Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

2008 Course Challenge Series Options
STEVO
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2007 7:31:13 AM

Okay, what was the reason again why Open players deserved added money?....In a non-sanctioned, local tournament series??

....How did that work out for Open turnout this year?
Kool Keith
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2007 3:27:44 PM

The Open division was given the cash because anyone is welcome to go get it. The Open division was given the cash because it was a donation by club members that wanted it to go to Open division.

AM divisions were also given bonus prizes this year in the form $50 worth of Disc N Dat gift certs for the AM divisions at each CCS. And the AM Women were given bonus discs by the club.

If you want bonus _______, lobby for it at a club meeting and get support. Or, go out and raise your bonus through your own work and then put it into the pot for your division.

Ask the club for $ to use to buy a raffle prize, then hold your own raffle. Historically, it's worked.
BrandonBradshaw
Posted: Saturday, November 10, 2007 4:42:12 PM

I was one of those who benefited from the Disc N Dat gift certificates for AM prizes. I thought it was a great added bonus for AM players who chose not to play open and compete for cash.
BIGBOY
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2007 3:07:51 PM

So is everyone down with doing a Laptop raffle for the open division?
2Timer
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2007 4:05:12 PM

Down!!!!!!!
andersab
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2007 6:39:34 PM

I don't think it is a good idea considering how fast technology advances in that space. I don't know where you are going to get a company to guarantee you a computer for $x.

If we did, are you going to raffle it as a machine that will be worth $x? But without details? I don't know a lot of people that would buy a ticket if this was so.

Just something to think about...
Fred Salaz
Posted: Thursday, November 15, 2007 9:45:30 PM

Maybe the club should just buy a lap top for use in pdga tourneys instead of using personal pc's to make reports to the pdga?
Liz
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2007 6:01:12 AM

I have to agree with Brad, not sure if a laptop is the best thing for a raffle.
NEngle
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2007 6:06:12 AM

One of the nice things about the grill is that we were able to get it for less than wholesale.
BIGBOY
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2007 11:24:14 AM

How long does the raffle go for, 4months? Someone that buys a $700 computer is not looking for the best of the best. They just want to email, surf the web, download pictures, and the like. I don't believe 4months is that big of a time laps. If we were buying a $2,000 laptop I would see your point. I do understand that we got the grill at wholesale but what other products are available to us at wholesale. I think we would have no trouble selling raffle tickets at $10 for a decently nice computer. Everyone wants one but not everyone wants one bad enough to drop the big bucks but they will drop $10 for the chance. Just my thoughts.
Kool Keith
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2007 11:40:29 AM

John - you can do this without the involvement of the club. It was ALMOST done that way before.

Go out on Black Friday, whip some 67 year old lady and get a laptop for $400. You'll need to get up very early and go to BestCircuitHH-Mart to do so.

blackfirday.info
BIGBOY
Posted: Friday, November 16, 2007 4:10:05 PM

Keith, You up for going out with me. My boy will have to go because my wife is working.
Kool Keith
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2007 6:58:37 AM

I may be at Sears that morning buying a flat screen for the man cave. I'll call you early this week.
Phil Miller
Posted: Saturday, November 17, 2007 9:45:26 PM

If you buy one from Dell I can get a small discount thanks to my company. I saved like 300 on my personal laptop.
mike_kemner
Posted: Sunday, November 18, 2007 6:48:19 AM

With Christmas coming up Dell will be having a ton of great Promotions. You'll have to pay attention and act fast though. Some of these promotions are great but they expire fast because so many people take advantage of them. Slickdeals.net has deals listed but you'll have to check the page often for the reasons listed above.
DanH
Posted: Monday, November 19, 2007 2:23:36 AM

Monroe/Turtlecreek showdown. I love it! I've got some ideas to toughen up the easy holes at TC too. An Island hole for #2 and an elevated basket for #5 should make it more interesting. The woods holes are tough enough as is I think. :smoke
LStephens
Posted: Sunday, November 25, 2007 8:09:06 PM

Are we ever going to revisit the idea of having 3 or more of the CC events as C Tier PDGA events? If not...why not? Is it financial? Is it the lack of volunteers...because it seems the same people would handle the CC or the C Tier. Is it due to a fact I don't know about....like do some locals just hate PDGA events for some political reason?

This year I've played events all over the region and I see many C Tiers with points posted for their local series. So others are doing this...so why aren't we? I may be in the minority but if I have...well all year I've made this choice...but if I have a choice between a PDGA event of any tier level or a CC, I choose to play in the PDGA sanctioned event.

I feel it is a shame that Cincinnati is blessed with sooooooo many courses yet we have fewer tournaments than some areas with much fewer courses. Can we atleast open debate on this?
matthew_blakely
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2007 5:37:51 AM

Lee
There are multiple reasons:

One Added Work
Two Added Cost
Three Some people play different divisions in the CC Series than what they do in PDGA tournaments

Lots of arguments either way. I personally think the CC series is good like it is.

I plan on personally running two pdga C-tiers this year. We also have the Disc-n-Dat, Flying Pig Open, KY State Singles and Doubles tournaments.

rangel
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2007 7:18:07 AM

I am agreeing with Matt.
Changing the CCS events to C tiers will change one thing and should change a second.

First. The price points will change. They have to according to the PDGA rules and Matt knows about such things.
Second. C tier events SHOULD lower the number of people playing for money. Or. It SHOULD drive the more advanced AMs back to their hunting ground(s). A CCS event (average) over the last six years shows 25 people playing for money out of 60 total. That's nearly 45%. By contrast. There were 30 C tier events this year in the KY and OH area. Of those 30 events, none (that's zero) events achieved 45% playing for money. Further, only three of those 30 events had fields where 33% played for money.

More or less people playing for money is a debatable topic. One in which I have nothing to gain either way. It does seem to me that more debate (and resources) have been given to getting more people to play up. If that is true, then C tier events would be, IMO, counter productive.
DanH
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2007 7:19:37 AM

#3 is a good point. It would screw up the CCS points when people moved down a division for the PDGA. Not to mention the extra Am division PDGA events will have in 2008.

I see to solutions:

1. We could do what Columbus does and make them all C-Tiers.
2. We could calculate what each player would have placed in their normal division based on their score, and record it like that for the CCS points. Technically that would be easy to do once its in the database, but it may confuse people. I think it would be worth it have more PDGA's though.

As for cost, I think people would be willing to pay a little more for entry or sponsor some holes to cover the added PDGA fee.
LStephens
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2007 9:48:14 AM

The point about people moving down a division for the PDGA. Is that a high percentage of people? I thought the real problem was people starting out the year as say an Intermediate and being forced up after a ratings change...but that argument is negated by the fact that the PDGA grants the TD the option of allowing higher rated players to bump down a division if they are a part of a Points Series as long as that fact is noted on the Sanctioning Agreement. Also this year Ams can play as pros and except merch and lower rated pros it seems can bounce between Open and Advanced at will.

The price points will change? Nobody said they had to be expensive...I played a tournament this year as a rec for $7 and as an intermediate for $10...both C Tiers. I guess the real arguement is the higher non-PDGA fee of $10 this year. I also see financially where the local dude in the van can't make any money for prize packages.

Soon we will have 30 courses in this area. When I tell people how many courses we have here they are both stunned and envious. They admire that fact that the sport has really taken off in the Cincy area and wish they had more than one or two courses to play. Let's bring in more PDGA sanctioned tournaments. Let's bring these people to our city and show them our courses. Let the likes of Nick Engle put on a TD clinic and show them how it should be done. Let's make them jealous that we don't even have to get a hotel room to play a full disc golf season.

If not...we can just make excuses for not doing this or that...and I'll see you guys on the road 2-3 hours or more away complaining about gas prices and having to leave so early to get there.

I'll end with the fact that I'm not going to complain without offering my help. I'll help in any way possible in a PDGA sanctioned event or the preperation of a PDGA sanctioned event.
bobherb
Posted: Monday, November 26, 2007 10:39:37 AM

Your volunteeristic attitude is great.

I have the perspective of a person who has been playing, with decent success at PDGA events (several World's, Japan, etc.) for about 17 years. From my experience, C-tier events, in general do not attract many traveling golfers. However, if a C-tier develops a great reputation, which can take a couple years, it can begin to attract more travelers. This usually results in the tourney becoming a B-tier and possibly A-tier if it continues to grow.

I would suggest to those with motivation to T.D. tournaments, concentrate your effort and start out running a one day B-tier event (on two courses if you like) instead of trying to run two or more C-tier tourneys. This will attract more travelers and likely be a more rewarding experience for T.D.'s and players alike.

Also, I think there is a place for the Course Challenge series not being PDGA sanctioned. I have self-debated this for a long time. Years ago, the City Championship was more important because there weren't so many PDGA tournaments. Now there are so many it is often possible to travel just two hours, on a given weekend, in three different directions to three different PDGA tournaments. If we could coordinate with other cities we could possibly have more really nice B-tier tournaments which do not conflict with each other... and only have one per weekend to choose from.

The CC Series is definitely a good way for new players to be introduced to competitive disc golf without all of the PDGA expense, extreme rules adherence, etc.

There is more but this is enough for now.
Liz
Posted: Monday, December 03, 2007 6:01:18 PM

With a little bit of research, we may have found a fundraising opportunity - working a concession booth at a Reds game - I'm attaching a flyer giving some details, so basically, if we had 20 or so volunteers - that would mean working 6 games, it would bring at least $65 per volunteer per game, the potential $ is huge, but the commitment may be an obstacle, but we could add more $ to the CCS (to more divisions, etc), LOTS of $ to the Pig, etc. So....I need comments, ideas, etc. Do we think enough people would pitch in to help out and actually follow through with the commitment??????? :think

File Attachment(s):
Fundraising_Opportunity.doc (37kb) downloaded 9 time(s).

Addicted_to_Rocs
Posted: Tuesday, December 04, 2007 6:52:08 AM

For everyone that doesn't know who this is, my name is Kris Fowler. Just moved down from Dayton a couple of months ago. So far my experiences with everyone in the club have been nothing but great. I would look forward to any opportunity to help out my new found friends. Please let me know as we progress with any details. I'll also try to get gimpy Ken to pitch in! :)
BIGBOY
Posted: Tuesday, December 04, 2007 7:31:26 AM

Liz,

I am in and willing to work to help out the club.

kuhns