show out there in my humble opinion.  Im still wondering why we arent playing Burnett/Cinci State instead."

Apparently personal attacks are fine as long as it is in your humble opinion!
13ruce-1337
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2008 10:51:00 AM

Well everyone knows MY humble opinion is the only one that matters anyway.
**lets make note of the sarcastic tone here folks before this turns into a mudsling-a-thon**

perica
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2008 4:13:10 PM

sooooooo, did the course challenge even happen with this crazy wind? i bet it was interesting out there.
DanH
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2008 7:09:42 PM

It happened. We had 5 DNF's, but the rest of us braved it out. It was f****** crazy and hilarious at the same time. I watched my Flick turn over vertical and then blow backwards 150ft OB just for an example. Everything went smoothly and the course was in good shape otherwise. Congrats to the survivors of the first Williamsburg Hurricane open. Good luck to those with damage to their houses or electricity out.
T_Vincent
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2008 9:10:55 PM

Even though the second round scores for most people were nothing to brag about, it was a blast. With the way the wind effected the discs, all you could do is laugh. Shots you thought would be short got picked up and dropped nicely. Long low shots became high and wide. Putting was an adventure from any distance. Great time. Yes, the event went smooth, with 47 people was had groups of 3 and the day flowed. Thanks again to Mike, Alex & Dan for a well done event.