Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics | Members

2008 Course Challenge Series Options
Dragon
Posted: Friday, December 07, 2007 8:59:39 PM

It's admirable what you guys want to do with this concession stand and, with out meaning to be cynical I too don't think all the voluntarism will last to it's completion accept for a few dedicated souls but, I do wish all of you luck in your commitment.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Saturday, December 08, 2007 12:43:17 PM

I have mixed feelings about this. I like the idea but for it to work it will take the group of members already doing the majority of club stuff and spread them out even thinner. Then things like course maintenance will get neglected. Maybe we should save it for the Worlds, if it happens, in 2010. Don't we have like tons of money in the bank already? What are we saving it for anyway?
matthew_blakely
Posted: Sunday, December 09, 2007 11:43:43 AM

I have mixed feeling also. I would probably help a little. I think lots of people, ungrateful people, who don't do anything will reap a good amount of the rewards. It's a lot of work and a big committment. Not trying to sound pessimestic but it's what I think will happen. I haven't really looked at the link or anything but is there any smaller package things like working 10 games instead of 20? Well See you all tommorow night.
PaulDmt
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2007 5:42:13 AM

Fred, I don't think anyone would give you grief if you wanted to raise money for the club and specify where it goes. If you're the one raising it, then you have the say.

And I'm glad to see that you're willing to support the club in some fashion since you refuse to ever run for office. Especially given that the club has tried to support your efforts at Idlewild, I'm sure you'd like to do something for once to help support the club in turn.
Fred Salaz
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2007 6:45:29 AM

Paul, I'm all for raising money. It's just that this idea would take a big commitment from a large group of people and that group of people are usually the ones that do everything else club related. Like I said before they would be spread out too thin and course work would fall by the way side.

I never ran for office because I am not politically motivated and I feel like I contribute enough both with my time doing course work with monetary donations, running tournaments, running leagues(Tuesday Ace Fund), running a course challenge or two and trying to help players with their game. I don't think YOU should question my support for the club mister, I've been here since the beginning.
PaulDmt
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2007 1:39:28 PM

Fred, You ever hear "if you want something done right, do it yourself"? What better way to see your ideas through than to run for an office, any office?

I'm wore down after dealing with the website (like 7 years now), Vice Prez under Pete, and now Prez. You should be able to relate, I want to get back to simply enjoying the game.
BIGBOY
Posted: Monday, December 10, 2007 1:58:47 PM

:shock :machinegun Boy, howdy!
matthew_blakely
Posted: Wednesday, December 12, 2007 7:27:58 AM

I have been thinking about it and I think Matt Johnston and myself will volunteer to be the Course Challenge Cooridinator unless someone else wants the position. Anybody else want it? Anybody against Blakely & Fatty Combo? Time to get Fatty involved.
Liz
Posted: Wednesday, December 12, 2007 9:01:15 AM

If you guys want to - go right ahead, I did ask Kevin Brashear at the meeting and haven't heard his final decision yet. Thanks guys.
matthew_blakely
Posted: Wednesday, December 12, 2007 9:47:46 AM

Feel Free to post thoughts, Ideas, different things about the Course Challenge series here or you can email me @ matthew_blakely@hotmail.com.

KevinB
Posted: Wednesday, December 12, 2007 10:54:33 AM

Go right ahead Matthew. I appreciate being viewed as a person that could do it, however I couldn't give it the time it deserves right now.

I will volunteer to run the Idlewild CC if there is one.
STEVO
Posted: Wednesday, December 12, 2007 10:58:32 AM

I can help also, Matt, as I suggested when I PM'ed you, or other ways if needed. Anything to help get Fatty J in the mix. :smile :smile
2Timer
Posted: Tuesday, December 25, 2007 1:16:33 PM

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good flight!
finnhawc
Posted: Tuesday, December 25, 2007 2:28:33 PM

Throw-ho-ho! Merry Christmas 2 you deuce boy.
FattyJ
Posted: Wednesday, December 26, 2007 4:21:27 PM

I was planning on starting to plan the calnedar for the 2008 with Blakely this week. I suppose we will hash out the courses to be played at the next club meeting.
Liz
Posted: Thursday, December 27, 2007 8:59:15 AM

The Course Challenge Series schedule should be submitted by the next meeting (February). It works best if a tentative schedule is compiled and then have any objections/comments brought up at the meeting - that's how Nick has done it and it seems to have worked out well.
matthew_blakely
Posted: Thursday, December 27, 2007 11:25:05 AM

We are going to wait until we have a good idea of the PDGA schedule for the surronding states, than decide the schedule and bring it to the meeting with reasons why.

If you remember Liz that is how it was done before Nick too.
DAMarlow
Posted: Wednesday, January 02, 2008 1:44:16 PM

I have the tournament directors spiral notebook. I forgot to put it back in the tournament box.

Dave.
zcallahan
Posted: Saturday, January 19, 2008 7:13:27 PM

I was wondering what I needed to do to increase my player rating? Would it help if I moved back to Ohio? I like the course in Oxford also. See you guys this summer...
bobherb
Posted: Monday, January 21, 2008 11:37:52 AM

If increasing your player rating is a priority, then just play your local courses in PDGA sanctioned tourneys.
Oh, playing them well helps too - playing well DOES seem to increase your player rating.
Many highly rated players who show up at a Worlds tourney often perform well below their player rating because they do not adapt well or are not fast learners of new courses.
If you want to become a better player, do not worry about your player rating - just play a lot of golf on a lot of different courses, preferably with good players.
Cincy does have a lot of various courses so traveling distances are not so long.
matthew_blakely
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 8:10:31 PM

Here is what I am thinking:

Sun March 23rd Mt airy CC
Sat April 12th Idlewild CC
Sat May 24th Gulley CC
Sat June 28th TurtleCreek Monroe CC (Combined CC with Dayton) Dayton Club Runs
Sat July 19th OxFord CC (Combined CC with Dayton) Cincy Club Runs
Sat Aug 2nd Harbin CC
Sun Sept 14th Williamsburg CC
Sat Oct 11th Boone CC
Sat Nov 1st Banklick CC

Any Thoughts, Questions, or Concerns?
Just because you would like something changed doesn't mean it will happen.
Final Decisions will be made prior to or at the club meeting on February 11th.
BrandonBradshaw
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 9:47:14 PM

Don't drop A.J. Jolly from the schedule. In fact, maybe you could move it up a month to September so the club can utilize the park's campground for overnight activities like camping out and glo disc. Just because there are several new courses, doesn't mean we have to incorporate ALL of them into the course challenge at once. Try 1 or maybe 2 new courses per season and see how they work out in place of some of the more easier courses such as boone. Also, let Dayton run their own events separate from ours. The crowds could be really terrible at a combined cc. The chance for miscommunication, disagreement among entities(start times, payout scales, rules, club profit, etc...) and bitterness between the two clubs could really increase during something like this. Plus it's nice to have another option each month if a person can't make a particular cc hosted by their own club.
BrandonBradshaw
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 9:56:13 PM

I just read the thread for the Dayton BID schedule, and seems as though the problems have already started with this combination idea and there hasn't even been a proposal yet.
STEVO
Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 11:53:41 PM

Okay, here's the deal. Brandon, the combined tourney concept has been lobbied for close to a year now. The idea was to somehow bring together the Cincy and Dayton players in a non-sanctioned event, sort of the way our two cities co-existed in the "good ole days". When I started playing competitively around '94, there weren't that many good courses in Cincinnati, and fewer in Dayton. ANY tournament in Cincy would attract a lot of Dayton players, likewise for Dayton tourneys. Over the years, more courses, more tournaments, and yes, more conflicts over scheduling. This problem (along with other petty squabbles between the clubs) created a considerable amount of animosity, some of it founded, some unfounded, all of it ridiculous. So now you have Dayton with a series, and Cincy with a series, and hardly anyone goes to the other club's tournaments.

So then along comes Monroe and Turtlecreek, right in the epicenter between the two cities, and close to each other. So I figure we could have a combined CCS/BID, co-hosted by the two clubs, with points counting toward both clubs' series. Use both courses, maybe have AM's start on one course, pros on the other, could be a huge turnout....

But what has been posted is a compromised solution, that's why the tentative schedule looks the way it does. It's definitely a BABY STEP in the right direction. I wish the two clubs could work together better, but it will still be really cool if this thing can be pulled off. Dayton hosts the combined event at Monore/Turtlecreek, but the points count toward our series also, just like a regular CCS. Looks like Matt B is thinking about using Ox for our hosted event, not a bad idea. It can be expanded to 24 holes, accomodating up to 120 players, and it has been popular with the Dayton guys in years past.

It's a start....

Kool Keith
Posted: Thursday, February 07, 2008 9:11:00 AM

Dropping AJ Jolly is crazy.......