Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

2008 Course Challenge Series Options
2Timer
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2008 9:19:25 PM

great time. That second round sure was an adventure. If you didn't show up cause you wanted to watch the Bengals game, just remember.........the Bengals didn't show up either.  Thanks Dan, Alex and Mike.....greatly appreciated.
Eric Simpson
Posted: Sunday, September 14, 2008 9:42:37 PM

Thanks Mike, Alex, and Dan. Also, thanks to everyone on my cards today. I love playing with friendly cards, it makes poor shooting not so bad.
rangel
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2008 8:32:16 AM

It was the most fun I've seen in a group of disc golfers in quite some time. So many people so far out of their element. I did shoot the same score both rounds.
DanH
Posted: Monday, September 15, 2008 7:59:09 PM

Scores are up.  So you know, when you get electricity, you can check it out.
JRott
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2008 8:36:38 AM

I still haven't heard an official location for the next CC. AJ or Boone?
matthew_blakely
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2008 12:29:04 PM

matthew_blakely wrote:
Sorry for the Delay Here is the course challenge schedule and who is running them Thanks to all that voluntered to help. March 8th Mt. Airy Course Challenge Ran By Pete Caldwell, Brad Anderson,Tony Vincent, and Adam Jones April 12th Idlewild Course Challenge Ran by Kevin Brasheer, and Eric Simpson May 24th Gulley Course Challenge Ran by Ben Shooner, and Matthew Johnston June 28th Turtle Creek / Monroe Course Challenge Ran By Dayton Disc Golf Association. July 19th Oxford Course Challenge Ran by John Kuhns and Steve Mahl August 2nd Harbin Course Challenge Ran by Brian Kaplan and Liz Shooner September 13th Williamsburg Course Challenge Ran By Liz Shooner and Brad Anderson October 11th Boone Course Challenge Ran by Dan Bayless and Keith Dailey if Course is not ready we will play AJ Jolly November 1st Banklick Course Challenge Ran by Dan Bayless and Jeff Eades

Here is a post from February 2008

SO I guess I am Making the call to the TD's? 
Well one of them is around still.
Dan are you still able to run this course challenge?
If so where do you want to run it at?
In my personal opinion AJ Jolly would be the better course for the course challenge.  Better baskets, more difficult, and the downside further away. 
I would like to be able to annouce a final decision Saturday and as a club send out notification. 
Well I guess that is it for now, good luck with the game

discndat
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2008 12:49:41 PM

shocked I'm still around and yes, I will run this event and I was under the impression that it was decided to be AJ. Liz had posted something to that effect several posts up I believe, but I guess we didn't actually say the final decision, so yes, it is on for AJ. That will make a few people happy and a few unhappy, so it's pretty even I'd say. We will get to play Boone on the 18 anyway for the Ace Race Day Glo Mini Golf (check another thread for updates on that).
Liz
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2008 1:28:50 PM

Dan - I can help you run it. We'll probably need to call Dennis to make sure we can get into the park that day - do you want to call him or you want me to?
DanH
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2008 4:44:26 PM

Kevin has the TD box and board for use at KY Dubs. I still have the folder. I'll bring it down to Idlewild on Sat.
Liz
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2008 3:46:23 PM

I spoke with Dennis, he assured me the park would be open, I got his cell #, just in case we show up and it's not. See you on the 11th. Come on out and enjoy the beauty of AJ!
PaulDmt
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2008 8:29:02 AM

I'll pass on AJ.  It is scenic what with beautiful fall colors...  err... browns that are showing right now.
STEVO
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2008 8:12:40 AM

They've already decided on AJ Jolly, Paul.

....So, what exactly are you talking about?  You would play AJ, if only the leaves were green?!?
PaulDmt
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2008 11:52:04 AM

yeah, that's why I phrased it as "I'll pass" and not "My vote would be to keep the course challenge at Boone". There can be a scenic value to playing there in the fall. Some years when the leaves are turning reds, yellows, etc. No, I still wouldn't play it. Just no interest in playing there.

I am concerned though that people may show up at Boone still since I don't recall seeing an email or letter go out informing people.
Liz
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2008 5:42:21 PM

matthew_blakely wrote:

I would like to be able to annouce a final decision Saturday and as a club send out notification. 
Well I guess that is it for now, good luck with the game

Paul - we are sending out notifications to club members - this week - we still have two weeks to the CC.
STEVO
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2008 9:35:27 AM

I know, Paul, just working ya.  But the amount of opposition to playing AJ seems odd.  It is kind of a far drive for most, but not a very hard layout, fairly user-friendly, and makes for a pretty short tournament day.  Plus, as Liz and others have pointed out, at this point there wasn't a way to make Boone work. 

I think Burnett would have also been a good alternative, but then everybody would have to drag their temp baskets there to make it 18 holes.
discndat
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2008 12:02:21 PM

Just my 2 cents worth: I think AJ is a long haul for alot of people, especially those on the Ohio side. Heck, it's a long haul from the KY side, unless you live close.  I think it's a fun course but not the most fun and challenging for many disc golfers to make that kind of a haul. Secondly, the admission to the course is another hindrance to some people. I still think the park should atleast cut the fee in half when we are sending that many people out there. As Steve said we could have went to Burnet - then no fees. Then the park would have been out all that money. I suppose we could set up on the upper side of Hole #1 there and not actually go in the park. You put that fee on top of gas $ to get there and in today's economy you've eliminated a bunch of people right there. Probably not going to get many, if any, Dayton people to go all that way. Some people might not like the fact that there is more of a likelihood that they may lose discs to the water hazards there. Now, just remember, I'm just answering some posts here as to "why" the resistance to AJ. I'm not saying I'm on either side. Heck, I'm running the tournament. See ya there.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2008 12:44:00 PM

A quote from Dennis Reller the AJ Jolly park supervisor:
"Reller wrote:
Fred,
The Ranger station closes on 9-30-2008.

I asked him if the gate would still be open on Oct 18 and he said yes. So if you go to the course challenge at AJ you should not be charged an entrance fee. The leaves should be looking pretty good by that time, it's worth the trip just to see the fall colors.
2Timer
Posted: Monday, September 29, 2008 1:02:00 PM

I think that it is funny that some folks are complaining about the trip. The Williamsburg CC was the first time I didn't have to drive 30-45 minutes to any CC.
Liz
Posted: Thursday, October 02, 2008 9:18:49 AM

So, who has the TD box and notebook? I have a scoreboard.
Liz
Posted: Thursday, October 02, 2008 10:14:03 AM

Notices about the change in schedule are being mailed out electronically and snail mail today. Thanks for everyone's input, patience and advice.
KevinB
Posted: Friday, October 03, 2008 9:31:27 PM

Liz,
I've got a scoreboard and I believe Fred has the box. I'll give you a call about getting it back to you once I get my hands on both things, which should be this weekend.
kb
alexh
Posted: Saturday, October 04, 2008 7:43:25 AM

Liz, we have the binder with all the paperwork. Dan will bring it with him to AJ.
Liz
Posted: Thursday, October 09, 2008 7:15:18 AM

Kevin - did you ever find out about the TD box? We'll need it this weekend. I need to know if we have enough boardcards and scorecards, please let me know asap. thanks.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Thursday, October 09, 2008 9:13:04 AM

Liz, I've got the box. I thought DanH took it from the Ky States. Where can I drop it off?
discndat
Posted: Thursday, October 09, 2008 9:38:13 AM

If you can get it to me, Liz or Jeff Eades that would be good Fred. Thanks