Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

2008 Course Challenge Series Options
finnhawc
Posted: Tuesday, December 04, 2007 7:50:14 AM

Count on me for 2 games at the least; geat opportunity, we sould be able to muster some disc golfers out their holes.
Ben Shooner
Posted: Tuesday, December 04, 2007 12:54:11 PM

This could be a great source of added cash IF we could get enough people to work. It's not free money by any stretch-we'd be working for it. It would be in the range of 500 man hours-120 'shifts' total if we did the minimum 12 games. I'm waiting on more info on the particulars-we'll keep you posted.
andersab
Posted: Tuesday, December 04, 2007 1:06:26 PM

I would be up for the reds game volunteering. I think that if you volunteer then your $$ should go to your division though.
KevinB
Posted: Tuesday, December 04, 2007 1:27:51 PM

This is a great opportunity, not only for the $, but for publicity for the club as well.
LSU does this sort of thing at Tiger Stadium and I have done it a few times in the past. The time flies by, oddly enough it is fun and you can't deny the financial incentives.
It's just a matter of getting the people from the club to volunteer the time. I can do a few.
mike_kemner
Posted: Tuesday, December 04, 2007 7:41:22 PM

Sounds like fun. I should be able to do a few.
DanH
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2007 5:11:50 AM

Excuse my complete baseball ignorance, but how long will a shift turn out to be approximately? And what will be the responsibilities working in a concession stand?
BIGBOY
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2007 6:52:30 AM

Dan/ Everyone,

If you look at the attachment that Liz posted on the 1st page you will find the details but a quick overview. We will be responsible for an entire consection (sp) area. From cooking dogs to serving drinks. I believe it would be easier if we got a beer only both, I believe they have those. But the problem with serving beer is we have to check ID's and not serve people that are stupid drunk. You know how stupid people get when you tell them they can not be served. A good question to ask is if we serve a guy too many beers and he goes out after the game and drives through a mall a kills 25 people would we be held responsible. I believe the law says that we would, but since I am not a lawyer I am not sure. Anyway it would be easier to just pour drinks and not have to cook. We are also responsible for setup and clean up of booth and taking in the money. I would guess that a game is about 4 hours so we are looking at 5-6 hours for a game. Does that sound right to everyone? It is possible for a game to go extra innings or have rain delays and that could extend the game even longer. Kevin is right, the time would fly by. During an inning the sales would be slower but between inning we would be busting it to serve people. I believe we can get the games covered. Ben, do we get to pick the games? Games during business hours would be hard to cover. I believe we should over commit. If they say we need 10 people we need to schedule 12 people to show up. If we can get this done people will need to commit and be there, no excuses! I just want to make sure I get to work with Keith so I can launch weiners at him.

kuhns
Ben Shooner
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2007 8:36:27 AM

I'm not sure yet about the scheduling-the vast majority of the games seem to be 7pm on weekdays though. I'm no lawyer either-but I can't imagine we'd be held liable. Someone could appear totally fine, be served, and then still get in a wreck-so I don't see how that would stick.

I've slung fast food at McD's, church festivals, and Phish parking lots-and it really can be a lot of fun if you've got a good crew. Hopefully this will be doable.

Fred Salaz
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2007 8:55:24 AM

Personally, I would have to vote no on this idea. It would probably be fun the first couple of times but after a while it will be like work. It will be tough to get that many people to commit for that many games.
As a club we should concentrate on working with the new disc golfers to make them better players and to make course improvements and we need to bang on doors till we get businesses to sponsor our tournaments. That's the bottom line.
This idea would just be taking our money(we worked for it) and turn it over to the tournament. Who would benefit from that? I would be better off just giving the club the $65.00 from my own pocket and going out to practice so I could win it back.
bschick
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2007 9:49:04 AM

Fred, I think you could spend the money you make where ever you want, right? That would mean some for course improvements, maybe a new laptop for the club, maybe some for all the PDGA tourneys in town, etc. Getting the opportunity to get this kind of money seems more than rare, but once you commit, there is no backing down. Cincy has such a big club with a lot of great people, I think this sounds great.

I emailed the person in that flyer to ask if they have anything like this in C-bus. She got me a phone number and I have left a message to get some details. It is definitely worth looking in to and I too think it would be fun. I don't know about working with big boy and him playing with wieners?
Liz
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2007 10:56:34 AM

Fred, I don't think necessarily there would need to be a "vote", I mean if we have enough people that are willing, then we can run with it, if not, then no. If you would rather not help out in this situation, that's fine as well. And you can always give $65 to the club anytime you would like, in fact, we can take it from you at the meeting, if that is convenient for you. :smile
BIGBOY
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2007 3:33:04 PM

Have we ever thought of selling Entertainment books to raise money for the club. I believe Fred has a contact and could lead us in the right direction. I realize this would be a difficult task seeing how everyone in the club is spread so far around southern ohio and NKY, but it could be worth at least looking into and seeing what possiblities are out there.
Liz
Posted: Wednesday, December 05, 2007 6:09:26 PM

I had thought of that as well, but to be honest, I've already been approached by several people selling them, not sure if anyone else has as well, but it seems to be a very popular method of fundraising, which could pose as an obstacle.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Thursday, December 06, 2007 10:57:42 AM

Liz, I'll play you a game of pool for it. Would all local tournaments benefit from this venture? If so then I may be more likely to help out but not if it's only for the CCS. The CCS used to be for bragging rigts but it's turned into bragging rights and lots of cash...
2Timer
Posted: Thursday, December 06, 2007 1:23:14 PM

And what's wrong with winning some cash?!?!
Fred Salaz
Posted: Thursday, December 06, 2007 2:18:32 PM

Nothing, it's all good. It's just that, for me, the CCS has lost it's appeal. It's just another tournament now.
matthew_blakely
Posted: Thursday, December 06, 2007 3:04:58 PM

What is different Fred?
Liz
Posted: Thursday, December 06, 2007 5:28:11 PM

I would imagine if the minimum amount of $ we could collect is $7600 - the $ would be dispersed to all the local tournaments, including the Pig, the BGO, Masters, KY States, CCS, Deuce or Die, etc. That's a hell of a lot of $, much more than any other fundraising we've done in the past.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Thursday, December 06, 2007 5:42:02 PM

Not sure Matt, burn out I guess. How about some MTA in between rounds to mix it up. I always enjoyed watching you trying to catch a frisbee. Now that's funny....
finnhawc
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2007 7:37:05 AM

It would be very cool to incorporate some other disc games into the CCS: DDC, MTA, SCF, Guts. The added money (IMO) just helps draw folks from farther away like C-Bus and Dayton. As a semi-pro I like to have more competition. We do have a unique series here that is not about the money at all. If you look at the open payout chart the winner whether have 5 or 40 participants is within 15 dollars or so; it is a fairly flat structure. The CCs has become about the cash? Now, that's funny. SCF watch how funny each other is on the run...
Ben Shooner
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2007 8:34:41 AM

The point isn't to make the CCS a big-money tourney. IMO the CCS is great for 2 groups of players: 1)Newer players who have the chance for a taste of competition at a very low cost, and 2)Any player who is attempting to win the title for that division for the entire year. In these ways, it is different than most any other tournament, or tournament series.

The added cash was a way to save the Open division by encouraging Adv players to move up and Masters players to move over. It seemed to work last year.
finnhawc
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2007 10:05:08 AM

Ben, to qoute Arnold the Governator from Conan the Barbarian the commentary track- "Exactly!"
BIGBOY
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2007 10:07:38 AM

Yeah, what Ben said....I enjoy the CCS when I can make it. It is a nice little local tourney that I don't need to fork out a lot of cash for a little competition. If I happen to do well great, if I don't great. It is still a good time. Fred do you not enjoy my company anymore? I would like to see some of them become a C tier but oh well.

Finn, we have tried to play other disc games at other tournaments and people are just not interested. I love playing DDC but it is hard to get people to play. They will say how great of an idea it is but when it comes down to it they do not participate.
bobherb
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2007 3:48:29 PM

Quote:
Liz - 12/6/2007 8:28 PM

I would imagine if the minimum amount of $ we could collect is $7600 - the $ would be dispersed to all the local tournaments, including the Pig, the BGO, Masters, KY States, CCS, Deuce or Die, etc. That's a hell of a lot of $, much more than any other fundraising we've done in the past.

If this stadium fundraising does happen, I think it would only be fair if the folks who do the actual work are able to designate the division (they choose/play in) the money is directed. We should not ignore who is doing the work. It would be motivational for those who can work to know they are pumping up their own division - FAIR ENOUGH???!!!
Anyone out their think other players are their disc golf slaves???

If growth of the game (participants) is really a valued priority, then why not make the CCS (a low stress way to introduce new players) be more of a value to "new" players. This does not mean that "all" of the $7600 (WOW Liz) goes to new/AM players, but perhaps a more balanced distribution (across all divisions) could be considered. The Pro women's division (another example) should be included in receiving some added $ at CCS tourneys too.

Newbies, playing in the novice division, could perhaps play for no entry fee, receive a free disc, and just play for braggin' rights. All divisions should benefit. I think this would bring out many new players - play for free on the club. Giving free things to newbies would be good P.R. and likely get the club some free press/advertising. FREE is very attractive and gets attention!!!
pcaldwell
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2007 5:19:16 PM

Free? And give discs away? I pity the poor TD trying to figure how to put 120 players on a 90 person course...of course, they won't know they need extra holes until 9:20 a.m. when they hit 91, 92, 93...Would Club members have priority? Free spots only available after 9:30 a.m.? I can't see doing this when some CC's already have 5-somes.

If you want to bring more people to 'organized play' - then have a separate tournament for newbies. Benevolent players like Bob can help run them and teach their skills to the lesser skilled players. Throw some Club discs behind it. Have demonstrations and instructional opportunities. Will anyone show up? Maybe. Maybe not. The club used to participate in the World's Biggest Discgolf Weekend, before Hauck ripped us off, but it took quite a few volunteers quite a few hours to run it for little gain - and we had some demo's there.

The idea of the CCS originally was to give locals a chance at medium-stressful tournament play, without the big $, travel, and hassle. Having some money in it keeps the better players around and yields higher-stress competition. It can be difficult enough, with the number of newbies we already get, for players to take time during the round to help, coach, and teach them the basics of tournament play. I enjoy it, but it can definitely affect your focus. The last thing I think we need is to do is drop the competitive level of the CCS.

Maybe it's time for the CCS to change - with all the PDGA events to choose from, these days? Possibly. But, I still like the CCS, especially as my kids get closer to playing age (whatever that really is), and my ability to travel diminishes. But, if the focus of the series changes to recreational and promotional, then I suspect the better players will forgo them in favor of the PDGA events a couple hours away as they look for better competition.